Transport on Big Island Hawaii

Looby Lou Strong

We are due to go on a cruise to Hawaii on the Star Princess.

We dock in Hilo and we want to go to Hapuna Beach on the other side of the island. What is the best way for us to get there?

You might be better off posting on the Hawaii page of the Ports Of Call section.

A rental car.

Did you check the distance? That's a 1 1/2 hour drive one way. Three hours out of your port time. If your cruise has the same port times as the next one we're booked on...8 hours in port minus a 3 hour drive. Then time to pick up and drop off the rental car, at least another hour or more. Your left with (probably) less than 4 hours.

Then consider that you won't get off the ship the minute it docks and you need to be back ON the ship at least 1/2 hour before departure. You're down to 3 hours or less.

Maybe a closer beach would do?

We dock in Hilo and we want to go to Hapuna Beach on the other side of the island. What is the best way for us to get there?

Recommend you take a helicopter.

Good luck and enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Big Island is BIG. Hilo or Kona, you cannot do both in one day. By rental car the road is not good, and you will drive at least 2 hours each way, or more if there is bad traffic. :(

If you must go to Hapuna Beach, take a helicopter and have drop off near the beach, then arrange helicopter to pick you up and returned to Hilo.

Good luck and enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

A rental car.

Did you check the distance? That's a 1 1/2 hour drive one way. Three hours out of your port time. If your cruise has the same port times as the next one we're booked on...8 hours in port minus a 3 hour drive. Then time to pick up and drop off the rental car, at least another hour or more. Your left with (probably) less than 4 hours.

Then consider that you won't get off the ship the minute it docks and you need to be back ON the ship at least 1/2 hour before departure. You're down to 3 hours or less.

Maybe a closer beach would do?

8 hours in port actually only works out to 7 hours usable. You usually disembark a half hour after docking and have to be onboard 30 minutes before scheduled departure .

Getting the car also will take and return the car about 30 minutes at each end. Now you have only 6 hours left.

We have lived on Hawaii for many years. You would have to get a rental car probably from the airport or at the small port. Trip from Hilo to Hapuna Beach State Park should be a hour and a half each way.

You can go Saddleback (#200) coming over and Highway 19 going back or vice a versa. Each are very scenic and different.

Hapuna is often voted as a top 10 beach and it is large, beautiful and worth the drive. Swimming is excellent. Non residents have to pay a $5.00 parking fee.

Princess docks in Hilo and almost all other cruise lines tender in Kona. To me Hilo is the least interesting and definitely the wettest side of the island.

I would say go for it unless you want to go see the volcano which is best done by helicopter....preferably with the doors off!!

We have lived on Hawaii for many years. You would have to get a rental car probably from the airport or at the small port. Trip from Hilo to Hapuna Beach State Park should be a hour and a half each way.

You can go Saddleback (#200) coming over and Highway 19 going back or vice a versa. Each are very scenic and different.

Hapuna is often voted as a top 10 beach and it is large, beautiful and worth the drive. Swimming is excellent. Non residents have to pay a $5.00 parking fee.

Princess docks in Hilo and almost all other cruise lines tender in Kona. To me Hilo is the least interesting and definitely the wettest side of the island.

I would say go for it unless you want to go see the volcano which is best done by helicopter....preferably with the doors off!!

Least Interesting? Windward side vs Leeward side. Hilo is the wettest, but Kona is a desert. Kona offers world class fishing. Kona does have Hapuna Beach and Captain Cook, and the "Gold Coast" but the Hilo side offers shorter tours to the Volcano and a VERY green coastline and scenery.

If renting a car in Hilo, the Hamakua coast offers a beautiful waterfall tour, Akaka State Park and Falls. Pepe Falls, Rainbow Falls, Kolekole park. When pau with the water falls, go to Richardson beach prior to heading back to the ship to see the Honu.

Hilo is a little sleepy wet town , not overcrowded with ABC Stores and tourist trinkets. Kona does offer alot more walking to shops. If all else fails, go to Uncle Billys pick-up a six pack, walk down to the fish store and get some Poke, sit back and listen to the coque frogs.

To me Hilo is the least interesting and definitely the wettest side of the island.

Speaking of wet...On our last cruise to Hawaii, when we got off at the Hilo port it was raining so hard you may as well have been in the shower. There was a line for rental car shuttles outside in all that rain. We got on the shuttle bus drenched to the bone.

We dried out of course, but it certainly could have been more pleasant. We laughed about it later though.

Our 3 other cruise trips to Hilo had pleasant weather.

Weather happens !

Edited by jasmith52

Least Interesting? Windward side vs Leeward side. Hilo is the wettest, but Kona is a desert. Kona offers world class fishing. Kona does have Hapuna Beach and Captain Cook, and the "Gold Coast" but the Hilo side offers shorter tours to the Volcano and a VERY green coastline and scenery.

If renting a car in Hilo, the Hamakua coast offers a beautiful waterfall tour, Akaka State Park and Falls. Pepe Falls, Rainbow Falls, Kolekole park. When pau with the water falls, go to Richardson beach prior to heading back to the ship to see the Honu.

