MDR Survey

JudithLynne

This is probably why the survey has come out. Someone said in a meeting "Why the hell is the MDR so empty these days" and when the F&B Executive in the room said "because back when I told you the Curtis Stone menu was a disaster, nobody would listen to me"

And they still aren't listening to that person and have sent a survey out to a select few (because I've not received any of the surveys.. Maybe you have to be Elite to get one, I'm still six credits away from that).

So I hope everyone who got the MDR survey actually responds to it. I'm sorry but this old F&B Executive thinks Curtis Stone is one of the most overrated Celebrity Chef's out there today. :cool:

We're Elite, and we didn't get a survey. I wish we had so I could add to those who want the always available menu to come back.

That's not a Curtis Stone dessert. That's a Norman Love dessert. The Norman Love desserts are fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That was probably the best dessert I've had on Princess in many years. It's one I'd actually pay extra for in IC. I probably shouldn't say that because I know Princess reads these boards-lol!

I am the OP. Like many of the rest of you, we are well entrenched into Elite status.

The survey consisted of viewing three menus: formal night, Italian night and one other. I was asked to click on my choices which were highlighted when I did. The last section was for narrative comments. My ratings were not high and most often below average. I absolutely hate Italian night even though I like Italian food. The worst night is Caribbean night, which was not on the survey. Desserts were not listed. I would attach a copy of the survey but it disappears after being sent.

I thought that when I entered this post that it would result in a flood of responses with all of you receiving the same survey. I am encouraged that Princess is looking at their dining situation which needs an overhaul.

I absolutely hate Italian night even though I like Italian food.QUOTE]

I hope they don't modify the Italian night menu. It has my all time favorite dish - eggplant parmesan. That's the one night we won't consider alternative dining options.

I'm no fan of the Curtis Stone menu items either, but have to admit I only tried one and didn't like it at all. I watched someone who got the pork belly and they turned up their nose at it.

The dishes might be better IF Curtis Stone was actually making them, rather than in a mass produced kitchen with chefs/cooks attempting to follow his recipes.

I'm all for getting rid of them too.

I did get a survey about the new mattresses and linens. Seems Princess plans to offer them for sale.

Hmm, I have seen flowers and gift cards for sale and will be in the cabin when you arrive.

If you purchase the new mattresses and linens, will they be in the cabin the first night? :D

Sorry, could not help my self.

Bob

We were on a recent Caribbean Princess cruise which was one of the best we have ever been on. We are Elite status and did not receive a survey.

Our dining experience on Caribbean Princess was fantastic overall but the Curtis Stone menu items got a unanimous thumbs down. We were a party of 8 that tried some of the Stone items. The flank steak was overcooked and tough. The pork belly which should be nice and crisp was a soppy mess.

I would add to others comments that the Norman Love desserts were exceptional. Wish the Stone additions to the menu were half as good.

It is interesting that Princess has to send out a survey to determine the Stone menu is a total fail. Just read your passenger survey comments!

As far as Curtis Stone being a celebrity chef, I have my doubts. There are many celebrity chefs with marquee appeal that would have represented Princess much better.

Henry

Edited by HleeCruiser

I am sure hoping Princess reads this thread. So I will add my thumbs down to the Curtis Stone dishes.

Princess, give us back the Always Available Menu; please and thank you.:)

I so hope there is a chance I get the survey.

I do enjoy the Norman Love desserts.

There's no way to know their criteria for who received the food survey but I know that not every elite level passenger received it.

On the Crown in April there were no Curtis Stone "always available" options & instead choices such as salmon & chicken but the beef medallions was only an entrée option on one evening. If I recall correctly the medallions were removed from the always available option several years ago & replaced by tri-tip. Passengers were unhappy with that change & eventually the medallions were added back to those options. So hopefully they'll return after this not well received experiment with a celebrity chef's attempt to cook at sea completely fails & is eliminated.

On two different evenings they had CS entrées...pork belly which I didn't order & chicken pot pie which was okay but nothing I'd order again.

I think Princess would have been better off using the money they paid Stone to give to their Executive Chef Alfredo Marzi to create new & improved options. While Stone's options were new, I don't think they were improved options & creating food for thousands of passengers nightly on a cruise ship is much different than at a restaurant.

While I'm not impressed by having a celebrity chef like Stone's menu, I hadn't heard of Norman Love either and his desserts are enjoyed by most passengers. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I am the OP. Like many of the rest of you, we are well entrenched into Elite status.

The survey consisted of viewing three menus: formal night, Italian night and one other. I was asked to click on my choices which were highlighted when I did. The last section was for narrative comments. My ratings were not high and most often below average. I absolutely hate Italian night even though I like Italian food. The worst night is Caribbean night, which was not on the survey. Desserts were not listed. I would attach a copy of the survey but it disappears after being sent.

I thought that when I entered this post that it would result in a flood of responses with all of you receiving the same survey. I am encouraged that Princess is looking at their dining situation which needs an overhaul.

All their surveys seem to be very selective and no one ever hears back about the results. I hope the survey was inspired by the dislike of the Curtis Stone items which will probably mean replacement soon. ;)

btw- Other than the eggplant Parmesan the other selection on Italian night aren't anything exciting for us. We skip it & go to the buffet where the sections are usually better.

Recently back from a cruise and I have to say the worst thing about it was the MDR food.

The food was not awful or disgusting but it just didn't hit the spot. It always seemed to try to be something it wasn't. Trying too hard, as if by filling it with 'fancy' wording would make it sound better. I appreciate some people like that but I would like more home cooking. Green foam is not my taste.

