Parking at Manhattan Cruise Terminal ADVICE PLEASE :)

jetta8300

We will be departing on the NCL Breakaway Sunday Oct.2. Leaving from Ohio, we will not be staying in the area at a hotel the night before. We have a 3 year old son at home who is staying with grandma...so we plan on leaving around 8pm the night before after dropping him off, driving the first 5 or so hours, and then finding somewhere to sleep. Then driving the last 2 hours or so in the morning.

In this scenario, when people are not using a hotel near the area, do travelers usually just park at the cruise port parking deck? Looking it up, looks like it's going to be $280 or so for a 7 day cruise. Outrageous compared to other cruise ports, but it is NYC. Any advice about parking, driving, or my whole plan in general is appreciated. We have never been to NYC, and are kind of afraid of the whole process :eek:

We will be departing on the NCL Breakaway Sunday Oct.2. Leaving from Ohio, we will not be staying in the area at a hotel the night before. We have a 3 year old son at home who is staying with grandma...so we plan on leaving around 8pm the night before after dropping him off, driving the first 5 or so hours, and then finding somewhere to sleep. Then driving the last 2 hours or so in the morning.

In this scenario, when people are not using a hotel near the area, do travelers usually just park at the cruise port parking deck? Looking it up, looks like it's going to be $280 or so for a 7 day cruise. Outrageous compared to other cruise ports, but it is NYC. Any advice about parking, driving, or my whole plan in general is appreciated. We have never been to NYC, and are kind of afraid of the whole process :eek:

Another option folks use is to park at Port Imperial in Weehawken NJ for $16/day and take the ferry across for $9/pp each way. It's about a 10-12 block walk directly up 12th Ave. Also there are free ferry buses that can get you closer to the pier entrance or a cab ride up the street is inexpensive. At Port Imperial one person can get dropped off at the ferry terminal entrance with the luggage while the other person parks.

You will pay $280 to park at the Manhattan pier plus a eastbound only $15 bridge or tunnel toll to get into NY.

Any other scenario is complicated for out of towners. Yes you can spend less but not much less... We leave the following week and I have chosen to do a park n fly deal in New Jersey. But we have to buy $100 in train fares and two taxi rides and add 2 hours to the trip home. Don't worry about the drive or parking. If you want good instructions I can post a link for you tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Looking it up, looks like it's going to be $280 or so for a 7 day cruise. Outrageous compared to other cruise ports, but it is NYC.

$40 per day is actually very cheap for NYC. I know it seems absurd to people who don't live here. There are cheaper alternatives, parking in NJ, etc., and you will get lots of good advice about that here.

It's costly to park in NYC, period. I think the convenience of parking at the pier is well worth it, and that's what we always do. (The alternatives, including parking in NJ, just aren't worth the inconveniece to us. I realize others may feel differently.)

Here are very detailed instructions/directions (with photos) from CC poster Sebas030 re getting to and parking at the pier:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43106617&postcount=1%E2%80%8B

With the caveat that anything can happen anywhere, you should not have problems on a Sunday morning. Just don't get to the pier too early or the disembarking passengers won't have gotten off yet and moved their cars. The lot doesn't open till 9am. (We like to arrive around 9:30am; for us, the vacation starts when we see the ship!)

Have a great cruise!

Thanks very much for your replies. I think the traffic with actually driving directly to the pier is what worried us, and if we would then somehow be late, but if driving straight there isn't usually a problem traffic wise then we will just do that. We will plan on arriving sometime around 9:30 or 10 then! Hoping our GPS is accurate with the ETA and accounts for traffic!

Thanks very much for your replies. I think the traffic with actually driving directly to the pier is what worried us, and if we would then somehow be late, but if driving straight there isn't usually a problem traffic wise then we will just do that. We will plan on arriving sometime around 9:30 or 10 then! Hoping our GPS is accurate with the ETA and accounts for traffic!

What route are you coming in on from Ohio? I80, I78, or the NJ Turnpike?

The convenience of the port is, in my opinion, well worth it. When my sister and I did it last year, we gave the porter $20 and he took us all the way to our car. Not sure if that was because my sister was using a mobility scooter, but it worked magnificently for us. The porter also got us through customs without the lines.

The convenience of the port is, in my opinion, well worth it. When my sister and I did it last year, we gave the porter $20 and he took us all the way to our car. Not sure if that was because my sister was using a mobility scooter, but it worked magnificently for us. The porter also got us through customs without the lines.

A great tip for the OP.

OP: at the end of your cruise, when you get off the ship, find a porter in the baggage area, even if you don't need help with your luggage. In the NY cruise terminal, the porters are able to take you through a separate customs/immigration line, which can speed things up for you immensely. Whatever tip you give the porter is well worth the time saved. The porter will also bring your luggage up the elevator with you to where the cars are parked and, depending on where you have parked, may very well bring the stuff to your car, or wait till you drive the car over.

I'm actually not sure! When I use MapQuest, it wants to take me I80 to the Lincoln Tunnel. Is this a good way?

That's strange. I would do I80 to the GW Bridge and take the Henry Hudson Parkway straight to the cruise terminal. Will post directions later. Do you have an EZpass?

Edited by 138east

I have found that the GPS will go solely on distance. So if you measure the Lincoln Tunnel way might be a mile closer. That doesn't mean it's the best way. The GWB to Henry Hudson is the best because you drive straight down and then turn right, into the parking. No navigating Manhattan streets or making u turns

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP, if you can or are using a smartphone, consider using Map/Navigation by Google from Ohio to your first stop the night before (which incorporate real-time traffic info from Waze, another free App for both iPhones & Androids) and then, use Waze to navigate the rest of the way/last 2 hours - which has the option to choose different routing, coming across from NJ - it should/always show the GWB approach as one option - or select GWB as a "waypoint" or intermediate stop, then continue onto Manhattan Cruise Terminal, which will guide you down the Henry Hudson/old West Side Hwy as above - link given by Turtles06 & written by another CC member.

