Zuiderdam Panama Canal-just back-some info

jabcruiser

Hi all. Just back yesterday from our wonderful Panama Canal cruise. Just wanted to post a few things of interest.

First night apparently Copper 8-10 was busy. At least I read on this thread that he was Security on this cruise. Well here is the story as I know it. Early evening 1st night a male guest(definitely won't call him a gentleman) sat at our table Aft Lido deck. No asking if we minded. Well, we certainly did mind after hearing him for a few minutes! Every other word the "F" word. Very drunk already. 75 yo man very unhappy. His companion/girl friend had booked a very small inside cabin on 10. Those cabins they have added aft of Crow's nest. So small no sofa apparently. Anyway he went on and on about this and he was a millionaire, and he just gave his 50 yo son a new pickup, and he was a millionaire, and very unhappy, and F this, and F that, and he was a millionaire, and blah, blah, blah. So why did they book a small inside??? Anyway after a few minutes of this we made our excuses and left. Next couple of days made sure to check that he not on Aft deck when we went out there. Apparently no worries. Few days later we heard story from couple on 10 across hall from him. Disturbance involving cursing, yelling, screaming 75 yo male guest in inside cabin on 10. No doubt same person we had met. He was a big guy. When this couple opened their door to see what happening they witnessed 4 security men at his door which was cracked. Then a fist came out and hit one of them, they forcefully entered his room and took all of them to subdue him and strap him down. Doctor came to sedate him and he was taken away to wherever they take them. Next day he was disembarked on Half Moon Cay. We later heard from other guests they brought in helicopter to evacuate him and girlfriend from HMC but never saw it so not sure if that true or not. Quite the talk. At 75 one would think a "millionaire" or anyone else would know how to act. Glad HAL took decisive action and hope he is banned from all Carnival brand ships in future. Certainly have never had anything like this happen on any of our cruises before and quite unusual I believe, at least for HAL.

On to some tidbits regarding the cruise itself. Breakfast room service menu still the full choice old menu. Happy hour second drink $2 now. Food in general still very good we thought and really not much change from our previous HAL cruises, except pre-made sandwiches.

Very glad I booked starboard SS, just by chance. Was great facing inward to canal during transit into and out of Gatlun Lake as got to observe other ships going in opposite direction from our veranda. Crew and some freighter passengers all waving and taking pictures of us. Never thought of this when booking the cruise, but turned out got the best side we thought.

New show premiered one evening in Vista showroom. Cruise Director announced ours was first cruise to have it other than Koningsdam. Was very good and believe all guests liked it. Kind of a history of rock/pop music/dance from Elvis up to present. Vista Lounge packed for this show and standing room only overflowing even into hallway.

Costa Rica turned out rainy at first but that stopped and was nice and cool for our Tortuguero Canal/banana plantation/city tour which was well appreciated. Saw sloths, monkeys, lots of birds, "Jesus Christ" lizard, cayman, crocs so was interesting. Stayed on board at Panama Canal and viewed from aft, forward, and our veranda. Very interesting.

Well, that is about enough, probably too much. We had a great time, great weather mostly, and very pleased with HAL again.

Jane

Thank you for your report.

HAL made the right decision about getting them off the ship.

I know that a helicopter can land somewhere on HMC. Quite a few years ago one of the ladies who worked in a lounge had an accident and had to be evacuated. Heard the helicopter but didn't see it.

We had an incident a few years ago on the Noordam with several young men and Happy Hour. They were put off the ship as well.

Absolutely right decision. First couple days, before I found out he had been put off, I was looking around everywhere I went to make sure he wasn't in the vicinity as had no desire to encounter him again.

Oh, forgot about the other little drama. 3 guests almost got to stay in Cartagena,Columbia. All aboard 12:30. Departure 1:00. At 12:50 captain announced looking for 3 guests from one cabin. Apparently Captain in really good mood that day as waited until about 1:05 before pulling gangway. About 1:10 ropes released. And here they come! One guest on motorized wheelchair/scooter thing and two others jogging toward ship. Wow, they put gangway back out and let them on. We watched whole thing from our veranda. Lucky folks if you ask me. I wouldn't want to be left behind in Columbia.

Jane

Jane,

Thanks for your comments.

Did you take the ship's tour in Costa Rica or was it a private tour? If private, could you share the name? Did you actually stop at the banana plantation or was it just a "drive by?"

Thanks,

Carol

Absolutely right decision. First couple days, before I found out he had been put off, I was looking around everywhere I went to make sure he wasn't in the vicinity as had no desire to encounter him again.

Oh, forgot about the other little drama. 3 guests almost got to stay in Cartagena,Columbia. All aboard 12:30. Departure 1:00. At 12:50 captain announced looking for 3 guests from one cabin. Apparently Captain in really good mood that day as waited until about 1:05 before pulling gangway. About 1:10 ropes released. And here they come! One guest on motorized wheelchair/scooter thing and two others jogging toward ship. Wow, they put gangway back out and let them on. We watched whole thing from our veranda. Lucky folks if you ask me. I wouldn't want to be left behind in Columbia.

