Looking at taking a cruise

carmenOH

on the Caribbean Princess on November 13th. The price looks very good but we have never cruised with Princess before. We have been on Norwegian once and RC 5 times so we are familiar with cruising but I would be interested in hearing some differences between RC and Princess. I always felt like Princess would be a step up. Also, would it be smart to go through a travel agent or just book it online? Thanks for any feedback.

It all depends on what you would like to experience on a cruise.

Unlike some RCCL ships, Princess does not have water slides, an ice skating rink,flo-riders or parades in the atrium on their ships.

Princess does offer good service, quiet areas for relaxation,some good food venues- not always charging fees, good entertainment and a number of pools- one adult only- on the Caribbean Princess.

Since the pricing is good for this cruise ,in your opinion, try a sailing and see if Princess is a good fit for you.

Although there are differences, Princess and Royal Caribbean are more the same than they are different. I enjoy both cruise lines and would sail with whomever has a better itinerary or better price. You'll have a good time on Princess.

Book with whomever you are comfortable with.

on the Caribbean Princess on November 13th. The price looks very good but we have never cruised with Princess before. We have been on Norwegian once and RC 5 times so we are familiar with cruising but I would be interested in hearing some differences between RC and Princess. I always felt like Princess would be a step up. Also, would it be smart to go through a travel agent or just book it online? Thanks for any feedback.

I am with you CarmenOH have never sail Princess but have sailed RCCL. I am going on my first Princess cruise December 2016 I had the same kind of questions when I first was looking. We just pull the trigger and said "I'm sure it will at least be a good cruise, I just hope its a great cruise like RCCL". IMHO the #1 thing that seems to be different is the night life. What I have gathered from talking to seasoned cruisers is that RCCL's night life is more hop'n then Princess. Also like one poster already said you don't have the rock wall or wave runners, but then again I would just get hurt and be down and out for the rest of the cruise:eek:. As a Chinese philosopher once said "The water may look cold, but one never knows for sure until he/she dives in.":D

If you never have cruised with Princess I would use a TA or book direct with Princess.

This has got me wondering, if the original poster decides to go ahead with this cruise idea but disregards your advice on booking what will he need to do?

If people had previously cruised with Princess your advice should presumably be different but what would it be to people under those circumstances?

Regards John

This has got me wondering, if the original poster decides to go ahead with this cruise idea but disregards your advice on booking what will he need to do?

If people had previously cruised with Princess your advice should presumably be different but what would it be to people under those circumstances?

Regards John

If I may...

Presumably the TA or the cruise-line is familiar with the ship(s) and can make intelligent suggestions to the novice. Presumably once you've been on a Princess ship you could then consider booking without so much help. Perhaps then a discount online source could be used.

just my two cents

Edited by jasmith52

I appreciate the feedback. . .really good stuff. It will just be the wife and I so without the kids it sounds like this may be the way to go. I guess I was thinking about a TA so I could get good info on cabins, drink packages, . . .

I appreciate the feedback. . .really good stuff. It will just be the wife and I so without the kids it sounds like this may be the way to go. I guess I was thinking about a TA so I could get good info on cabins, drink packages, . . .

Cabins are straight forward as regards type, balcony is best generally in hot cruising regions, unless you have a huge budget. Location is pretty easy to choose; mid-ship is more convenient to get to most places on board and will move about less in rough seas than forward or aft locations. Getting a cabin with other cabins above and below is classic for quietness. I like swimming, so Lido Deck suits me as long as I get fairly forward and non-gym side to avoid gym and sailaway party noise it's too high and too far forward for people who you suspect might become sea sick though. If you think you might like to be near somewhere as you go there a lot then that location is more for you. You might find people dressing up a bit smarter on Princess.

We regard on line sources of booking as on line travel agents, in the United Kingdom, which is why I could not understand how else one might book.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Although there are differences, Princess and Royal Caribbean are more the same than they are different.

This is crazy talk. This is like saying that Celebrity, Princess, RCL, Norwegian, Oceania, Holland America, Carnival and the like are more the same than they are different. Of Course, they are ships that sail on the ocean. If one cruises enough, the same differences are what make the difference between lines. Not that they are more the same than they are different.

