Koningsdam

may1021

I was on this cruise From Jan 8-22. Gorgeous ship, excellent food and service, good and varied entertainment. Have just read 2 scathing reviews posted by members. Really people? Have been on many cruises on varied lines and have always had an enjoyable time. Think people who have so many complaints should stop cruising. Hate to see so much negativity posted.

Glad you enjoyed it! We are booked for 3 weeks on her later this year & very excited. Am hoping she's all decorated for Christmas too which will make it more special.

Any particular things you recommend not to miss on the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were also on the January 8-22 cruise. I haven't seen those reviews, but am interested because this wasn't our best cruise. Not a bad cruise, it would take quite a lot to make me say that, but we had several problems over the 2 weeks.

For the first time (we're 4-star), our cabin stewards weren't up to par. We had to ask for things such as to replenish the bath gel (they let it get down to nothing), to leave a new laundry bag when they took one...there was always something left undone, like dirty glasses left, daily navigators not left, floor not vacuumed, etc. Nothing was ever done correctly or thoroughly. :(

More aggravating was billing problems. The Pinnacle Grill billed us and our friends for several meals we never had, and it took us 5 phone calls/meetings with the manager to get it finally fixed. The Beverage dept. wouldn't replenish sodas in the mini bar, and when they finally did after repeated phone calls, they told us we would be charged whether we drank them or not. The managers of the PG and Beverage Dept. apologized profusely, but it really shouldn't take 5 requests to get something fixed.

It was a good cruise in spite of that and in spite of the 650 member inspirations group that came on board the second week. (some locations were closed to the rest of the passengers). But it was far from one of our best cruises.

I was on this cruise From Jan 8-22. Gorgeous ship, excellent food and service, good and varied entertainment. Have just read 2 scathing reviews posted by members. Really people? Have been on many cruises on varied lines and have always had an enjoyable time. Think people who have so many complaints should stop cruising. Hate to see so much negativity posted.

They have every right to complain! I mean, sheets not tucked in and a ship that rocks too much! ;) :D:D no one should have to put up with that!:rolleyes:

Edited by VMax1700

They have every right to complain! I mean, sheets not tucked in and a ship that rocks too much! ;) :D:D no one should have to put up with that!:rolleyes:

Just read another review where the poster complains that the server in the Lido Market didn't know at what time they would be allowed to disembark. :rolleyes:

I really feel for the staff on the ships!

I was on a K-Dam cruise in December. The only problem I encountered was with the MDR the first two nights. We didn't have a set time and the waiting for a table was ridiculous. I had a long talk with the maitre'd (in a nice quiet polite manner) and he told me that the MDR staff were not happy either and he was hoping that HAL will change things if enough pax complain. After the first two days, things improved and we were able to get reservations. What I didn't like was the fact that any time diners are accommodated on both levels where before one level was set for those diners. I found it distracting when people were constantly coming and going.

As for the promenade deck not having chairs, well, it is what it is and if you enjoy spending lots of time there, don't bother booking this ship because you won't like it. I missed my late afternoon naps there, but found other quiet spaces on the ship.

I found the crew to be excellent. I wonder if the holiday cruises are much harder on them as there are many children on board and more people in each state room. Perhaps they were just exhausted by the time the New Year's cruise arrived. They are human, after all. In 20 years of cruising on HAL, I have never come across a rude or incompetent crew member.

As long as the prices remain this good, I will be happy cruising on the K-Dam. It really is a beautiful ship.

Maybe because of the negative reviews, I was able to get a fantastic solo price of a March K-Dam cruise and am looking forward to it. This time, I booked set dining so that should take care of the one problem I had.

I liked the BBC movie and the live orchestra....different.

We ate at Tamarind the first night to avoid the first night confusion. It was very good and service excellent. Wish I had dined at culinary venue but for some reason we didn't. Loved Billboards for happy hour. Two guys playing in Billboards packed the place nightly. I had excellent service everywhere. Sorry someone here did have issues. For me, someone serves me meals, cleans my room, and there is entertainment if I want it.....all good.

I have just finished reading the recent poor reviews and most seem to revolve around poor service and poor entertainment choices. BTW: there are good reviews also.

