Very Unhappy with Princess pricing

curlybelle2

Hi everyone at CC,

We are looking at a spring time cruise for 2017. My DH and I were looking at pricing on Princess web page. We discussed our options for a while then decided to log in. When we did, there was a big price Increase. At first there was no Sun Drenched Deal pricing and when we re-logged in the Sun Drenched deal came up. The cruise we are looking at now is $200 pp more under the Sun Drenched Sale! This all happen within 20 minute window.

Why does Princess has a "sale" and raise the price!!!

Besides the sale price problem, we have noticed that as a returning Princess customer we no longer get a reduce price when we log in. They use to have a returning customer perk of getting a little cost reduction.

We will wait for this "sale" to go off and recheck the price of the cruise we want. Mean while, we will be checking other cruise lines.

Thanks for letting me vent. :D

Kaye

Sometimes when you are looking at prices for say a balcony: the price you see originally is for the cheapest balcony. Did you look at a different cabin in the category type?

Example: mini suites on aft end are usually cheaper than the minis in the middle of ship

If not just call princess or TA and see what they say. Right now there is the sip and sail going on that you might want.

Hi everyone at CC,

We are looking at a spring time cruise for 2017. My DH and I were looking at pricing on Princess web page. We discussed our options for a while then decided to log in. When we did, there was a big price Increase. At first there was no Sun Drenched Deal pricing and when we re-logged in the Sun Drenched deal came up. The cruise we are looking at now is $200 pp more under the Sun Drenched Sale! This all happen within 20 minute window.

Besides the sale price problem, we have noticed that as a returning Princess customer we no longer get a reduce price when we log in. They use to have a returning customer perk of getting a little cost reduction.

We will wait for this "sale" to go off and recheck the price of the cruise we want. Mean while, we will be checking other cruise lines.

Kaye

We booked a short 5 day cruise as the end of a B2B next spring earlier this year. I saw the "sale" on that cruise so I looked at the prices and they were almost $400 more for the two of us. I don't know at what point Princess raised the price but as to your question of whether at the end of the sale they will drop the price back to the lower level, my guess is that they will not. Otherwise many will see the price drop and revert to it. One advantage of booking a year+ in advance has generally been cheaper prices and as we get closer to the time to sail the price goes up unless the cruise is not selling well. Nice if you are able to plan ahead.

One thing I have learned is when I find a cruise I am thinking about taking but want time to think about it, I put a hold on the reservation preserving the room and price for a short period. If I decide not to take it, I simply let it expire otherwise I go ahead and book it. Airlines will let you do the same thing with a booking giving you a window to think about it before you commit to the ticket. You might consider it in the future.

Edited by satxdiver

Hi everyone at CC,

Kaye

usually the price reduction for repeat passengers is only $100.

I understand your frustration & thankfully have rarely had a price increase by delaying a booking.

However price increases are not unusual whenever making any type of purchase including for travel related purchases. Most travel purchases are capacity controlled & once by delaying purchasing an airline ticket by 5 minutes while checking other sources, the good price was then unavailable. :(

There are so many variables with travel purchases that only the algorithms programmed into computers understand the "why" but it's certainly not understandable to customers. Pricing can be affected by factors such as where we reside & by "sales" which are rarely a deal for me. There are Launch fares & repeat passenger fares which occasionally are less expensive when not signed in to my account.

Why Princess or any other cruise lines increases prices is due to there being more demand than supply.

I sincerely wish you luck with searching for more a standardized pricing structure on other cruise lines however they all market things similarly. I understand you're frustration but I know that sometimes when I snooze that I will lose but at other times I can win. ;)

Sometimes it's good to vent & hopefully you'll eventually discover a good price. Thankfully with cruise lines we can refare the price without a penalty unlike with airlines. So as others have suggested, you can book now while continuing to search for a lower price. Being retired, I have the flexibility to wait until after final payment for a great price because any cabin is okay for us although that's not a good option for anyone who's working.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I understand your frustration & thankfully have rarely had a price increase by delaying a booking.

