Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

James Comey. WOW.

(yn)

Glad Comey is no longer our FBI Director...since he makes up his own rules. Very cowardly. Also can't believe someone in his position felt it was appropriate to selectively leak info to his benefit.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/08/politics/james-comey-loretta-lynch/index.html

"That was public knowledge and drew criticism at the time, but Comey also revealed that Lynch had previously given him instructions on the investigation into the use of a private server by former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton -- which "concerned" him.

"At one point, the attorney general had directed me not to call it an investigation but instead to call it a matter, which confused me and concerned me," Comey said. "That was one of the bricks in the load that led me to conclude I have to step away from the department if we're to close this case credibly."

He later explained that it felt "silly" to not acknowledge the investigation publicly as both presidential campaigns were speaking publicly about it -- but said the Clinton campaign was using "euphemisms" for it, including a "matter."

TAs are wonderful, I'd do them twice a year if I didn't have so many other things to do.

All those sea days to do nothing/drink/eat/trivia/talk to any passing person. Admittedly they do stop here and there but the ports are useful to go ashore and stretch your legs in a usually vain attempt to walk off the calories.

I sail solo and never have a problem with cliques, not sure I've ever really been aware of any. And don't forget - if one did form that excluded you, you wouldn't want to be part of it anyway!

Good morning Coolers! Happy weekend to all.

Mudhen, I'll share with you my personal experience on a TA on the Spirit (last November) versus a recent regular cruise on the Whisper.

There was a happy vibe in the TA, which there was not in the recent cruise. Surprisingly, the demographics tended to be younger in the TA, and there was more inclusiveness. There was much laughter all around and, yes, dancing in the small space at the bar. The recent cruise was very sedate...except for the lively Aussies, at times you could hear a pin drop. I did not attend Trivia, so maybe this activity was more engaging.

I wish others will share their experiences as well, because they may be very different than mine. Passenger mix is the luck of the draw.

Glad Comey is no longer our FBI Director...since he makes up his own rules. Very cowardly. Also can't believe someone in his position felt it was appropriate to selectively leak info to his benefit.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/08/politics/james-comey-loretta-lynch/index.html

"That was public knowledge and drew criticism at the time, but Comey also revealed that Lynch had previously given him instructions on the investigation into the use of a private server by former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton -- which "concerned" him."At one point, the attorney general had directed me not to call it an investigation but instead to call it a matter, which confused me and concerned me," Comey said. "That was one of the bricks in the load that led me to conclude I have to step away from the department if we're to close this case credibly."

He later explained that it felt "silly" to not acknowledge the investigation publicly as both presidential campaigns were speaking publicly about it -- but said the Clinton campaign was using "euphemisms" for it, including a "matter."

I don't know, but playing devils advocate, I guess he might say if speaking in plain English that he felt he was dealing with a lying dangerous crooked man and was seeking to protect America?

I'd love to hear what was said in private session.

And the tapes Trump threatened Comey with to intimidate him into silence will prove it either way otherwise Trump wouldn't have mentioned them .... because only a dishonest fool would do that .. .....

Do you consider Trump to be truthful and trustowrthy?

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Good Morning Everyone,

This is the first time that I'm dipping my toe into "Cooler Water", so be gentle with me! Unfortunately I don't have anything to say about American politics as it's too horrifying to comment on. This is the first time in my entire life that I've been embarassed about the direction my country is going. (ok, I said stuff....haha!)

Anyway, John and I did our first SS cruise in May and we couldn't have been happier. We're now considering a TA on the Spirit in Sept and/or possibly the June 3rd cruise on the Spirit as well. My question is(finally) Is there a different vibe on a TA? We quite enjoyed the passengers on our most recent cruise aboard the Spirit.Very friendly, open and just fun to be around. I've read some horror stories about other TA's were they were extremely clique-ie. As somewhat "newbies" this could be a concern. What is the general opinion on TA's?

