Dress code inconsistency

thon

I chuckle at all the discussion...and yet here I go joining in. I laughed when I read "designer jeans". I can't believe no one has mentioned that the big thing in expensive "designer" jeans lately is the shredded, torn, ripped up look. So...is it no ripped or torn jeans or "designer"? Sort of an oxymoron today! Whatever. Wear what makes you happy and fits in as best you can to the guidelines and let others do the same.:);):rolleyes:

I always laughed at designer jeans, I can wear my $17.95 Kirkland Jeans from Costco, put my t shirt over the label and you couldn't tell the difference from jeans costing over $100.

I always laughed at designer jeans, I can wear my $17.95 Kirkland Jeans from Costco, put my t shirt over the label and you couldn't tell the difference from jeans costing over $100.

You most certainly can tell the difference! Our Kirkland jeans are $17.95 because they come without holes and tears as opposed to the "designer " jeans that come with the ragged, holey, torn, worn look for $100+.;);)

One thing I noticed in the first daily (embarkation day) posted by WonderMan3 was that it listed 3 Evening Chic nights, not the 2 listed on Celebrity's site. Does anyone have any information on this?

We've done the 14 day Eclipse itinerary for the last 3 or 4 years and it's ALWAYS been 3 formal or evening chic nights.

What a surprise :eek: that the website is wrong. :p

We've done the 14 day Eclipse itinerary for the last 3 or 4 years and it's ALWAYS been 3 formal or evening chic nights.

What a surprise :eek: that the website is wrong. :p

Thanks, just checking. I'm not one to believe the website or the phone folks at Celebrity. Always better to check with CC, who usually has the most current info.

How selfish!

How wude! :D

Just as you think it is selfish of someone to "dress down" and apparently ruin your cruise because they don't fit with your image of everyone on board dressed up in their black tie best, someone else could say it is selfish of you to impose your views of what everyone should be wearing on them.

Everyone should just wear what they want. Why does cruising seem to bring out the worst in people? I've never stayed at, say, a Disney hotel, and felt the need to pass my opinion on whether or not the people at the table next to me were dressed appropriately.

It's become a wear what you want environment in the MDR. On last trip a gentleman was wearing shorts, a polo shirt, and a blazer to the MDR and was stopped at the door by the staff who commented that "technically you shouldn't be wearing shorts in the MDR". His response was, then I guess you didn't see me and he walked right by. On Evening Chic night there were several people wearing jeans.

No need to change the terminology unless Celebrity starts to enforce dress codes. Everyone just needs to understand that what you choose to wear might not be the same as other folks.

If the cruise lines would just enforce at the door (MDR), the policy guidelines posted on their web sites. No tank tops, shorts, swim suits, then this discussion is mute. Yes it is your cruise, but they have policies and rules for a reason. Do you still smoke in your cabin, even though their policy forbides it, you may say I paid for my cabin, I can do what I want. Sure it is your vacation, but if you want to cruise casual, then cruise on those lines that don't have posted suggestions. I saw a man on one of my cruises in the MDR wear the same t shirt every night, unless he had 10 of the same shirt (possible), felt sorry for others that sat with him, especially since they dressed appropriately. It is possible that his luggage got lost, but I think the ship would have possibly provided him with other attire at least one of their 10 dollar tee shirts. Thought I would check out Celebrity on cruise critic since I am thinking of changing from loyal to Royal, but so far topics are different. (Whether or not to use fork face up or down?) Have my skin fire retardant protected, flame away.

Just as you think it is selfish of someone to "dress down" and apparently ruin your cruise because they don't fit with your image of everyone on board dressed up in their black tie best, someone else could say it is selfish of you to impose your views of what everyone should be wearing on them.

Everyone should just wear what they want. Why does cruising seem to bring out the worst in people? I've never stayed at, say, a Disney hotel, and felt the need to pass my opinion on whether or not the people at the table next to me were dressed appropriately.

What's appropriately, does the hotel post guidelines or is it your standard? If there is no standard, it's nobody's business. I know, it's your vacation and nobody can tell you how to dress even though it's their establishment you are using.

. I saw a man on one of my cruises in the MDR wear the same t shirt every night, unless he had 10 of the same shirt (possible), felt sorry for others that sat with him, especially since they dressed appropriately. It is possible that his luggage got lost, but I think the ship would have possibly provided him with other attire at least one of their 10 dollar tee shirts.

Usually my first thought when I hear someone proudly proclaim they do 10+ day cruises with just one carry-on that fits in the overhead.

• 2 weeks later...

Standards have to be met in many areas of life. If a cruise line has a dress code then they should enforce it for the benefit of those who do comply. There are many people who do not want to dress for dinner. They should find a cruise line that is accepting of them, baseball caps, shorts and all.

I've never stayed in a Disney hotel and never will!

They should find a cruise line that is accepting of them, baseball caps, shorts and all.

!

Or, there's always the buffet, where Celebrity is doing a nice job switching things up nightly in the Oceanview...t-shirts and shorts welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They might get our business back if X comes to their senses and re-establishes this important cruise tradition.

As others have chimed in, I believe they stand to lose a lot more than gain by reverting to the old dress code. And there are other cruiselines that do cater to those who see this as an "important cruise tradition". They will be happy to have your business.

I never understand why anyone would travel with jewelry. Its such a risk in personal safety. I never travel with jewelry aside from a 2mm plain wedding band. You are asking for trouble traveling with jewels.

What are your fears regarding personal safety? I'm curious, where do you wear your jewelry and feel safe?

. There are many people who do not want to dress for dinner. They should find a cruise line that is accepting of them, baseball caps, shorts and all.

I've never stayed in a Disney hotel and never will!

That cruise line is called Celebrity and they can dine in the Ocean View Café. Stop trying to run off business!

They might get our business back if X comes to their senses and re-establishes this important cruise tradition.

I got news for you buddy. The world has moved on and you are no longer part of Celebrity's target market. They don't care in the least if you choose to sail with them again or not. They won't do a U turn on evening chic, it's here to stay.

You have plenty of other choices though which fit your needs so it's not an issue.

I agree. REMOVE THE CAP.

and you can believe HE would be the one moving to a different table or OUT of the dining room.

No questions and ship staff would support my opinion.

Bob

Just to get my two cents in, I loved formal nights on cruising. I miss it terribly and enjoyed seeing all the men in their tuxes and the ladies with their best dresses and jewelry. I do understand why the cruise lines have made the changes. Trying to attract younger cruisers that will some day be older cruisers and bring their children.

We are cruisers for a long time. I don't mind the chic nights at all. There are still people that will wear the tuxes and the gowns and they look amazing. To each his own. We no longer bring formal wear. We dress for dinner. Casual during the day. Have seen others go to the dining room like they just rolled out of bed, to each his own. Don't see the reason for other to be offended, we are all on vacation. Enjoy it and wear what makes you comfortable.

Ditto, well said[emoji4]

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app