What part of the cruise cost is refundable?

lefy

Assuming I don't buy insurance I'm wondering what if any part of the cruise cost is refundable if say the day before the cruise we couldn't go. I know the actual cruise fare is not refundable but what about taxes or port fees.

Assuming I don't buy insurance I'm wondering what if any part of the cruise cost is refundable if say the day before the cruise we couldn't go. I know the actual cruise fare is not refundable but what about taxes or port fees.

It will vary by policy.

it's all spelled out in your contract with the cruise line. Note as well that insurance has limitations on what are acceptable cancellation reasons even "cancel for any reason" coverage can have exceptions. Read your docs!

After the "final payment" date, set by the cruise line (not when YOU pay it off, if you do it earlier), none of the "fare" is refundable. Definitely read the what the cruise line posts about cancellation policies!

Not exactly accurate. There is a tiered structure of refund based on whether you booked before or after March 7, 2016. The amount varies based on how close to the cruise you cancel, whether it is a holiday cruise and how long the cruise is. I wish I could cut and paste on my tablet,, but I cannot. Just Google Royal Caribbean cancellation policy. Oh, policy also varies based on the country you booked in. This assumes you are in North America.

Edited by MommaBear55

it's all spelled out in your contract with the cruise line. Note as well that insurance has limitations on what are acceptable cancellation reasons even "cancel for any reason" coverage can have exceptions. Read your docs!

I'm booked on NCL & it doesn't say anything about taxes & fees or prepaid tips etc.. on their cancellation policy. It does say add-ons are not refundable but I don't know what they consider add-ons. That's why I asked the question because I had heard some things may be refundable. It's one of those things you won't know for sure unless it actually happens to you or someone else you know.

It looks like OP is on NCL.

Well, that makes a huge difference!! The problem with a tablet is I also don't see signatures, so I assumed! And we all know what that does! I will take my red face and go find a cup of tea. This is what happens when I ate at from the RCI boards. My apologies

Edited by MommaBear55

Well, that makes a huge difference!! The problem with a tablet is I also don't see signatures, so I assumed! And we all know what that does! I will take my red face and go find a cup of tea. This is what happens when I ate at from the RCI boards. My apologies

No prob. It actually wasn't in their signature, so you didn't miss anything. I just took a look at some of their other posts to figure it out :)

I'm booked on NCL & it doesn't say anything about taxes & fees or prepaid tips etc.. on their cancellation policy. It does say add-ons are not refundable but I don't know what they consider add-ons. That's why I asked the question because I had heard some things may be refundable. It's one of those things you won't know for sure unless it actually happens to you or someone else you know.

You might ask on the NCL board. You will probably get more accurate information there. Wish I could help more, but I can really only tell you about Carnival's cancellation policy, because that is what I am familiar with.

You might ask on the NCL board. You will probably get more accurate information there. Wish I could help more, but I can really only tell you about Carnival's cancellation policy, because that is what I am familiar with.

That's a good idea. My last cruise was with Royal Caribbean & they spelled it out that taxes & fees were refundable but NCL does not so they may be different. I should have noted the cruise line i was using in my OP but I thought there might be a standard for all cruise lines. I guess not.

Edited by lefy

I just did call & talk to someone at NCL & they told me that taxes & fees are refundable. I'm always a little nervous though when something is not in writing because a lot of times you never know until the time comes what the policy really is.

Edited by lefy

whatever the cruise contract says.