NCL Technology Survey

KeithJenner

My wife just let me know that she was asked by email to complete a survey about technology onboard ship by NCL.

A couple of example questions she gave me were opinions on a type of magic band, as per disney, to allow access to your room and charge items, and another was about being noted somehow that your room had been turned down.

Are you able to "download" and then make available for us all to see? If there was a return email address we could all complete and send back.

Mike

Unfortunately not. It just had a link and when I clicked, it said that she'd already done it.

I'll try to quiz her a bit more about it, unless someone else who gets it can give more info.

I got it. There were questions about how much you use your cell phone on a cruise, and if you'd find things like those already mentioned plus notifications while in port, notice that your room is ready, potential luggage tracking, reminders about upcoming reservations, as well as things they already have (reservations, bill checking, communicating with others etc) useful.

They asked similar questions about a wristband, if you'd like it, what you'd like to use it for. I assume the wristband would replace they keycard.

There was also a question about facial recognition -- if you'd like that as a way to access similar things (I think).

Got it.

Same as Mac and Lucy.

Biggest thing seemed to be what you'd actually be willing to use your phone/wristband for. They listed off 15 things, some of which seemed pretty esoteric (Bartender would know what drinks you had previously ordered...) but some of which seemed potentially useful (order more towels to the room).

Survey questions...

Did you bring your cellphone along with you during your last cruise?

Yes

No

Do not own a cellphone

What type of phone do you currently use?

iOS (Apple iPhones)

Android (Samsung, HTC, LG, etc.)

Windows

Blackberry

Other smartphone (smartphones combine functions of portable media players, digital cameras, touchscreens, web browsers, and Wi-Fi access amongst other features)

A different type of phone (not a smartphone)

Did you download the iConcierge app on your last cruise on Norwegian?

Yes

No

Didn't know there was an iConcierge app

How interested would you be in downloading a free mobile app to your smartphone for onboard use?* While using the app, there would not be any additional cellular charges incurred by you.* With this app you could do things such as access your cabin, check restaurant availability & make reservations, get onboard directions, talk to others in your party, etc.)

Extremely interested

Very interested

Somewhat interested

Not very interested

Not at all interested

Are there any areas or activities on the cruise ship you would not want to bring your phone with you?* Select all areas you would not take your cellphone.

Shows in the theater

Pool

Onboard shops

Ports/ going offshore/ While on shore excursions

Other entertainment (trivia, games, etc.)

Bars

Spa

Restaurants/ buffet

No, I carry/ would carry my cellphone at all times with me while on the cruise

Currently, guests use key cards to access their cabins, pay for things (drinks, spa) and also use their ID to get back onboard.* These technologies could potentially replace key cards/ID's.

Below are*some new technologies along with some of the benefits each can provide.* After reading some of the benefits of each, tell us how likely you are to utilize the technologies while on a cruise.

Use your smartphone after downloading a free mobile app:* you can expedite the embarkation and disembarkation process, access your cabin, get notifications (when room is ready, reservation reminders, onboard promotions, etc.), pay for items, obtain directions onboard, contact other members of your party, access your bill, etc.

How likely are you to utilize your smartphone with these capabilities while on a cruise?

Extremely likely

Very likely

Somewhat likely 

Not very likely

Not at all likely

Utilize a digital wristband:* you can expedite the embarkation and disembarkation process, access your cabin, pay for items, make & review your reservations and bill (on a display).

How likely are you to utilize digital wristband while on a cruise?

Extremely likely

Very likely

Somewhat likely 

Not very likely

Not at all likely

Facial recognition cameras:* you can expedite the embarkation/ disembarkation process and getting on/off ports, access your cabin, pay for items, make & review your reservations and access your bill (on a display).

How likely are you to want to use facial recognition cameras while on a cruise?

Extremely likely

Very likely

Somewhat likely 

Not very likely

Not at all likely

Why would you not be likely to utilize these types of technologies?

Allergies to wristbands

Prefer not to wear anything around wrist at all times

Prefer more privacy 

Prefer key cards instead of any of these technologies

Other (specify)

With these newer technologies, there are even more choices available than what the traditional key cards offer.** *Of the following choices, which if any, would you be interested in: (Select all that apply)

Do not need to check-in for muster role call (but still show up)

Customized notices from cruise line (time in port, activities starting, special promotions, etc.)

Getting on/off the ship at each port

Make restaurant/ show reservations

Request supplies to my cabin (extra towels, ice, etc.)

Track your luggage

Get reminders (shows, reservations, etc.)

Access my bill 

Will know when my table is ready

Waiters know in advance of any food allergies

Bartenders know what drinks I’ve ordered before

Directions on how to get around the ship

Can locate members of my travel party

Report customer service issues 

Find/ display only my photos in the photo department

Be able to embark/ disembark from the ship

Inform me when my room is ready

Use at passport line in cruise terminal to expedite process

Not interested in using these technologies

Are there any other options not mentioned above that you would like added?

You're almost done! The next few questions are for classification purposes only. They will only be used to group your answers with others like yourself. All answers will be strictly confidential.

