Emergency! Dress Code...Independence of the Seas RCCL 12-31-16

tacojustise

Hi all,

If anyone has been on this ship, could you please help?! I have only been on one cruise before- Disney...This is a 5 day cruise and there is one formal night. Is the formal night REALLY "formal?" If so, could you please give some examples of dress? My husband is refusing to pack anything dressy & he's giving me a heart attack:mad:. Thank you!!!:)

^ No, OP is leaving in just a few short days. It's this week (unless it was corrected by OP in the past few minutes). :)

OP, I see you have already found your Roll Call and asked the same question there, so I expect you will be told much the same thing. "Formal wear" is not required as much as it is "suggested". He can wear dress pants and a nice shirt, tie optional, but you will definitely see some suits and tuxedos.

^ No, OP is leaving in just a few short days. It's this week (unless it was corrected by OP in the past few minutes). :)

OP, I see you have already found your Roll Call and asked the same question there, so I expect you will be told much the same thing. "Formal wear" is not required as much as it is "suggested". He can wear dress pants and a nice shirt, tie optional, but you will definitely see some suits and tuxedos.

If they call it a formal night, a jacket and tie would work. It is simply silly to wear a dress shirt and tie with new jacket - better (and more comfortable) to wear a blazer or sport jacket over a shirt with no tie. Just ask him to,wear what he would if he were taking you out to a restaurant for a special occasion.

Hi all,

If anyone has been on this ship, could you please help?! I have only been on one cruise before- Disney...This is a 5 day cruise and there is one formal night. Is the formal night REALLY "formal?" If so, could you please give some examples of dress? My husband is refusing to pack anything dressy & he's giving me a heart attack:mad:. Thank you!!!:)

One thing that's good is that you only have to put up with it for 5 days. I would refuse to book another cruise WITH DH if mine gave me such grief. Vacations aren't suppose to cause us stress they are suppose to relax us.

One thing that's good is that you only have to put up with it for 5 days. I would refuse to book another cruise WITH DH if mine gave me such grief. Vacations aren't suppose to cause us stress they are suppose to relax us.

and maybe dressing up stresses the DH out . It is a two way street .

Correcting the date would be good also. It's too late for 2016 and it's over 365 days until the next New Years Eve, so relax, not an emergency.

What calendar are you using

it is still 2016 on mine

If they call it a formal night, a jacket and tie would work. It is simply silly to wear a dress shirt and tie with new jacket - better (and more comfortable) to wear a blazer or sport jacket over a shirt with no tie. Just ask him to,wear what he would if he were taking you out to a restaurant for a special occasion.

You quoted me and I will reply back. OP is going on Royal Caribbean, our preferred and most frequently-sailed line. I merely mentioned what would be acceptable for her husband to wear. Of course jacket and tie would work, but there is nowhere near the enforcement there was years ago.

You quoted me and I will reply back. OP is going on Royal Caribbean, our preferred and most frequently-sailed line. I merely mentioned what would be acceptable for her husband to wear. Of course jacket and tie would work, but there is nowhere near the enforcement there was years ago.

DH rented a tux for our med cries on the JOS in May because we thought that it was less trouble than packing an extra suitcase which is what we would have had to do to bring a suit and dress shoes as it was an extended vacation. He was definitely overdressed but looked awesome and was not bothered by it like some men would have been.

We are both quite happy to not have to bother with formal wear on our upcoming Celebrity cruise to Hawaii. If formal wear was asked of us we would comply but we do prefer the dress code that Celebrity has now.

H Is the formal night REALLY "formal?" If so, could you please give some examples of dress? My husband is refusing to pack anything dressy & he's giving me a heart attack:mad:. Thank you!!!:)

No. It is whatever someone wants it to be. It is not "REALLY" formal unless you want it to be.

Examples of dress are jeans/polos, khakis/polos, khakis or black pants with a Tommy Bahama type button up short sleeve, khakis and long sleeve button ups, sport coat with polo and jeans or khakis, sport coat and slacks. suits. tuxes.

Soothe yourself, go on Instagram and look up the ship for people posting real photos. Khakis and a polo or button up will blend right in mostly.

This year I saw it all. We just returned from a Christmas sailing. Formal night was Christmas Eve. I saw families wearing ball gowns and tuxedos, to suits and dresses, to night club wear, torn denim shorts below the hips, grown adults in flannel pajamas, and a few young ladies in booty shorts wearing a wife beater tank top with their best bras showing. Not to mention a couple who was dressed in reindeer costume and the other a snowman. This was in the 1st MDR seating on the Enchantment. Everyone was let in and allowed to eat. All I can say is dress however you'd like. If you go formal and your husband is casual, don't worry you will fit right in.

Edited by warezbabe