No Children Cruises

Most expedition cruises have maximum ages and some have health restrictions and require passengers to be in good health and completely mobile without assistive devices.

Ah, I didn't know, though it makes perfect sense. Just like those learning that there are cruises that forbid children.......

As one of those dreadful, obnoxious scooter users, due to being disabled from polio 60 years ago, I assure you that I, along with a vast majority of those confined to scooters, would much prefer to be able to walk, but we have no choice. Would you deny disabled persons the right to travel just so you, and those of your ilk, aren't forced to play "frogger"? Just remember this, "there but for the grace of God, go I". But maybe someday you'll be forced to join the frogger brigade, and I wonder if you'll stop traveling?
Playing Devil's Advocate - and before I get torn to shreds - I'm a wheelchair user! - I did wonder on my one and only cruise so far, how they would handle a major emergency given the fairly large number of passengers, not only with scooters but mobility issues in general (using canes/walkers/etc. and generally looking like they'd have no hope of handling stairs even in an emergency).

And while I'd hate to be told that I couldn't travel because of my disabilities,it does make me wonder how many staff/crew are allocated to assisting passengers with mobility issues in case of emergency (& what that staff:passenger ratio is) & whether cruise lines actually impose a limit on how many passengers with mobility issues they'll carry.

As for children - while I'm no fan of them (and can understand people's wishes for a kid-free holiday) I'd sooner travel with well behaved children than the few (minority, I admit) over-privileged older folk with hyper-inflated sense of self-entitlement I've encountered on my travels :eek: (least the small variety of human can often be quieted with a death stare :D )

Playing Devil's Advocate - and before I get torn to shreds - I'm a wheelchair user! - I did wonder on my one and only cruise so far, how they would handle a major emergency given the fairly large number of passengers, not only with scooters but mobility issues in general (using canes/walkers/etc. and generally looking like they'd have no hope of handling stairs even in an emergency).

And while I'd hate to be told that I couldn't travel because of my disabilities,it does make me wonder how many staff/crew are allocated to assisting passengers with mobility issues in case of emergency (& what that staff:passenger ratio is) & whether cruise lines actually impose a limit on how many passengers with mobility issues they'll carry.

As for children - while I'm no fan of them (and can understand people's wishes for a kid-free holiday) I'd sooner travel with well behaved children than the few (minority, I admit) over-privileged older folk with hyper-inflated sense of self-entitlement I've encountered on my travels :eek: (least the small variety of human can often be quieted with a death stare :D )

I don't like unruly people in general....adults...kids...seniors...self entitled snobs...the list is endless...

Ones own children are a wonderful thing to have in life and when raised and educated properly....the reality is....

That you have more than likely produced your own life long best friends!!!

I know I have

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Isn't that what creates children?

Thankfully not with today's technology. Or at least you can romance responsibly and not be taken by surprise. Nexplanon's failure rate is only .05% :D

I like the idea of a small cruise but I feel like I'd miss out on all of the fun things that the bigger ships offer.

I would suggest taking a Paul Gaugin cruise if you don't want children. Smaller ships catering to romance.

Only one ship, and there were several bored and very disruptive young children when we sailed on them. Windstar would be a better choice. Very rare to see children on them. Unfortunately not the case with PG.

Thankfully not with today's technology. Or at least you can romance responsibly and not be taken by surprise. Nexplanon's failure rate is only .05% :D

I like the idea of a small cruise but I feel like I'd miss out on all of the fun things that the bigger ships offer.

Take a port intensive Meed cruise and you won't have time to miss anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I look at it this way.... We were all children at one time and we all may become the person in the wheelchair, if we aren't already. I do my best to not be offended by either or any in between, which is challenging in some circumstances!

I can understand why someone would desire a vacay away from children and it certainly doesn't brand them hateful in my mind. I don't enjoy being forced to deal with unruly kids, smokers who don't mind the rules, people with lost inhibitions or tempers due to being over served... ( you get the idea).

