Anyone see the upgrade/upsell fairy lately?

CineGraphic

In July to Alaska, we had a guarantee obstructed cabin booking. About 3 weeks out we got the assignment in the category we booked. A couple of days later, we got an upsell. $250 pp for a balcony. We declined. A few days later, another offer - $200 pp for a balcony. We declined. A few days later, I checked on line and we were upgraded to a mini-suite without a balcony. It was the very front cabin on Dolphin deck on the Coral. Right at the observation area at the front of the ship.

Yup. Got a paid upgrade offer around 60 days before sailing (for a Suite). The price ($299 pp) wasn't worth it to move to a Penthouse Suite right below the scraping lounge chairs on the Lido Deck. (Why oh why do they put the mid-ship Suites right below the Lido Deck?) Nevertheless, they sold out within 4 days.

Got an upsell offer a week or so ago for my Island Princess cruise in November from an oceanview to a balcony. $249/pp but as a single, that would be $498. Not worth it to me. That's almost the cost of booking the Sanctuary for the whole cruise (19 days.) I'd rather be in the Sanctuary.

Edited by Pam in CA

Our plans were to be cruising later this month. It was to be an 18 day journey. Received an offer we could not refuse. For cancelling we received two free cruises anywhere Princess travels. The first is up to 35 days the second a 7 day. Included a full cabin upgrade of cabin. Our original cabin was a basic balcony which had been upgraded to a mini shortly after booking back in 2015. So the 28 day cruise planned for 2017 will be in one of the Penthouses. Also received $200 each passenger for each cruise as OBC's. Air was locked in at what we originally paid. Which was more then 1/2 of what it will cost for the new cruise. All that we did pay is returned in OBC's and what is not used for the first cruise is returned to us after completing the cruise. We have cruised often and did not believe it till all was in writing. It truly feels like we hit the Princess Lottery. Our travel agent also is amazed. Thank You Princess!!

Booked an IF gty as a solo. Price drop- so I stayed in the IF and saved $500. I was then assigned a free upgrade to a midship balcony (BB). Another price drop- I could go back to an IF gty and save another $300. Or just stay in the balcony- for less about 1/2 the cost of the cabin.

Sticking with the balcony. :)

Our plans were to be cruising later this month. It was to be an 18 day journey. Received an offer we could not refuse. For cancelling we received two free cruises anywhere Princess travels. The first is up to 35 days the second a 7 day. Included a full cabin upgrade of cabin. Our original cabin was a basic balcony which had been upgraded to a mini shortly after booking back in 2015. So the 28 day cruise planned for 2017 will be in one of the Penthouses. Also received $200 each passenger for each cruise as OBC's. Air was locked in at what we originally paid. Which was more then 1/2 of what it will cost for the new cruise. All that we did pay is returned in OBC's and what is not used for the first cruise is returned to us after completing the cruise. We have cruised often and did not believe it till all was in writing. It truly feels like we hit the Princess Lottery. Our travel agent also is amazed. Thank You Princess!!

I received a very similar move over offer- It was the best deal ever. Two cruises in full suites and the original cruise price in fully refundable OBC. We took the deal!

We booked a gty bal on Regal Jan 8,17 last week got assigned to Deluxe Balcony on Marina deck - called Princess and inquired about mini - 249/ pp so passed but rep put us down for upgrade if available. We will see what happens still 83 days out.

Can't remember the exact cost and am too lazy to look for the old paperwork but earlier this year we were offered an upsell from an IF category to a mini without a balcony. Same size as a mini with balcony but the balcony square footage was part of the cabin and we had a window. We took it and loved it.

2 weeks ago i was upgraded from lowest category balcony(which was cheaper than the ocean view!) to highest. i sail in 3 weeks.

this summer i received a move over offer--my 12 day cruise in exchange for a free 14 day cruise anywhere, anytime, all my money back as refundable obc, air cost locked in (refunded if cheaper than what i paid), cabin class upgrade and dinner in a specialty restaurant. its a tough choice to make when you're ready to sail now!

2 weeks ago i was upgraded from lowest category balcony(which was cheaper than the ocean view!) to highest. i sail in 3 weeks.

this summer i received a move over offer--my 12 day cruise in exchange for a free 14 day cruise anywhere, anytime, all my money back as refundable obc, air cost locked in (refunded if cheaper than what i paid), cabin class upgrade and dinner in a specialty restaurant. its a tough choice to make when you're ready to sail now!

It would be wrenching to delay and take a different cruise but, for the cost, I would take a move over offer for our 28 day cruise next October --- IF they would also include the AIBP perk that we now have. :)

Edited by Thrak

It would be wrenching to delay and take a different cruise but, for the cost, I would take a move over offer for our 28 day cruise next October --- IF they would also include the AIBP perk that we now have. :)

ah, but if you get the offer 3 days before sailing would you still take it?

your wording is spot-on: "it would be wrenching to delay". yet i did it! and booked a better cruise to the same places but 11 months later! i'm not sure i've ever booked that far in advance! i traded the regal 12 night baltic round trip copenhagen for the pacific princess 14 day round trip dover. i for sure need one or two cruises to fill the gap.

Last week, I received an upsell on the Nov. 19 Caribbean Princess sailing (8 nights). The offer was from an obstructed oceanview (OZ) to a balcony (B1-BF) for $129/p or to a window suite for $259/p. I took the window suite as I'm not sure that we will ever have that opportunity again.

We had an upsell for our 11/27 Regal sailing from a mini suite to a suite and took it. 2nd time we have had one. It came out more than 60 days prior.

Surprising that they kept offering the Penthouse suites with the "they will be assigned prior to sailing".

Booked the Regal Christmas(11 nights) cruise obstructed balcony at an incredible price(less than inside). We were assigned a deluxe balcony(aft). I am thrilled to have the couch, and close to launderette, Horizon and Outrigger Bar. We are on the Marina deck, but, I have no concerns. I will bring ear plus just in case.

How does Princess contact you about an upsell/upgrade? By phone or email?

Our offer of a move over. Which was trading our 18 day cruise for 2 free, one up to 35 day and another for 7 day cruise came by e-mail about 3 weeks prior to departure date. We have a year to book the cruises but they can extend into whatever is open for booking. Will do one cruise in 2017 and the next in 2018. The one we have booked amounts to $30,000 plus, and the one we gave up was just about $9,000. Our original costs are refunded in on board credits. What we do not use during the 28 days will be refunded. We are so excited and grateful for the opportunity to do this.