If you do not have EZ-Pass, take the upper level of the GWB to NY as the lower level of GWB is EZ-Pass, which I use often when truck traffic are jamming the upper level approach - and, Waze sometime direct me to take Rt. 46 East, a local bypass to reach the lower level of GWB using EZ-Pass.

Or, use Waze to take you to Port Imperial Ferry to park there for your Breakaway cruise, as 138east/Carol explained.

Thanks so much everyone. The GW to Henry Hudson Parkway sounds like the way we should go. I will make sure we do that! When doing Google Maps, it says to take I80 to I95, to the I95/ NJ turnpike for a few miles, to Henry Hudson Parkway. Looks like this takes us over the GW bridge! Thanks!

Edited by jetta8300

Using "Park Right" is a very good option we used and recommend it.

They are only a 5 minute walk from the ship and you save quite a bit of money, parking rates in New York are ridiculous in my opinion.

Earlier this year we used them and if I remember we paid about $25 a day, called them first to see if they had any online promo codes, and they did give us one which saved a us a little more for booking on line.

They are simple to use, you can either drop off your luggage at the ship and drive over, drop off your car and then walk the five minutes back, super easy or you can also go there first and they will shuttle you to the ship in your car and drop you off. the walk to the ship is very easy and quick.

... Google Maps, it says to take I80 to I95, to the I95/ NJ turnpike for a few miles, to Henry Hudson Parkway. Looks like this takes us over the GW bridge! ...

If you are planning the drive & use smartphone Google Maps/Navigation on I-80, coming across the Delaware Water Gaps into NJ, it is basically a straight routing to GWB - New York City & onward to New England - past the Garden State Parkway exit, you will see signs for Express or Local Lanes for GWB (with ETA) and soon, traffic from the NJ Turnpike (I-95) will exit/merge with I-80 together, continue on I-95 North (around Bogota, NJ) to the GWB (for the last 10-15 minutes of driving, on a typical, easy, Sunday morning drive ... traffic is typically light at 9 or 10 AM)

Posted speed limit is 55 mph but generally flow faster with traffic at the above time. Express has 2 lanes for traffic and Local has 2, 3 & sometimes 4 lanes to allow for high speed merge & exiting to local towns - we have EZ-Pas and generally use Local approach to GWB (still need to slow down thru the toll plaza, but no cash payment or collections to fully stopping traffic & no trucks allowed. Electronic, overhead signs will warn & alert all drivers of accidents or closure, constructions and other major incidents ahead to help you plan & decide at the last minute.

Once you are passed the GWB toll plaza on NJ side, follow the signs & quickly move into the proper lane to exit for the Henry Hudson Parkway to go south toward the cruise terminal (refer to the other posted link for pictures & details).

Edited by mking8288

I noticed there is a coupon for 25% off for Norwegian Gem passengers. Has anyone tried the coupon for another cruise? Do they actually look at what line you are cruising on. That would make the cost more reasonable at the pier.

This has been asked every now and then over on the NCL board. I don't recall anyone not on the Gem being able to use it, but you could print it out and try. And they DO know what cruise line and ship you'll be on because you'll be directed to park in the lot next to your ship. (Other lots will be secured, unless there's another ship leaving the same day.)

Chalk up the incredibly convenient parking to the cost of your cruise out of NYC, and have a wonderful trip! :)

I noticed there is a coupon for 25% off for Norwegian Gem passengers. Has anyone tried the coupon for another cruise? Do they actually look at what line you are cruising on. That would make the cost more reasonable at the pier.

No who has tried and reported on it on Cruise Critic has had it accepted for another cruise ship. For starters, if the Gem is not in port that day, the parking lot cashier obviously knows you couldn't be cruising on the Gem.

If the Gem happens to be in port its cruise could be for a different number of days than yours, and if it's a longer cruise than yours you may not be saving any money by pretending you're on the Gem because you'll be charged the rate for the Gem's cruise. In other words, let's say you're on a 7 night cruise and the Gem is on a 10 night itinerary. The rate for your cruise is $280, the rate for the Gem cruise is $400, and after taking off 25% it comes to $300, $20 more than what you would have paid for your cruise without any discount.

You also could be directed to park on the roof of the wrong pier, which could be troublesome. If you park where the Gem cruisers are parking that day but when you come back the Gem isn't in port, the parking lot your car is in might be inaccessible as parking lots are only open on cruise days.

Edited by njhorseman

I would advise not trying to park using the discount for the GEM if you are sailing on the Breakaway or Carnival ships, etc. docking & returning to MCT, especially if your itinerary is different and not returning on the same day as the GEM - you will find the secured parking lot closed & locked, and no access to retrieve the vehicle.

At a minimum, your quick exit leaving the rooftop parking above the pier will be delayed, and, maybe only after they re-adjust the rate charged ... not worth the hassle.

#Sigh, we parked above the pier when we sailed the Dawn in 2003 - it was only $140 for 7 days then. Nowadays, we park in our own driveway & call the car service - cheaper & if traffic is good, we are at the pier in 30 minutes, barely enough time for a cat nap. And, a safety reminder - wear your safety seat belts even riding in the backseat, not required by law, just highly recommended (not pretty if you face hit that partition used by some car service ... and yellow taxi, in a sudden/emergency stop)

I'm planning on visiting the Intrepid before embarking. Can I leave my luggage and carry on in my car at Pier 88 parking and go back later to retrieve it?

Yes.

You could also turn your checked luggage over to the porters before visiting the Intrepid and then just retrieve your carry on from the car later.