My cruises have been 25% with my own children and 75% with just my husband or at times with another couple. Cruising is largely our time to take a break from being parents and just be a couple. Still, we book ALL of our cruises during times when school is in session. I find that cruising when the kid count is about 10% of the entire passenger load to be the nicest balance. At this level, I think someone who desires to avoid kids would probably be content, especially on a line that keeps kids occupied. When there are too few kids, the clubs aren't fun and more of the kids will be out and about looking for something to do ;)

If you do encounter kids on your cruise, please remember that they aren't all going to negatively impact your relaxation and fun, and the ones who ARE acting badly probably have never been taught how to do better. People are afraid to speak to someone else's kids anymore. I will tell them what they need to hear - no problem. I am halfway through raising 8 of them and very little frightens me :rolleyes:

With that said, when I cruise or dine out with my hubby, I feel no shame in asking for the kid free section ;)

• 10 months later...

Steve, check out Viking Ocean, the cruises are more all inclusive and no children. I booked a 2 week to Europe with them coming up because of the no kids rule :)

I have never been on a cruise before and I am looking at a 10-14 night cruise next September/October 2017. I only have one 'must' and that is NO CHILDREN. Can anyone suggest some crusie's to consider please. I don't mind Europe or Caribbean cruise.

Thanks everyone

Steve :)

Premium and luxury cruise lines have very few children when school is in session (in North America). Many times there are no children on board. Those that take their children out of school or are home-schooled and can travel at will are met with strange looks on these cruise ships. ITOOM (in the opinion of many) it is selfish to book children on a cruise line that caters to adults - ships that offer little to do for children..

Although my comments may be ignored, hopefully parents of children will think about this. Many of us that prefer cruises without children have "been there - done that". Our lives were full of everything children ...... Disneyland and/or any place that our children can be safe, entertained and enjoy themselves. Our wishes/desires came last and we realized that this is how it should be. If we do our job, our children are at college or out of the house at 18 or above and it becomes "our time".

No more sitting in an airplane with a child kicking our seat or running through the isles. Everything that we have sacrificed for 18+ years dissolves and we can enjoy different experiences.

"Our time" doesn't come easy! We can't travel during the summer, during Spring break (which varies across the country) and during the various holidays that fall in December - early January. We are limited not only by the time of the year but by the cruise lines we can sail. Disney, Royal Caribbean, NCL and many more cruise lines cater to children (year around). For the most part, we need to pay more money in order to have the child-free (or almost child-free) experience that we are seeking.

It is sad that so many parents don't "get it". Hopefully, when your children are either out of the house or are "doing their own thing" you will remember this post. And, again hopefully, you will have "your time" while you are still healthy enough to enjoy it.

You are going to have to buy your own yacht, then...ALL mainstream cruise lines have kids on them...some more than others. Unless the ship is over-run with the adorable tots, they shouldn't worry you in the least! They aren't yours...ignore them!

This is not true. You won't find children on Viking. Travelers under the age of 18 must be in a cabin with someone over 21 and they limit the number allowed. There are no children's activities.

And the OP didn't mention mainstream lines

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't realize this was a year old thread but if OP Steve is still around, I suggest he look into Viking - either river or ocean. They have no programs nor accommodations for children and limit the number of those under 18

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is sad that so many parents don't "get it". Hopefully, when your children are either out of the house or are "doing their own thing" you will remember this post. And, again hopefully, you will have "your time" while you are still healthy enough to enjoy it.

Well I don't get it. I do get that you don't want to cruise with other people's kids but I also get that many families want to holiday together, including on a cruise and line of their choice, possibly one that you would not take your children on back in the day. We enjoyed our holidays with the kids and now we enjoy them without them and will soon enjoy a cruise with our 2 year old GD, DD and SIL. What am I missing? (perhaps nothing, but I'm not sure, I can be a bit thick at times)

Hi

I have never been on a cruise before and I am looking at a 10-14 night cruise next September/October 2017. I only have one 'must' and that is NO CHILDREN. Can anyone suggest some crusie's to consider please. I don't mind Europe or Caribbean cruise.

Thanks everyone

Steve :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++If you can fly to Europe, your best bet is a Transatlantic cruise. They usually leave from Rome or Barcelona in late October and end up mostly in Florida. They are relatively free of children. I think on our last one the captain announced that there were 30 kids aboard . Very good bargains also.

To me, that's a lot of children -- I guess it depends on the capacity of the ship and one's expectations. To me, being "relatively free of children" would mean having 2 or 3 aboard.

