Is he in trouble? Crew members please respond!

Hello everyone. I recently was on my first Royal Caribbean cruise, a very small ship, approx 2,000 passengers, and it was a nightmare. Rerouted and docked at nowhere due to Hurricane Matthew & Nicole. 1/2 passengers left. I stayed. Nothing to do but hang out and make the most of it. Struck up conversations with the same bartender. He gave me his email and the last night, met me on the pool deck and talked for about 15 mins. He never sat down saying Big Brother was watching. He was off the clock but in uniform because he had just finished his shift. No one else was out there at 1am until OF COURSE, his supervisor walked by. At that point, he said I better go, gave me a hug and left. By the time I got back to my cabin, I had an email from him with a few pics of him from previous ports. Before leaving the next morning I dropped a gratuity envelope with money in it for him in the guest services box and I emailed him back a few days later. No response. He told me he isn't too tech savvy though. And his wifi rate is 36cents day / 12cents midnight. I don't know how often he signs on. Yet remember, that night before I got back to my room, he already sent me email with smilies and pics of him at ports.

So my questions are this:

1) OMG DID HE GET FIRED OR REPRIMANDED JUST FOR A QUICK TALK? it was innocent talking just was going to have a pen pal.

2) Do the cruise lines monitor gmail email addresses? Can they read the crew's emails?? That would be an oops......because there is coy flirting in them

Or...

3) Today has been just a week since I left the ship. I know he works 70+ hrs, maybe it seems longer to me than it is? Land time vs sea time?

I just feel HORRIBLE not knowing if this poor guy got in trouble. He's on his first contract that began only a month ago. I'm sick over this, he is such a nice guy.

Thanks in advance!

Please do not feel bad. I do not think they get fired for talking to passengers....in that case half the upper crust crew would be fired for having dinner with (a) passenger/passengers.

Some crew members do not get free internet so he may not be getting on line? He works 70 + hours and is just very very busy? Perhaps he went home on vacation? My best advice to you is just move on with your life ( and I mean it with compassion), if your friendship was meant to be, it was meant to be. If not, don't worry.

On a lighter note, why not take another cruise on that ship to check it out yourself and put your mind to rest? ;) just kidding, but thought it would make you smile!

Edited by Arzeena

Just FYI it isn't possible for anyone to snoop on a secure website like GMAIL.

I wouldn't sweat it if you don't hear from them again. Could be any number of reasons.

You are absolutely 100% correct on this.

There is no way, no how, anybody can hack a secure email like GMAIL.

So let's put these unfounded rumours to rest once and for all.

Sincerely,

V. Putin

bcc J. Assange @ ecqatorembassy.com

Please do not feel bad. I do not think they get fired for talking to passengers....in that case half the upper crust crew would be fired for having dinner with (a) passenger/passengers.

Some crew members do not get free internet so he may not be getting on line? He works 70 + hours and is just very very busy? Perhaps he went home on vacation? My best advice to you is just move on with your life ( and I mean it with compassion), if your friendship was meant to be, it was meant to be. If not, don't worry.

On a lighter note, why not take another cruise on that ship to check it out yourself and put your mind to rest? ;) just kidding, but thought it would make you smile!

Officers and crew have completely different rules so your example of the "upper crust crew" (weird terminology) doesn't fly. Officers and some other staff have access to public spaces even when off duty. As far as I know, no crew gets free internet.

Edited by BND

They are NOT to frat with the guests. He went over the line with you.

A. Yes he's on probation with more work hours and may have had his internet suspended.

B. He may have been relieved of his duties.

C. He was just playing you, but at a cost to himself.

What ship was this? This relationship is going nowhere.

None of that is possibly true....I watched plenty of "Love Boat" programs and none of those characters EVER got in trouble....Captain Stuebing was very understanding....no worries......:cool:

Officers and crew have completely different rules so your example of the "upper crust crew" (weird terminology) doesn't fly. Officers and some other staff have access to public spaces even when off duty. As far as I know, no crew gets free internet.

Thanks for clearing the different rules part out.

Never heard of "upper crust"? Now that's weird!:D;):D

None of that is possibly true....I watched plenty of "Love Boat" programs and none of those characters EVER got in trouble....Captain Stuebing was very understanding....no worries......:cool:

HA HA..........Do you watch Below Deck? After one warning, Captain Lee would have his a$$ off the boat! :eek:

Thanks for clearing the different rules part out.

Never heard of "upper crust"? Now that's weird!:D;):D

Never heard of "upper crust crew". Seriously? You know what I meant. And referring to them that way is very elitist.

Edited by BND

You are absolutely 100% correct on this.

There is no way, no how, anybody can hack a secure email like GMAIL.

So let's put these unfounded rumours to rest once and for all.

Sincerely,

V. Putin

bcc J. Assange @ ecqatorembassy.com

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on Jewel a few years ago and one of the lead male entertainers was sent home (mid cruise) for spending time in a guest jacuzzi with a passenger who was a family friend from home! (i.e. This guy was one of the "two male, two female" combo that do the singing when they have Royal Caribbean production shows). One of the dancers had to fill in and lip sync in the remaining two production shows of the cruise. We were very shocked that they would

be quite as strict as this, but it was apparently quite early in this performer's contract (I think it was his second cruise) so maybe that makes a difference. Also of course v different to the OP's situation in that there's a big difference between just chatting to a guest on the pool deck and sitting in the jacuzzi with one.

