Dilemma: 1A or Suite? Save or Go for it?

Lastdance

I am booked in an S1 aft suite, deck 12 on the Reflection. 1A is available for 3,600; my suite was around 10,000. The cruise is a TA, so lots of sea days! The 1A price is so compelling...any thoughts? This is driving me crazy due to a great 1A location and cheap price! I have been alerting people on my roll call and they are saving money, but no savings for me. The 1A is on the slant of the hump with a huge balcony and close to the elevators...I have been in an S1 aft before and on the slant of the hump...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

Only you can answer.....what is the space, michael's club and luminae worth to you.

The 1A cabins almost all have larger balconies, but of course they are smaller...and you have to suffer in the MDR (or buy the specialty dining package for $29 person for the length of the cruise.

We certainly would not pay an additional $6400 for a suite on Celebrity....for that additional amount, I would be on one of the significantly better, non mass market cruise lines....Viking, Oceania, Crystal, Regent, etc.

We had a similar decision recently. We have never sailed in a suite and were considering one for a 7 day cruise for our 45th anniversary next year. And then I found a 14 day cruise in a 1A (slant balcony on the hump) considerably less. We ended up with the 1A. With the money we saved, I can do specialty dining whenever we want. and our itinerary has one Caribbean island we've never been to before, with our 1st overnight in Aruba. All in all, we think we'll stick with the 1As that we love.

The choice is really yours.

Since there are no perks with a TA what is the value of drinks, soda, water,etc in Michael's club plus the extra space worth. The 1A has a deep narrow balcony the Suite has a longer narrow balcony. Luminae vs the MDR is worth quite a bit to us.

We did the Reflection Transatlantic in a 1A in 2014. It was the same itinerary as next year's April transatlantic.

We were so busy doing activities around the ship that we were seldom in the cabin during the day. On a cruise with a lot of sea days, the passengers tend to spend more time getting to know one another and make more of an effort to socialize. For example, arrange to meet for lunch or drinks. If you have elite status you will receive three drink coupons a day, good for use between 5 and 7 PM. Depending on how much you like to drink, the free drinks for suite passengers may not be of much value to you if you are eligible for the coupons.

If you book the 1A remember to use your Captain's Club status so you will only have to pay the price of one category below. If I were in your situation I would choose the 1A and use the savings to book another cruise. Of course, it is ultimately your decision.

Edited by rose6
Adding information

Only you can answer.....what is the space, michael's club and luminae worth to you.

The 1A cabins almost all have larger balconies, but of course they are smaller...and you have to suffer in the MDR (or buy the specialty dining package for $29 person for the length of the cruise.

We certainly would not pay an additional $6400 for a suite on Celebrity....for that additional amount, I would be on one of the significantly better, non mass market cruise lines....Viking, Oceania, Crystal, Regent, etc.

You have to 'suffer' what in the MDR?

I agree with villauk ...suffer what??

That apart surely 1A gives access to Blu ?

I know I'm swearing in church here, but although Luminae is a welcome step up from the MDR, it's not really up to the standards of a suite restaurant when you are paying close to three times the price. It's more than adequate, but that's it. At least it will be open for lunch every day on a TA, whereas it's not normally available on port days. Another failing against proper suite standards.

My advice - do whatever you think is the best use of your money. You could of course always try and negotiate the price of your suite down,. using the 1A as your leverage. I wish we had that sort of option in the UK, where booking conditions are less flexible.

Good luck whatever you choose. A TA is a wonderfully relaxing way to travel.

That would be A1 (aqua class).

I wish X had chosen different names for those categories, and also for 2A and A2, to make them easier to distinguish from one another.

Are you before final payment so you can take advantage of the savings? If so, I'd go for it.

So would I.

I would not pay $10,000 for a sky suite, which is not even really a suite but only one large room that includes extra amenities.

Actually, with my OBC the price of the suite is only 9,000. I forgot to mention that. Also, the extra money isn't an issue, but the 1A price is so great! I am so confused, but want to thank everyone for their great comments!!!

Edited by Lastdance

That would be A1 (aqua class).

I wish X had chosen different names for those categories, and also for 2A and A2, to make them easier to distinguish from one another.

It does not have access to Blu and I love Blu!