However price increases are not unusual whenever making any type of purchase including for travel related purchases. Most travel purchases are capacity controlled & once by delaying purchasing an airline ticket by 5 minutes while checking other sources, the good price was then unavailable. :(

There are so many variables with travel purchases that only the algorithms programmed into computers understand the "why" but it's certainly not understandable to customers. Pricing can be affected by factors such as where we reside & by "sales" which are rarely a deal for me. There are Launch fares & repeat passenger fares which occasionally are less expensive when not signed in to my account.

Why Princess or any other cruise lines increases prices is due to there being more demand than supply.

I sincerely wish you luck with searching for more a standardized pricing structure on other cruise lines however they all market things similarly. I understand you're frustration but I know that sometimes when I snooze that I will lose but at other times I can win. ;)

Sometimes it's good to vent & hopefully you'll eventually discover a good price. Thankfully with cruise lines we can refare the price without a penalty unlike with airlines. So as others have suggested, you can book now while continuing to search for a lower price. Being retired, I have the flexibility to wait until after final payment for a great price because any cabin is okay for us although that's not a good option for anyone who's working.

Can you still re-fare without penalty if there is a non-refundable deposit? I am looking at one now. Also, if you use an FCC for the deposit, does it return to your account if the deposit is non-refundable?

Thanks.

I know that the longer you wait to book you are taking a chance in the pricing going up.

I guess my biggest gripe is that, they have a "sale" and its $200 pp higher than the regular price.

We will have to make a decision to book or not.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Can you still re-fare without penalty if there is a non-refundable deposit? I am looking at one now. Also, if you use an FCC for the deposit, does it return to your account if the deposit is non-refundable?

Thanks.

My only experience was several years ago when the nonrefundable/nontransferable deposits were started for some sale prices. My TA got them to transfer my deposit to a new booking with a lower price but not sure if that's still possible.

I also use a FCC for the deposit and just figure that if it's a NR/NT deposit then I'd lose my $100 deposit to get a cheaper bottom line cruise fare.

I've easily refared without the NR/NT restriction but have no recent experience when it's a factor. Hopefully someone has a recent experience for your situation and can give you a better idea of what to expect.

Hi everyone at CC,

Kaye

There prices have gone up quite a bit.

yes, my prices are going up when i log in. it seems to be happening more lately.

may i vent as well? i'm looking for a cruise and my price for an interior as a solo traveler is consistently 200%. gone are the days of 150% it seems. sigh.

Thanks.

Yes, you can take advantage of price drops. What part of non-refundable do you not understand? If you cancel, you'll lose your FCC.

Hi everyone at CC,

]If you see a good price but it goes up when you log in, then I suggest calling your TA or Princess to book it and let them know what price (and amenities) you are expecting.

Yes, you can take advantage of price drops. What part of non-refundable do you not understand? If you cancel, you'll lose your FCC.

A snarky response really doesn't help us "less educated" cruisers learn. Some lines consider a price drop to be a cancel and new booking, so i am wondering if that is the case or not. This knowledge will help us decide if it is worth risking the deposit.

I agree on these.

We have 3 cruises booked and the prices went up when the sip and sale came out. None of the bookings were cheaper to rebook with the promo. It is cheaper to buy the package and remain with the on-board credit, we have on the bookings.

yes, my prices are going up when i log in. it seems to be happening more lately.

may i vent as well? i'm looking for a cruise and my price for an interior as a solo traveler is consistently 200%. gone are the days of 150% it seems. sigh.

I agree with your feeling about solo fares. Especially for transatlantic cruises, the deals USED to be really good, particularly for solos. Not so any more!! It may be just my perception, but it seems like the occasional decent fares for solos went away shortly after the arrival of Jan Schwartz.

HEAVY sigh ......... :(

Edited by flamomo

A good practice when checking travel pricing is to delete browser cookies for the websites in question before you search. The fact that you've shopped sites previously is stored in cookies and can have an effect on pricing.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

A good practice when checking travel pricing is to delete browser cookies for the websites in question before you search. The fact that you've shopped sites previously is stored in cookies and can have an effect on pricing.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

I am not saying that this is not true, but I am curious. Did you actually test your theory and find a less expensive fare after you cleared your cookies or from another computer?

I have read articles that state that this has never really been proven, but how would anyone know for sure?

I agree that their pricing techniques can make you need a vacation. I am trying to figure out when their current sip and sail sale ends. If you use the drink package it can be a money saver at $50.00 a day.

Any ideas?