Birth Certificates for kids?

chriscec2012

We are taking our kids on their first cruise at the end of February. We have never purchased the kids a passport so are birth certificates ok for them? Kids are 13 & 12. Any other form of ID needed since they don't have a photo ID?

Thanks

Just want to emphasize the need to have 'official' birth certificates. The souvenir ones many hospitals use with feet prints are not 'official'.

You need the ones you get from county registrar (or such entity in your community). Frequently, these will have an embossed 'seal'. Some school districts require 'official' copies of the certificates so you may have these on hand. These are the same certificates you will need if/when you do decide to get Passports for them.

Didn't want you to get to port only to be denied boarding. Have fun. The kids will have a blast.

We are taking our kids on their first cruise at the end of February. We have never purchased the kids a passport so are birth certificates ok for them? Kids are 13 & 12. Any other form of ID needed since they don't have a photo ID?

Thanks

Nothing else is needed. Just the Birth Certificates issued by a Government authority, cannot be from the hospital. Only ages 16 and up need a photo ID.

It should be noted that if there is an emergency and you all have to fly home for whatever reason, you will not be able to fly with your children without a passport. The birth certificate is only for the closed loop cruise. You'll be stuck having to try to get emergency travel authorizations if something happens that interrupts your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all. We definitely have the stamped birth certificates for both. We actually have a state issued photo id for one child but not the 2nd, my son was required to have a DMV issued id for aau sports.

You are good to check-in for your cruise then.

It should be noted that if there is an emergency and you all have to fly home for whatever reason, you will not be able to fly with your children without a passport. The birth certificate is only for the closed loop cruise. You'll be stuck having to try to get emergency travel authorizations if something happens that interrupts your cruise.

While this is true, OP really has no other choice at this point unless they want to drive to a passport authority. With less than a month to go it's not a practical idea to mail their BC in that they need for the cruise.

While this is true, OP really has no other choice at this point unless they want to drive to a passport authority. With less than a month to go it's not a practical idea to mail their BC in that they need for the cruise.

True. Forgot that aspect. Well, for next time, definitely get those passports.

While this is true, if there is an issue with the ship that requires a flight back to U.S., Carnival will handle all the details. This happened in 2012 when the Dream spent a few extra days in St. Maarten and ultimately arranged flights for all back to the States. Many on that sailing did not have passports.

If the family finds themselves needing to fly back to the States mid-cruise, not having passports for the kids is probably the least of their worries. If this was common, the boards would be plastered with horror stories.

The OP can also expedite their passports and could have them much sooner, if they're willing to pay the expedited price! However, as others have said, the birth certificate is sufficient if you're willing to accept the minimal risk of needing to fly home from another country without a passport for them. Again, as others have said, should that need arise I've seen many occasions when Carnival will do everything they can to help the passenger get the documentation needed,

...but certified by the state and will have an official state stamp.

California's BCs are held at the county level. Including the County Seal. No longer a stamp or embossing but on special paper. Same for wedding and death certificates.

Edited by SadieN

We took our kids (11, 14) on their first cruise last June. We used only their birth certificates and had no problems at all. Doing it again this June.

They'll love it. Mine did, which is why we're going again this year[emoji6]. And of course we do too!!