Watches Jewelry and alcohol

thickerson555

Every cruise I have been on has stores that sell all the above. I see lots of people in the shops. I have looked at some of the prices but I don't really know if they are great deals.

Are they good deals?

If you can only bring back one bottle of alcohol it doesn't make much sense to me to buy it out of the country and deal with making it back home safely going through customs for just a few bucks savings. So why do people by it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't find any great deals. We bought a watch, but it's the same about everywhere we look. I only bought it on the ship as a surprise and thank you to my husband for taking such great care of me. :) We bought a pair of earrings in St Thomas as well, but it was only because i loved them and no i had never seen any like them anywhere else. They were exactly what i was looking for at the price point i was willing to pay.

I can't really say about the alcohol since i drink so often that i still have bottles of rum from my first cruise in 2004, lol.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

In 10 years have not seen a great deal even with duty free prices. If you have your phone or a tablet on you then just do a price check online. On my last cruise all the spirits I was looking at (including $200+ bottles of whisky as a special gift) were actually just cheaper on Amazon!

I sometimes buy some fashion jewellery cheap because it's something to remember the cruise by but even things like the $20 (marked down from $100 - yeah right) charm bracelets can be found on Amazon cheaper I buy it anyway as it's just something little I can think "I bought this on that cruise". I was looking at the prices of the Michael Kors handbags on my upcoming cruise after someone posted a few examples and I compared them to my local department store that stock him and there were no savings. Brand name make-up and perfume has never been cheaper on a cruise for me. Don't know anything about watches but honestly I think they bank on people on cruises being happy on vacation and wanting to buy a gift rather than looking for the best price possible.

So I would buy something on a cruise if you want to associate it with the memories of that cruise, but not because it's a great deal - always price check. Maybe you will find something but probably not.

Edited by Cruise_Christy

Impulse buying is the only reason those very attractive shops exist because if space on a cruise ship isn't making money it is replaced by something that will.

Buying an inexpensive souvenir, something you need but neglected to pack or a few post cards of the ship is fun. Buying anything that is supposed to represent a super value is part of the well oiled cruise ship business where impulse is supposed to override common sense. The formula is very successful. See you at the art show and bring friends.

If you want to bring home a fine watch or real jewelry from a cruise, make sure you know (and can identify) value, and do your purchasing in a port like St. Thomas or St. Maarten where competition among vendors gives you a chance; on board ship you are part of a captive audience.

If you lack particular expertise (and, like many cruisers, fail to pack a full load of common sense in your carry-on), do your shopping at home.

Every cruise I have been on has stores that sell all the above. I see lots of people in the shops. I have looked at some of the prices but I don't really know if they are great deals.

Are they good deals?

If you can only bring back one bottle of alcohol it doesn't make much sense to me to buy it out of the country and deal with making it back home safely going through customs for just a few bucks savings. So why do people by it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

well TBH we never find 'great 'deals on the usual stuff.. we have access to military bases and thus can shop for booze not only tax free, but also at a slight markdown from 'retail'. where we splurge is on things you cannot ordinarily get at home. like specific brands, or flavors of booze.

when it comes to items like Watches or jewelry, you need to be doing a lot of research BEFORE you board and to carry with you specifics( item numbers, features, etc). you can almost always find a better price on Amazon or a local retailer but you have to be comparing apples to apples. A Rolex is not always a Rolex. the one on board could have different features for instance.

Watches

Even with their on board 50% off sales, you can still buy the same watch from Amazon for 1/2 of their 1/2 off sale.

Jewelry

Unless you really, really know what your doing and looking at, stay with your local home grown friendly jeweler.

1st, you don't know the real quality

2nd, their on board guarantee is worthless

3rd, the duty free is not really duty free. The cruise line will have a record of the sale and you'd better be prepared to declare on your customs form.

Alcohol

Sure, sometimes you can save.

Then, you've got to get it home without breakage.