I assure anyone that RCL and Princess are not the same at all in terms of cruising differences.

Enjoy a Princess cruise and see if you like it.

Walt: 46 day countdown.

Although there are differences, Princess and Royal Caribbean are more the same than they are different.

This is crazy talk. This is like saying that Celebrity, Princess, RCL, Norwegian, Oceania, Holland America, Carnival and the like are more the same than they are different. Of Course, they are ships that sail on the ocean. If one cruises enough, the small differences are what make the difference between lines. Not that they are more the same than they are different.

I assure anyone that RCL and Princess are not the same at all in terms of cruising differences.

Our first cruise was with Princess and we were hooked. We have friends who took their first (and last!) cruise with Carnival. They will never cruise again. Our first cruise was a 10 day SF/Alaska round trip. Theirs was a Spring Break Caribbean cruise.

We like that Princess doesn't offer the things many other lines offer such as water slides, rock climbing walls, zip lines, hairy chest contests, etc. It's very laid back and there is no brightly colored decor. It seems to fit our desires very nicely and that is why we have become "Princess people". There are never people puking in the elevators or on the deck and I don't think I have ever heard anybody say f**k in a public venue on any of our Princess cruises.

We cruise for relaxation and quality time. We receive excellent service from the staff who seem to work very hard to make our cruise experience excellent. I can't compare Princess to other lines as we have never sailed with another line and likely won't unless Princess fails to offer the cruising experience we have come to love or we really desire to experience an itinerary (river cruising?) that Princess doesn't offer.

We have cruised on both Princess and RCCL and prefer Princess. As other posters have mentioned we feel that the food and service is definitely superior on Princess. We do not care for rock walls, water slides, and atrium parades. The last time that we saw an atrium parade on RCCL it was very obvious on the faces of the participating crew members that they didn't want to be there. Once we tried Princess we knew that we wouldn't be going back to RCCL. That being said, our favorite cruise line is Disney and the Fantasy is our favorite ship.

Originally Posted by jasmith52 View Post

This is crazy talk. This is like saying that Celebrity, Princess, RCL, Norwegian, Oceania, Holland America, Carnival and the like are more the same than they are different. Of Course, they are ships that sail on the ocean. If one cruises enough, the same differences are what make the difference between lines. Not that they are more the same than they are different.

We'll think what you want.

Oceana aside, I stand by what I posted. There are differences to the mass market cruise-lines but they are all more the same than they are different. I would enjoy a cruise on any of them.

Edited by jasmith52

I contacted a TA and she is holding an inside cabin for us until tomorrow and said that there is a good chance we will get an upgrade to balcony. She also wants me to take a serious look at an all inclusive in Puerto Morelos. When everything is said and done an all inclusive might be cheaper than a cruise, but there is something about booking a cruise that is so darn exciting!

Thanks for the feedback it sounds like a Princess cruise will be a great fit for what we are looking for.

Repeating above as it is fact.

Princess and RCCL are worlds apart with regard to presented product. If you need something high energy to do at all times, Princess isn't for you. If you like a chance to do chillax the day away, then Princess (or HA or Celebrity) is for you.

We have cruised on Celebrity, Princess and RCCL and enjoyed each line for different reasons. We find Celebrity to be a bit more upscale and RCCL glitzy and hopping. When I went on my first Princess ship my immediate response was that it has a homey feel and I was very comfortable. I still experience the same feeling each time we cruise Princesss. Would cruise on any of these lines and am doing so in November on Princess.

That being said, we also do "all inclusive" vacations and love them as well.

I don't know your budget but don't forget to figure in round trip airfare to Mexico in comparison to flying to Florida.

As far as an upgrade from inside to balcony, that's awesome if it happens. Since you have done previous cruises you must realize the difference between the two cabin types.

Good luck and have fun wherever you go!;)

Completely disagree that Princess and RCCL are worlds apart. I've found them to be very similar once you get past the rock-climbing, water slide stuff. Food was better on my last RCCL cruise than on my last Princess cruise. Entertainment was about the same, with a slight nod to Princess. Cabin was nicer on RCCL, etc.