Welcome MH, I do so hope you will hang around the cooler and chat with us. You needn't have anything to say of importance ...... :D

Good morning.........

We are going to be finding out a lot more information as ROBERT MUELLER is the man who is now in charge of the

investigation. Who knows how long it is going to take but he will do what he needs to do.

Jeff, that question depends on whose side you are on..........:eek:.....trustworthy?

Good morning.........

We are going to be finding out a lot more information as ROBERT MUELLER is the man who is now in charge of the

investigation. Who knows how long it is going to take but he will do what he needs to do.

Jeff, that question depends on whose side you are on..........:eek:.....trustworthy?

Hi Lois,

No I disagree. Only narrow minded people cannot see what they may feel are contradictory things in people. It is possible for intelligent people to see good things in people they don't like and vice versa. I could easily see why many feel that Trump is good for them but they might not trust him. It is perfectly possible to see someone as ruthless but a good business man for example. As JP and I often say here, you learn more fropm people that disagree with you than hold the same views and agree with you.

No?

Do you consider Trump to be truthful and trustowrthy?

Candidly, I am not a big fan...I did vote for him with reluctance (not a fan of the brash style). However, he was the best choice of the finalists and the best President we've had since George W Bush. Didn't care for his father, so before that it would have been Reagan.

That being said, even though I am not a fan of his style, I have been pleasantly surprised by his accomplishments so far (Supreme Court, etc.). I can tell he must be getting something done...because of all the whining on the left wing sites.

Candidly, I am not a big fan...I did vote for him with reluctance (not a fan of the brash style). However, he was the best choice of the finalists and the best President we've had since George W Bush. Didn't care for his father, so before that it would have been Reagan.

That being said, even though I am not a fan of his style, I have been pleasantly surprised by his accomplishments so far (Supreme Court, etc.). I can tell he must be getting something done...because of all the whining on the left wing sites.

I think Trumps major achievement is for the first time very particular groups in America who previously felt marginilised and hopeless now feel they have a President fighting their corner. Whether that turns out to be true we will see.

He has also turned some of the world order ideas on it's head although it is a shame he isn't more diplomatic to put it mildly.

Hi Lois,

No I disagree. Only narrow minded people cannot see what they may feel are contradictory things in people. It is possible for intelligent people to see good things in people they don't like and vice versa. I could easily see why many feel that Trump is good for them but they might not trust him. It is perfectly possible to see someone as ruthless but a good business man for example. As JP and I often say here, you learn more fropm people that disagree with you than hold the same views and agree with you.

No?

Maybe I am misunderstanding......yes, we can all learn things from others if we are so inclined:D.....never too old to learn.

I don't trust him and and I don't like him (just my opinion).

I think Trumps major achievement is for the first time very particular groups in America who previously felt marginilised and hopeless now feel they have a President fighting their corner. Whether that turns out to be true we will see.

He has also turned some of the world order ideas on it's head although it is a shame he isn't more diplomatic to put it mildly.

OK, this is an area where we both agree. A large group of American's were unrepresented by Obama. While he was well spoken and diplomatic, he did a disservice to many including minority groups he claimed to represent through increasing dependency.

Personally, I am a big fan of color, sex, and religious equality. Obama focused too much on creating division and class envy. I was tempted to get a DNA test just so I could see what "category" benefits might apply to me. :eek:

Our current company is woman owned...almost every bid opportunity rewards you points based on gender, race, military status, etc....I was born a white male, but based on deep introspection have become a woman with racial and gender fluidity; too old to gain military status.

Question: I love all the food pictures...with explanations, wish I had better developed this skillset. Is everyone posting these pictures a hobbyist, or do we have some professional chef's participating in this thread?

Good Morning Everyone,

This is the first time that I'm dipping my toe into "Cooler Water", so be gentle with me! Unfortunately I don't have anything to say about American politics as it's too horrifying to comment on. This is the first time in my entire life that I've been embarassed about the direction my country is going. (ok, I said stuff....haha!)

