Meeting the ship in Labadee

and sorry to hear about the circumstances but INSURANCE is the key to any unforseen incident. Don't blast RCL. It's business not personal....K.O.:rolleyes:

I don't think he asked for anything. If it were business, RCI should have known it's good business to take care of their guests and when something like this happens, it's a good opportunity to "wow" them with a couple of very basic comps. Dinner at Chops, a few drinks, whatever.

In my business, when customers call us with an emergency, other companies say no, too bad, should have planned ahead - we aren't working late, blah blah... We jump on those because it's a great opportunity to win that customer for life.

I would think RCI should have had a concierge or guest services person assisting this couple and making sure they were set and ready, just that extra little touch.

It's business.

I don't think he asked for anything. If it were business, RCI should have known it's good business to take care of their guests and when something like this happens, it's a good opportunity to "wow" them with a couple of very basic comps. Dinner at Chops, a few drinks, whatever.

In my business, when customers call us with an emergency, other companies say no, too bad, should have planned ahead - we aren't working late, blah blah... We jump on those because it's a great opportunity to win that customer for life.

I would think RCI should have had a concierge or guest services person assisting this couple and making sure they were set and ready, just that extra little touch.

It's business.

I agree that it's nice when a little something is offered, but saying that you are "shocked" and "almost livid" that you didn't get something does display a bit of, in my opinion, the wrong attitude. One could just be happy that RCI made an effort to help arrange their joining up with the ship mid-cruise, and consider that good service. Or you could be shocked and livid that they didn't do more. It's just a choice of how you want to look at things.

There would be some who would be unhappy with the comped dinners and/or drinks, feeling insulted that they were only offered such a paltry compensation for all the drama they went through.

Edited by Paul65

I agree that it's nice when a little something is offered, but saying that you are "shocked" and "almost livid" that you didn't get something does display a bit of, in my opinion, the wrong attitude. One could just be happy that RCI made an effort to help arrange their joining up with the ship mid-cruise, and consider that good service. Or you could be shocked and livid that they didn't do more. It's just a choice of how you want to look at things.

I am not sure I'd be shocked or livid either. So I can't really relate to that comment as well. But we are getting an "after the fact" story and who knows how everything really went down.

I try not to blame customers. So if I'm RCI and I hear a customer was shocked and livid, it would make me think it's an opportunity to do better - or at least review procedures... something. It's just how I approach things as a business owner.

It's business.

It is business. RC is mass cruise line with 4000+ passengers depending on the ship. It is not realistic to treat someone who missed boarding due to personal issues like royalty once they board the ship. A complimentary dinner and drinks, really?? If that is the case, everyone who boarded on time should receive some sort of gift because no extra work was needed to get them onboard.

If you are staying in a suite or if you are a high tiered C&A member maybe the concierge could meet you but even that should not be expected. Someone already took extra time to make arrangements for the late arrival. Obviously, there had to be communication between, land, sea and the pier to get the couple on board.

It makes sense that a smaller business would do these things to entice and retain customers. I just don't think a mass cruise line should. Nevertheless, the poster indicated she is still sailing (in an expensive suite) on RC so a customer wasn't lost. However, future expectations are probably adjusted to be more realistic.

I am not sure I'd be shocked or livid either. So I can't really relate to that comment as well. But we are getting an "after the fact" story and who knows how everything really went down.

I try not to blame customers. So if I'm RCI and I hear a customer was shocked and livid, it would make me think it's an opportunity to do better - or at least review procedures... something. It's just how I approach things as a business owner.

If I had to miss two days of a cruise for an obligation of my own, I wouldn't expect anything from the cruise line and be happy that they allowed a late boarding. To be shocked and almost livid (their words) is beyond comprehension. Sorry but I can't even imagine being a little disappointed with the cruise line.

Edited by Big_G

In April this year my daughter and her fiancee had this very issue. His grandmother died on the Thursday before they were scheduled on a Western Caribbean cruise on Oasis two days later. RCCI would not reschedule their reservation for a later cruise, so they had no choice, but to meet the ship at the second port on the ship's itinerary which was Falmouth, Jamaica. They made arrangements with RCCI to board in Jamaica and were provided with instructions to follow for obtaining their sea passes & being allowed to board. Naturally the one-way flights from NY to Jamaica and the ground transportation to the port were at their own expense. My understanding was Labadee, the first port, was not an option for joining the cruise.

