Next Price Gouge??? Predicting Only

karoo

As I have been reading the threads about the new water/soda policy I have read people asking-what will be next?

Well since my last cruise in May I now get all NCL emails in German- (Despite me replying to inform them I don't understand German). I decided to actually translate one of them. As part of their free perks they have been offered, free onboard child activities, free admission to the fitness centre and free food from the 24 hour restaurants. Are these going to be the new charges once the water/soda policy has settled in? I have no facts-I'm just predicting that these might be the next charges as why would the German's be offered these perks for free, if they are already free.

Any other ideas as to what is next?

I have felt for some time that we will eventually only see 3-4 entree choices (1 poultry, 1 fish, 1-2 meat) inclusive with SDP at the specialty restaraunts and all other entree options carry a surcharge of $5-8

I also expect to eventually seem "premium" menu selections appear on the O'Sheehans menu.

These are a matter of when, not if IMHO

We are getting to the stage where NCL is going to lose our business unless there are real changes in their head office attitude towards their customers.

Yes-that's already happening. I was so looking forward to NCL coming to Aus/Asia as I could do cruises with them that I wouldn't have to pay large airfares for, but compared to the cruise lines we already have here they are charging way more. I do like the anytime dining which is probably what has kept me loyal for so long, but I certainly didn't like being told I couldn't take my food back to the cabin from the Blue Lagoon last cruise on the Jade in May/June.

Yes-that's already happening. I was so looking forward to NCL coming to Aus/Asia as I could do cruises with them that I wouldn't have to pay large airfares for, but compared to the cruise lines we already have here they are charging way more. I do like the anytime dining which is probably what has kept me loyal for so long, but I certainly didn't like being told I couldn't take my food back to the cabin from the Blue Lagoon last cruise on the Jade in May/June.

I thought they were a bit expensive too, but the itinerary I've booked was pretty unusual, so bit the bullet. But I still think $300 a day for a mid ship balcony is a bit steep. That did include three specialty restaurants and a drink package each, as non drinkers the package isn't worth that much to us, I guess if you'd be buying it anyway it made the price OK.

I have no facts-I'm just predicting that these might be the next charges as why would the German's be offered these perks for free, if they are already free.

The German's aren't being offered "perks for free" – the mails you are getting are simply stating, as do those in any other language – what you get for your money. Interest in cruise holidays is relatively recent in Germany, with many potential customers unfamiliar with everything a cruise entails. Regular cruisers take it for granted that you can stuff your face for free 24 hours a day, offload the kids without paying extra and use the fitness centre without shelling out more than what you pay up front but these are indeed attractive selling points in a market where cruising still has the image of being ultra-expensive and somewhat elite. It's basically justifying the cost compared to your regular two weeks in Ballermann.

Moreover, the cruising industry in Germany is still dominated by Tui and Aida; both offer all-inclusive packages. In Germany (and, as far as I know, Austria and Switzerland), NCL offers this too, in order to compete with Tui and Aida, I assume. In the basic price that we pay here for the cruise, the UBP (including 18% service charge) plus all gratuities are included. There's none of this "select your perk" business (although they might have an OBC campaign from time to time) so, you see, the "freebies" the OP mentioned aren't being offered as some sort of optional – it's simply more of a "Here's what you get. Aren't we super?" thing... and that happens in every market and every language. :)

Based on recent experience I would expect NCL to be introducing an "Exclusive Up To The Minute Updates of Itinerary Changes" service. Passengers will, for a 'small fee' (plus 18% gratuity), be notified a fortnight in advance of any changes to their cruise itinerary. This will, of course, be subject to standard exclusions such as 'unforeseen circumstances' and sudden realisations that all passengers have selected non-NCL shore excursions. :p

$5 surcharge for each negative post you make on CC and mention NCL, $10 if you say something nice

Ha! Ha! I wondered how long it would take for the shareholders to come out. They remind me of all those one - eyed parents who thought their children were perfect and could never admit they would ever do anything wrong. ;)

Apologies also to Masurida for misinterpreting the email. As I stated earlier I'm unsure why I keep getting the German emails as I can't read or comprehend them. I wish they would send me the US ones they used to send me before my last cruise.

One fee I'd love to see would be levied on those passengers who cruise with NCL only for the purpose of complaining endlessly. In hopes that would send them elsewhere so they could spread their negativity across other cruise options.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

One fee I'd love to see would be levied on those passengers who cruise with NCL only for the purpose of complaining endlessly. In hopes that would send them elsewhere so they could spread their negativity across other cruise options.

my thoughts as well: I wonder if all the "I hate NCL" cruisers really understand, not just NCL is adding and taking away. It is like the airlines, they will get every penny they can.

can't imagine why anyone can complain about not being allowed to bring soda or water on board. Have many of us walk into a restaurant with our own soda?

For all those who have nothing better to do but gripe, I don't think NCL will miss you one bit.

my thoughts as well: I wonder if all the "I hate NCL" cruisers really understand, not just NCL is adding and taking away. It is like the airlines, they will get every penny they can.

can't imagine why anyone can complain about not being allowed to bring soda or water on board. Have many of us walk into a restaurant with our own soda?

For all those who have nothing better to do but gripe, I don't think NCL will miss you one bit.