Anyway, John and I did our first SS cruise in May and we couldn't have been happier. We're now considering a TA on the Spirit in Sept and/or possibly the June 3rd cruise on the Spirit as well. My question is(finally) Is there a different vibe on a TA? We quite enjoyed the passengers on our most recent cruise aboard the Spirit.Very friendly, open and just fun to be around. I've read some horror stories about other TA's were they were extremely clique-ie. As somewhat "newbies" this could be a concern. What is the general opinion on TA's?

Hi Mudhen.......

A very warm welcome to the cooler bar....feel free to join in for cocktails anytime 🍸

My most favourite voyages are the TA's/ crossings....great fellow cruisers and a brilliant relaxed atmosphere. I would have no concerns at all....I've enjoyed every one and as a solo traveller have made many friends along the way.

Sophia ☺️

I think I have loved every TA I have been on, so relaxing, lovely pax, great crew. There is an intensity or nervousness or the pervasive feeling amongst pax that one might miss something (FOMO) which accompanies port intensive cruises. And, in my opinion, FOMO seems to be absent or almost totally lacking on a crossing.

The day's blend into each other, like the waves upon a shore. Ahhhhhh.

I have posted numerous times on these crossings.

I have also posted towel reports. Sometimes the towels are exfoliating, and at other times, soft. Mostly, if hardly ever, they are made into animals.

Loved the food photos JP.

I am absenting myself from the political discussions. I would like to keep my breakfast down.

OK, this is an area where we both agree. A large group of American's were unrepresented by Obama. While he was well spoken and diplomatic, he did a disservice to many including minority groups he claimed to represent through increasing dependency.

Personally, I am a big fan of color, sex, and religious equality. Obama focused too much on creating division and class envy. I was tempted to get a DNA test just so I could see what "category" benefits might apply to me. :eek:

Our current company is woman owned...almost every bid opportunity rewards you points based on gender, race, military status, etc....I was born a white male, but based on deep introspection have become a woman with racial and gender fluidity; too old to gain military status.

I suspect that when looking it is possible to find a great degree of common ground under the surface when it appears on the surface there are differeng views.

I think what Trump illustrated and well understood was that America had been sleep walking into marginilising a much greater number of people it had opened it's eyes to and Trump merely mined that seam of gold. I read much from his son-in-law that he was telling newspaper reports that Trump was basically telling people what he calculated they wanted to hear and that is his skill. I gained the impression he doesn't believe much of what he said when campaigning but it was a successful means to an end. Sadly from outside the US it feels and seems like too little is being done to equalise the black/white issue and until that is really addressed the US will never be as free and as fair a society as it seems to think it is.

With respect to gender equality I am biaised. When working for "The Corporation", with the exception of one male, my best boss who got the most out of me was female, and when I managed others I found frankly that I was a much better manager of women than men. I found I could be much more direct and straightforward with women but ego and patience was much more necessary with men. I was good at making females feel much more confident than they were in themselves and getting the most out of them but I wasn't as successful with managing men, particularly men older than me and who were senior.

After several years my boss told me that when he received requests through the management line ie the "correct channels" for people seeking to be a part of my team almost all of them were female. I had a strange way of managing that was an acquired taste that females found easier to deal with than men. For example, I rarely interviewed people myself but asked appplicants who wanted to join to call members of my team and spend a lot of time with them and if my team rated them and told me that the appplicant was good and there was a natural position for them in the team that they could fill and earn us cash, then I simply rubber stamped their decision. I felt that if the team wanted someone to join them then they would absolutely make sure and guarantee that they were successful whereas when I imposed someone on them it was less certain.

I used the same approach with appraisals which I would never complete myself. I use to ask the employe to write their own targets which had to be date-lined and clearly measurable and I would simply approve them if they helped me achieve my targets. When it came to appraisals I asked them to draft their own appraisal on my behalf including the ratings they would give themselves for each measure. Interestingly females were almost always harder on themselves that I would have been and males were almost always too generous with their views of themesleves. And thus females thought I was a better manager than the males did because I was always generally rated the females much better than they rated themeselves but often having to tell males that they weren't as good as they were. I also worked extremely odd hours which some could deal with ......

