Mr and Mrs Doorschlammer

excitedofharpenden

On the other hand, are you one of "those" who thoughtlessly leave their balcony door open (or cracked) to foul up the A/C for everyone in your section of the ship? Not only do open balcony door contribute to door slamming...but it also screws up the "closed HVAC systems" on ships.

Hank

I had no idea. Is that why the AC was poor? Others leaving the balcony doors open. I don't think most people know that.

I had no idea. Is that why the AC was poor? Others leaving the balcony doors open. I don't think most people know that.

All of the ships I have been on have a notice to that effect on the verandah doors themselves. It's hard to miss.

My wife and I try really hard to be respectful of those around us. Occasionally the door gets away from me and she gives me an earful. :D

I agree with the previous poster about people who shout down the hall. To me that is just as inconsiderate as the door slamming.

Some people are more polite and considerate than others. I've noticed this varies from cruise line to cruise line and even from ship to ship within the same cruise line.

We see you are from Ireland (fantastic country) where A/C is rare..so we will explain. A/C on ships is a closed ventilation system which uses a system of output vents and intake vents to recirculate the treated air. On ships, the system is set up in large zones which would consist of many cabins plus the corridors. When even one cabin opens their balcony it brings outside air (often quite humid and not the same temperature) into the system. So a cabin next door or several doors away might find that they cannot properly cool down their cabins....because somebody up the hall has their balcony door open. Its akin to trying to heat or cool a home with the doors and windows open. Open the doors and windows downstairs....and it will impact the air upstairs (not to mention your heating/cooling bill). Another way to put this in perspective is that if somebody slams their door it is annoying...but only takes a moment. But if somebody leaves their balcony door open (even a little) it can impact lots of folks comfort for hours or even days (as long as that balcony is open).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Lol just off a cruise and thought the same thing. Why can't you just hold the door and close it quietly. I guess these are the cousins of Mr and Mrs Balconylightleaveron all night

No, my cousins are not into cruising :D

Seriously though, on our last cruise (MSC), the 2nd bed was positioned near the balcony. There was no way to leave some light on for our son (he's not used to sleeping in complete darkness) but not so much as to disturb us in our sleep. So we left the balcony light on during the night and the curtain opened just slightly.

I was not aware that this would inconvenience other people. Next cruise, we will bring a night light for our son. ;)

Anyway, I don't really care if it bothered the people next to us (hull balcony so only 1 neighbour could have been bothered).

As from night 1, they entered their cabin at 1 am, slamming doors, yelling at eachother. Every night.

I don't think I need to explain the joy of having your toddler son woken up by this...every single night of the cruise...

We didn't address it, but we also didn't let this ruin our cruise.

Why can't cruise ships use (or invent??) doors that close without slamming?...like kitchen drawers do...they freely close until just about fully closed and then are "eased" into the final full closed position.

Good idea for the new ship design. I like your positive attitude!

Currently on Reflection. What is it with those that slam their cabin door? Standard cabins are built as a tandem so if the person next to you slams their door they may as well be slamming yours. Nice if you are having an afternoon siesta or an early night. No need for an alarm call. Don't they get it? Totally inconsiderate and it's not rocket science. Close it quietly for gawds sake. I picked my cabin on RF to have less of an issue (no tandem door arrangement because I'm at the very end of the hall), but those that continue to slam their door as I walk down the corridor? Stoopid! Rant over:)

People don't care.

They may have the balcony door open, which causes a big air pressure difference. It's happened to me several times.

There was a fellow on my last cruise with his balcony door open and answered the door for room service. The door slammed taking off his finger. On top of this he almost got removed from the ship due to medical issue.

True story, walked around the rest of the cruise with a large contraption on his hand highlighting his middle finger.

We just got off the Solstice, and did not see any notice about the AC and the impact of opening the verandah doors.

We are wondering if you live in an area where you have A/C and possibly heat in your home. We suggest you simply leave your doors and windows open when you are using A/c and or heat...and let us know what this does to both your internal home climate and your energy bills.

Hank

P.S. One sometimes wonders what happened to common sense.

We are wondering if you live in an area where you have A/C and possibly heat in your home. We suggest you simply leave your doors and windows open when you are using A/c and or heat...and let us know what this does to both your internal home climate and your energy bills.

Hank

P.S. One sometimes wonders what happened to common sense.

Just to clarify, I am aware that leaving open the window/door on hot days causes the AC to work harder, and leads to higher energy bills. I was simply responding to the earlier statement that all cruise lines have a sign to this effect on the balcony door. Celebrity had no such sign on our door on the Solstice. Many hotels I have been to have such a sign, and many also have a switch that turns off the AC if you open the door to the balcony.

People please, stop!! You're scaring me. We're sailing Celebrity for the first time next Feb. After many years of sailing we've never run into Mr & Mrs Doorschlammer. Are they only loyal to Celebrity? Yikes

People please, stop!! You're scaring me. We're sailing Celebrity for the first time next Feb. After many years of sailing we've never run into Mr & Mrs Doorschlammer. Are they only loyal to Celebrity? Yikes

Don't worry dear ceba... it's no worse than hotels and other places idiots frequent.

We seem to have them next to us every time we sail.:eek:

I also get it in the ear from the wife if i don't close the door quietly.:(

The situation is made a lot worse if the cabin next door also has friends and family opposite in inside cabins ( especially kids)

I assume most door slammers are total oblivious to what is happening

maybe they are deaf, :D

I bet the door slammers are also smoking on their balcony and hogging chairs in the buffet and have their towls down on the sun beds at 5AM:D