Be forewarned that upon arrival at the port, the taxi was not able to get close to the ship by port security and they had to walk about a half mile carrying their luggage. And since the port is not set up to receive arriving passengers, there weren't any porters so they had to carry their luggage onboard too.

I was shocked (almost livid) that Royal did not comp my daughter and her fiancee even a free drink for missing half of the 7-day cruise due to the death in the family 2 days before the sailing date. Cozumel was the only port they were able to enjoy.

What irked me the most about the way this was handled by RCCI is that our family (including my daughter & her fiancee) are booked on the 8/21 sailing of Allure with the two 2-bedroom Aqua Theater Suites on Deck 8 for which we have paid a small fortune. This has been booked for over a year. One would think someone in customer service would have recognized the cost, effort and anxiety of catching up to a ship mid cruise and all that they missed/did not use during the first half of the cruise, What would have cost the cruiseline to extend one or more minor perks to show appreciation to a loyal Royal customer who had several stressful and grieve stricken days day? All the more perplexing since all approval/arrangements to board the ship in Jamaica were confirmed 2-days before the ship left Ft. Lauderdale. So it was clearly not a case of simply being late to Port Everglades and missing the cruise.

awww you were livid... how cute.. pfft

There are three kinds of people in the world:

Those who can count, and those who can't.

:D

My son had a T-shirt with this joke on it.

My mom didn't get the joke.

She asked, "What's the third? That's only TWO!" I tried to explain to her that THAT was the joke, she still didn't think it was funny. :D:D:D

Labadee is a beach front area of Haiti, not a cruise port with airport. Haiti is a bad place, stay away. Thousands of cruises. Cancel for all your safety and book when all can go. Find out date for final payment and cancel prior,

If I had to miss two days of a cruise for an obligation of my own, I wouldn't expect anything from the cruise line and be happy that they allowed a late boarding. To be shocked and almost livid (their words) is beyond comprehension. Sorry but I can't even imagine being a little disappointed with the cruise line.

I wouldn't EXPECT anything, really. Not freebies at least, but I would expect them to assist in getting to the ship (at my expense). And as I said, I wouldn't be upset or livid either at not getting a free drink. Just saying that some people are, and it's not my position to say it's right or wrong when there is almost certainly more to the story. RCI is doing nobody a favor by taking care of their guests, it's what they are paid to do, in a highly competitive market. If this guy was upset and livid, AND RCI was aware - if he held it to himself, his problem... but if he asks them nicely if they could do something nice for his guests and they declined, I might not be thrilled with the service or RCI's willingness to go above and beyond for their guests.

Yes, he is obviously still sailing RCI, so it couldn't have been that bad :)

Regardless, hope this trip works out for the guy trying to get his family aboard in Labadee.

Cancel for all your safety and book when all can go. Find out date for final payment and cancel prior,

Wow. I certainly wouldn't expect the rest of my family to cancel if something came up for two out of 10 members. I would want them to carry on but that's just me.

Why don't the 2 people that can't go cancel and everyone else continue with their cruise? If also if it's so far in advance, can't they find away around what is making them late?

I've been to Labadee and there's gates & a wall, it doesn't seem like an easy accessible place to board the ship.

I agree with others about getting insurance. Even if you don't take it through your agent or RCL. At least book your trip on a credit card that gives you insurance. I had a cancelled flight in Vegas that resulted me in another day and a half there, having to pay more hotel and my credit card insurance reimbursed me for it all.

Edited by adjjb12

Something pre-empting a cruise made that far in advance? Wow

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not surprising at all. I planned a cruise from Sydney this December, booking the day the cruise opened - only to find out several months ago that my niece is going to get married the same evening our cruise was to leave. I had to cancel and re-book on a shorter, less desirable itinerary at a higher cost in order to attend the wedding. Life happens. :)

I also had a Mediterranean cruise planned with my daughter a few years ago that I ended up not being able to go on due to a work commitment - I had to substitute my husband (poor guy!) in place of me post final payment.

It seems to me it is more likely a conflict will arise when you plan far in advance.

Edited by kccrzr

Not surprising at all. I planned a cruise from Sydney this December, booking the day the cruise opened - only to find out several months ago that my niece is going to get married the same evening our cruise was to leave. I had to cancel and re-book on a shorter, less desirable itinerary at a higher cost in order to attend the wedding. Life happens. :)

Meh. If I had the cruise booked first....

In all seriousness, if I had something like a wedding sprung upon me, it would seem likely that I'd have enough time to cancel without penalty and reschedule.

