❤Breakaway June 18th should I cancel?

Sue1260

Just booked cruise to Bermuda on Breakaway for week of June 28th. Then 2 days later found out Americans Cup is being held same week. This will be my second time on this exact cruise I love Bermuda. I'm concerned that it's going to be very crowded because of the cup. There are no events scheduled the days we are there which means everyone visiting the cup will be on beaches, excursions, shopping and restaurants. I don't know if I should book another cruise but can't change weeks and want to sail from New York. Any thoughts on how the American Cup will effect island. I cruise to relax not fight crowds[emoji22]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I doubt there will be any more tourists there than any other time, unless they all come in on yachts. Bermuda is a small country. There are a finite number of hotel rooms. Any other time those same hotel rooms would be filled with tourists/vacationers eating, drinking, shopping, and relaxing on the beach. EM

I doubt there will be any more tourists there than any other time, unless they all come in on yachts. Bermuda is a small country. There are a finite number of hotel rooms. Any other time those same hotel rooms would be filled with tourists/vacationers eating, drinking, shopping, and relaxing on the beach. EM

Agree. And if the racing is off shore, which is likely, it is not like a lot of people will be standing there watching.

Bermuda is expected to be jam-packed for the America's Cup. There will be many, many private yachts adding to the housing capacity of hotels, guest cottages and private homes that will be rented to visitors during the event.

Further, contrary to what CruiserBruce has posted, race course will not be off shore, and in fact the finish line is at the Royal Naval Dockyard. Here's the racecourse map (which also shows the superyacht anchoring area):

https://www.americascup.com/en/racecourse.html#

I'm confused about exactly when you'll be in Bermuda. In your heading you say June 18th, while in the body of your post you say June 28th. If you're arriving in Bermuda on June 28, the races will already have been completed, however I would expect a residual crowd as not everyone will be leaving as soon as the races have been completed. Here's the schedule:

https://americascup-images.s3.amazonaws.com/original/m2287_2017-louis-vuitton-america-s-cup-schedule.jpg

Edited by njhorseman

Bermuda is expected to be jam-packed for the America's Cup. There will be many, many private yachts adding to the housing capacity of hotels, guest cottages and private homes that will be rented to visitors during the event.

Further, contrary to what CruiserBruce has posted, race course will not be off shore, and in fact the finish line is at the Royal Naval Dockyard. Here's the racecourse map (which also shows the superyacht anchoring area):

I'm confused about exactly when you'll be in Bermuda. In your heading you say June 18th, while in the body of your post you say June 28th. If you're arriving in Bermuda on June 28, the races will already have been completed, however I would expect a residual crowd as not everyone will be leaving as soon as the races have been completed. Here's the schedule:

https://americascup-images.s3.amazonaws.com/original/m2287_2017-louis-vuitton-america-s-cup-schedule.jpg

In relationship to the race, where do the cruiseships park?

Laura

In relationship to the race, where do the cruiseships park?

Laura

Kings Wharf and Heritage Wharf at the Dockyard are located just above and to the left of where the map says "America's Cup Village". You can see the long, thin pier structure on the map. that's where the large ships such as Summit, Dawn, Breakaway, Grandeur of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas dock.

There also will be some smaller cruise ships docked in Hamilton and St. George's at times during the races.

I would go. I cannot see a reason to cancel. Bwemud ia cery mucch more geautiful than Nassau. I would never GIVE UP bEMRUDA FOR Nassau. JMO I have sailed to both a number of times and done land resort stays at both.

Edited by sail7seas

I would go. I cannot see a reason to cancel. Bwemud ia cery mucch more geautiful than Nassau. I would never GIVE UP bEMRUDA FOR Nassau. JMO I have sailed to both a number of times and done land resort stays at both.

I read reviews of Bermuda during peak season times, and the last thing I want to do on vacation is deal with crowds and wait for transportation. Every single bed on the island is taken, Bermuda will be as crowded as it can possibly be. I've been in the BA, so the ship is not the destination. Beaches where I live are very crowded, streets are very crowded, there is always traffic. I will eventually take a cruise to Bermuda, at a much quieter time.

I have been to the Bahamas four times, I know where to go to have a nice day.

NJ horseman sorry about date confusion it was a typo cruise leaves on June 18th. Thanks for all the advice I looked at schedule online but there's only one other boat leaving NY that week and I have also been on that cruise and don't particularly like it so might have to pay for airfare to another port.😣

That is a first . Someone choosing Bahamas over Bermuda .

