Celebrity quality is slipping

scoobyspiced

Isn't the MDR carpeted? Don't they serve 3 meals a day there? I don't understand what the distinction is with a buffet.
Probably the difference is that at a buffet, folks are serving themselves and bringing the plates back to their tables spilling items, where the other meals are sit down and folks are being served by waiters. I only went a couple of times to the grand buffet and I was surprised at how many sloppy folks there were overfilling their plates allowing things to fall off or those that had food dripping off their plates.

Isn't the MDR carpeted? Don't they serve 3 meals a day there? I don't understand what the distinction is with a buffet.

The distinction is that, with a buffet, lots of food ends up on the floor due to careless self-service by guests, dropping of plates while going to the table, etc., whereas with waiter service that is less of a problem.

I had been given to understand (by one of the head chefs) that the grand buffet was stopped due to the colossal waste. I do not know whether this was truly a factor or not.

The distinction is that, with a buffet, lots of food ends up on the floor due to careless self-service by guests, dropping of plates while going to the table, etc., whereas with waiter service that is less of a problem.

I had been given to understand (by one of the head chefs) that the grand buffet was stopped due to the colossal waste. I do not know whether this was truly a factor or not.

The waste was (and is) simply breathtaking.

On Silhouette last month watched a woman (who should never have had even one) take 4 large desserts slammed on a single dish. Ate less than 25% of one, left the other 3 3/4 on the plate and walked out. Waste.

Watched people pile plates in the buffet so high that they barely could balance it in their hands. Ate, at most and very generously, half. Balance left on the plate and discarded. Waste.

I could go on and on. The cost to the line is staggering and yet the self-indulgent society keeps on keeping on....and none were the generation that is so frequently slammed on here for being "entitled" (largely millennials). These are people who should have "known better" about 65 years ago when they were children.

I accept that the waste was high...it is with most buffets these days. However, a grand buffet of some sort was the standard we all got used to....and it moved around....for a while wasn't it a midnight buffet of desserts/etc? Then after they stopped with the grand buffet, they sort of moved it to oceanview buffet area with some nice carvings in ice and watermelon..plus keeping the all you can eat shrimp and so on.

Now the sculptures are gone, the shrimp or anything else that could be viewed as special are gone....and all that remains is that one of the stations on the S-class ships is now a dessert buffet....but even that is just more platters of the same desserts. Also on that table is the chocolate fountain for those that like to eat chocolate that folks have put their fingers in (sorry for the digression).

Net....there are things that Celebrity could do to "revive" at least the concept of a grand buffet...special buffet, but cost cutting has taken over on the assumption, I guess, that most don't care and new cruisers don't have memories of the old buffets.

Call it what you will....clothe it in any words you want, but the demise of the grand buffet is to save costs and today's version is a non-version which they could remove, IMHO, but doing so wouldn't save anything measurable so it will probably stay.

Ok...some honesty...the only things I really looked forward to (and now miss) at the grand buffet were the gravelox and the crepes...and I suppose the shrimp, but you can pretty much get your fill of shrimp in the MDR ordering a double/triple order every night, if you want.

Edited by ghstudio

The thing I liked best about the Grand Buffet in the MDR was that I could have a nice relatively quiet lunch in the OV on a sea day. The crowds and hassle was never worth it to me.

My recollection is that on my recent cruises they moved it to the OV. I guess people do not think that particular day is special enough.

By the way I also do not miss the Midnight buffet. My very first cruise 36 years ago I chose early dining, so that I would be hungry for the Midnight Buffet. I cannot even imagine doing something so crazy.

I have always been able to find some food to enjoy on my cruises. Based on my weight I do not have much trouble finding something to eat whenever I am not on a cruise.

Back in the 90's (yeah I know cruising's stone age) my spousal unit and I would go to the midnight buffets. However we only went to look at the spectacular food and ice carving arrangements. We never ate only used our eyes.

I went to a couple of brunch buffets in the MDR but was turned off to them because of the way people mobbed the stations and piled their plates high.

Thus I will admit, I don't miss them. But I do miss the lack of seafood on the menus. I don't consider the fish they serve seafood. The tiny three shrimp soaked in water all day doesn't constitute a real shrimp cocktail.

At what point does the cost cutting matter to the cruising public?

but the demise of the grand buffet is to save costs and today's version is a non-version which they could remove, IMHO, but doing so wouldn't save anything measurable so it will probably stay.

Do you have any facts to back that assertion? Inquiring minds want to know.

The waste was (and is) simply breathtaking.

On Silhouette last month watched a woman (who should never have had even one) take 4 large desserts slammed on a single dish. Ate less than 25% of one, left the other 3 3/4 on the plate and walked out. Waste.

