Question for Graham (gbenjo)

Hi

I think I've read on here that once a passenger checks in and boards a ship in Sydney they cannot get off and get back on, on boarding day, is that correct? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

I think I've read on here that once a passenger checks in and boards a ship in Sydney they cannot get off and get back on, on boarding day, is that correct? Thanks

100% true......any cruise that requires you to be processed by ABF ( Customs) you cannot leave the ship once you have boarded........unless you are a certain CC poster with multiple personalities who apparently thinks he (they) have special privileges :D

Hi

Yep it's very true and it's the same here in Melbourne. I did a BTB out of Sydney once and even being an in transit passenger customs said that once I got back on the ship again, that was it, I couldn't get back off.

Trish

100% true......any cruise that requires you to be processed by ABF ( Customs) you cannot leave the ship once you have boarded........unless you are a certain CC poster with multiple personalities who apparently thinks he (they) have special privileges :D

Must get the red carpet treatment at BorderForce. :p

Graham

Do you also know how Ovation is dealing with back to back/consecutive cruisers?

Can we stay on the ship?

OR

Do we have to get off and straight back on again?

OR

Can we get off and then get back on later in the day?

Noting that Royal will have given us our new sea passes on the last day of the cruise!. We have done B2B cruises with Royal before but in the caribbean and we had to get off, no matter what!

Thanks Aleisha

Hi

Im surprised at some of the responses to this, I bought my mother onto the Queen Victoria for a week in Sydney during the 2016 world cruise and we got off later in the evening to go to the opera house and dinner and reboarded before we departed with no problems, so I'm surprised if Cunard is treated any differently to other lines............

(and I dont think I'm the poster Gbenjo is referring to!)

Edited by roscoe39

That one is probably different as you are a sector of a longer cruise and passengers are transiting all the times. It is generally the stop/start cruises that you are not allowed to disembark. You used to be able to get off the US cruiselines but they have stopped that.

Yes, if the ship stays overnight as part of the same cruise you can get on and off.

But if it's leaving the same day, you can't.

Doesn't make a lot of sense (just reduces the chances of whatever they're defending against), but them's the - new - rules.

That one is probably different as you are a sector of a longer cruise and passengers are transiting all the times. It is generally the stop/start cruises that you are not allowed to disembark. You used to be able to get off the US cruiselines but they have stopped that.

Yes,the rule applies to guests commencing their cruise on the day that they board the ship at that port. It is, as I have said before, an ABF regulation and has been in place for a long time but in the past they "bent the rule" and turned a blind eye as a favour to guests but sadly with the way the world is these days they have been forced to enforce the rule. Even if you are a back to backer you can leave the ship before they get a zero balance of guests as you would still need to go through Customs when you leave the ship but once you return you cannot leave again once the new guests have started to board.

Hey Graham,

I trust you are getting a 'cut' of the action by answering all these random questions ...

Can you imagine how much business you would get setting up a pop up site at the OPT with a big sign ... 'Ask gbenjo'

You could make at least $5 each for selfies with Graham.

$10 for inside info on which line is moving the fastest.

And set your own price for priority boarding for the special peeps.

Cheers mate, we appreciate your input *thumbs up*

Hey Graham,

I trust you are getting a 'cut' of the action by answering all these random questions ...

Can you imagine how much business you would get setting up a pop up site at the OPT with a big sign ... 'Ask gbenjo'

You could make at least $5 each for selfies with Graham.

$10 for inside info on which line is moving the fastest.

And set your own price for priority boarding for the special peeps.

Cheers mate, we appreciate your input *thumbs up*

Come on Dobby don't give him ideas.:(:p.

I have to say one heck of a memory for faces though. Maybe he could turn that into a party trick.

Graham

Do you also know how Ovation is dealing with back to back/consecutive cruisers?

Can we stay on the ship?

OR

Do we have to get off and straight back on again?

OR

Can we get off and then get back on later in the day?

Noting that Royal will have given us our new sea passes on the last day of the cruise!. We have done B2B cruises with Royal before but in the caribbean and we had to get off, no matter what!

Thanks Aleisha

As both your cruises are " coastal" and there are no Customs involved for either of them, you should be able to come and go as you please.

Come on Dobby don't give him ideas.:(:p.

I have to say one heck of a memory for faces though. Maybe he could turn that into a party trick.

Some faces are just "unforgettable" :eek:........... no matter how much therapy and how hard I try.:D

Edited by gbenjo

As both your cruises are " coastal" and there are no Customs involved for either of them, you should be able to come and go as you please.

We were told no in December, to Tas and back. (that was that OTHER line though).

Some faces are just "unforgettable" :eek:........... no matter how much therapy and how hard I try.:D

I'll tell Sis you said that, you spotted her.

Now I understand why people remember me, what with my good looks and all that, but her??:confused::confused:.

Let alone Mrs G.

Can you come to Melbourne and help us board our voyage? With the red carpet, of course.

I am sure Cunard would float you back to Sydney to help you load Mr Gut a few days later.

Edited by Docker123

We were told no in December, to Tas and back. (that was that OTHER line though).

That's what happens...........:D:D:D

It can depend on the ship .... I will ask the question on Monday and get some clarification if I can.

Can you come to Melbourne and help us board our voyage? With the red carpet, of course.

I am sure Cunard would float you back to Sydney to help you load Mr Gut a few days later.

Funny, daughter just asked, will Graeme be checking us in on QM.?

"why not, I wanted spethshial treatment, like my Aunty was telling me about".

Thanks for the replies, we prefer to stay on the ship but I know it differs ship to ship. But we will roll with whatever happens!!!

I just thought of another question. I was printing the Ovation set sail passes today and noticed that they have a bar code. Others who have cruised on ovation have mentioned that the people with iPads scan the barcode, ask the health question and confirm payment method and that's it.

My question is do I need a hard copy of the set sail pass if I can access the PDF version I printed on my phone? Like can they just scan the bar code on my phone?

It will save me having to take hard copies!!

Also as we are cruising B2B I don't believe we need the documents for the second cruise as this process is done onboard. I have done online check for both cruises for all travellers.

Can anyone confirm whether this is still the process - ie. I don't need the documents for the second cruise?

Thanks

I just thought of another question. I was printing the Ovation set sail passes today and noticed that they have a bar code. Others who have cruised on ovation have mentioned that the people with iPads scan the barcode, ask the health question and confirm payment method and that's it.

My question is do I need a hard copy of the set sail pass if I can access the PDF version I printed on my phone? Like can they just scan the bar code on my phone?

It will save me having to take hard copies!!

Also as we are cruising B2B I don't believe we need the documents for the second cruise as this process is done onboard. I have done online check for both cruises for all travellers.

Can anyone confirm whether this is still the process - ie. I don't need the documents for the second cruise?

Thanks

YOu will need a paper copy of your setsail as the CIA will stamp it after they check you in so that as you proceed along the way to the ship staff can see that you have actually checked in. We can print out a setsail at the pier if a guest does not have one.

Can't help you with the B2B check in as I have never done one and is handled by the ship.

Funny, daughter just asked, will Graeme be checking us in on QM.?

"why not, I wanted spethshial treatment, like my Aunty was telling me about".

I will drink to that Mr Gut, we want the red carpet, but I fear MrGbenjos does not do Carnival brand ships like QM2. He does...Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Azamara etc. I think !!