Bidding on Upsells

cruisingxpert

What a bad idea. Since suites sell out first-it will be for the lower end cabins.

Well, if suites sell out first, they wouldn't be open for an upsell anyway. Right? I don't like the idea and do hope that it does not spread to Oceania and Regent. Unlike Oceania and Regent, I would imagine that bidding on an upsell on NCL would be bidding in hundreds of dollars rather than thousands.

Yuck. Not very upscale concept.

To some extent we have always "bid"

If our ta gets offer we often counter. If another passenger with a different ta is willing to pay what o originally offered, they get the upsell

Our ta always negotiated

I dislike the ncl approach

We no longer wait for upsells. We just book the suite we want.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I didn't know that airlines are doing this. The recent change on some airlines that I find extremely aggravating is that the first price that shows up isn't what you think. It's a ticket, but not a seat! :eek: Then you have to pay up for a seat assignment, then a Comfort Plus seat (or whatever the chosen airline is calling "a few more inches"), and then Business or First Class. :rolleyes: And then there are the luggage fees. Thankfully, First Class and overseas flights are still throwing those fees in with the fare.

It would have never occurred to me to "bargain" with the upsell fairy and bid for a lower rate when we were recently offered an upsell from B to PH. We did turn down the first couple of offers, but then then made an offer that was half of the first two. We took the bait. Now I wonder if we should have countered?

I have been cruising on Oceania since 2004. My husband and I have never been offered an upgrade or upsell. Why do some people get several offers and long time O cruisers get none?

Joan and Bob

Do you use a ta?

Do you book a cabin that is in demand? Or cruises that are unique and may be oversold?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

+1

The thing to remember is that Up-sells and/or Up-grades happen primarily because the Cruise Line wants to re-sell a popular cabin to another prospective client..

That means that the passenger receiving the offer must have reserved a cabin for which demand is high, think extended veranda on the O class ships, or else, be sailing on a cruise which is selling like hotcakes because of the itinerary, the "Circle Britain" cruises, for example.

I'm not denying that the Up-Sell process has a promotional component; Oceania hopes that guests who sail in a Penthouse once, won't ever want to go back to a standard cabin, again; but getting the original offer requires that the cabin one is holding has significant resale potential.

Interesting article. Looks like they are following Airlines that are doing this.

http://www.travelandtourworld.com/news/article/passengers-on-norwegian-cruise-line-set-to-bid-on-cabin-upgrades/

As a frequent flyer for some 40 + years I have not seen the airlines do bidding for up grades at least with UAL and star alliance. I have seen bidding wars in time shares... but not airlines You get upgrades for free based on frequency of flights, status in the program and Dollars spent. Otherwise, you get upgrades for a fixed published number of miles yo spend...its not rubber rates. Never ever seen bidding in airlines.

In the mass market bottom end world, people shop for the lowest rate and are easily cajoled to buy up to match their egos.

In the luxury world people dont behave the same way. Up sells if any are given to Agents who produce and are time sensitive, not a bidding war but simple direct here the offer is..take it or leave it. Same with down sells. It is an entirely different market segment O and Regent are in with entirely different people.

Edited by Hawaiidan

As a frequent flyer for some 40 + years I have not seen the airlines do bidding for up grades at least with UAL and star alliance. I have seen bidding wars in time shares... but not airlines You get upgrades for free based on frequency of flights, status in the program and Dollars spent. Otherwise, you get upgrades for a fixed published number of miles yo spend...its not rubber rates. Never ever seen bidding in airlines.

Always a first time. I hadn't seen it either til it was offered to me by Air Canada , a Star Alliance member

31db4d2d443e12c47d66caf9012a3776.jpg

68589057659b410e7f7acbcb7a5f3318.jpg

fa3be0627535218b8e3e9e316827563a.jpg spacer.gif With AC Bid Upgrade you can enhance your travel experience by enjoying priority services, added comfort and the in‑flight amenities of a higher cabin class. One or more of your upcoming flight(s) are eligible for bids: Bid now

By the way, it wasn't a great deal. It had a scale that you could move and it would say whether your bid was fair or good. There was a minimum start and you didn't see it register good until you got to the difference between what I paid and the price of the less flexible premium economy fare. Duh?

I've had 2 chances to bid from Air Canada.

In Jan, flying Tampa to Toronto, bidding started at $180. I was flying on a reward ticket.

For my flight from Toronto to Tampa in 10 days, bidding starts at $250.

Same here for Fort Lauderdale. $250 minimum but the scale said poor and didn't change to good until you got to $450 which if added to what I paid was the cost of the premium economy or their version of business (rouge)

Yes, I use a ta and always book a PH1.

Well there you go then.

Count the number of Penthouses and then the number of big Suites.

You are placing yourself just below the bottleneck-

Upsells into the big Suites are very rare, upgrades almost unheard of.

Well there you go then.

Count the number of Penthouses and then the number of big Suites.

You are placing yourself just below the bottleneck-

Upsells into the big Suites are very rare, upgrades almost unheard of.

Plus 1

Upsells to top suites are indeed rare

Perhaps on a Caribbean cruise not selling well

You have nowhere to go from a ph1

My neighbor had a penthouse on what appears to have been a very popular Caribbean itinerary. She turned down a couple offers for OBC for changing to a different cruise. She finally was offered an upgrade to a Vista or Oceania suite plus OBC for changing to a different itinerary. She was also was offered the Owner's suite with no OBC. She decided to go for the new itinerary and Oceania suite on Riviera deck 11 stern (forget the suite number, but it was the one StanandJim said was their favorite).

I am green with envy...never happened to me!

My neighbor had a penthouse on what appears to have been a very popular Caribbean itinerary. She turned down a couple offers for OBC for changing to a different cruise. She finally was offered an upgrade to a Vista or Oceania suite plus OBC for changing to a different itinerary. She was also was offered the Owner's suite with no OBC. She decided to go for the new itinerary and Oceania suite on Riviera deck 11 stern (forget the suite number, but it was the one StanandJim said was their favorite).

I am green with envy...never happened to me!

This was discussed elsewhere recently.

This was a "move over" offer to another cruise rather than an upgrade or even an upsell on the same cruise. Move overs are much more common and often very attractive.

Same here for Fort Lauderdale. $250 minimum but the scale said poor and didn't change to good until you got to $450 which if added to what I paid was the cost of the premium economy or their version of business (rouge)

I bid Air Canada goodbye - for their snag type dodgy ads and offers. Found that KLM is cheaper or Icelandair on long business class flights are more comfortable than our national carrier, plus they don't try to deceive you with dodgy bidding stuff. Just my opinion, always book my own flights rather than O air.:)

And I refuse to ever fly KLM again. Will stay on the ground first. So there you go- something for everyone.

We have accepted more than one move over offer, and been very happy to do so. Have also turned down one incredibly generous one that we still talk about wistfully.

Mo