45 minutes to connect in Dallas airport

lovevacadays

American just changed by return flight from Fort Lauderdale. I have 45 minutes from landing to take off for my next flight. If my flight from Florida leaves on time, is this a doable connection? I realize it only gives me about 30 minutes or so as the connecting flight will close doors a bit before departure. I can change to a later flight but it's a 3 hour layover. I'll do the 3 hour wait if necessary but would love some input.

Thanks

Edited by lovevacadays

45 minutes is doable at DFW, but barely. The airport is quite efficient for an airport of its size, and you can get from any gate to any other gate within 10-12 minutes via the SkyTrain.

BUT, that being said, you need to try to be as far forward in your inbound flight as possible, because being in the back of a plane can easily add 10 minutes to your time. If you're towards the front, and the inbound is on-time, it's possible to make it for sure...but you won't have much cushion room, or much time to stop along the way.

45 minutes is doable at DFW, but barely. The airport is quite efficient for an airport of its size, and you can get from any gate to any other gate within 10-12 minutes via the SkyTrain.

BUT, that being said, you need to try to be as far forward in your inbound flight as possible, because being in the back of a plane can easily add 10 minutes to your time. If you're towards the front, and the inbound is on-time, it's possible to make it for sure...but you won't have much cushion room, or much time to stop along the way.

Thank you. I'm in aisle 14. They did say there are 3 evening flights after many ne so if I miss I should be able to get on another flight.

DFW is one of our favourite airports on the way to FLL.

We had done 45 minute connections a number of times. Tight, but very doable. You need to take into consideration that the landing time is NOT the time when you exit the aircraft and go to your next flight. Plus you need to be at your next gate prior to the scheduled departure gate.

We have done it. You essentially have about 25 minutes if the stars are aligned and it is very doable given the layout and transportation at the airport. You need to understand where you are going and how to get there. No time for spending time trying to figure it out after you have de-planed.

Then there is always the unknowns. Will you incoming flight be early? Be late? Will the next flight depart on time or a little late?

We have never missed a connection at DFW but there is a first for everything I guess. Good luck.

I am going to have the same problem, 45 min. We always fly from our regional airport on an eagle flight to DFW and then on to Miami. I used my AA miles to book our flights for May and I was only offered one option both ways. I can't believe they would even give it as an option. We leave Miami at 6:00 am arrive at DFW at 8:05 am and our connecting flight leaves at 9:00 am. The good thing is I know there are other flights to Waco after 9:00 but I am hoping between now and May they will do one of their many flight time changes....

We have never missed a connection at DFW but there is a first for everything I guess. Good luck.

Now, I will admit that I am not only a road warrior but one who does the majority of his travel on AA, and thus at times I feel as though I practically live at DFW, but...I've definitely missed flights at DFW. I've missed flights that had 40 minute connections, and I've missed flights that had 3 hour connections. Sometimes, inbound delays just happen.

But, for an airport the sheer size and capacity of DFW, acting as a home hub of the world's largest airline, it's shockingly efficient. That SkyTrain really makes connections possible that would be impossible at many other airports.

You need to take into consideration that the landing time is NOT the time when you exit the aircraft and go to your next flight.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. Landing time? The scheduled arrival time is never the "landing time" anyway; it's the time your flight is scheduled to park at the gate. Just like the scheduled departure time is the time your flight is scheduled to leave the gate, not lift off.

Don't forget that there is so much padding built into schedules nowadays, that you will usually arrive early, barring any weather delays, etc. E.g. SAT-DFW is between 39 and 45 minutes flying time depending on the runway in use at each airport, the schedules are anywhere from 1 hour 8 minutes to 1 hour 18 minutes. Usually, taxiing does not take 20-30 minutes.

On your initial departure, don't gate check a bag. Carry it on with you. I once missed a connection while waiting for bags to be brought up. As others have said, DFW is easy to navigate and signage is good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will second this. Some planes have very small overhead bins so be careful with bag size.

Thank you everyone. I'm going to wish for the best. If I end up having to wait for the flight that is 3 hours later, one of my friends who lives in Dallas said they would come have lunch with me. All will be well either way. We are all so excited for this trip.

On your initial departure, don't gate check a bag. Carry it on with you. I once missed a connection while waiting for bags to be brought up. As others have said, DFW is easy to navigate and signage is good.

Why would you think that the OP would have to claim and recheck their bags changing between what appears to be two AA domestic flights at a hub airport? If the connection is bookable then the bags will be checked through and should make the next flight (we just recently had a 35 min connection on AA at DCA between gates at two different concourses and the bags made it)

Why would you think that the OP would have to claim and recheck their bags changing between what appears to be two AA domestic flights at a hub airport? If the connection is bookable then the bags will be checked through and should make the next flight (we just recently had a 35 min connection on AA at DCA between gates at two different concourses and the bags made it)
If you look back, the post you responded to was talking about gate checking a bag - most likely the "valet" kind of drop off with smaller aircraft where a standard roller won't fit aboard. This is where you have to wait for the carry-on to be returned to you.

This brings up the problem of the nomenclature of "gate check". In effect, there are two types. One is the small aircraft type, where standard bags won't fit, so the airline provisions for a valet type service at the jetway. It's the "pink tags" on Delta, green ones on Alaska and the like. You drop off the bag before boarding the aircraft and retrieve at a similar spot on your arrival. The second is when there are more bags than space. This is when the airline will "check" your bag through to your final destination, doing so at the gate. You get the standard white baggage tag put on your bag, it goes in the hold and you do NOT get it at any connection point - it is no longer a carry-on, but rather is checked luggage hold baggage.

Big difference when it comes to a connection.

I believe the poster meant gate check or valet check the carry on bag as there is never enough room in the overhead bins.

OK, you got me, I missed the word "gate". So I agree that it is a very fair reminder from that post that taking a stuffed-full carry-on in lieu of checking a bag due to a tight connection is the reverse of the correct strategy--got to avoid a forced gate check.

OK, you got me, I missed the word "gate". So I agree that it is a very fair reminder from that post that taking a stuffed-full carry-on in lieu of checking a bag due to a tight connection is the reverse of the correct strategy--got to avoid a forced gate check.
It is also a function of what type of aircraft, in addition to the "stuffed" level of the bag.

If it's a CRJ or ERJ, no way will a roller fit onboard. The larger Embraer jets can hold most bags. Full size aircraft are good, as long as you can board before the bins fill up. But if you are the last to board, you are at best a coin flip to have it in the cabin.

If it's a CRJ or ERJ, no way will a roller fit onboard.

About 4yrs ago I was on a United Express EMB-145 and this 1K refused to give up his rollerbag. It wasn't a full size but was still certainly too big for the overhead lockers. I boarded just behind him (because he HAD to board first having been standing on the red carpet for 30mins before boarding :rolleyes: ) and he kicked up such a fuss with the FA that was greeting people in the galley. He was holding up the entire boarding line for several minutes refusing to gate check the thing. In the end the FA relented and let him wedge it (with a great degree of difficulty) under his seat. There was certainly nowhere for his legs to go.

Was certainly one of the most pathetic DYKWIA situations I'd seen...