Please click on the category that includes your age.** (Select one)*

Please select your gender. Please select one.

Which one of the following best describes your marital status?* (Select one)

What is the highest level of education you have completed?* Please select one.

Do you have children under the age of 18 currently living in your household?* Please select one.

Who do you typically travel with on vacation? Please select all that apply.

What is the total annual income of the household in which you live?** (Select one)

What best describes your current employment status?* Please select one.

Which of the following best describes the ethnicity with which you most closely identify? Please select all that apply.

Shame they cannot do basic things like keep a website up to date...

Or get their Miami staff to answer emails from parts of the world where their toll free number won't work.

Or even have a proforma acknowledgement of emails so we know they have arrived.

Or, like any normal business, return an "out-of-office" email when they are.

Or, if they are, get their emails transferred to someone who will answer them.

Customer service/good business practice....... BAH HUMBUG.

wow....too much information following me and tracking my habits around the ship. I don't carry my smartphone all over, I have a hard enough time schlepping my key card around all day.

I hope they don't implement the wristband.

I agree. Typically, my phone stays in the safe while on the ship. I pride myself on having nothing whatsoever in my pockets.

If they offer wristbands as an option, that would mean the door mechanisms would need to be updated to accommodate the RFID wristbands. That means the key cards would move to RFID too, instead of swipe/insert... and that's a good thing.

And, they want to be granted permissions and access my/our smartphone to read contacts, calendar, storage (pictures, etc.) and folders, etc. - no way, Jose. Sorry, we don't trust NCL with safeguarding informational privacy on other sensitive data in the event of a breach, for their convenience.

No, no, and no, etc. Not when NCL cannot even properly maintain their own online website, their basic informational management, emails and text alerts (SMS or last minute changes, something the airlines have been doing for decades now). Not when NCL cannot handle basic billings in real-time, promptly authorize refunds and credit adjustments at the front office.

The cell phone questions seem like they pertain to things already in place with iConcierge. I don't see many things suggested there that would be different.

I love the idea of wristbands. It would be wonderful to be completely hands free. (As a woman, I have no where convenient to stick my key card when using the hot tub, for instance.)

I love the Magic Bands at Disney.

I completed the survey and would love the wristbands. I also love the face recognition aspect of the survey. I always wonder since they have my picture why they don't come up with something better than the card for embarking and disembarking. I am sure this will be on the new ships in the far future.

I'd love the wristband!

I don't use the iConcierge because it is another expense. If it were free I might use it to keep in touch with DH but I also wouldn't want to carry it around, especially in port! We like beach days and it's nerve racking enough to worry about bags being rifled while you're in the water.

I go to church with a guy whose son is in NCL IT. He just laughed when I told him how horrible the site is, but said he'd pass along my suggestions. Ha! Those extremely annoying contact pop ups still occur every time...they make me scream.

I'd love the wristband!

I don't use the iConcierge because it is another expense. If it were free I might use it to keep in touch with DH but I also wouldn't want to carry it around, especially in port! We like beach days and it's nerve racking enough to worry about bags being rifled while you're in the water.

I go to church with a guy whose son is in NCL IT. He just laughed when I told him how horrible the site is, but said he'd pass along my suggestions. Ha! Those extremely annoying contact pop ups still occur every time...they make me scream.

Sorry, you probably already know this, but you can use much of the iconcierge functionality for free.

I completed the survey and would love the wristbands. I also love the face recognition aspect of the survey. I always wonder since they have my picture why they don't come up with something better than the card for embarking and disembarking. I am sure this will be on the new ships in the far future.

I'm not sure about their facial recognition....Your pic is already on your card but they really don't look at it now.

I had an issue on a previous cruise...We had a group of 3 couples and one of the wives and I have the same 1st name. I believe we were at our 2nd port and as we were swiping our cards to leave the ship I notice that the other "Linda's" picture came up when I swiped my card, and my pic was on her card. The interesting thing is the other Linda is Asian and I'm not. There is no way we could be mistaken for each other. We had been using our cards the entire time and no one noticed that the pics didn't match the person. Shows great security when we were reboarding the ship at our 1st port. :rolleyes:

Linda

I haven't sailed on Disney, but I have sailed on RCI's Anthem of the Seas, where wrist bands (called WOW bands by Royal) are an alternative to sea pass cards (they have not replaced them). We liked having the bands. For example, it was MUCH easier to open the cabin door if I had something in my hands. And much better to have the band than having to find a place for a card when working out or in the pool.

The problem with RCI's bands is that Royal hasn't fully committed to the technology -- servers, bartenders, etc. don't have portable readers, so you still have to take off the band and hand it to them to be taken over to a reader, same as you have to do with your card.

I love the Magic Bands that Disney uses, they are pretty comfortable and I didn't have any trouble with them staying on. They had access to our dining packages, fast passes for the rides, room access. I didn't have to carry anything with me other than I did carry my drivers license in my pocket. (Or let dear hubby keep it in his wallet).

Would love to see the cruises all come up with something similar. Especially when I happen to wear dresses I have no place to then put the key card.