Musician will be working on Celebrity, some questions

intlmuso

Hi cruisers!

I'm thinking this would be the best place to get this info, hope I'm right!

I'm a musician that will be doing a contract on a Celebrity ship this summer and I need some info that my agent has been vague about, seems he doesn't really know the answer.

My question is: In what form are entertainers on Celebrity currently selling their music? Are people still selling CD's only? Has anyone been selling music in digital form via digital download, USB drive, SD card etc? Are people selling their product at their venues or only available in the gift shop?

The answer I have received from my agent is that its only CD's. But can that be right? I mean do people still buy physical CD's in 2017??

Also, what is the average price a musical act is selling their music these days? And what do you think is a fair price? Ours would be 20 songs, 11 originals and 9 covers, professionally recorded and digitally mastered.

Really appreciate your answers, will help us offer the best form that cruisers would actually want to buy and at a fair price.

Hi cruisers!

I'm a musician that will be doing a contract on a Celebrity ship this summer and I need some info that my agent has been vague about, seems he doesn't really know the answer.

My question is: In what form are entertainers on Celebrity currently selling their music? Are people still selling CD's only? Has anyone been selling music in digital form via digital download, USB drive, SD card etc? Are people selling their product at their venues or only available in the gift shop?

The answer I have received from my agent is that its only CD's. But can that be right? I mean do people still buy physical CD's in 2017??

Also, what is the average price a musical act is selling their music these days? And what do you think is a fair price? Ours would be 20 songs, 11 originals and 9 covers, professionally recorded and digitally mastered.

Really appreciate your answers, will help us offer the best form that cruisers would actually want to buy and at a fair price.

I can't answer your questions but welcome to Cruise Critic. However I still buy CDs. ;o)

Edited by davekathy

Many solo performers, including lecturers, sell CDs and books onboard. They usually set up a table on deck 4 at the Theater entrance/exit where they sell and autograph materials. Someone from the ship runs the Seapass card for payment. Also sold in the liquor shop. I've only seen books and CDs. Prices vary but $20 sounds right for a CD. Many also provide cards with social media information and can sell directly to passenger if their contract permits.

Hi cruisers!

Just left the Eclipse last month and all I heard mentioned by the entertainers was CDs for sale. They were only offered immediately outside the theater after the respective shows. Didn't see or hear anything about digital offerings. Sorry, I don't know the prices.

I've only ever seen CDs on sale.

I think they usually charge $20, but I don't know if they get it. I wouldn't buy any CD for $20.

I only have been to one cruise and didn't see any musician there. But I see a lot of them at Santa Monica or other tourist places and they usually charge around $15 to $20 for the CDs. I never seen people actually buying them though.. most just go look.. ask for the price and say thanks and left.

I would think on the cruise ship it would be even more difficult to sell CDs. A ship hold like 2800 passengers? Probably less than 10% will actually get to see the musician's performance. And maybe 50% of them will like it enough to ask for the price of the CD. So that's about 140 people. Of those, I think less than 10% will actually buy the CD even of the price is fair. So you will sell about 14 CDs max on the whole trip...

$20 for 20 sings is $1 per song. Same rate is iTunes for most music. Seems legit. And yes, I'm aware in iTunes I can choose individual songs without having to purchase the whole album so it's not a 1-1 comparison, but the math still works out.

Sure. But I can pay half that for an album of songs by an artist I know and love.

So one can decide if they want to pay $20 for a souvenir or to help support an upcoming artist - both are legitimate reasons for buying a CD on a cruise ship.

But for me, personally, I would be more likely to buy the souvenir/support the artist, if it were less than $20.

My sister is a guest entertainer on various cruise ships and she sells CD's and DVD's on board for $20 each.

As someone already mentioned, they usually have a table set up outside the main theatre where a crew member sells the CD's for her via their sea pass cards while she greets the passengers. She usually autographs them as well. I believe she has to pay the crew member to do that, but I have no idea how much. In addition, they sell the CD's in one of the shops on the ship. All the money collected from the sales is hers to keep.

If you are working around the ship and not in the main theatre, I'd assume that the only place you would sell your merchandise would be in the gift shop. As for the various items you want to sell, I'd say your agent should be able to find that out for you by contacting the cruise line.

Good Luck.

Linda

Hi. It really depends upon your contract. What you have heard here are people's experience as a passenger and one of a relative/friend of an entertainer.

I would not depend upon anything your read here. Look at your contract and tell your agent to get the answers for you. That's his/her job! f possible, get it in writing. You might also get names/contact info from your agent for other recent entertainers.

Also, posting here (as an employee of Celebrity) is really frowned on by the company (according to other Celebrity employees). So, I would caution you to explore this before posting any more.

Hi. It really depends upon your contract. What you have heard here are people's experience as a passenger and one of a relative/friend of an entertainer.

I would not depend upon anything your read here. Look at your contract and tell your agent to get the answers for you. That's his/her job! f possible, get it in writing. You might also get names/contact info from your agent for other recent entertainers.

Also, posting here (as an employee of Celebrity) is really frowned on by the company (according to other Celebrity employees). So, I would caution you to explore this before posting any more.