Still ...... all nostalgia.

The Chester trip was a great success with the cruise closet topped up very nicely 😉💃

It was interesting to hear so many people talking about the election.....more so than usual with quite a lot of us seniors feeling very sad with the way it's all turned out......so many losing faith with Mrs May and at the last minute supporting JC at the polls.

Nothing seems fair anymore and the harder one has worked the more we are penalised.........

S😊

Question: I love all the food pictures...with explanations, wish I had better developed this skillset. Is everyone posting these pictures a hobbyist, or do we have some professional chef's participating in this thread?

Most of us are hobbyists. My travels tend to revolve around street and people food and I like to learn what people eat. :)

The Chester trip was a great success with the cruise closet topped up very nicely 😉💃

It was interesting to hear so many people talking about the election.....more so than usual with quite a lot of us seniors feeling very sad with the way it's all turned out......so many losing faith with Mrs May and at the last minute supporting JC at the polls.

Nothing seems fair anymore and the harder one has worked the more we are penalised.........

S😊

Great to hear the trip went well .... and the trunks are filling.

Am I the only one to think there is a potential practical showstopper?

DUP + Conservatives = "The West Lothian Question"

?

I'm so glad to read that people have enjoyed their TA cruises. The descriptions are exactly what my DH and I are hoping to experience come August.

My DH is more of a foodie than me. I'm gluten intolerant so quite often he'll have something in a restaurant that I can't eat, and so he'll come home and work on perfecting a GF version for me.

Our family motto: "We are often told that life is a journey, not the destination. However, for us, life is not the journey, but the food we eat along the way."

I will try to remember to take some pictures to post here, but quite honestly the plate is usually half empty before I pause.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mleh,

Lots of gluten free choices aboard the Spirit.

The La Terrazza buffet has a gluten free corner. I haven't partaken of the gluten free stuff, but like everything on Silversea, it looks appetizing.

Hope you will enjoy it.

Great to hear the trip went well .... and the trunks are filling.

Am I the only one to think there is a potential practical showstopper?

DUP + Conservatives = "The West Lothian Question"

?

Jeff....I'm trying not to think about what she's going to do next with the DUP......ToTheSunset had that in the bag this morning....scary stuff...........Showstopper.....there's a lot of them still reeling and been knocked off their pedestals........Sturgeon's not as cocky anymore is she!

Who's going to top the bill next.......☺️

Mleh,

Lots of gluten free choices aboard the Spirit.

The La Terrazza buffet has a gluten free corner. I haven't partaken of the gluten free stuff, but like everything on Silversea, it looks appetizing.

Hope you will enjoy it.

Thanks, spinnaker2 (may I call you spins?)

I didn't know about the gluten free corner in La Terrazza. Is it on all ships or just the Spirit? In any case, I'll look for it!

This upcoming cruise will be our third on SS, the first was on the Cloud, the second on the Shadow, and we are really looking forward to the Whisper.

One of the reasons we chose SS for this crossing is that SS didn't 'gluten' me on our previous voyages. (it's not a choice - I get quite ill and it takes days to recover.) The staff very quickly learnt my needs, and when bringing a sauce or gravy to the table would wag their finger at me and say "not for you", while Chef would go out of his way to make as many dishes as possible accessible. I love the personalized service.

My DH also relaxes a bit more on these cruises, knowing I'm less likely to be glutened, as he says that he is the one who has to live with me if I am (which isn't fun, especially in close quarters). ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OOOO! Thank you everyone who has answered about the TA's. It's sounding better and better! I'm going to stay out of the political discussions.....makes me feel really bad about our country. It's not quite time for cocktails yet, however it's always 4 o'clock somewhere!