Can I change a booked cruise to a diffrent one if needed?

We may need to switch ships will RCCL allow that?

Thanks

It appears from your other post ( and also since I just saw your date in the post above) that since this is before final payment, yes you can. If you used a TA you might pay admin fees depends on the agency but when I changed weeks I did not have to pay any additional fees using a TA.

Edited by SnorkelBoy

It appears from your other post ( and also since I just saw your date in the post above) that since this is before final payment, yes you can. If you used a TA you might pay admin fees depends on the agency but when I changed weeks I did not have to pay any additional fees using a TA.

I am my own TA literally. So no fees. But wasn't sure is Royal allowed this or not. Thank you!

• 10 months later...
Actually based on the current state of deposits, if your deposit is a non refundable one, you would have to pay a penalty of $100 per person to change the cruise.

I change cabins or sailings if better rates are offered. This is reason I'll continue to purchase refundable deposit, at least til it ends...

Actually based on the current state of deposits, if your deposit is a non refundable one, you would have to pay a penalty of $100 per person to change the cruise.

Ditto this!! It is no longer simple yes if before final payment. Now it depends on how you booked, refundable or non refundable

We may need to switch ships will RCCL allow that?

Thanks

It is no longer simple yes if before final payment. Now it depends on how you booked, refundable or non refundable

Actually it´s still very simple, RCI will always allow a switch, doesn´t matter if refundable, non-refundable, before or after final payment.

It is only about how much the switch will cost you.;p

Last week I booked a cruise to the Bahamas for my family for March 2019. I found a cruise to Havana the same month and the cost would be greater than the one I booked. Contacting RC yesterday I was told if I changed my booking I would forfeit my $1500 deposit. Terrible business practice but from what I'm learning this will be a new practice for the cruise lines if a non refundable deposit is put down. My final payment is not due until Dec 2018. I would welcome any input on what to do on this. A $1500 penalty for simply switching seems excessive. I can see if I'm cancelling the entire trip but the switch would be more beneficial to the cruise line. Thank you

Last week I booked a cruise to the Bahamas for my family for March 2019. I found a cruise to Havana the same month and the cost would be greater than the one I booked. Contacting RC yesterday I was told if I changed my booking I would forfeit my $1500 deposit. Terrible business practice but from what I'm learning this will be a new practice for the cruise lines if a non refundable deposit is put down. My final payment is not due until Dec 2018. I would welcome any input on what to do on this. A $1500 penalty for simply switching seems excessive. I can see if I'm cancelling the entire trip but the switch would be more beneficial to the cruise line. Thank you

You will not lose the entire $1500.

You will be charged a $100pp change fee and the balance will go towards your next cruise as long as you book one within a year.

What country did you book this cruise through?

Even if you are charged a fee to switch, it's only going to be $100 per person, you are not going to lose $1500 for switching.

Jimbo:)

You will not lose the entire $1500.

You will be charged a $100pp change fee and the balance will go towards your next cruise as long as you book one within a year.

Ken: Thank you for the response. The booking is for 15 of us so I would lose the $1500, according to RC. Appreciate the help. Rick

What country did you book this cruise through?

Even if you are charged a fee to switch, it's only going to be $100 per person, you are not going to lose $1500 for switching.

Jimbo:)

Thanks for the response Jimbo. 15 of us in the family = $1500. I guess if it had been explained to me better I would have selected the refundable. As hard as we work to pay for the cruises I would think the "big guys" would work with us more but then again if I switch they pocket $1500 for doing nothing. Thanks

The reason most vacation bookings require a deposit is to have some idea of how many people will be there. I was always surprised that RCI would return the deposit if changed or cancelled. Most vacation places will not so now they are inline with accepted practices.

OUCHIE!!! Hope you do not have to change

I won't switch. I'll keep the current booking and reevaluate who I cruise with next time. Wonder if upper management understands the potential $$$ they are losing since the change would have been a $2000 gain for RC. Thanks to everyone for the help!!

Thanks for the response Jimbo. 15 of us in the family = $1500. I guess if it had been explained to me better I would have selected the refundable. As hard as we work to pay for the cruises I would think the "big guys" would work with us more but then again if I switch they pocket $1500 for doing nothing. Thanks

I think your's is unique circumstance with so many of you. I would contact the Resolutions department and speak with a manager...I would bet $$ they will solve your issue...they need to work with people considering the extremely bad press they received in Galveston during Hurricane Harvey. Try it!

The reason most vacation bookings require a deposit is to have some idea of how many people will be there. I was always surprised that RCI would return the deposit if changed or cancelled. Most vacation places will not so now they are inline with accepted practices.

I understand where you are coming from on this but if I book a hotel and change prior to the 48 or 72 hour window I'm not hit with a penalty. We also are not talking about next month but March 2019. Thanks

I think your's is unique circumstance with so many of you. I would contact the Resolutions department and speak with a manager...I would bet $$ they will solve your issue...they need to work with people considering the extremely bad press they received in Galveston during Hurricane Harvey. Try it!

Thank you. I will

Call again. AFAIK the non-refundable deposits allow switching ships or sailings at a cost of $100 per person. The rest of the deposit is transferable.

We just booked out next cruise on board. We like suites, and all are now non-refundable. But the terms state all but $100 per person can be transferred to another RCCL ship or sailing.

I understand where you are coming from on this but if I book a hotel and change prior to the 48 or 72 hour window I'm not hit with a penalty. We also are not talking about next month but March 2019. Thanks

Some hotel rates do not allow change or cancellation without penalty.

Or have extended dates for cancellation. I have a couple of rooms booked in Honolulu for Xmas/New Years. Major chain. Free cancellation date is in November.