Watched people pile plates in the buffet so high that they barely could balance it in their hands. Ate, at most and very generously, half. Balance left on the plate and discarded. Waste.

I could go on and on. The cost to the line is staggering and yet the self-indulgent society keeps on keeping on....and none were the generation that is so frequently slammed on here for being "entitled" (largely millennials). These are people who should have "known better" about 65 years ago when they were children.

Our first cruises were with NCL, and we had fun on those cruises. One thing we never got to do on NCL was the once per cruise chocolate buffet. It was always mobbed, and the one time we tried to go we never made it through the door. What was sad was that while some were turned away after everything was depleted, you couldn't turn around without practically stepping on partially eaten or untouched plates of food left everywhere - hallways, common areas etc. - by the people who made it to the buffet first and then decided they didn't want what they took after all. Even the elevators had piles of plates and food on the floors. It was disgusting to see, the waste was unbelievable. It was such a turn off that on subsequent cruises we avoided the Chocolate buffet. No tragedy there though, just another first world issue. ;)

Edited by galensgrl

Celebrity is bad because they comply with health codes? You will be missed on Celebrity.

No they were very, very bad because they broke the law and served you the muesli at the table. They must have been so fortunate that you were there to set them straight.

I know I won't be missed. But after Azamara and Oceania or maybe Viking Ocean at some point when the get more ships, I doubt I'll miss Celebrity. I already do miss the Celebrity quality before Queen Lisa began her reign. It's not so much about the cheap but the quality of the experience. I, along with many others, feel that way. You may enjoy Celebrity dumbing down to join the ranks of NCL, RCL and Carnival mass market cruising. I don't

I've also been seeing it increase in some of the crew as well. The cabin attendants who used to have an assistant to do 24 cabins, now they have 14 to do on their own. Do the math. Or the bartenders who used to have more co workers behind the bar to help them accommodate the crowds. Then there are the dining room servers who don't have the assistants to help handle more tables. It's a slippery slope that will only get steeper as cutbacks continue.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

No they were very, very bad because they broke the law and served you the muesli at the table. They must have been so fortunate that you were there to set them straight.

No, I didn't set them straight, they set me straight. Why do you make this stuff up?

I know I won't be missed. But after Azamara and Oceania or maybe Viking Ocean at some point when the get more ships, I doubt I'll miss Celebrity.

Well then, you will probably be missed on the Celebrity Forum.

I've also been seeing it increase in some of the crew as well. The cabin attendants who used to have an assistant to do 24 cabins, now they have 14 to do on their own. Do the math.

Actually no, you have this wrong too. The number of staterooms the staff maintained depended on the type of stateroom they maintained. They have more staterooms to maintain if interior staterooms - no balcony to clean, fewer amenities to check, etc. They had fewer staterooms to maintain if they were suites because of more square footage etc. Now they have half the staterooms to maintain as a crew of one, but again it depends on what kind of stateroom they have been assigned to maintain. But you already knew that, didn't you? I get to know the stateroom staff very well, and they set me straight.

It will be refreshing to spread some of your love over on the Azamara and Oceania forums.

"You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry: you will someday."

I know I won't be missed. But after Azamara and Oceania or maybe Viking Ocean at some point when the get more ships, I doubt I'll miss Celebrity. I already do miss the Celebrity quality before Queen Lisa began her reign. It's not so much about the cheap but the quality of the experience. I, along with many others, feel that way. You may enjoy Celebrity dumbing down to join the ranks of NCL, RCL and Carnival mass market cruising. I don't

I've also been seeing it increase in some of the crew as well. The cabin attendants who used to have an assistant to do 24 cabins, now they have 14 to do on their own. Do the math. Or the bartenders who used to have more co workers behind the bar to help them accommodate the crowds. Then there are the dining room servers who don't have the assistants to help handle more tables. It's a slippery slope that will only get steeper as cutbacks continue.

???? Didn't you start a long thread about how impressed you were on Equinox like two weeks ago?

???? Didn't you start a long thread about how impressed you were on Equinox like two weeks ago?

Yes I did and I hopefully expect a similar experience experience next month on the Eclipse. I loved the ship and staff. I didn't so much enjoy the changes in food and the other directions Corporate has been taking the line. I WAS very impressed with the move away from canned DJ blaring music and back to live performances.

There were some spattering of that in the thread. However I wanted that thread to focus on the positive aspects and took the approach from a first time S class cruiser.

Celebrity hasn't become a bad line yet. I just feel it's becoming closer to the other mass consumer lines step by step while trying to price themselves closer to the more upscale lines. I don't need to wait until it deteriorates more before expanding to other lines.