Well, I can't speak for others but I have been critical of NCL since Del Rio took over (if you take that as complaining so be it) and I have been critical for a reason- I liked the way NCL was and I don't like what Del Rio is changing NCL in to. I do not love or hate any company, I am not investing that type of emotional attachment into an artificial construct.

This is such a stupid thread. No substance, facts and all speculation. Thanks for wasting my time in reading such nonsense.

This prediction is for you Abe!

I predict that the toilet in our cabins will remain complimentary, but all other ship board washrooms will be fitted with a card swipe lock and we will be charged a $4.99 fee to our accounts. A new golden stream of revenue for FDR and Andy! For our convenience!:eek:

This prediction is for you Abe!

I predict that the toilet in our cabins will remain complimentary, but all other ship board washrooms will be fitted with a card swipe lock and we will be charged a $4.99 fee to our accounts. A new golden stream of revenue for FDR and Andy! For our convenience!:eek:

If you hate the leadership so much why do you keep cruising with NCL? Maybe you should go to another line and spend your money elsewhere. Obviously they are hired to run a business and if they are not doing well or making profits for the company they will be taken out.

If you hate the leadership so much why do you keep cruising with NCL? Maybe you should go to another line and spend your money elsewhere. Obviously they are hired to run a business and if they are not doing well or making profits for the company they will be taken out.

Criticizing someone means that we hate them?

Ha! Ha! I wondered how long it would take for the shareholders to come out. They remind me of all those one - eyed parents who thought their children were perfect and could never admit they would ever do anything wrong. ;)

I doubt there is anyone here who thinks NCL or any other line is without flaws and no one thinks any one line is angelic perfection. Just because people are positive doesn't mean they are cheerleaders or shareholders, it most likely just means they are tired of incessant whining, especially in threads like this that are nothing more than bored speculation.

It's considered a cliche by some of you but seriously, if you aren't happy with a company take your money elsewhere. NCL, RCI, Carnival, et al, will not miss you. They will replace you.

Living life with a half empty glass must get tiresome.

This is such a stupid thread. No substance, facts and all speculation. Thanks for wasting my time in reading such nonsense.

And there it is! The 1st "Real NCL Cheerleader" has come forth. You do realize you could have skipped over this thread right? You have to accept that some people are not happy with NCL right now, me included. BTW the name of this website is Cruise CRITIC.

Edited by Batman's Skivvies

The bottom line is to some NCL can do no wrong and to others it can do no right, that's always going to be the way it is.

The truth lies somewhere in between and that's what's scary about the people on either side of the extreme. For those of us that criticize every NCL move, get over it, they have a right to tweak their product. And, to those of us that think everything NCL does is Ok, be very careful in what you wish for.

While most can't carry soda or water into land based restaurants, you can in land based hotel rooms. What's next, no carry on film for your cameras?, better yet, no cameras, After all NCL provides many photographers to take pictures and don't they have a right to make money?

The point is take, take, take eventually ruins the product. So yes, the water ban in the overall picture is insignificant but it is another straw on the Camels back.

I have felt for some time that we will eventually only see 3-4 entree choices (1 poultry, 1 fish, 1-2 meat) inclusive with SDP at the specialty restaraunts and all other entree options carry a surcharge of $5-8

I also expect to eventually seem "premium" menu selections appear on the O'Sheehans menu.

These are a matter of when, not if IMHO

NCL has followed the airline industry very very well with some 10 different subtypes of standard balconies, surcharge items etc.

I expect;

Priority boarding/disembarkation (like Carnival with their FTTF) for a surcharge.

VIP or Haven gangway in ports of call or at least guaranteed to the front of line service by staff.

Surcharges for certain tables, like two tops near windows in restaurants/MDR.

Surcharge access to bow/heli pad at special events besides Haven pax.

Higher charge for certain peak dining times.

Paid amenities for stateroom, like luxury soap or better linen, etc.

It will be much more tailor made, like everything around us.

Who could have guessed that you would have the same cramped airline seat in the first rows with the word Premium stitched on it and have a free beer for about $10/hour rates versus the ones behind you these days. Tried that telling a few years ago to the folks flying PanAm, smoking cigars, chef dinners and with all the glitter and glamour? :)

Edited by FreestyleNovice

I am trying to get my head around the original post. If the comparison is about bottled water previously beginning offered for free, that was never the case. You could bring it on for free but it wasn't free on board. Soda is included with most of the drink packages, as long as you are talking about Pepsi products, or you can purchase sodas for a fee (again Pepsi products). Exactly what was previously free that has now been taken away, unless they meant the ability to bring those items on board?

Last time I checked you are not allowed to bring on board your own buffet, fitness center or children's programs.

And there it is! The 1st "Real NCL Cheerleader" has come forth. You do realize you could have skipped over this thread right? You have to accept that some people are not happy with NCL right now' date=' me included. BTW the name of this website is Cruise CRITIC.[/quote']

Apparently many here do not understand the definition of CRITIC. It does NOT mean to always be critical.

"The Greek word kritikos, meaning “able to judge,” gives us the root critic. Words from the Greek kritikos have something to do with judging. A critic is someone who judges the value or quality or something, such as a movie or book, OR CRUISE LINE." Critics are, above all, supposed to be fair.

SO....someone who praises NCL is just as much a CRITIC as those of you who are compulsive bashers. SMH