Interestingly, on ships like Oasis and Allure that have "Broadway" shows, the star performers in those are on the "guest manifest" which means they are not restricted in this way - we got friendly with two of the leads from "Hairspray" on Oasis a few years ago, we ate with them in Chops once or twice, and they took us backstage (I think that part they weren't really meant to do!). And the following year on Allure my son befriended some of the Chicago people, and hung out with them late nights at the gym. I guess the Broadway show stars are deemed to be less expendable than the Royal Caribbean singers!

OP I'm sure you bartender will be fine and is just busy - all he was doing is talking to a passenger, in the end.

Actually a lot of businesses do this for security reasons. They're doing deep packet inspection and decrypt the traffic then re-encrypt it.

On a personal device you'd know since you'll get a certificate error, and it's what you'd see in a 'man in the middle' attack. (It's the error you had previously mentioned.) In a business we can just push out the appliance certificate to each device as a trusted certificate and the users see no error but the connection is *not* encrypted end to end.

That is true. But if he is using his own device then he would not have the company's certificate of course.

I wouldn't sweat it if you don't hear from them again. Could be any number of reasons.

Presumably, the network is owned and operated by the cruise line. That means the network techs can read any of the traffic on the network unless it is encrypted.

We were on Jewel a few years ago and one of the lead male entertainers was sent home (mid cruise) for spending time in a guest jacuzzi with a passenger who was a family friend from home! (i.e. This guy was one of the "two male, two female" combo that do the singing when they have Royal Caribbean production shows). One of the dancers had to fill in and lip sync in the remaining two production shows of the cruise. We were very shocked that they would

be quite as strict as this, but it was apparently quite early in this performer's contract (I think it was his second cruise) so maybe that makes a difference. Also of course v different to the OP's situation in that there's a big difference between just chatting to a guest on the pool deck and sitting in the jacuzzi with one.

Interestingly, on ships like Oasis and Allure that have "Broadway" shows, the star performers in those are on the "guest manifest" which means they are not restricted in this way - we got friendly with two of the leads from "Hairspray" on Oasis a few years ago, we ate with them in Chops once or twice, and they took us backstage (I think that part they weren't really meant to do!). And the following year on Allure my son befriended some of the Chicago people, and hung out with them late nights at the gym. I guess the Broadway show stars are deemed to be less expendable than the Royal Caribbean singers!

OP I'm sure you bartender will be fine and is just busy - all he was doing is talking to a passenger, in the end.

Actually, giving backstage tours is not a problem. We've done a couple as part of out D+ perks and you can pay to see the backstage area as part of a ship's all access tour. Backstage is not really a restricted area. As for the entertainer who was sent home, he probably had done something else previously or had been warned and ignored the warning as entertainers do have a lot more freedom than other crew. My godson's wife (fiance at the time) worked on RCI as a dancer for one contract/tour. He visited her a couple of times and got to see a lot of the crew areas and backstage. He also posted pictures of them from all over the ship. The entertainers have completely different rules than officers/crew.

I can't believe how addicted I am to that show.:o

Me too. My favorite show, although not sure I am that crazy about this season's cast.

What I wouldn't give to rent a week on that yacht. When I win the lottery, I am so doing it.

Apologies for getting OT.

Edited by CruisingChick

Whatever Hillary :rolleyes:

And OP, I hate to break it to you, but there's a new shipload of vulnerable young ladies every week. He's moved on. So should you. :cool:

Crew are limited in their access to guest areas during their off times, by rank. Typically, bar staff, wait staff, and housekeeping are not allowed to be in guest areas when not working. NCL has had for years a strong non-fraternization policy with guests, so it would simply be up to the supervisor to determine whether discipline was warranted. The Surveillance Department, that runs all the cameras around the ship, report to corporate outside the chain of command to the Captain, and they are empowered to hand out discipline for acts that they witness on video. Since you weren't in your cabin, I doubt he'd get fired, but if the hug was witnessed, it didn't help his cause.

I know of one Hotel Director who was fired for spending too much time in a guest's cabin, even though it was an old family friend.

And while they don't do it often, as others have pointed out, any communication done on a ship's computer is available for review by the employer. If the e-mails were sent using a personal laptop over wifi, I don't think the ship's servers save this data.

I've seen crew smoking in passenger areas before. Actually, I saw a total of three crew smoking just outside the Crows nest but never saw passengers. Don't remember any ash trays. Doesn't the crew have their own smoking areas?

I've seen crew smoking in passenger areas before. Actually, I saw a total of three crew smoking just outside the Crows nest but never saw passengers. Don't remember any ash trays. Doesn't the crew have their own smoking areas?

Yes, they do, and they should have been using them. In fact, the crew areas are mostly smoking allowed.

.......but what were they smoking? These "crew members" weren't from Colorado were they?:eek:

Yet remember, that night before I got back to my room, he already sent me email with smilies and pics of him at ports.

I just feel HORRIBLE not knowing if this poor guy got in trouble. He's on his first contract that began only a month ago. I'm sick over this, he is such a nice guy.

Thanks in advance!

You poor thing. :rolleyes:

1) 2,000 pax is NOT a "very small" ship. Lol that's a moderate sized ship.

2) Crew aren't allowed to socialize with pax, so I'm sure he received a consequence of some kind.

3) Thank goodness you didn't get raped! Being alone with a crew member in the middle of the night on a ship has ended in rape and/or murder for multiple ladies over the years.

4) You gave him money, so I doubt you'll hear from him again. He's on to new pax now, probably.