saving a table?

esimon

Here is what I would do - Take the entire group of six into the main dining room for breakfast and lunch. Get the Maitre 'd to give you a table for 6 and then order a nice relaxed table service meal. No holding a table running from station to station for your own food etc.

Why play the McDonalds fast food routine on a cruise when you can take the entire experience upscale and let others do the heavy lifting.

We drape our napkins over the back of the chairs after we pick a table and then DH and I go off in two different directions to get what we want from the buffet.
I've never heard of napkins on chairs.... I assume the HAL staff will remove the napkin and make the table for the next desperate guest looking for a table.

I think the norm is to have at least one person at the table when others are attacking the trough to build their feed bags.

I've never heard of napkins on chairs.... I assume the HAL staff will remove the napkin and make the table for the next desperate guest looking for a table.

I think the norm is to have at least one person at the table when others are attacking the trough to build their feed bags.

The staff have never removed the napkins. It has always worked just fine. But we do tend to pick non-peak hours when going to the Lido.

I knew this would get over discussed lol - and mis understood - but thought I would try

Thank you for the reasonable responses and for those of you who thought we were going to RESERVE a table for hours - sorry you didn't under stand the post

6 people show up at oh 12:30 - find a table- place our napkins on the chair (I like that idea) or my sweater or hat etc to show it is taken - we get our food -(take 10 mins or so) and then we sit and eat - together ish

We then get up and leave -- table free

I did not misunderstand. I just realize the reality that if everyone did what you're suggesting that the congestion in the Lido will be worse because every table is sitting there unused but reserved for 10 minutes or so.

Here is what I would do - Take the entire group of six into the main dining room for breakfast and lunch.
That works if the MDR is open for lunch (it isn't every day) and the group doesn't want to eat breakfast before the MDR opens in the morning. Personally I don't like eating either of those meals in the MDR. Edited by catl331

Holding a table during busy times , with a person or item takes that table out of rotation for a longer time than if everyone just gets their food then find a idle table , finishes then leaves .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would agree if the table being held is for more than 2 or 3 people. Otherwise, I don't think that the 5 mins or so it takes the first person to get their food is going to make a huge difference in how long the table is out of rotation.:)

I knew this would get over discussed lol - and mis understood - but thought I would try

Thank you for the reasonable responses and for those of you who thought we were going to RESERVE a table for hours - sorry you didn't under stand the post

6 people show up at oh 12:30 - find a table- place our napkins on the chair (I like that idea) or my sweater or hat etc to show it is taken - we get our food -(take 10 mins or so) and then we sit and eat - together ish

We then get up and leave -- table free

Thanks again for your opinions

At a busy time , that still is an extra 10 minutes that the table is unavailable to other guests ?

I only responded to this post after a week aboard the Oosterdam , searching for a breakfast table , or waiting for a table to be bussed (that is a HAL staffing problem ).

Edited by MCC retired

Actually, it's part of a standard procedure shown to me by a HAL steward. It is what they are taught.

The passenger should tip the chair, so it leans against the table, and the napkin is draped across the chair back. At times I have stepped away, told the steward I was returning, and the steward did that for me, without my asking.

I do not see any problem with saving a table for the 5 minutes (or so) it takes to get your food, especially if you have a group.

What I do object to is people playing cards and tying up a table during the busy times. Saw this two weeks ago on our cruise. Very inconsiderate.

Here is what I would do - Take the entire group of six into the main dining room for breakfast and lunch.

The dining room isn't always open for lunch, so that's out.

The dining room isn't open extended hours for breakfast, so that won't work, either, if everyone in the group doesn't want to fit into the narrow schedule when it is open.

When we do not cruise on vacations we go to Disney. They block off the entrances to tables and do not allow anyone in until they have their food. Prior to that you would see many many people with trays walking around searching for a table while people without food were at the tables.

Too often the same thing happens at the lido.

Fact #1: HAL has crammed so many pax onto some of the ships while not increasing the Lido capacity, that tables are frequently not available at peak times.

Fact #2: It is impolite and inconsiderate to occupy a table while others go and get their food.

Fact #3: So many people do this that if you don't you'll never get a table together.

Fact #4: The best way to fight fire is with fire, so we do it when we have to.

Fact #5: It is sad that it's come to this. Cruising used to be fun and relaxing. Now things like this increase the aggravation factor.

Fact #6: In more general terms, the Neanderthal factor continues to increase on cruise ships.

Fact #1: HAL has crammed so many pax onto some of the ships while not increasing the Lido capacity, that tables are frequently not available at peak times.

Fact #2: It is impolite and inconsiderate to occupy a table while others go and get their food.

Fact #3: So many people do this that if you don't you'll never get a table together.

Fact #5: It is sad that it's come to this. Cruising used to be fun and relaxing. Now things like this increase the aggravation factor.