I love food and often eat at some very nice restaurants so it's not like I don't like restaurant food, just some of Princess's takes on it.

My one night I had the always on Salmon, and I have to say it was one of the best meals I had. Simple, tasty food.

Is that the one with the green stuff in the middle?

Yes, it's the pistachio dome. It's my fav of his MDR desserts, but my absolutely fav desserts on Princess now are the

Rotating Norman Love chocolate cakes in Horizon Court! Oh my goodness, best frosting ever!! I had them on the Royal in the Pastry Shop, and I really hope they're fleetwide now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Interesting comments about Curtis Stone.

When I was critical, I was told I was an uncultured culinary barbarian and I shouldn't be negative about a dish unless I had tried it at least three times.

Where are those CS devotees? Could it be the check wasn't in the mail? :p

The Norman Love desserts are brilliant and everyone I tried was simply divine. In my opinion Princess MDR is better than Cunard and P&O, at least it was on Emerald the last two weeks. I must admit that the Curtis Stone offerings on the MDR menu did disappoint; I only tried the Chicken and Leek Pie and the Pork Belly but both were by far the most disappointing items we ordered. That is not to say they were bad just below average for an MDR main course.

I find it unbelievable that on a line with such good MDR food they have introduced a premium alternative dining option that is at best a half decent gastropub. If you compare the dishes available on the 39 dollar menu, with the exquisite offerings in Verandah and Epicurian (the premium alternatives on Cunard and P&O) they are worlds apart.

I really like the decor in Share but that is were it ends. As for the bizarre naming of the restaurant, well I was very confused. The dishes are in no way designed to be shared, in fact they are small individual plates and unless you fancy combining a bit of someones Beef cheek pie with your creamy pasta dish then you won't be sharing at all.

I wanted it to be good and went in with open eyes and had the concept passionately described in detail but it simply doesn't justify the cost. I guess for a change of scenery, a lovely dining room with a nice aspect and highly attentive service it can make for an enjoyable night.

I can't see Princess continuing to roll out Share on more ships. I would't be at all surprised if it was terminated after the Australian Summer season. The decor is excellent as I said and the restaurant could easily be converted at a relatively low cost into a more premium offering.

...I think Princess would have been better off using the money they paid Stone to give to their Executive Chef Alfredo Marzi to create new & improved options. While Stone's options were new, I don't think they were improved options & creating food for thousands of passengers nightly on a cruise ship is much different than at a restaurant...
Frank, [emoji106] for your comments. It is one talent to come up with a new entree item and another to have that translate to an entree that the chefs and galley staffs of 17 ships can prepare consistently every cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

I really like the decor in Share but that is were it ends. As for the bizarre naming of the restaurant, well I was very confused. The dishes are in no way designed to be shared, in fact they are small individual plates and unless you fancy combining a bit of someones Beef cheek pie with your creamy pasta dish then you won't be sharing at all.

The initial marketing materials stressed the idea of "sharing" food with the table. Stone made some video presentations in which he explicitly said people could take a bite from their neighbor's dish. The concept of sharing food appeared to be a bad one, because after people complained (about sharing germs, for one thing) they scaled back on stressing the "shared" aspect of the dining experience. The fact that the portions appear to be rather small, as well as the fact that each dish beyond the first serving will cost more ($39 is the base price), the notion of "sharing" really began to sound like a bad idea. Of course, there are some diners here who really liked the place (and ridiculed those who didn't) so I guess Princess has at least made some of its investment back.

Edited by shredie

The initial marketing materials stressed the idea of "sharing" food with the table. Stone made some video presentations in which he explicitly said people could take a bite from their neighbor's dish. The concept of sharing food appeared to be a bad one, because after people complained (about sharing germs, for one thing) they scaled back on stressing the "shared" aspect of the dining experience. The fact that the portions appear to be rather small, as well as the fact that each dish beyond the first serving will cost more ($39 is the base price), the notion of "sharing" really began to sound like a bad idea. Of course, there are some diners here who really liked the place (and ridiculed those who didn't) so I guess Princess has at least made some of its investment back.

That's a good description about the evolution of the SHARE concept (Princess used upper case letters & not me) which apparently has not been successful.

I can't see Princess continuing to roll out Share on more ships. I would't be at all surprised if it was terminated after the Australian Summer season. The decor is excellent as I said and the restaurant could easily be converted at a relatively low cost into a more premium offering.

There's already an indication that SHARE won't be added to other ships because it was scheduled to replace Sabatini's on the Coral in January but it wasn't added. Passengers on the cruise after the drydock posted that staff told them it was not added because the concept was not being well received by passengers.

Based on Stone's menus, hopefully they won't compound their mistake by continuing with their plan to have a CS Chef's Table. I'm in favor of making changes to the CT menu but not ones made by Stone.

You mentioned the cost & I agree that at $39 it isn't an option for us. Maybe we'd go to SHARE if we had some remaining non-refundable complimentary OBC. Or probably not because my wife would prefer to spend it in the onboard shops. ;)

We've greatly enjoyed the Winemakers Dinner ($40) several times on the Royal & Regal which to us was a step up in quality from the Crown Grill & had free flowing wine throughout the meal. I don't understand why Princess only minimally promotes the Winemakers Dinner on the ship while greatly promoting Curtis Stone. :confused:

Edited by Astro Flyer

We did not get the survey but we have no big issue with the menus. As far as Curtis Stone items go....well we don't order them so we really don't care if they stay or go. If they were going to do anything it would be nice if they had 2 or 3 different menus which they would alternate every 7 days for people who do b/b cruises in the Caribbean.