Next Price Gouge??? Predicting Only

karoo

I don't think the industry has their wires crossed. Many, if not most people, expect to spend money during their vacations. No everyone has the goal of leaving a ship with a zero balance.

Well said. This thread just reminds me of the threads from years back when people would proudly post their experiences of walking off of the ship with a $0 balance after not experiencing anything but what was included. I can tell you for a fact, these are the types of guests that cruise lines have no problem seeing walk away. Personally I don't understand how anyone can fully enjoy their cruise under those circumstances.

I don't think the industry has their wires crossed. Many, if not most people, expect to spend money during their vacations. No everyone has the goal of leaving a ship with a zero balance.

I expect to spend money on vacation but I certainly don't go on vacation to spend money. There is a subtle difference.

Hi Gut,

We got the free drink package too but I noticed both me and my husband got charged $99 each. I called NCL last night and said, we wouldn't even drink $200 worth of alcohol or coffee in 1 week so why am I tipping $200. She said they base the tips off of any drink that is under $15. I thinking tipping $200 in a week is excessive!!!

The tipping for the package is based on what the package would have cost you had you purchased it- $79 per day per person.

Well said. This thread just reminds me of the threads from years back when people would proudly post their experiences of walking off of the ship with a $0 balance after not experiencing anything but what was included. I can tell you for a fact, these are the types of guests that cruise lines have no problem seeing walk away. Personally I don't understand how anyone can fully enjoy their cruise under those circumstances.

My onboard balance was $126 after my last cruise. Of course I had pre-purchased my excursions, pre-paid the service charges and pre-purchased $1100 in OBC. If NCL wants to chase me away that's up to them:).

My onboard balance was $126 after my last cruise. Of course I had pre-purchased my excursions, pre-paid the service charges and pre-purchased $1100 in OBC. If NCL wants to chase me away that's up to them:).
I personally don't feel that NCL or any other cruise line that makes changes are trying to chase anyone away it is merely a business decision on their part and nothing personal, but if it were me that thought they are trying to chase me away, then I wouldn't give them one red cent of my hard earned money.

I personally don't feel that NCL or any other cruise line that makes changes are trying to chase anyone away it is merely a business decision on their part and nothing personal, but if it were me that thought they are trying to chase me away, then I wouldn't give them one red cent of my hard earned money.

Many on here who are smarter than I am (at least that's how they present themselves;)) believe that Del Rio wants to get rid of certain cruisers because they don't represent the clientele he wants for one reason or another (don't spend enough onboard, are too demanding, etc.). I haven't seen anything that would lead me directly to that conclusion so I don't know if that is what Del Rio wants to do and for now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the matter.

The poster that I responded to stated earlier that if someone isn't prepared or willing to spend money they should stay home and in a later post stated that cruise lines have no trouble seeing people who spend 0 onboard walking away and it was to that implication that I was responding to.

(And the cruise fare will keep NCL from getting another red cent from me more than anything else. I just priced a cruise out of NYC on the Gem for June 2017 and it is $1600 more than a cruise on CCL. I am not ready to book right now but I know which one I would pick.)

Edited by sparks1093

Many on here who are smarter than I am (at least that's how they present themselves;)) believe that Del Rio wants to get rid of certain cruisers because they don't represent the clientele he wants for one reason or another (don't spend enough onboard, are too demanding, etc.). I haven't seen anything that would lead me directly to that conclusion so I don't know if that is what Del Rio wants to do and for now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the matter.

The poster that I responded to stated earlier that if someone isn't prepared or willing to spend money they should stay home and in a later post stated that cruise lines have no trouble seeing people who spend 0 onboard walking away and it was to that implication that I was responding to.

I think some might think they are smarter in their own minds, but I don't think anyone on here is smarter than the next person when it comes to reading Mr. Del Rio's mind; it is merely their opinion as to if they feel Mr. Del Rio wants to get ride of certain cruisers.

I do agree that all cruise lines try to maximize onboard spending in one way or another, as that is a huge revenue stream for them; I cruise on other lines and they have the same complaints. I also feel that someone can go on a cruise and have a wonderful time and not spend one dime and actually I did that on my first few cruises way back when I first started cruising, as there is so much free food, free things to drink, free entertainment, etc.

Well said. This thread just reminds me of the threads from years back when people would proudly post their experiences of walking off of the ship with a $0 balance after not experiencing anything but what was included.

