Can I change a booked cruise to a diffrent one if needed?

Call again. AFAIK the non-refundable deposits allow switching ships or sailings at a cost of $100 per person. The rest of the deposit is transferable.

We just booked out next cruise on board. We like suites, and all are now non-refundable. But the terms state all but $100 per person can be transferred to another RCCL ship or sailing.

He has 15 people booked, therefore a $1500 change fee.

Some hotel rates do not allow change or cancellation without penalty.

Or have extended dates for cancellation. I have a couple of rooms booked in Honolulu for Xmas/New Years. Major chain. Free cancellation date is in November.

SRF: I understand but in this case we are talking Aug 2017 for a trip in March 2019. Seem fair to you?

SRF: I understand but in this case we are talking Aug 2017 for a trip in March 2019. Seem fair to you?

It's fair because you probably received a discounted price for choosing the non-refundable deposit. So far, I have not chosen this option and so I am paying more than others who have.

That being said, I would call and ask to speak to someone in resolutions rather than a regular rep. Since you would be paying a good deal more for the new cruise, they might make a one time exception. But they have to balance making the exception with the fact that others might book nonrefundables and hope they are able to do the same thing.

I don't like this policy and it will keep me from booking more; maybe it will affect them if more people do the same.

Another idea: if Royal still says, 'no', call and TA and have them price out the new cruise for you and any obc they may be willing to offer. Maybe the TA perks will even out the rebooking penalty. You have 60 days from booking to transfer to a TA and I am not sure how they would handle the NRD/rebooking aspect so talk it over before you do it.

Why is it "fair" to charge a couple $200 ($100 per person) and not fair to charge 15 people $1500 ($100 per person)?????

Are you paying for everyone? Otherwise, each person is paying $100 for the change.

Also, the refundable fares have been reported around $300 more than the non-refundable ones. So even if you change, you are $200 per person ahead.

I won't switch. I'll keep the current booking and reevaluate who I cruise with next time. Wonder if upper management understands the potential $$$ they are losing since the change would have been a $2000 gain for RC. Thanks to everyone for the help!!

I am trying to understand your posts. YOU booked the nonrefundable deposit. Now you are upset that your deposit is nonrefundable? Do I have that right?

I am trying to understand your posts. YOU booked the nonrefundable deposit. Now you are upset that your deposit is nonrefundable? Do I have that right?

I'm also really confused. Why do people keep booking non-refundable fares and then getting mad when they want to make a change and are being charged the change fee that they agreed to and signed up for?

All of these people keep making justifications for why they think their "change" isn't really a big enough deal to warrant a charge, and then claiming outrage at Royal Caribbean for having the nerve to charge the fee that they, the customer, signed up for in order to save a couple hundred bucks off the price of their cruise. I just don't get it.

Why do these people keep booking non-refundable when they have an option to book a refundable fare????

What is so hard to understand about "You will be charged $100pp if you want to change this cruise?" It doesn't matter if the change is to a more expensive cruise, or you have 15 people in your group instead of 2, you still have to pay it, that's what you signed up for. So ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes because it's non refundable. If you wanted the option of it being refundable or with the ability to make changes then book accordingly. We always book suites so we don't even have the choice to book refundable anymore. Even if you booked a non refundable hotel that far out or a non refundable flight you are out of luck.

The reason most vacation bookings require a deposit is to have some idea of how many people will be there. I was always surprised that RCI would return the deposit if changed or cancelled. Most vacation places will not so now they are inline with accepted practices.

This is not correct. Dh and I do land based vacations at least twice a year and we never have non refundable deposits staying at numerous different resorts. Some will have non refundable 30 days prior, or 14 or 3 but usually the only ones which might be non refundable generally are those that are part of a package deal .

I'm also really confused. Why do people keep booking non-refundable fares and then getting mad when they want to make a change and are being charged the change fee that they agreed to and signed up for?

All of these people keep making justifications for why they think their "change" isn't really a big enough deal to warrant a charge, and then claiming outrage at Royal Caribbean for having the nerve to charge the fee that they, the customer, signed up for in order to save a couple hundred bucks off the price of their cruise. I just don't get it.

Why do these people keep booking non-refundable when they have an option to book a refundable fare????

What is so hard to understand about "You will be charged $100pp if you want to change this cruise?" It doesn't matter if the change is to a more expensive cruise, or you have 15 people in your group instead of 2, you still have to pay it, that's what you signed up for. So ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not all categories have the option...suites do not !

Yes because it's non refundable. If you wanted the option of it being refundable or with the ability to make changes then book accordingly. We always book suites so we don't even have the choice to book refundable anymore. Even if you booked a non refundable hotel that far out or a non refundable flight you are out of luck.

Not many hotels are non refundable, and those that do offer non refundable rates, always have the option regardless of category one is booking. Furthermore, most of the better hotels will work with the guest to reschedule even when one is within a cancellation period. Two years ago we were booked at a Hyatt resort in Hawaii and were only 5 days out and within their cancellation period. (our other hotels were refundable).Something came up that prevented us from travelling at that time . All it took was one phone call to reschedule. Same thing with 2 airlines that particular trip who waived cancellation penalties. (on the 3rd we were booked full fare business so no fees). Granted this was a serious medical situation, and both airlines asked for confirmation of the issue but at least they asked

Contra that with RCCL where I tried to change ships for the same dates in November of 2018 15 months in advance. No interest in why we wanted to change whatsoever ! But then again this is the same cruise line that asked people sailing out of Galveston to show proof of flooding before they would let them change too:rolleyes: so I shouldn't be surprised.