The typical T/A probably carries over 2,000 passengers - 30 children is 1 1/2 % vs 98 1/2% adults - that certainly strikes me as being "relatively free of children".

But, to the point: while I do not cruise with my children or grandchildren, I find it almost pathetic to insist that there be no children at all. I think I would prefer to cruise with up to 10% children (assuming they would be traveling with moderately attentive parents) than on a ship purely loaded with people who cannot stand the idea of even one child,

They would be a dreary, self-absorbed lot.

To me, that's a lot of children -- I guess it depends on the capacity of the ship and one's expectations. To me, being "relatively free of children" would mean having 2 or 3 aboard.

Agree with you completely! The ships we sail on are from 490 to 750 passengers and on transatlantic there is either no children or perhaps 1 or 2. Generally, as has been said, the longer the cruise the more children.

navybankerteacher - must disagree with you. People that prefer cruises with no children are generally not self-absorbed. Rather, they are either taking a romantic break from the 24/7 job of child-rearing (with the kids at the grandparents home), are teachers that love children but are with them every day at school and again - need a break, or, those of us that have raised our children and are enjoying a bit of freedom. We are generally a happy bunch of people and are neither self-absorbed or child-haters.

We are traveling with our three grandchildren all under the age of 5 on our next cruise. Fair warning to the children haters

They are so much fun and have huge appetites. Especially for lobster, shrimp, clams, mussels, ice cream, and lots of fruit.

They learned the song God Bless America in preschool this year singing it in their car seats and will be singing it on the Sail-Away as we pass the Statue of Liberty

Howard

Edited by hm9912

Agree with you completely! The ships we sail on are from 490 to 750 passengers and on transatlantic there is either no children or perhaps 1 or 2. Generally, as has been said, the longer the cruise the more children.

navybankerteacher - must disagree with you. People that prefer cruises with no children are generally not self-absorbed. Rather, they are either taking a romantic break from the 24/7 job of child-rearing (with the kids at the grandparents home), are teachers that love children but are with them every day at school and again - need a break, or, those of us that have raised our children and are enjoying a bit of freedom. We are generally a happy bunch of people and are neither self-absorbed or child-haters.

Whoever said "the longer the cruise the more children" is simply wrong. As soon as you pass a week, and certainly ten days or so, the number of children drops sharply.

There are very few trans-Atlantic sailings with "490 to 750" passengers.

And, "a happy bunch of people". who "are neither self-absorbed or child-haters" would not bother to even notice a few children. Having to be in an adult-only cocoon is an unfortunate condition, for the affliction with which I pity you.

Whoever said "the longer the cruise the more children" is simply wrong. As soon as you pass a week, and certainly ten days or so, the number of children drops sharply.

There are very few trans-Atlantic sailings with "490 to 750" passengers.

And, "a happy bunch of people". who "are neither self-absorbed or child-haters" would not bother to even notice a few children. Having to be in an adult-only cocoon is an unfortunate condition, for the affliction with which I pity you.

First, I apologize for my HUGE typo (darn Apple keyboards):rolleyes:. Obviously the longer the cruise, the less children.

Pity me? What an unkind and rude comment - certainly not the kind of comment that is usually accepted on CC. No one is asking you or anyone else to enjoy a childless cruise. And, "a happy bunch of people" would certainly notice a child running through the areas, rolling around the dance floor - disrupting people trying to dance, etc. (all things that we have seen).

The TS (thread starter) would like to know about cruises without children. All the other comments are really off-topic. Since you have such strong feelings about sailing with children and if you cannot contribute information relevant to this thread, are you only here to criticize those of us with interest in this subject?

Hoping that we can continue sharing information about cruises and cruise lines that have the least amount of children for those of us who wish such an experience.

Man, people sure take others not wanting to be around lots of kids—something that has absolutely no effect on them—personally. I didn't realize that preferring the company of adults was something to be pitied. I grew up in a home used as a literal daycare—I feel a lot worse about that! I had more than one lifetime's fair share of kids packed into the first 20 years of my life and I'm pretty content to seek out adult-oriented experiences from now on. Maybe what's really self-absorbed is thinking that everyone on earth has to be as interested in your offspring as you are.