Agree! Good advice.

I know there are still people who listen to CDs, but pretty much everyone in my family and close friends are listening to streaming music like Spotify. If I am a musician, I would definitely try to put my music on Spotify or other streaming channels and give out my information (album name, etc..) during the performance. That way people could find you on their streaming service and play your song over and over again. This is what my wife and son do.. driving me crazy. And then my other friends hear the song and play it over and over themselves....

Celebrity Summit is about to embark on several weeks of full charter music theme cruises (Blue Note at Sea, The Jazz Cruise, The Smooth Jazz Cruise)...the names artists sell their CD' (yes they sell a lot of them, which may be a function of the age demographics and many artists distribute their music thru CD Baby) DVD's & Books after their concerts and at Q&A sessions which is probably thru an arrangement with Celebrity/the Promoter/Artist

have no clue the arrangement on a non charter (regular cruise)...have you contact your local Musicians Lodge to find out if they can give you guidelines...I would guess that most cruise lines contract their musicians thru an arrangements with a specialized service

good luck

If I like an artist on a ship and they are selling a cd, I will definitely buy it (or them). I have purchased cd's for every cruise I have been on EXCEPT the most recent Celebrity cruise, and that is because none of the performers were selling any that I saw or heard mention of. I say you'd be crazy not to!

If I liked the artist, I would buy their CD (Yes, that -- and vinyl -- are how I still listen to music). We were on Summit, right after Jordan Peterson released his first CD. I bought one, and Jordan autographed it -- as well as performing my favorite song from it. Now, it's one of my favorite cruise mementos -- well worth every penny I paid! :cool:

I have brought CD from the musicans on board over the years. This past summer the Rock Tenors were on board for one night only. They sold their CD for $20 after the show. They left the ship the next day. I hear they are playing Veags now.

Good luck.

What type of music do you play and what instrument?

I only have been to one cruise and didn't see any musician there. But I see a lot of them at Santa Monica or other tourist places and they usually charge around $15 to $20 for the CDs. I never seen people actually buying them though.. most just go look.. ask for the price and say thanks and left.

I would think on the cruise ship it would be even more difficult to sell CDs. A ship hold like 2800 passengers? Probably less than 10% will actually get to see the musician's performance. And maybe 50% of them will like it enough to ask for the price of the CD. So that's about 140 people. Of those, I think less than 10% will actually buy the CD even of the price is fair. So you will sell about 14 CDs max on the whole trip...

I think your estimate of <10% of people seeing a musician is waaaay off. On all Celebrity and Princess cruises I have been on the theater is almost full and there are 2 shows i.e. probably 1500 - 1800 people seeing the show.

Recently I heard a performer (evening show) say that he doesn't sell CDs after the show since X takes 30% commission. He said togo to Amazon and order it.

I never thought about the cut that X takes, but now I do....Something for you to research.

Good luck in your musical career!!

........Also, posting here (as an employee of Celebrity) is really frowned on by the company (according to other Celebrity employees). So, I would caution you to explore this before posting any more.

The family of one of the popular cruise ship entertainers used to post here to promote his appearances and urge people to attend.

AFAIK, he was the only entertainer on Celebrity cruises whose family did that.

I have not seen any posts from them recently, so perhaps they were told to stop, or else he is no longer performing on Celebrity ships (or else I just missed seeing their posts).

I buy CDs from live artists frequently; like vinyl, I consider a CD a quaint collectable. Add the artist's autograph on the jewel case insert and it's a great way to remember the experience when you "discovered" the artist.

Supporting individual artists you like is part of the equation too. Even if X takes 30%, I think the artist's 70% share is more than he gets from record companies.

Edited by fshagan

Recently I heard a performer (evening show) say that he doesn't sell CDs after the show since X takes 30% commission. He said togo to Amazon and order it.

I never thought about the cut that X takes, but now I do....Something for you to research.

Good luck in your musical career!!

If he sold his CDs through normal commercial channels, what percentage of the total cost per CD would he get to keep. I bet that it would be much less than 70%. Getting even 70% seems like a good deal for the artist to me.

DON

Although I've usually seen CD's for sale by the acts in the ensemble lounge, I'd love to see a digital version offered. My car's MMI can take CD's, but they don't upload to the hard drive easily, it's much easier to upload them either via bluetooth from my iPhone, or even easier from a flash drive... it also takes an SD card for uploads which is pretty old school :)

Anyhow, my vote is for a digital version, but I agree with other posters, check your contract.

good luck with time on Celebrity!

Why not offer both formats? I would guess the fraction of the audience who want a digital-only version is going to be very small based on demographics. Most cruisers tend to be 50s and older and are solidly middle class. They drive cars with CD players. Many do use digital formats but those who do are savvy enough to create a digital file from the CD. I am early 40s and do still buy CDs. If I need a digital version, it's easy to rip the file to the computer. I hardly ever buy digital-only copies for that reason.

It's not unusual for venues to take a cut off the top. Your agent should be able to tell you that percentage up front. If you already have a stock of merchandise to sell, I'd bring it to sell rather than referring people to your website. Follow-through on that is going to be low.

Edited by bEwAbG