Personally I don't understand how anyone can fully enjoy their cruise under those circumstances.

wow.. for someone in the hospitality industry, you're clueless

Edited by fstuff1

Once we use our 2 certs we are starting to look elsewhere but we are also planning on upgrading the type of cabin we get

So Ncl is losing us just as we are finishing up on college tuitions and have much more money to spend

What Ncl doesn't realize that sometimes pax book bottom rung cabins like we have the last 5 years but that's not because we can't EVER afford it Its that we can't afford it right now

2004/7. Balconies

2008/11/12. Outsides

20013/14/15/16 insides

2017 and beyond..when we have less tuition plus we will have 3 well employed well compensated young adults who pay their is way......

Ncl is NOT on any of our lists

So just when we can all splurge....we will surge elsewhere as our kids see the same issues with Ncl that we do and since we are still planning an annual family cruise....and they let me do the research and booking....it WILL be elsewhere

So Ncl lost 2 parents. 4 kids and prospective spouses.

Actually the water is what broke the camels back because we never brought it on before but now dh must have bottled water at the ready....so no time to get it at the buffet....and per medical orders...bottled water only

I will buy a case on board but I'll use my obc and not bother with the extra bottles of wine we normally buy

Just sayin

Edited by luvtheships

So Ncl lost 2 parents. 4 kids and prospective spouses.

What we all have to realize is that even though NCL might lose 2, 4 or 6 or more customers, they gain new customers every day. So even though we might think we have this huge impact on their bottom line, we really don't as we are replaced by others. Others who might spend more or less than us.

How about charges as punishments, specifically for chair hogs. That's a charge I can be happy with.

For every hour your chair is left unattended, NCL will charge you $10, for everyone else's convenience :).

Well that is interesting - NCL Deck Chairs with parking meters and tow away

threats for an overextended stay !

Sort of goes with the water wars debacle - food buffet take out - increased

tariff cabin rates - and what appears of a FDR going out of business sale

taking his cruise to new heights really needing a Golden Parachute to escape

the planned mayhem !

What we all have to realize is that even though NCL might lose 2, 4 or 6 or more customers, they gain new customers every day. So even though we might think we have this huge impact on their bottom line, we really don't as we are replaced by others. Others who might spend more or less than us.

I'm not trying to argue, and I think sometimes a business has to realize that the effort/cost to keep some customers is not cost effective, but there have been many studies done showing that, in general, the cost to keep a current customer is way below the cost to attract a new customer.

That is why every year when my satellite radio renewal comes in I call and tell them to cancel and they then offer to renew me at half the cost. Seems like we could just skip the charade and they could renew me for what I'm currently paying, but maybe they think I'll get lazy and just renew one year at the higher payment.

A for-profit business would always try to make more money from its customers. A consumer on the other hand would want to spend the least on a service or product he wants. Both objectives are understandable and the way it should be in a free and competitive market. I don't understand the constant bitterness here towards NCL just because things were done differently in the past. Vote with your feet if you think you can get a better deal somewhere else. NCL is already doing it.

Re allocating much of my cruising budget may not impact NCL's bottom line, and I an not too concerned about that. However -- It does make a positive impact on MY BOTTOM LINE and that is very important to me.

I do find NCL's progress in Mr Del Rio's plan interesting and it is being reflected in their vital statistics.

I absolutely agree with people who say that everyone is entitled to express their opinion, whether it be critical, supportive or somewhere in the middle (which is where most people are).

However comments of this sort, which basically criticise anyone who doesn't agree with the poster really don't help.

I am far from an uncritical loyalist. However, the changes that NCL have made lately make very little difference to us. In fact, some have improved my cruise experience and the prices haven't changed much, so we will still cruise with them.

If this changes then we will look elsewhere. It won't be because we have "wised up" though.

Perhaps not uncritical, but certainly a loyalist. Have you ever considered trying another line to see other ways of doing things?

Perhaps not uncritical, but certainly a loyalist. Have you ever considered trying another line to see other ways of doing things?

It's not really relevant to this discussion, but yes, of course I have considered other lines. Not to see how they do things, as there is no great secret to that.

I used to have no brand loyalty at all, but as I've got older I see the benefits to me (not necessarily to others) of sticking to what you know works.