Fact #6: In more general terms, the Neanderthal factor continues to increase on cruise ships.

And on the other hand:

1. Adding aft cabins is not "cramming in people" on ships, nor is the Lido the only dining option.

2. Learn when the peak times are, and work around them. Or chose an alternative dining venue: Dive-In, Nacho Bar, after deck NY Pizza and pre-made salads, room service, MDR, grab and go sandwiches.

3. It is perfectly reasonable to occupy or mark a table while others or even yourself are visiting the buffet line.

4. Best to follow the "wisdom of crowds" because that is the nature of being on a ship with a group of people - which is a voluntary choice, not a forced march.

5. Cruising is fun, relaxing and unfortunately also fattening. We never starve.

6. Unknown reference.

Edited by OlsSalt

When it's really busy, hubby and I just plan to meet by the lido pool after we get our food. There is almost always an empty table there.

I'm impressed that you can find a place to eat by the Lido pool. Very seldom can we find a place there for either breakfast or lunch. It's often people CAMPING OUT, reading, knitting, playing cards or games. Inside is also a crap shoot with people camping out. Have to admit that my favorite benefit of the Neptune lounge was not dealing with Lido for the entire cruise.

On our charter on the Koningsdam in 4 weeks the dining room will not be open for breakfast (with people partying late it was underutilized usually) so we have the Lido as the main breakfast location. There will be two brunches in the dining room - one for RSVP alumni with a certain number of cruises, and one for everyone.

Fans of breakfast in the dining room aren't too happy, but we seldom have breakfast there.

I am sure we will cope. :) I hope not too many people figure out about the Grand Dutch Cafe! ;) And then there is always room service.

As for getting tables in the Lido: DH and I both go get our food and then try to find a table - and each other! Since we also know so many people on the ship we often join others already at a table.

And on the other hand:

1. Adding aft cabins is not "cramming in people" on ships, nor is the Lido the only dining option.

2. Learn when the peak times are, and work around them. Or chose an alternative dining venue: Dive-In, Nacho Bar, after deck NY Pizza and pre-made salads, room service, MDR, grab and go sandwiches.

3. It is perfectly reasonable to occupy or mark a table while others or even yourself are visiting the buffet line.

4. Best to follow the "wisdom of crowds" because that is the nature of being on a ship with a group of people - which is a voluntary choice, not a forced march.

5. Cruising is fun, relaxing and unfortunately also fattening. We never starve.

6. Unknown reference.

Of course adding cabins - often by converting former public areas for the purpose - does increase the passenger load using the same - possibly decreased- former public space, certainly can be seen as " cramming".

What in the world does "follow the wisdom of crowds" mean?

Item 6: the "Neanderthal" reference most likely is talking about the "evolving" nature and attitude of the typical cruiser.

Of course adding cabins - often by converting former public areas for the purpose - does increase the passenger load using the same - possibly decreased- former public space, certainly can be seen as " cramming".

What in the world does "follow the wisdom of crowds" mean?

Item 6: the "Neanderthal" reference most likely is talking about the "evolving" nature and attitude of the typical cruiser.

We see lots of under-utilized public space all throughout the ship. On every cruise, which is not to say some spaces at some times are heavily impacted temporarily. So "cramming in" more passengers still does not overwhelm much of the public space, except in this one discrete area. I assume that is why they wanted to spread out the other dining option venues at the same time.

However, I also agree it is often hard to impossible to get outdoor seating. Nature of the venue. But often with a little waiting they open up. Chair hogs, now that is another story. House rules - 20 minutes or out. Except few dare to enforce it.

"Wisdom of crowds" is both a book and a term of art. If crowds naturally mark a table and then go to the buffet in sufficient numbers, others will adapt around them.

It is primarily an effect of the current increased digital connectivity that now forms random "crowds", that in turn become perhaps unwitting "movements" when critical numbers share the same "wisdom".

And sometimes it might be hard to discern that "wisdom", but when a critical common wisdom is achieved, it may need a little more digging to see what it really represents. Otherwise the "crowd" would not form.

Try not to attach negative or positive qualities to the "wisdom" part of the term - maybe calling it a deep "knowing" at the collective archetypal level describes it best.

Not clear why the reference Neanderthal was made. Too obscure - OP needs to make his point with more clarity, rather than subtle references subject to misinterpretations ...or perhaps I am missing the "wisdom of crowds" who immediately understand what he is saying. I'll vote for that. It seemed like a gratuitous put down of some sort, and unnecessary so I took a pass.

Edited by OlsSalt

We enjoy the Lido for breakfast and lunch! The MDR is very limited in our opinion, both for time it's open and for selections. I never considered it a difficulty to eat int he Lido!

There are a few places (I haven't been on all ships, so i"m making an extrapolation here) with tables for larger parties. I think that if you have a group of 6 you could inform the wait staff that you would like to have your party sit there and they will hold the table while you each find your individual delights! They will help you, they will also bring drink to you all. If you have trouble finding a table I think they can be of assistance.

