Should have read the small print

I bought a Royal Caribbean drinks package when the 20% discount was on. Paid in what I thought was AUD. Got my credit card statement this arvo and have been charged $803.11 (AUD - that's ok) but then there is also an international transfer fee of $24.09, that has been charged by NAB. Is this the norm? Perhaps there was some tiny print somewhere but I believed I was purchasing a product in Australia as it was through RCI au. :confused::confused::confused:

Unfortunately both RCI and Celebrity process all their charges through the US. I'm not sure whether that appears anywhere during the booking process, or when buying drinks package online.

Most credit card companies now charge a foreign transaction fee when a charge, regardless of whether it is in AUD or USD, is charged through an overseas bank.

If you plan on cruising on RCI/Celebrity again it may pay to get a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fees, such as the 28 Degrees Mastercard.

Yeap unfortunately it is. I have been down this part with Celebrity before. They blame it on the Australian banks. Who say its where the cruiselines are processing the payments i.e in the USA so it triggers an international transaction fee. I was once successful at getting ANZ to wipe it. But it was a once off, gesture of goodwill they called it.

Have done 10 RC cruises, latest in Mar/Apr this year & have never had this with payments made in $A. We have pre-bought drinks, wine packages & many shore excursions all in $A.

That said, I have read recently about others having similar experiences ie the 3% fee on the $A total so seemingly something has changed. So as OzKiwiJJ suggests maybe a different cc is the answer.

I will now check it out for our Legend OTS cruise next month.

The fee charged is % based, so doesn't matter if you pay lots of little ones or one big total - still the same.

This is the Commonwealth Bank's international fees definition:

We charge you an international transaction fee when you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance (whether in a foreign currency or Australian dollars):

• While overseas; or
  • In Australia (for example online) where there is an overseas connection, as the merchant, or the financial institution or entity processing the transaction, is located overseas.

The international transaction fee for these transactions is:

• Transactions converted by MasterCard® or Visa - 3.00%
    Transactions converted by American Express® - 2.00% (plus a currency conversion factor of 1.50% which is included in the converted transaction amount)
  • Transactions in Australian dollars but with an overseas connection - 3.00%

In some cases, overseas merchants may allow you to pay in Australian dollars, e.g. when you’re shopping online or over the phone. This is still considered an international transaction because your transaction is processed overseas.

Note: Even though a merchant has a website address ending in ‘.com.au’ and displays prices in Australian dollars, they may still be located overseas or otherwise choose to process their credit card payments outside of Australia. It’s best to check with the merchant before you pay if you are unsure.

Guess most banks have similar charges that apply in these circumstances. Good of the CommBank to add that note at bottom so that it is plain. Just makes me use my 28 Degrees more.

Edited by GandM-nq

Facts like this really should be clearly disclosed.

RCL do actually include it in the fine print of their terms to cover themselves. As per above, people do call up to complain.

That said, I don't agree with it, but just a way they try to make more out of Australians, by sending their payment processing offshore.

Have done 10 RC cruises, latest in Mar/Apr this year & have never had this with payments made in $A. We have pre-bought drinks, wine packages & many shore excursions all in $A.

That said, I have read recently about others having similar experiences ie the 3% fee on the $A total so seemingly something has changed. So as OzKiwiJJ suggests maybe a different cc is the answer.

You were lucky with your choice of credit card.

My primary credit card back then got hit with international processing fees for this sort of thing over 10 years ago. But others added it on later, and there are still some cards which don't charge it at all.

Thanks for all the information, and like you my 28 degrees card will be doing all the heavy lifting when it comes to travel transactions.

The problem is you don't realise it. Fair enough if you're buying something from overseas, but when it appears to be an Australian business, priced in Australian dollars, it's reasonable to expect the payment would be done here as well.

I will now check it out for our Legend OTS cruise next month.

We have recently booked our 9th RCL cruise, and until our last booking had never encountered this fee. When we got our CC statement it had this fee on it, so we rang our bank and they said it has only recently been introduced by them and all banks will be doing it, but they did say it didn't apply to debit cards, so we will be paying the balance from our debit card. Robin:)

The problem is you don't realise it. Fair enough if you're buying something from overseas, but when it appears to be an Australian business, priced in Australian dollars, it's reasonable to expect the payment would be done here as well.

True, but I prefer to use the one card as it makes it easier to keep track of all the travel expenses separately from our living expenses.:D

Some of these banks are worried their profits will only be in the millions instead of the billions.:(

I agree. $24 won't make or break us but it's another way of squeezing more out of the customer. I will be more careful in future and look into using the credit card recommended on the forum.

I agree. $24 won't make or break us but it's another way of squeezing more out of the customer. I will be more careful in future and look into using the credit card recommended on the forum.
Also consider that the banks change their policies all the time so you need to be aware of any changes. For now we use the 28 degrees credit card for purchases and the Citibank card for cash advances.:D

Had that happen to me once with NAB, rang them and complained and they gave the transaction fee back, just lucky. From then i only us a Citi bank visa debit card, just purchased some tours on up coming cruises with RC and Celebrity and didn't get charged any extra fees.

There is a conversion fee charged by most banks on their credit cards. I seem to recall that there was a new transaction fee was implemented by the banks as a result of the enquiry into credit card charges by airlines, booking agencies etc. Not sure if it was coincidental or not.

Fees like these are part of the expense of cruising or any travel overseas really. Tell me about it, having done about 20 overseas trips cruises/land travel since I retired in 2003. I added up the cost the other day, by crikey I felt 'crook as Rookwood' and I had to to partake of a a Bex and have a lay down.

It is a nasty charge, and I still don't see a reason for it. Anyhow, we use a combination of Citibank Plus debit card, Aust Post load n go Travel card and Qantas Cash card. The last two because we can also lock currency into wallets if we choose, and Citibank because they also have an awesome foreign currency rate if we purchase something in OS dollars. While that has nothing to do with the purchase in AUD, I like a card to be able to do a couple of useful things. :)