Hilo is a little sleepy wet town , not overcrowded with ABC Stores and tourist trinkets. Kona does offer alot more walking to shops. If all else fails, go to Uncle Billys pick-up a six pack, walk down to the fish store and get some Poke, sit back and listen to the coque frogs.

Respectfully disagree. Re: that Hilo least interesting than Kona.

Stopping at Hilo gives PAX a very brief look at real small town Hawaii Not like the sanitized tourist condo and hotel lined Kona. YMMV and what you're looking for when visiting the the Hawaiian Islands.

Anyways, the Hawaiian Islands are best experienced with a land vacation IMHO. Like not on any cruise. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I know it will be about a 1.5 hour drive to the beach and that we will need to leave plenty of time to get back to the ship in time.

I don't drive abroad, so wouldn't rent a car.

How available are the taxis when you get off the ship in Hilo? I know it will be expensive to go by taxi. Any ideas what the cost might be.

Helicopter is way out of my price range!!

Stopping at Hilo gives PAX a very brief look at real small town Hawaii Not like the sanitized tourist condo and hotel lined Kona. YMMV and what you're looking for when visiting the the Hawaiian Islands.

Anyways, the Hawaiian Islands are best experienced with a land vacation IMHO. Like not on any cruise. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

Hawaii is a very divergent island in it's geography and climate zones....most people who live on Hawaii do not prefer Hilo....125 inches of rain a year (Hilo) versus 15 inches of rain a year (Kona) is a determining factor in where people live and tourists prefer to visit.

I agree a cruise ship is the not the best way to experience Hawaii. The Pride of America comes into Kona every Wednesday and the passengers get off...run around town, go to Walmart, usually a beach locals do not frequent and run back to the ship and state "I have seen Hawaii Island.)

I know it will be about a 1.5 hour drive to the beach and that we will need to leave plenty of time to get back to the ship in time.

How available are the taxis when you get off the ship in Hilo? I know it will be expensive to go by taxi. Any ideas what the cost might be.

Taxi's will be expensive too because a trip from the Kona airport to Waikoloa -

usually 18 miles is easily $100 USD.

Driving on Hawaii Island is not that hard....most roads are 2 lanes and the highest speed limit is 55 miles an hour which is not very common even on our roads. Most locals drive slow but tourists like to speed which makes it very easy for police to give tickets. I would recommend a rental car but also if you can afford it a taxi or possibly a tour by a local:

https://www.toursbylocals.com/Hilo-Tours

https://www.toursbylocals.com/Kona-Tours

Edited by PrincessLuver

How about hooking up with someone from your roll call and have them drive. Driving in Hawaii (unless you are in Honolulu) is pretty easy and safe. And, if this is what you want to do, go for it. Uber maybe??

Enjoy your cruise.

I appreciate your disagreement. Hilo is my favorite port. I just spent another 4 days on the Hilo side of the island. Didn't get to Kona at all. So much to see, not enough time for all during a port call to Hilo.

Is there a particular reason why Hapuna Beach is such a draw for you? Is it because it is on the most beautiful beach list? If that is the reason, wait for Honolulu and go to Lanikai, Kailua Beach, or Waimanalo Beach Park. These also made the top 10 list. Lanikai is beautiful, but parking is a bear.

How about hooking up with someone from your roll call and have them drive. Driving in Hawaii (unless you are in Honolulu) is pretty easy and safe. And, if this is what you want to do, go for it. Uber maybe??

My suggestion, exactly. On our 2013 Hawaii cruise there was a couple from England that posted to the Roll Call that they would be interested in hooking up with someone to share expenses for a rental car on some or all of the islands. I replied back that it sounded great to us. We were happy to have some great company and they were happy to have someone drive that had been to the islands a few times before. We did a lot of driving and saw a lot of sights that the Princess tours did, but, also several things that they wouldn't have seen on a Princess tour. All in all I think it was probably an average cost of $30.00 per person per island stop. They were very happy with what we did. BTW, we enjoyed their company and still stay in touch.

Edited by ar1950

I appreciate your disagreement. Hilo is my favorite port. I just spent another 4 days on the Hilo side of the island. Didn't get to Kona at all. So much to see, not enough time for all during a port call to Hilo.

Is there a particular reason why Hapuna Beach is such a draw for you? Is it because it is on the most beautiful beach list? If that is the reason, wait for Honolulu and go to Lanikai, Kailua Beach, or Waimanalo Beach Park. These also made the top 10 list. Lanikai is beautiful, but parking is a bear.

cr8tiv1, couldn't agree more. I know that you are from the Islands, and, I can only speak from the perspective of having been a few times. The last couple of times we have rented a car and have gone to the Volcano Park, Macadamia nut farm, the water falls and a few other stops. (the ukulele shop that Tiki Dave recommends was one :D). We even drove to the Punaluu County Beach Park after the Volcano Park visit on one trip and enjoyed the black sand beach. Nice place, too, as it was not crowded and mostly locals there. Too bad that the cruise stop is so short because there is much to do if you are so inclined. Kona is too much like a typical tourist area. You can get that in the Lahaina, Maui stop if that is what you are looking for.

YMMV.

Edited by ar1950