New Cruise Critic Format

Host Jazzbeau

I have just been informed that the new forum platform design will begin rolling out this afternoon. Some members will see the new style immediately, while the rest continue to see the old style. If you access Cruise Critic from more than one device, you may see the new style on one and the old style on the other. Sorry for the confusion! [And no, I don't know why they are doing it this way.] They do promise that the new format will be available to all shortly.

I have been using it for several weeks now on my computer, and I think it's a great improvement. [There were a couple of minor things I didn't like, but they fixed them during the beta phase.] All the information is the same, but the display code is different -- much more modern, open, larger type, and signatures are abbreviated until you click for more. If anything seems confusing, pause your mouse and see if a roll-over explanation pops up. If you're still confused, please post a question here and I will try to answer.

• 2 weeks later...
I was informed today that the new format has now been rolled out to all users in all formats. It's here to stay.

Yes, understand that "it" is here to stay. BUT, I strongly urge having more color and/or shaded background at the top to help separate those certain older, "always there" items at the top . . . versus . . . the "new" stuff that we are seeking and needing to see more quickly.

Personally, I was happy with the previous design, BUT, I also understand the CC management challenge. Like it or not, the world is moving more and more towards to the smaller, more mobile devices such as iPhones. Cruise Critic needed and could operate just one design and lay-out, not two or three different digital operations for larger laptops vs. iPad/tablets vs. phone devices.

If you understand the "WHY??" that might help those currently unhappy to better understand and realize the needs to make these changes.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 29,436 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

I hated it at first, but I have to admit it's easier to see and I'm getting used to some of the new things. One thing I miss and I mentioned it when the format first appeared in late January: I miss not having the last time I posted on the upper right hand corner....but I do like having the time and date I posted a response at the top of the post.

That's the one thing that seems to have got lost. I now open river cruises in a new tab so I can go back to the roll calls easily. Otherwise I agree with those that find they have to search for the neginning of new non-sticky posts.

I hated it at first, but I have to admit it's easier to see and I'm getting used to some of the new things. One thing I miss and I mentioned it when the format first appeared in late January: I miss not having the last time I posted on the upper right hand corner....but I do like having the time and date I posted a response at the top of the post.

That was a request we made during the beta period. You can see the time and date you last posted by clicking on the down arrow to the right of your name at the top of the screen -- a drop-down menu shows that information [and doesn't take you off the page you're on].

I'm only seeing last visited, not last posted there.

Sorry, yeah that's what it shows. To get to the list of your own posts is now more complicated than before. I had to go to "Your Profile" in that drop-down box, then "Statistics," then "Find all posts..." This is the one change that I consider a problem.

I have to say I'm using this site less since the change.

The vast spread of 'white' with little shading or delineation just adds to eye strain.

These changes added nothing that I can see is useful and rendered an easy to use site less useful and actively stressful to navigate.

The version on my phone is different than on my tablet. Phone version offers less detail on the home page and takes more clicks to get to the posts. Not a fan of either version but the phone is not friendly at all. Old version was the same no matter which device I was using so easier to navigate.