Does Anyone Wear a Tux Anymore?

Swabia

DH is trying to work out whether to take his at Christmas or not. May on Equinox he felt really out of place when we realised that we'd only seen 4 others all evening. August he left it at home and there was about 20% in them. Last new year I'd say at least 80% had them but it had only been in force 3 weeks. So we're not sure but we have a few weeks still to decide

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I no longer take mine, do not know if it even fits anymore. The last time I wore one I rented it to make sure it fit (at that time, mine was too big, probably has shrunk since then LOL).

However, getting dressed up does give you an excellent opportunity to get some professional pictures taken. We have several formal night pictures hanging in the hous. If wasn't for the nuisance I would consider at least renting a tux so I would not have to pack it.

I think that you hit the nail on the head. As we age, many people no longer fit into their Tux's and gowns and do not want to purchase larger size formal clothes.

Unless you buy the designers, casual clothes less expensive!

Edited by Cruise a holic

I think that you hit the nail on the head. As we age, many people no longer fit into their Tux's and gowns and do not want to purchase larger size formal clothes.

Unless you buy the designers, casual clothes less expensive!

I think there is also some confusion about what to wear to be "Chic" and the Tux is just easy.

I think there is also some confusion about what to wear to be "Chic" and the Tux is just easy.

I don't find it confusing. I wear a long sleaved dress shirt and chinos. Easy peasy!

My third cruise with Evening Chic coming up and the above works well and fits in on those evenings.

But hey if some find a tux easy, that fits in too!

Edited by Charles4515

My DH wears the chino's and long sleeved shirts every night except the Evening Chic which is considered country club attire- typically we consider that cocktail party attire-

I go by Celebrity's definition. Not yours. Dress shirt and pants on Evening Chic. Also includes designer jeans. Optional sports jacket or blazer. Notice, no mention of tux. On the other evenings I wear smart casual. Polo shirt and pants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

If wearing a tux makes you feel good then by all means do so. We happen to prefer casual but that should certainly not discourage you from packing the tux.

Whether you are wear a tux, suit, or dress in more casual attire is entirely up to you. Makes no difference to us and probably to the vast majority of your fellow cruisers.

Although we no longer dress up in formal attire I love to see it. It's nice to see the families and couples dressed up taking pictures. But, it's just not for us anymore.

I do bring a sports coat and even a tie but it's iffy if I wear the tie. I don't run back to my room and change to shorts afterward, I can keep long pants on for a few hours. I still like the feel of dress up night even though it's not as dressy as it was.

Personally I enjoy the relaxed dress code but welcome others to get decked out!

enjoy

I go by Celebrity's definition. Not yours. Dress shirt and pants on Evening Chic. Also includes designer jeans. Optional sports jacket or blazer. Notice, no mention of tux. On the other evenings I wear smart casual. Polo shirt and pants.

Yeah. *sigh* It's beginning to look like our NCL cruises. Each to his/her own. *sigh*

Notice, no mention of tux.

Hi Charles,

quote from the F&A section of Celebrity website where tux is mentioned

" Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should. "

Regards,

Wolf

Hi Charles,

quote from the F&A section of Celebrity website where tux is mentioned

" Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should. "

Regards,

Wolf

Yes, that was added on the website in the FAQ under what to wear onboard after the initial announcement. It was not in the original flyer they emailed. I think it was a good addition. It was like an afterthought. No reason peeps who would like to should not wear a tux. And some people still are.

7992246d6bb2c9377f96d54a2bf7720d.png

Edited by Charles4515

So...here's my two cents. DH and I usually travel just us. We're both pretty self confidant. Please forgive in advance our sentiment, no disrespect is meant to any of our fellow passengers. We try to stay within the X dress guidelines and dress for each other. The rest of the fellow passengers we will probably never see again, so why worry about what stranger think? You like wearing a tux and long gown...have at it. No tie? Okay! It's your vacation, wear what'll make you happy and fits the guidelines.:D

Luvcrusn....we feel exactly the same way.

We have never been sure what the real issue is. It seems to us that there are a lot of very insecure folks who are laser focused on conformity. So much angst and such a waste of time and energy. It is much easier to be yourself than be someone that you think others expect you to be.

It is not how we want to move through life. Yes, we observe the guidelines in a general fashion. We don't spend hours (or even minutes) fussing or knashing our teeth about it.

We think that it is great that someone feels so good wearing their tux. Hopefully they will continue. It is not our choice but more power to them if it makes them happy and enhances their vacation experience. After all, who are we to judge what someone else happens to be wearing?

Edited by iancal

I still bring my Tux on Celebrity, and of course Cunard as well. I leave it at home on HAL, Princess, NCL, and Royal Caribbean (sports jacket and a few ties). In order to move toward the new "Chic" code, I will substitute an ascot for a bow tie on Celebrity.

My wife wears a dress every evening (some more Chic than others). Luggage is a faux issue, as it takes the same amount of room for the extra casual wear, compared to a tux. My wife's dresses take up very little room in our checked luggage.

It's something we do to make our evenings a bit more special, but others have different priorities. Not a big deal.

Mileage may vary.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Yes, that was added on the website in the FAQ under what to wear onboard after the initial announcement. It was not in the original flyer they emailed. I think it was a good addition. It was like an afterthought. No reason peeps who would like to should not wear a tux. And some people still are.

Hello Charles,

thank you for posting the flyer.

Wolf

Lugging tuxes, dress shirts and shoes, cummerbunds, ties, cufflinks etc is part of the fun of traveling. It's also very relaxing on a vacation to spend a few hours ironing them.

Don't forget your spanx and girdle!

I'm confused. What's an iron? OH. I know. Never mind my silly question! It's one of a set used to play golf DUH:D;)

FYI irons not allowed on board- however you can for a fee, have your clothes pressed. Or buy a spray fabric softner that helps.

Even casual clothes sometimes require pressing . We have been to many black tie affairs that suggest "black tie" of course not mandatory!

Not everyone needs spanx and those who do male or female, wear them with casual clothes also.

Of course to each his or her own- it is your vacation and you should do what works for you!!

I personally have never wore a tux in my life. I'm going to be 58 next month. The last I checked only 10 restaurants in the United States require them. If people want to wear a tux go for it.

Not even to a wedding or a prom?

You have not missed much. I own two tuxes and will avoid wearing them ever again if at all possible in the future. Which should be easy as I doubt I will be invited to an Inaugural Ball next year, LOL.

It is not just the tux, there are the accessories, the cummerbund, cuff links, tux shirts, studs, self tie bow tie, patent leather shoes. They do look good but what a pain. And there is no reason wear them on a cruise vacation. If I get invited to a real event I will wear, not a faux event on a cruise ship. But anyone who wants can wear a tux on a cruise and I don't think they will feel out of place on Eveng Chic evenings. At least from what I have seen so far. My next cruise will be about a year since they changed to Evening Chic and it will be interesting to see any changes from a year ago and six months ago. On those two cruises there were passengers who didn't know about the change or who had booked before the change.

Edited by Charles4515