Not many hotels are non refundable, and those that do offer non refundable rates, always have the option regardless of category one is booking. Furthermore, most of the better hotels will work with the guest to reschedule even when one is within a cancellation period. Two years ago we were booked at a Hyatt resort in Hawaii and were only 5 days out and within their cancellation period. (our other hotels were refundable).Something came up that prevented us from travelling at that time . All it took was one phone call to reschedule. Same thing with 2 airlines that particular trip who waived cancellation penalties. (on the 3rd we were booked full fare business so no fees). Granted this was a serious medical situation, and both airlines asked for confirmation of the issue but at least they asked

Contra that with RCCL where I tried to change ships for the same dates in November of 2018 15 months in advance. No interest in why we wanted to change whatsoever ! But then again this is the same cruise line that asked people sailing out of Galveston to show proof of flooding before they would let them change too:rolleyes: so I shouldn't be surprised.

Hotels also overbook about 10%, but sometimes more, which is party if the reason you can't get a room number until you check in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Hotels also overbook about 10%, but sometimes more, which is party if the reason you can't get a room number until you check in.

The other (main) part of not having a room number until you check in is because in a hotel, unlike a cruise, people are not all coming in the same day and leaving the same day. Assigning the room at check-in (or possibly the day before as some apps will now allow you to select one - though even that's not a given and subject to change) allows them the most flexibility and ability to sell room nights. Hotel room assigning is like playing a real-life game of tetris. I know - I've done it before.

Why is it "fair" to charge a couple $200 ($100 per person) and not fair to charge 15 people $1500 ($100 per person)?????

Are you paying for everyone? Otherwise, each person is paying $100 for the change.

Also, the refundable fares have been reported around $300 more than the non-refundable ones. So even if you change, you are $200 per person ahead.

I am paying for everyone & I don't think it's fair in either case...be it 2 or 20. I'm the consumer and I should have the right to change my cruise up until the final payment period. Don't penalize me because I try to save a little on a $8000 cruise.

I am paying for everyone & I don't think it's fair in either case...be it 2 or 20. I'm the consumer and I should have the right to change my cruise up until the final payment period. Don't penalize me because I try to save a little on a $8000 cruise.

You are penalized because YOU booked the fare that carries penalties.

Unless everyone is in a suite, YOU had the option of booking with refundable deposits.

You chose not to.

You want to make changes. The refundable deposit path would have let you do that without penalty. YOU did not choose that path.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

Unless everyone is in a suite, YOU had the option of booking with refundable deposits.

You chose not to.

You want to make changes. The refundable deposit path would have let you do that without penalty. YOU did not choose that path.

Also if it is a suite, you probably saved way more than $100pp by choosing the non refundable, so you are still ahead.

You chose not to.

This is not so hard to understand. The problem is the non refundable was not explained during booking. As you see I do not have 50000 cruises under my belt. The last one I took in 2012 when again I took the whole family. Why on occasion do I feel like I'm talking to RC customer service. I'm done. You & this site are a joke.

This is not so hard to understand. The problem is the non refundable was not explained during booking. As you see I do not have 50000 cruises under my belt. The last one I took in 2012 when again I took the whole family. Why on occasion do I feel like I'm talking to RC customer service. I'm done. You & this site are a joke.

How did you book your cruise? On the website? The words "refundable" and "non-refundable" are there during the booking process, with explanations. Through a TA? That agent had the responsibility to explain the difference to you.

I am sorry that you are frustrated, but you are taking it out in the wrong direction. Look in a mirror.

It's not the person you referred to or the site. You booked non refundable fare. That includes a penalty for ship and date changes. What don't you get?

How did you book your cruise? On the website? The words "refundable" and "non-refundable" are there during the booking process, with explanations. Through a TA? That agent had the responsibility to explain the difference to you.

I am sorry that you are frustrated, but you are taking it out in the wrong direction. Look in a mirror.

The terminology being used does present a bit of a problem . I booked a "non refundable" fare for a suite. I did so over the phone with a RccL agent. I was told that if we cancelled we would lose $100 each and the rest would be a credit good for a year. That was it, that was all. Only when we wanted to change our ship was I told that we couldn't change ships either. Is it my fault for not going to the website and pulling up the terms and conditions before booking, yes I should have. I actually did after we were told we couldn't change ships because I couldn't believe what the rep was telling me and how inane it was that RCCL was willing to lose a $10000+ booking over $200 and it was definitely there. So yes I should have read the entire contract as im sure everyone does.:rolleyes:

What those of you who do not understand regarding the op's issue is that there are not many companies in the travel industry(non cruise) that do not allow changes to booked reservations.

Even many of the packaged tour companies that wont allow refunds will allow date changes without charge(and they are usually the toughest). A non experienced cruiser would not expect that.