On our last cruise we were walking past the watch table. I stopped to look to see if there was anything I liked. I needed a new watch. Anyway, I picked one up and another cruiser told me the brand, Anne Klein, was dependable and that she had bought a few on other cruises.

I selected one and was happy with my purchase. When I got home I searched the internet, including Amazon, and found the price I paid was less than what I found on the internet. It was only a few dollars but I am very happy with my new watch.

Last year I went too Macy's in Seattle to buy face cream and make up before a cruise. The prices on board were about $5.00 cheaper. No taxes. This year I bought a Citizens Eco drive watch for a bit over $300.00 . As many have posted I checked Amazon before I bought it and the ships price was $50.00 less. I also "won" a cheaper Citizens watch at the end of the cruise. I think everyone who bought a watch over a certain price got one. There is a big difference between between watches they put on tables and those in the jewelry stores. Everyone sells the Effy jewelry and I see people spending $$$$$ for it. I live in Las Vegas and every hotel has high end jewelry stores that catch the impulsive buyers and those who just won a jack box in a slot. Only to lose it the next day and have to return it the next day.

Diana

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We never buy alcohol on a cruise -- since we fly it would have to go into a suitcase. I would not want to have to worry if the bottle broke a ruined clothes.

At home -- just watch the sales for watches and jewelry.

Have read here too often about people buying diamonds, etc. then got home and had the pieces appraised and learned that the items purchased were appraised a lower value than what they paid.

I can think of 3 possible good reasons -

1) You have OBC that you have to spend so essentially the item costs you little or nothing

2) If you are from a EuroZone country, you have to pay a significant VAT on items that you purchase while you do not have to pay a VAT on the ship. The VAT tax rate in most European countries is 20% or more. Also no sales tax for US purchasers although you can usually find an internet store in the US that will not charge you sales tax. Many states charge an 8% sales tax so the tax on a $1000 item is $80.

3) Prices for the item that you are interested in may be higher in your home country or the item might not even be available in your home country.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Whenever we go to the Caribbeans, our sons ask us to buy them local rum. We have a nice large wine shop that carries imported drinks, so we get several bottles and pass them as souvenirs from our cruise. They still don't know :p

8 years ago I saw a nice watch in the gift shop that I really liked, but assumed the price would be lower on shore, so I waited. We had to do a lot of shopping around to find the same low price as on the ship. Also, if you want a souvenir T shirt or sweatshirt, some days they offer deep discounts.

Before I cruise, I check out Amazon and jewelry stores if I'm looking for a watch. I found you can save $20 - $50 plus the tax. Sometimes, there is no savings. Recently, I have noticed that some items, sold on Amazon for third-party vendors, have outrageous prices. In fact, items sold by third parties are not guaranteed by the manufacturer and could possibly be fake. I found this in writing in the item's detailed information when looking for makeup.

I write down model numbers in my Notes on my iPhone to compare Apples with apples. When I Googled a certain watch I found on Amazon with the same model number and photo, the other websites showed a different water-resistant rating than shown on Amazon. So, do check Amazon, but Google model numbers to check other websites for detailed info.

Unless you find something on the cruise that you can't find at home, you're better off purchasing at home where you can physically return it. While in Falmouth, Jamaica, on a cruise, my husband purchased an alexandrite ring for our 50th Anniversary. We took the jewelry rep on the ship with us for advice. We couldn't find alexandrite locally in the stores in the Orlando area. It has to be specially ordered. A friend of ours who is a retired goldsmith said he's not surprised since it is such a rare stone.

Generally there are not big savings, but it's always fun to shop.

Important advice: Duty free is only up to $850 per person. When you get off the ship, any taxes owed beyond the allowed amount ($1,700 per couple), MUST be paid in CASH! No checks or credit cards.

Enjoy your trip.

Whenever we go to the Caribbeans, our sons ask us to buy them local rum. We have a nice large wine shop that carries imported drinks, so we get several bottles and pass them as souvenirs from our cruise. They still don't know :p

I won't tell - and I hope the others on this thread will also honor the old rule:

"What's posted on Cruise Critic stays on Cruise Critic."