If I find a Celebrity itinerary we want to do at what I perceive is a value, we'll sail Celebrity again. It's just not any longer my preferred line as it was becoming before Queen Lisa's directives the past couple of years.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

In fairness, we can't blame all the cuts on lisa....many started under Michael Bayley.

I agree with you the cuts have been going on for some time now. Hopefully, Celebrity will turn the page and they will start adding a few nice perks back. Okay, maybe they won't, but I can hope.

We do not miss the midnight buffet..It was alot of work for the staff to set up, making ice and choc sculptures. It affected regluar MDR dinner service..rush rush rush

It ran late esp after the extra viewing and photo time. Always thought it was used to keep folks up late spending money...it was beautiful but wasteful.

The Grand buffet was never very grand...many did not dress as requested and folks trampled into the room as if they had never seen food on the cruise, saved seats. Not very grand..due to poorly mannered passengers.

What we did enjoy was the Chocolate dessert buffet..part of the Cap Club events early on..and also night time..We had one on Century at the upstairs nightclub.. at a very decent evening hr.. there were early activities for children..face painting, clowns, balloons..then into the night for the grown ups..really a fun party. Activity staff & DJ kept everyone dancing,

There was an amazing choc buffet.with sculptures, fountains...only odd issue that it was an Indoor white night party...hard to enjoy choc with white clothes!

Wish they'd bring something fun like this back..Great for all ages!

Edited by hcat

Under the California Code, is there an outright ban on self service buffet on carpeted areas, or are there extra cleaning requirements?

If it's extra requirements then that is Celebrity who are choosing to use the California Code as a reason / excuse for stopping the lunch time buffet

Under the California Code, is there an outright ban on self service buffet on carpeted areas, or are there extra cleaning requirements?

The California Retail Food Code (CalCode) Section 114268 states:

"Except in sales areas and as otherwise specified in subdivision, the floor surfaces in all areas in which food is prepared, prepackaged, or stored, where any utensil is washed, where refuse or garbage is stored, where janitorial facilities are located in all toilet and handwashing areas shall be smooth and of durable construction, and nonabsorbent material that is easily cleanable.

Floor surfaces shall be coved at the juncture of the floor and wall with a 3/8 inch minimum radius coving and shall extend up the wall at least 4 inches, except in areas where food is stored only in unopened bottles, cans, cartons, sacks or other original shipping containers."

Acceptable flooring for full-service kitchen areas

Includes sculleries, meat or fish preparation areas, bars, bakeries, and any areas with a power wash down.

• Quarry tile (any color) with a 4" quarry tile coved base. Epoxy grout is recommended.
  • Seamless troweled-on epoxy floor (not paint) 1/4" minimum thickness with a 4" self-coved base.
  • 100% homogenous vinyl flooring recommended by the manufacturer for use in commercial kitchens. The floor must have heat-welded seams a minimum of 4” high with 3/8” self-coved base.

Limited food preparation areas

Includes service areas such as delicatessens, sandwich shops, espresso shops, areas behind service counters, employee change areas, janitorial rooms, mixed-use and self serve areas.

• The floors listed above for full-service kitchens.
  • The minimum flooring required is a commercial grade sheet vinyl having chemically-welded seams with a 4" self-coved base.

But to answer your question specifically, read the California Directors of Environmental Health Buffet Service Guidelines (2008). Specifically:

B. Consumer Side of Service Line.

Where there is a carpet or other similarly absorbent and permanent floor covering, the

local enforcement agency may require that a suitable temporary floor covering be

placed on the consumer side of the service line where there is a significant risk of

spillage. This temporary covering may consist of a mat, carpet-runner or similar

temporary suitable floor covering. This covering must be kept clean and free from

debris, and cleaned after each service period.

There's a simple answer to this that wouldn't impact the vast majority of cruisers - stop sailing from California

I wouldn't hang my hat too tightly on the California standards. Most states have similar standards, and they all take their cues from recommendations made at the federal level. While food handling standards are a local not a federal responsibility, state and local regulations typically adopt and hew closely to language recommended by the FDA and USDA as appropriate, and for that reason they are relatively uniform throughout the US.

Celebrity just about did and the people from CA were complaining they have to sail other lines.

Not true - oh just baiting again. Celebrity REDUCED their California presence about 4 years ago when they sold the Century that had been primarily based in San Diego. Celebrity still sails out of California today. I took one California itinerary in 2016, I have a California itinerary in 2017, and I have a B2B California based itinerary in 2018.

There's a simple answer to this that wouldn't impact the vast majority of cruisers - stop sailing from California

California health codes are approximately the same as most progressive States. Would you really want to cruise on a line that had substandard health standards? There is always the new North Korean cruise line if that is of any interest. :D