I am booked in an S1 aft suite, deck 12 on the Reflection. 1A is available for 3,600; my suite was around 10,000. The cruise is a TA, so lots of sea days! The 1A price is so compelling...any thoughts? This is driving me crazy due to a great 1A location and cheap price! I have been alerting people on my roll call and they are saving money, but no savings for me. The 1A is on the slant of the hump with a huge balcony and close to the elevators...I have been in an S1 aft before and on the slant of the hump...

As your example shows the market value of Suites since the enhanced benefits were implemented has increased dramatically. As much as I love the S1 corner suites the price difference would even make me reconsider especially since the "Best perks" are not included with a TA. I suspect that the S1 were sold at closer to $8K when first released and are now over priced. When the fall 2016 TA was first released the Royal Suite was only $12K.

In your example it is hard to justify the $427 a day premium for two people. I would be inclined to downgrade and look for a better deal on a suite next time. If people cancel closer to the final payment date then perhaps the suite price will be reduced and you can upgrade.

You have to 'suffer' what in the MDR?

I choked at that comment too. Suffer either us, the other MDR occupants or the food, which is hardly 'insufferable'.

However the OPs question, I could never pay that much more for a suite. Yes it has perks but at such a price. Either the itinerary could have lots of port days or on a TA it could be a sunny crossing meaning you might want to be on deck. Either way that means little time in the room, unless sitting for hours in a (albeit bigger) room is someone's idea of a nice holiday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honestly, and I only sail suites, but I would not in this scenario. I typically only cruise when I can pay 10-12k for RS (higher for PH) on a 7-10 day cruise and would certainly not pay that amount for a SS. At that price point, I would go with an A1 and then watch for price drops. If you get the SS down to a reasonable level (or higher price for a better suite) then I would upgrade.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Sorry, I couldn't resist suggesting that from Celebrity marketing's point of view, the MDR would be suffering vs Luminae on food...and there would be that lack of exclusivity forcing one to mix with the unwashed non-suite guests. From my point of view, the MDR is not suffering at all....but I am still chaffing from the blinder view that celebrity took in the past 2 years on suite guests at the expense of aqua and other guests....I almost felt like an unwashed peasant...special dining room, special drink/snack room, don't forget the tacky red carpet and private entrance at ports....etc.

no...1A is not aqua.....A1 and A2 are aqua class which give access to Blu. 1A (my current preferred class BTW) cabins are on the slant and have larger balconies than other balcony classes.

Edited by ghstudio

The difference with all OBC and everything ...tips etc. is 4,376. So, is that worth it to me???

Well, only you can answer that question.

To me, it wouldn't be. I have sailed in everything from an inside to the penthouse. I particularly love those 1A cabins on the S class and have not been particularly impressed with S class suites.

In my view, OBC isn't worth spit these days as it usually comes with a package of all the other perks. About the only thing to spend it on is specialty restaurants. In my view, they're not as special as their prices would indicate. If Celebrity wants to throw them in for free, then I go. Otherwise, I pass. But that's just me. You may have a different take.

The difference with all OBC and everything ...tips etc. is 4,376. So, is that worth it to me???

An SS wouldn't be worth that much more to me. But, this is me! lol You may feel differently. For me, the best part of having a butler is the morning deliver of breakfast/coffee/tea that is set up on the balcony or at the dining table that does not wake me (due to a seperate bedroom). Then as he has left, receiving the phone call, "Ma'am, breakfast has been served on your balcony/at your table"

SIGH - now that is worth it! :D

An SS wouldn't be worth that much more to me. But, this is me! lol You may feel differently. For me, the best part of having a butler is the morning deliver of breakfast/coffee/tea that is set up on the balcony or at the dining table that does not wake me (due to a seperate bedroom). Then as he has left, receiving the phone call, "Ma'am, breakfast has been served on your balcony/at your table"

SIGH - now that is worth it! :D

I am so torn between the two; my DH says to do either, because I have gone through a lot lately....parent, back surgery, illnesses. However, I am also practical too! Call me a basket case!!!

Edited by Lastdance

I am so torn between the two; my DH says to do either, because I have gone through a lot lately....parent, back surgery, illnesses. However, I am also practical too! Call me a basket case!!!

Personally I would go with the 1A. With that difference in price, you could go on another cruise! Luminae is nice, but we were treated quite well in the MDR so no complaints there.