Go enjoy! The Lido is a veritable Cornucopia of wonderful foods from around the world! m--

If you look at the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, HAL has added aft cabins as well as two decks of cabins aft of the Crow's Nest, on the same hull as the Vista ships, which were already pretty much at capacity. They have not expanded the capacity of the dining venues or public spaces at all. In fact, some areas have been repurposed to exclude most passengers unless they pay for access. If you don't think "crammed" is the appropriate verb, perhaps "stuffed" is a better descriptor.

As for the Neanderthal factor, that is a term I coined a while back. It refers to the increasing level of riff raff and generally uncouth behaviour that comes with lower fares and increased access to the proletariat.

Once a few years ago a guy showed up at the dining room just ahead of us dressed in a red "Joe the Plummer" tank top, shorts and flip flops. QED. (He was denied entry, thankfully.)

sounds like you need another way to vacation - very unhappy with cruising.

We still love it- all of it Cruising is still very fun and wonderfully relaxing to us !!!!!

We aren't planning on holding the table for hours LOL -- just long enough for all of us to get a sandwich and eat together instead of shifts

Don't worry about it one bit and don't be bothered by "holier than thou" attitudes. Everyone likes to eat their food hot and friends like to eat together ---------the only way to do it in the Lido is to have your spot marked out first.

For saving a table for six, it might be easier if two people held the table while the others went for food. Two people saving a table for six is no different than having three people spread out over the Lido, each holding a place for one other.

As for the Neanderthal factor, that is a term I coined a while back. It refers to the increasing level of riff raff and generally uncouth behaviour that comes with lower fares and increased access to the proletariat.
So you've crafted the parameters of a class conflict. On one side are those you consider "the proletariat", having the gall to feel that they deserve access to leisure as themselves, given that they've earned the money and paid the fare. On the other side are, I suppose, "the aristocracy", having the gall to feel that they deserve to impose their values and expectations onto "the proletariat" because they were able to afford certain things first. The conflict could have been crafted a number of other ways, based on racial differences, differences of nationality or ethnicity, mother tongue, political persuasion, etc.

The question is: Must differences necessarily be crafted, as you have, as conflicts? Can't differences simply be regarded as differences, without rancor, without antipathy, and without applying a pejorative like "Neanderthal"? My neighbors have the same exact townhouse as we have, yet ours is furnished modern and theirs is furnished quite traditional. Must we therefore avoid social interaction with each other? Can't we regard a social occasion at their home in the context of appreciating the positive aspects of traditional decor, and they regard a social occasion at our home in the context of appreciating the positive aspects of modern decor? Or, at the very least, not foster ill feelings for each other because of our different values?

And let's be clear: The "aristocratic" on-board experiences are still available. We're beginning to see many "ship within a ship" arrangements being offered, as well as a number of cruise lines that didn't exist twenty years ago that are offering these more "aristocratic" on-board experiences almost exclusively. It just takes money, as well it should since that is the the differential that you yourself highlighted, referring to today's lower fares.

The problem of crowding exists throughout the travel and hospitality industry. It's a parameter that service providers carefully control. We've seen, on airlines especially, what the impact is of a little bit of free market, i.e., profitable leveraging of consumer behaviors can readily result in a rush to the bottom. I never thought that a child of my mother would choose something other than the lowest price offered for something, but I just booked flights in Premium Economy, because the offering that reflects the bargain-hunting behaviors of the typical consumer was too uncomfortable for me to bear.

I don't resent those who choose to fly Basic Economy. They don't owe me their deference, so that airlines wouldn't crunch seats together so much. Just like I don't resent those who have turned the upper deck of cruise ships into a discotheque and a sports club, and more recently an amusement park and movie theater. I can still find a quiet place up top to sit in the sun and read a book, even if I have to pay a little more for it. And even if I couldn't, that's not the fault of the people who enjoy playing basketball, or sliding down a flume.

Back to the topic: Saving a table. Remarkably, my family and I have always differed about this. Having taught the mathematics in college that underpins the rationale for not saving tables, I always was oppose to it. And paradoxically it seemed to me that my family always seemed to decide I was the right person to "hold the fort", holding tables at a cafeteria, holding seats in a theater, etc.

I've had to moderate my perspective on this over the decades. Perhaps some of it is how much I've learned about human nature and especially about priorities greater than that which mathematics would dictate. I recognize that it is the host's responsibility to set the standard expectation of behavior and conscientiously enforce it if it is critical to do so. There are buffet restaurants that are deliberately designed so that you must go through the buffet first to get your food before reaching the dining room where you can find a seat. The host has made clear that saving tables was not appropriate. In other places, there is a placard at the entry stating the expectation. Barring those indicators, the host is saying, "Welcome, guest; Do as you see fit given your own priorities."