Travel to me is generally about seeing different places. The ship is one of the ways of getting there (not all our holidays are cruises), so as long as it does what I want then why change. I need a room, some restaurants, some bars, quiet places and not to be told when to eat or how to dress. Other lines can do that, but so can NCL.

The closest I've been to other lines was when it looked like new itineraries were drying up, but all my booked cruises include a majority of new ports (except the Baltics, which we haven't done for a long time), so I'm happy where I am. The one exception was the Epic Western Med round trip, which we have done four times as we particularly like the ship. On our last trip, we decided we've now done those ports more than enough, so that will be it at least for a while.

So, to answer your question, yes I have considered other lines, but it just isn't an important issue for me. If NCL change to the extent that it adversely affects our holiday, or we want an itinerary that NCL don't offer, or if we just fancy a change then I will happily move elsewhere. Until then, I really see no reason for change. When I want a different holiday then I want that difference to be more than what companies name is on the side of the ship.

A for-profit business would always try to make more money from its customers. A consumer on the other hand would want to spend the least on a service or product he wants. Both objectives are understandable and the way it should be in a free and competitive market. I don't understand the constant bitterness here towards NCL just because things were done differently in the past. Vote with your feet if you think you can get a better deal somewhere else. NCL is already doing it.

Absolutely but that's not the problem. The problem is that Del Rio is changing the direction NCL is taking and the way that he is going about it. Usually when a company wants to charge more for their product they at least give the impression that enhancements have been made in said product. NCL seems to be writing an IOU to the current passengers- we're going to increase what you pay in order to bring you a better cruise line later. As I pointed out up thread a cruise on the Gem was $1600 more than a cruise on CCL. I enjoyed our cruise on the Gem but I've seen nothing that would lead me to conclude that the ship is now worth $1600 more to sail on.

I have felt for some time that we will eventually only see 3-4 entree choices (1 poultry, 1 fish, 1-2 meat) inclusive with SDP at the specialty restaraunts and all other entree options carry a surcharge of $5-8

I also expect to eventually seem "premium" menu selections appear on the O'Sheehans menu.

These are a matter of when, not if IMHO

O'Sheehans already has a premium dessert menu with some awesome sundaes :eek:

I don't see where they can add more fees. But I expect to see more cutbacks. The biggest test will be to see what the new entertainment will be for the shows that expired. I don't expect to see the top tier entertainment we normally get from NCL.

Edited by david_sobe

Well I've just read on another forum it's been officially announced- Margaritaville to replace Uptown Grill and Flamingos on Breakaway and Getaway. So the rumour mill was correct, but it is for our convenience as apparently we all love the island feel of Margaritaville onboard. [emoji6]

It is about to happen!!!! :mad:

This has been decided BEFORE the cruise even departs.

They are going to miss a port, one of only 3 in a named area of a same named area 7 day cruise. Then take you back to the embarkation/debarkation port a day early and allow you to stay on board for that day (night).

Then they are going to give you OBC of $100 to make up for it!!!

Check the thread 'One less day on with change on Jewel - Not Fair!'

It is an Alaska cruise now missing out Skagway so only leaving Juneau and Ketchikan in Alaska. They are still going to Victoria (Whoopsy doo) though. Then they are getting in to Seattle a day early so repairs, which are already known about, can be carried out.

Ncl should also recognize that it's not only me and mine that cruise frequently ...we are also constantly being asked our opinion of Ncl....

I my particular case....I know for a fact that I've given them 8 additional peripheral family members in addition to my immediate family...so 14 in all

Those 8 other pax have cruised about 10 times in the last 4 years based on my Ncl recommendation

However....I saw those family members recently and was surprised when one said she was angry about the 4 cruise next certs she bought last time....and wishes she hadn't

I reminded her she could cancel them with Ncl because Ncl product is not what she is happy with anymore...even though 30 days had passed since purchase

Other family members felt the same as they too are getting fed up with Ncl

Btw all these family members go for haven rooms.

So while I agree that Ncl is now targeting the newbie less than cruise savvy pax....I have first hand knowledge of them also losing...

My fast expanding immediate family of 6

My 8 additional family members that frequently cruised Ncl and came to Ncl at my suggestion

And approx 6 cruise next certs that the owners of are planning on getting refunded from Ncl

Everyone in the above situation also has cruising friends

Everyone also talks to everyone too

Ncl is the loser here

Edited by luvtheships