I might switch to another cruise if I want to be around crowds and stand in lines I would go to Disney. I cruise to relax not fight the crowds. I have been to Bermuda and it's very beautiful but also very small.

Sorry about typo my cruise leaves 18th I'm looking for another cruise but going to have to opt for another port and pay airfare

Kings Wharf and Heritage Wharf at the Dockyard are located just above and to the left of where the map says "America's Cup Village". You can see the long, thin pier structure on the map. that's where the large ships such as Summit, Dawn, Breakaway, Grandeur of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas dock.

There also will be some smaller cruise ships docked in Hamilton and St. George's at times during the races.

Should I book port or starboard on Summit to get the best view of the races? The very aft is not available unless someone cancels. I know Summit somethimes switches directions.

Laura

Should I book port or starboard on Summit to get the best view of the races? The very aft is not available unless someone cancels. I know Summit somethimes switches directions.

Laura

Since there's no way to tell which way the ship will dock on any given cruise, there's no way to make a recommendation. Even having an aft cabin doesn't guarantee a view of the race, because if the ship docks starboard side to the wharf aft cabins will be facing the ship docked at Heritage Wharf...which will usually be the Breakaway when the Summit is in port.

Edited by njhorseman

Since there's no way to tell which way the ship will dock on any given cruise, there's no way to make a recommendation. Even having an aft cabin doesn't guarantee a view of the race, because if the ship docks starboard side to the wharf aft cabins will be facing the ship docked at Heritage Wharf...which will usually be the Breakaway when the Summit is in port.

My last 3 Bermuda cruises on Summit the front has been facing the Breakaway. I'm hoping it is this way for my cruise. If so do I want port or starboard? Right now I have cabin 8148 booked.

Laura

My last 3 Bermuda cruises on Summit the front has been facing the Breakaway. I'm hoping it is this way for my cruise. If so do I want port or starboard? Right now I have cabin 8148 booked.

Laura

If your bow is facing the Breakaway, the ship is docked port side to the wharf, which means starboard cabins will have a view of the Great Sound and at least part of the race. Cabins further aft should have a better view , if the race course is as drawn in the map, but It doesn't look as though very much of the race course will be visible regardless because most of it is rather far from the Dockyard. A good pair of binoculars might be useful.

Edited by njhorseman

Being around an America's Cup race is awesome -- the excitement, the atmosphere, the people -- but don't let anyone tell you it isn't crowded. Just the number of participants, support crews, news media, friends and family attending is huge and that doesn't come close to equaling the number of people that go just to see the race.

I was at the America's Cup Race in San Diego several years ago and contrary to some of the statements here -- there were hoards of people on the shore watching, people everywhere -- it was fun.

If you really don't want the crowds -- change the date.

Being around an America's Cup race is awesome -- the excitement, the atmosphere, the people -- but don't let anyone tell you it isn't crowded. Just the number of participants, support crews, news media, friends and family attending is huge and that doesn't come close to equaling the number of people that go just to see the race.

I was at the America's Cup Race in San Diego several years ago and contrary to some of the statements here -- there were hoards of people on the shore watching, people everywhere -- it was fun.

If you really don't want the crowds -- change the date.

Thank for the advice snowskier I already had my husband change his week of vacation to May 14th and changed cruise to that week still on Breakaway and going to Bermuda. It was a lot of work and difficult to get week changed but sooo worth it. May won't be as hot no crowds and price was cheaper so I upgraded to a aft larger balcony yah win win for us.

IMO, Bermuda way tops Nasaau every day of the week. Id'd never trade off Bermuda for Nassau.

Bermuda will be the most crowded it's ever been - I believe new hotels have even been built for this huge event. Big crowds and waiting for transportation are the last things I want to deal with on a cruise vacation. I am aware that Bermuda is a much nicer island.

Bermuda will be the most crowded it's ever been - I believe new hotels have even been built for this huge event. Big crowds and waiting for transportation are the last things I want to deal with on a cruise vacation. I am aware that Bermuda is a much nicer island.

Thanks for the info I was afraid it would be crowded so changed to a week in May. Husband had to change his week of vacation at work not an easy task but it will be worth it. No crowds in May, cooler weather and lower price.