Edited by constable145
typo

Oh yeah! I remember you had quite the group. Did not remember having to go

through what they all did, but it did work out for you all! :)

That was our very first RCI cruise, celebrating my half century birthday! :)

Yeah we were quite a group. I remember you celebrating your birthday. Half century looks good to me now!!

Edited by SherriZ366

Meh. If I had the cruise booked first....

In all seriousness, if I had something like a wedding sprung upon me, it would seem likely that I'd have enough time to cancel without penalty and reschedule.

And I assume you live in the US? Not everyone can cancel without penalty. In the UK (and Australia I believe) you lose your deposit however far out you cancel.

Edited by Bobal

...I was shocked (almost livid) that Royal did not comp my daughter and her fiancee even a free drink for missing half of the 7-day cruise...
Wow, talk about a sense of entitlement. I don't think there is any contractual right to downstream boarding, but rather it is done as a courtesy. If I worked for RCI and looked at comments like this, I might say why are we bothering to allow this to be done if this is the thanks we get, do away with this courtesy. BTW there are free drinks available in the Suite Lounge for Suite Guests.

This isn't exactly on topic.. but I think it is quite interesting.

In our last stop in Labadee, fellow passengers on the tram were bringing several suitcases with them. I remarked about them not being light packers for the beach. :D

The wonderful lady explained she was leaving the port area, going into Haiti to meet with family and/or friends and bringing lots of things to them. We talked about the issues and such of life in Haiti. I believe she said she had previously lived on the island.

Interestingly, on our way back to the ship on the tram, she was there heading back to the ship. It was great to hear her stories of the appreciation of the residents/family/friends for her visit and what she brought. She remarked the suitcases were empty.

So, yes, it is possible to leave Labadee and come back to the ship. Certainly that doesn't mean they would let you (or want you to) meet the ship there. And, I'm not implying you would really want to do that.

In our last stop in Labadee, fellow passengers on the tram were bringing several suitcases with them. I remarked about them not being light packers for the beach. :D

The wonderful lady explained she was leaving the port area, going into Haiti to meet with family and/or friends and bringing lots of things to them. We talked about the issues and such of life in Haiti. I believe she said she had previously lived on the island.

Interestingly, on our way back to the ship on the tram, she was there heading back to the ship. It was great to hear her stories of the appreciation of the residents/family/friends for her visit and what she brought. She remarked the suitcases were empty.

So, yes, it is possible to leave Labadee and come back to the ship. Certainly that doesn't mean they would let you (or want you to) meet the ship there. And, I'm not implying you would really want to do that.

You have to have permission in advance to leave the gated area in Haiti. And they will want a reason as it can't just be I want to site see and this isn't something they regularly allow.

I wonder if she just met friends/family at the gate. Doesn't seem like she could have gone very far beyond the gate in that short amount of time.

Here is the contact info:

Q: Can I take a partial cruise?

A: Yes! Partial cruises allow you to enjoy part of your cruise vacation in the event that you are unable to meet the ship in the scheduled boarding port, or would like to end your cruise earlier than the scheduled departure date.

The issue, as I see it, isn't if the family members can arrive during a cruise but can they arrive to Labadee.

Good luck OP!

Hi again everyone! Sorry to see the thread get turned a bit sideways! I'm giving RC till the end of this week before I call back and will let everyone know when I get an answer one way or the other. Originally, I simply asked if anyone on CC had any experience meeting a ship at Labadee. I am not expecting anything special from RC; either our two group members can or can't meet us there. None of this is Royal's fault; it simply is what it is😉 No, we don't have insurance but as stated the rest of us are going and if the two have to, they can meet us in Jamaica. Final payment for our group isn't till October. Again, didn't mean to ruffle feathers just asking a group of very knowledgeable CCer's for any info....

Hi again everyone! Sorry to see the thread get turned a bit sideways! I'm giving RC till the end of this week before I call back and will let everyone know when I get an answer one way or the other. Originally, I simply asked if anyone on CC had any experience meeting a ship at Labadee. I am not expecting anything special from RC; either our two group members can or can't meet us there. None of this is Royal's fault; it simply is what it is😉 No, we don't have insurance but as stated the rest of us are going and if the two have to, they can meet us in Jamaica. Final payment for our group isn't till October. Again, didn't mean to ruffle feathers just asking a group of very knowledgeable CCer's for any info....

Welcome back. I will take this opportunity to repeat the best advice on this thread: Tell them to meet the ship in Jamaica.

:)