Mr and Mrs Doorschlammer

excitedofharpenden

Hi Phil

Apart from the door issue, are you enjoying Celebrity?!!

Colleen

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hey Colleen. Having a really good time with friends, but I think my mind is of Celebrity much as yours is about Azamara. Thank goodness for choices, eh? Hope you and George are doing well.

Yes, I'll ask them for a particularly large Stoli Elit;)

Fun comments apart, sorry your cruise isn't going totally to plan. Disturbed sleep is a real problem, especially if it is night after night...

Strongly suggest a double dose of 'medicine'.

Sincerely hope it doesn't put a damper on your cruise as a whole.

Spoken from those who have never encountered a persistent and inconsiderate door slammer at all hours of the day and night. If you had, you would never have made those comments.

You are right, and perhaps my comments were too hasty (and made at a time when I was just tired of hearing and reading about complaints). I'm sure door slamming would be very annoying if it disturbed my sleep (even my mid-day nap!). Really, I wouldn't hesitate if it happened routinely to put a note on the door, call desk services to ask the occupants to be more careful, or ask them myself. It would never occur to me to take even a moment to write a complaint here.

I do think anyone has the right and privilege to keep late hours and sleep in as late as they wish though.

Knowing how tolerant and laid back Phil is, then the noise from The Doorschlammer's must be very intrusive indeed. Some people have no consideration for others and it's certainly not in any way judgemental to expect that.

Perhaps a word to your lovely butler may help in resolving the problem Phil? Otherwise my prescription is a few Long Island Iced Tea's before bedtime. :D

Knowing how tolerant and laid back Phil is, then the noise from The Doorschlammer's must be very intrusive indeed. Some people have no consideration for others and it's certainly not in any way judgemental to expect that.

Perhaps a word to your lovely butler may help in resolving the problem Phil? Otherwise my prescription is a few Long Island Iced Tea's before bedtime. :D

No butler for me, but the Long Island Iced Tea idea works:)

I do think anyone has the right and privilege to keep late hours and sleep in as late as they wish though.

No disputing that. In our case, we would not have even noticed what hours our next-door neighbors kept (not our business) -- except for the repeated door-slamming, in the wee hours of the morning. And, while we would never 'repay in kind' (slamming our door would disturb our other neighbors), I can say that we did NOT make any effort to 'tiptoe around', as we prepared for our early morning activities. ;) Oh, and as to saying something, or leaving a note -- there was a language barrier, making that impossible. We did say something to our steward, but he had his own problems -- just getting in to clean that room.

And, you are also right about not letting something that trivial ruin your cruise -- which we did not. It mostly served to remind both of us to not "be that guy". We always try to close our cabin (and balcony) door quietly, no matter the time of day. You never know who might be trying to get some rest. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

Spoken from those who have never encountered a persistent and inconsiderate door slammer at all hours of the day and night. If you had, you would never have made those comments.

Agreed, albeit sadly. Whether or not anyone finds "complaining" here to be productive or not, I really feel door slamming is one of the worst intrusions on a cruise. You simply cannot get away from it. Personally, my DH and I are pretty easy-going and try to take things as they come and not get into a flap if something isn't quite right. BUT... door slamming is its own entity. It is truly awful. :(

One of the issues is the design of the doors on s class ships opening outwards into corridors so people let them go instead of pulling closed. We had 2 children in the cabin next to us, if it wasn't the door it was the tv really loud. We used to have to ring the cabin after midnight and ask the parents politely if the cartoons could be turned down a bit.

Edited by Tiggertastic

I agree about the door slammers and the folks that feel the need to yell down the hall at their friends! I wear earplugs and cannot say how many times I get woken up by slammers and yellers. It does not ruin my vacation - but I do sure wish people were more considerate of those around them.

One of the issues is the design of the doors on s class ships opening outwards into corridors so people let them go instead of pulling closed. We had 2 children in the cabin next to us, if it wasn't the door it was the tv really loud. We used to have to ring the cabin after midnight and ask the parents politely if the cartoons could be turned down a bit.