Once we saw that we could purchase Liquor on board we checked our local places and made note of the prices we could get our regulars. Next cruise we price compared and the ship was cheaper. I drive to the port so packing the bottles are not a problem for me. Early in the cruise there are some specials too - if it's a good deal get it then - they run out on somethings.

So if you are interested, check your stores and you will know if you are getting a deal or not.

Last year I went too Macy's in Seattle to buy face cream and make up before a cruise. The prices on board were about $5.00 cheaper. No taxes. This year I bought a Citizens Eco drive watch for a bit over $300.00 . As many have posted I checked Amazon before I bought it and the ships price was $50.00 less. I also "won" a cheaper Citizens watch at the end of the cruise. I think everyone who bought a watch over a certain price got one.

We purchased a citizens eco drive watch as well. I didn't check amazon for prices. I did however ask every jewelry store we went into their price and they were all the same give or take a couple of dollars. No one was really seeking it for less. We liked the watch though and that was the reason we bought it. Not to get an amazing deal.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

I bought four 3' x 2' prints while aboard QM2. The prints were highly detailed black and white engineering side views of the Queen Elisabeth, Queen Mary, QE2 and QM 2. Having sailed on all four I 'needed' to buy them. All were hand drawn to perfect scale and printed on acid free archival stock. I'm sure Cunard still sells them. I think I paid $120 for the complete set.

Impulse buy? Absolutely. That's the first time I ever bought anything from a ships store and I've done a few 'boat rides'.

Things like jewelry, drink and cloths I can buy almost anywhere. My four prints were [to me]a rare find. After professional framing guests to our home that see them comment, "those are absolutely outstanding! Where did you find them"?

Nothing else I've seen of late in a ships store would [likely] elicit that kind of admiration. That said, I happily admit that I do sniff around those stores when at sea hoping for another rare find. So far, nothing has pushed any buttons.

Edited by Magnum60

I bought four 3' x 2' prints while aboard QM2. The prints were highly detailed black and white engineering side views of the Queen Elisabeth, Queen Mary, QE2 and QM 2. Having sailed on all four I 'needed' to buy them. All were hand drawn to perfect scale and printed on acid free archival stock. I'm sure Cunard still sells them. I think I paid $120 for the complete set.

Impulse buy? Absolutely. That's the first time I ever bought anything from a ships store and I've done a few 'boat rides'.

Things like jewelry, drink and cloths I can buy almost anywhere. My four prints were [to me]a rare find. After professional framing guests to our home that see them comment, "those are absolutely outstanding! Where did you find them"?

Nothing else I've seen of late in a ships store would [likely] elicit that kind of admiration. That said, I happily admit that I do sniff around those stores when at sea hoping for another rare find. So far, nothing has pushed any buttons.

This is spot on: watches, liquor, jewelry, perfumes, etc. can be gotten anywhere - sometimes most economically and conveniently within a couple miles of home.

But there is sometimes the unique opportunity, so keeping your eyes open, and not frittering away your budget on routine stuff, are important concepts.

• 2 weeks later...

First few cruises, we were hauling back liquor, watches, and jewelry. We haven't bought any of these in several years. Not worth the hassle and we've gone to trying to travel lighter. Your cruise habits change over the years, I guess.

First few cruises, we were hauling back liquor, watches, and jewelry. We haven't bought any of these in several years. Not worth the hassle and we've gone to trying to travel lighter. Your cruise habits change over the years, I guess.

All of the cruise ships sell a brand of body lotion that is not available in any stores in the USA .I usually buy 3 tubes on every cruise .On my last 2 cruises they had a sale ,buy 2 and get 1 free.

There are a few liquors that cannot be bought in the US. Sheridan's coffee and Sheridan's berry come to mind.

US citizens can bring in one liter duty free. Be prepared to pay for the overage. Friends bought 6 liters of Sheridan's. Had to pay duty on four of them. $12 total.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app