Jane

We had a similar incident involving late pax on our K-dam cruise. Don't remember which port in Greece but it involved 3 pax. We were on our veranda and things were being made ready to sail. Announcement made looking for 3 pax. Gangway was being readied to set sail, it was a full 30 min. Past time. We then saw a female running (in beach wear) for the ship, then a scooter roared up with another lady, he roared off and then and came back wit h a guy (in beach wear on the back. Pax on board were clapping and he decided to be a bit of a show off and as he was raising his arms to the applause promptly fell off the scooter and injured himself. Well now you know medical had to get involved and he was finally boarded.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am hoping Copper 10 can answer this GENERAL question....not a question specific to this incident, of course ;)

If a passenger gets thrown off the ship, I know from a city they would be responsible for their fare home from whatever airport they got to. But if they have have to be sent away from a private port, how does the work? Does the cruise line bill them after arranging transport? Would they have to arrange their own transit off the island? I am curious about bad behavior leaving, not medical leaving which i do understand.

LOL - the guy probably made his millions by being cheap :p:D

Interesting stories OP - but very sorry to hear about the evac on HMC.

I suspect Copper was busy with paperwork on this cruise:eek:

Thanks so much for sharing :D

Sounds like you had a great cruise with the exception of the unwanted dinner guest the first night.

Thank you for the recommendation of starboard for cruising the Canal. We have visited the Panama Canal but not on a ship. I have made note of your comments for a future cruise.

And...the new show sounds promising!!!!!!

And...we have been to Costa Rica a couple times but the Tortuguero Canal is on our list, especially during turtle hatching season. I'm happy to hear you saw so much wild life.

I love the Zuiderdam and really enjoyed your report. Thank you, Cherie

That 75-year-old probably has Alzheimer's or something like it. It often causes rage and anger in normally sweet people. Too bad...but glad he won't be sailing again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That thought went through my mind too. Sudden flashes of anger and unacceptable behaviour, and the repetitive conversation is a clue. Possibly some compassion is in order, and I am sure the ship medics and security dealt with the situation with sensitivity.

Jane,

Thanks for your comments.

Did you take the ship's tour in Costa Rica or was it a private tour? If private, could you share the name? Did you actually stop at the banana plantation or was it just a "drive by?"

Thanks,

Carol

Private tour through Syl Travel and Evelyn was our guide. Very good. Stopped at entrance to Banana Plantation and process explained. Can't actually enter them anymore but we all got out and walked little ways in so could see the forest of bananas. Interesting. We were very pleased with Syl and Evelyn was great. Other passengers said she was best they had on all their tours. This was only one we did.

Just to clarify, the guest who was disembarked definitely not Alzheimer's. Still works as a manager(we got his whole life story I think). Just drunk and obnoxious. Also heard from other passengers on 10 he took bucket of champagne to muster. Really!

Jane

I am hoping Copper 10 can answer this GENERAL question....not a question specific to this incident, of course ;)

If a passenger gets thrown off the ship, I know from a city they would be responsible for their fare home from whatever airport they got to. But if they have have to be sent away from a private port, how does the work? Does the cruise line bill them after arranging transport? Would they have to arrange their own transit off the island? I am curious about bad behavior leaving, not medical leaving which i do understand.

Fellow passengers and us also wondering same thing. I know Copper would not be able to comment on this incident but would love to hear who pays when this happens. Hopefully he did. Also wondering if charges could be made against him in Bahamas for assaulting one of the security team. As stated originally, apparently a blow was struck and small amount of blood was observed. Again, that per guests on 10 who were observing this from across the hall. We also wondering if guests in Crows Nest saw or heard anything as these cabins very close to that lounge. Believe the incident occurred about 10:00 in evening so am sure there were passengers there at that time.

Off topic --- Jane, what did you think of the group in BB King's? We sat thru the first 3 nights but didn't think they compared favorably to the group that was on the O'dam last December.

Glad we didn't encounter the man you mentioned!

Off topic --- Jane, what did you think of the group in BB King's? We sat thru the first 3 nights but didn't think they compared favorably to the group that was on the O'dam last December.

Glad we didn't encounter the man you mentioned!

Definitely not as good! We only went couple of times, but pretty disappointing so didn't go every night like on O'dam. Darryl Stanley was lead singer on O'dam and on a previous cruise we had on Noordam and he is so good. Just comparing "Dock of the Bay", no comparison. This band was definitely lacking.

Jane

Since when is being thrifty a vice? Not a nice thing to say for the other forum users that book inside cabins.

Sounds more like the girlfriend, who probably is not wealthy, booked the cruise and that the man was upset when he saw the cabin. It seems clear to me that he would have gladly paid more for a better cabin.

igraf

LOL - the guy probably made his millions by being cheap :p:D

Since when is being thrifty a vice? Not a nice thing to say for the other forum users that book inside cabins.

Sounds more like the girlfriend, who probably is not wealthy, booked the cruise and that the man was upset when he saw the cabin. It seems clear to me that he would have gladly paid more for a better cabin.

igraf

I meant no disrespect to people who book inside cabins and in fact, some of them are very nice :)

What I found strange was he was bragging about his millions and complaining about his accommodations. I know a few people who are very wealthy and they got there by being frugal ;). Frugal would have probably been a better word than cheap - apologies for that.

Very glad I booked starboard SS, just by chance. Was great facing inward to canal during transit into and out of Gatlun Lake as got to observe other ships going in opposite direction from our veranda. Crew and some freighter passengers all waving and taking pictures of us. Never thought of this when booking the cruise, but turned out got the best side we thought.

Thank you for the recommendation of starboard for cruising the Canal. We have visited the Panama Canal but not on a ship. I have made note of your comments for a future cruise.

Often (maybe even usually) both lanes will be used for ships going in the same direction, and there is no way to predict which lane will be assigned to your ship. I would think the odds may be a little better that the port side will face the other lane. In any case, I am not in my cabin when going through the locks.

33o1avd.jpg

Edited by jtl513