Just curious. We've always sailed the M class and whatever class the Mercury was before it was sold. What's the difference in layout of the S class that has everyone commenting here? We're on Eclipse in Dec. and Reflection in Nov.

I would urge some consideration especially in the first day or 2 of a cruise. I guess we have all done it ...left the verandah door open and the door slams.

Also please don't take this into your own hands to resolve.

A number of cruises ago when we were travelling with our adult daughter who has learning difficulties, my husband was bringing in cases and the door slammed....we are usually very considerate but just made a mistake. Whilst our daughter was in on her own a very irate woman arrived at the door, took her to task till she cried. We were furious to hear what had happened on our return, however we didn't want this to escalate. We went to guest relations to explain what had happened. They were wonderful and asked us to leave it in their hands. Don't know what happened but the woman was as nice as pie next time we met!

Leave it to the professional to handle. I am horrified at some of the suggestions of early morning calls, removing do not disturb, post it notes on the door etc. If anything a polite message left on the phone would be more than sufficient. If it continues Guest relations.

I would urge some consideration especially in the first day or 2 of a cruise. I guess we have all done it ...left the verandah door open and the door slams.

A number of cruises ago when we were travelling with our adult daughter who has learning difficulties, my husband was bringing in cases and the door slammed....we are usually very considerate but just made a mistake. Whilst our daughter was in on her own a very irate woman arrived at the door, took her to task till she cried. We were furious to hear what had happened on our return, however we didn't want this to escalate. We went to guest relations to explain what had happened. They were wonderful and asked us to leave it in their hands. Don't know what happened but the woman was as nice as pie next time we met!

Leave it to the professional to handle. I am horrified at some of the suggestions of early morning calls, removing do not disturb, post it notes on the door etc. If anything a polite message left on the phone would be more than sufficient. If it continues Guest relations.

I can't believe that someone would rant and rave because your door slammed once on the first day of the cruise. Maybe she was just a rude person who is only happy if others are unhappy.

Sorry you were horrified, but I think if it is a pattern, more than a few times, and they are slamming it very late at night, I've got no issues slamming it early in the morning.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Just curious. We've always sailed the M class and whatever class the Mercury was before it was sold. What's the difference in layout of the S class that has everyone commenting here? We're on Eclipse in Dec. and Reflection in Nov.

If the cabins are not connecting the doors open outwards into the corridor rather than inwards to the cabin. So it's easy to let it go to slam. It's a bad habit that people get into

Finally Tony ... the sensible answer, thank you

Our door has gotten away from us on occasion to, and the sound is truly earshattering. If it's my fault, I'll announce to the hallway, empty or not, "I am so sorry. The door just got away from me, sorry folks"

I've heard a few Thank you's, It's OK, and Happens to me too. If you address it right away, all seems well. It is the "on purpose " folks that are the real problem.

Currently on Reflection. What is it with those that slam their cabin door? Standard cabins are built as a tandem so if the person next to you slams their door they may as well be slamming yours. Nice if you are having an afternoon siesta or an early night. No need for an alarm call. Don't they get it? Totally inconsiderate and it's not rocket science. Close it quietly for gawds sake. I picked my cabin on RF to have less of an issue (no tandem door arrangement because I'm at the very end of the hall), but those that continue to slam their door as I walk down the corridor? Stoopid! Rant over:)

They may have the balcony door open, which causes a big air pressure difference. It's happened to me several times.

Just tried taking an afternoon nap and there were at least a dozen slams in my vicinity in 45 min. If it's cabin attendants, what are they doing in the middle

of the afternoon to be going in and out of so many cabins? It's so frustrating, the whole cabin shakes each time.

Funny enough, I was in the same cabin on the previous cruise and had no issue with schlammers. Passenger makeup of this TA is quite different. Lots of unfriendly people who can't even manage a good morning or smile.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If the balcony door is even cracked, the hallway door WILL SLAM...and there's little you can do about it....

We try to hold onto the door, but sometimes, it just gets away from you!

On the other hand, are you one of "those" who thoughtlessly leave their balcony door open (or cracked) to foul up the A/C for everyone in your section of the ship? Not only do open balcony door contribute to door slamming...but it also screws up the "closed HVAC systems" on ships.

Hank