Big-time cruiser with questions on an all-inclusive

loveandcruises

Hi, I figured I'd post here since maybe some of you are in the same situation as me. I've been on over 30 cruises over the past few years and it's basically the only thing my family knows and loves. This year, my husband decided to book a vacation at Sandals Ochi in Jamaica. An all-inclusive resort is something different for us. My husband says it's a step up from cruising because so much more is included. I'm worried that I might be out of my comfort zone, being a true-blue cruiser. Has anyone gone to an all-inclusive resort? How is it like a cruise? How is it different? Which do you prefer?

The only differences will be....a larger room! No "nickel and diming". And not going to different places daily...

Quite frankly, with the lessening of "included options" on cruises nowadays, you might find this to be a good value! Give it a try! Cruising is great, but so are other forms of vacations!

Hello there,

we have done both and enjoyed both. When my vacation time was limited we did the all-inclusive -- fly someplace, stay a week, enjoy it all, visit surrounding areas I we wanted. We usually picked resorts that were not near cruise ports. Gave us a chance to explore other areas.

When vacation scheduling was more flexible we cruised -- because we could find a good price and take vacation then.

The dining options may be limited but you never found chair hogs LOL since there usually were large pools, often several of them, and the beach to lounge on.

Always did love sitting on the beach and having drinks brought to us.

It's not just apples and oranges, it's oranges and orangutans. They are nothing alike, so don't even attempt a direct comparison.

We've done nearly as many AI resort stays as we've done cruises. We choose them for different reasons. And not all AIs are the same, just like cruise ships are not all alike.

We choose cruises when we just want a superficial sampling of ports and want to enjoy a bit of down time on sea days. We choose a land resort stay (either AI or a regular resort) when we want to explore an area in depth ( Barbados is an island we've been to several times and still haven't seen everything). OR when we want a getaway where we can be completely lazy and veg out on the beach or by the pool for a week).

The quality of the food and liquor at an AI can vary considerably from place to place. Even the best AI in Cuba can't compare favorably with most cruise line MDRs when it comes to food ( although it's still quite acceptable). But we've also stayed at AIs whose restaurants and bars compare very favorably.

We haven't stayed at that particular resort ( we don't care for Jamaica) so I can't comment on it specifically.

Edited by mom says

We stayed at a Sandals resort in Jamaica and it was fabulous! One of the best all inclusive options we have been to! Service was outstanding, and, you were not allowed to tip! Tried to give our housekeeper a $20 bill in a handshake and she would not take it! Food options are plenty! Always had the buffet option but the restaurants were delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did an AI a few years ago. Be careful in terms of knowing what is included and what's not. Some still have upcharge restaurants and upcharge for premium liquors. We chose a section if the resort that included just about everything so the only thing we paid extra for was at the spa.

The food was different. They had a handful of sit down restaurants in addition to the buffet, so we usually did those for dinner. Each one was a different nationality: Mexican, Italians, American, etc. it was clear that the chef didn't actually know how to cook anything besides Mexican food so some if the dishes weren't what we were expecting. For example we got cheesecake for dinner one night and it was a very unusual texture. And we did the American BBQ restaurant and I ordered pork ribs. I got bone in pork chops with a sauce that didn't resemble BBQ at all.

The shows were also lacking for us, they ranged from bad to dangerous. The dangerous one was when they had a fire show where the performers swung balls filled w kerosene and lit on fire around on chains. First the kerosene kept spilling and lighting the performers pants in fire so they had to keep patting it out and one accidentally let go and the flaming ball came flying into the crowd.

Overall my opinion about the AI is I would do it again, it was nice to have more included (also room service and mini bar was included) but the food and entertainment doesn't compare to a cruise ship for me. Just 2 different styles of vacation. AI is for just relaxing w no real schedule, cruise is more for excursions and sightseeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love cruising, I love AI's.

Ill throw in my $0.02 on Sandals Ocho Rios.

HATED IT

Sandals is couples only, no one under 18.

It was a lovebirds paradise. Couples laying in hammocks, romantic dinners, no music at the pool, just couples laying around reading books, very quiet and laid back, etc.

My wife and I are past those days.

Now, the RIU next door??? It was popping. We both wished we'd stayed there.

The best AI we've done? Beaches in Negril. Beaches is owned by Sandals but for families. There was music and the sound of childrens laughter. If one wanted quiet time, it could easily be found.

I love cruising, I love AI's.

Ill throw in my $0.02 on Sandals Ocho Rios.

HATED IT

Sandals is couples only, no one under 18.

It was a lovebirds paradise. Couples laying in hammocks, romantic dinners, no music at the pool, just couples laying around reading books, very quiet and laid back, etc.

My wife and I are past those days.

Now, the RIU next door??? It was popping. We both wished we'd stayed there.

The best AI we've done? Beaches in Negril. Beaches is owned by Sandals but for families. There was music and the sound of childrens laughter. If one wanted quiet time, it could easily be found.

lol we went to sandals st. Lucia for our honeymoon and loved it for that reason. We also went to beaches with out kids in Turks and Caicos with kids and enjoyed it, but would pass without kids. I thought the food and service at both were great.

lol we went to sandals st. Lucia for our honeymoon and loved it for that reason. We also went to beaches with out kids in Turks and Caicos with kids and enjoyed it, but would pass without kids. I thought the food and service at both were great.

Yep

For honeymoon, Sandals would be perfect :D

Who knows. Maybe OP's hubby is planning a renewal ceremony and a 2nd honeymoon

Edited by klfrodo

Hi, I figured I'd post here since maybe some of you are in the same situation as me. I've been on over 30 cruises over the past few years and it's basically the only thing my family knows and loves. This year, my husband decided to book a vacation at Sandals Ochi in Jamaica. An all-inclusive resort is something different for us. My husband says it's a step up from cruising because so much more is included. I'm worried that I might be out of my comfort zone, being a true-blue cruiser. Has anyone gone to an all-inclusive resort? How is it like a cruise? How is it different? Which do you prefer?

Whether it's a "step up" from cruising probably depends on what cruises you've been on. Certainly there is less nickel-and-diming than on the mainstream cruises, and typically your accommodation (room) is nicer too. There may be fewer people in the resort than on your cruise. The food may be better (depending on which cruises/cruise lines you've been on).

I really like the "all inclusive" experience where I don't have to sign/swipe for anything, which is one of the reasons I cruise on an "all inclusive" line -- not because it's financially better (sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't) but because of the atmosphere of no upsells, no need to feel badly if you don't "get your money's worth" from a dish, drink, or activity, etc.

I suspect whether or not you'll like it better will depend on what you really like about cruising and why you choose the cruises that you do. I do not like the AI resort experiences much, because I choose cruising to be at sea, not to be in port. Different strokes.