Personally, I have never understood why someone writing a poor review upsets some people so much. Someone else stating that they had a poor experience does not take away from someone else's great experience.

OP, as you had a wonderful experience on your cruise, why don't you post a review so every one even thinking about sailing on the K can read it?

I loved Tamarind too, and we were very happy with the MDR. The first week we were a group of 6 and were able to get the same table every night in Open Dining with no waiting. The second week, after our friends had disembarked, we never had to wait for a table for 2.

Loved B.B. King, we went most nights. We walked the promenade deck in spite of the narrow areas, and saw others doing the same. It is possible, it just takes more watching for others coming the other direction. ;)

I've never had a bad cruise, just some are better than others. Billing mistakes that take 5 days to correct aren't acceptable. :)

Our cabin stewards were very nice and pleasant, it just seemed that they hadn't had enough training, as things were overlooked every day. Something kind of odd, we would hang our towels after using them, trying to save energy. But they would take one used hanging towel, replace it with a clean one, but leave the other one hanging. :confused: That was a new one. :D

We were on the Koningsdam in Dec., too. Loved the ship. Had a few problems, but it didn't prevent me from having a wonderful time---although waiting outside our door for over an hour waiting for them to come change the battery in the door lock so we could get in our room was a bit trying, especially since we were wet from snorkeling all day at the port we were at. We also had a few problems with the beverage department that took about 3 days to fix, but that was minor.

Also on the Koningsdam in early Dec. Loved the ship and had great overall service. Sure there were a couple of things we did not 100% enjoy, but they were so minor that they do not even deserve to be mentioned.

I used to travel ALOT during my work years and seldom is everything perfect, on land or sea. Do not let a few minor issues spoil your trip.

We're going on our second cruise on the K'dam in a couple of weeks and it will be interesting to see what changes have been made since our July cruise up the Norwegian coast. Back then they had some growing pains to deal with, especially when it came to getting 2,600 people on and off the ship at tendered locations.

Also, have they ever painted a ONE WAY sign yet on a wall along the promenade deck like they have on so many of their other ships? We made that recommendation on our first cruise as we thought it would go a long way to easing the congestion in the more tighter spots.

On this upcoming cruise we're thinking of eating dinner up on the Lido deck and have heard they serve the same food that's offered in the MDR, even on gala nights. Has anyone tried this approach and were you happy with the results?

Also, have they ever painted a ONE WAY sign yet on a wall along the promenade deck like they have on so many of their other ships? We made that recommendation on our first cruise as we thought it would go a long way to easing the congestion in the more tighter spots...

I never saw one, and was looking. We walked laps many times and yes people were going both directions.

We were also on the January 8-22 cruise. I haven't seen those reviews, but am interested because this wasn't our best cruise. Not a bad cruise, it would take quite a lot to make me say that, but we had several problems over the 2 weeks.

For the first time (we're 4-star), our cabin stewards weren't up to par. We had to ask for things such as to replenish the bath gel (they let it get down to nothing), to leave a new laundry bag when they took one...there was always something left undone, like dirty glasses left, daily navigators not left, floor not vacuumed, etc. Nothing was ever done correctly or thoroughly. :(

More aggravating was billing problems. The Pinnacle Grill billed us and our friends for several meals we never had, and it took us 5 phone calls/meetings with the manager to get it finally fixed. The Beverage dept. wouldn't replenish sodas in the mini bar, and when they finally did after repeated phone calls, they told us we would be charged whether we drank them or not. The managers of the PG and Beverage Dept. apologized profusely, but it really shouldn't take 5 requests to get something fixed.

It was a good cruise in spite of that and in spite of the 650 member inspirations group that came on board the second week. (some locations were closed to the rest of the passengers). But it was far from one of our best cruises.

Sorry that this wasn't one of your better cruises.

We cabin stewards a couple of times that were not up to par. And we have also experienced problems with billing in the PG.

Hope you will de a full review.

I am very grateful for all reviews and hope the comments here discouraging negative reviews does not stop anyone from sharing their thoughts. All reviews are based on different thoughts, perspectives and experiences. I value reading what those who liked something have to say and equally value negative reviews. As a reader, it is my job to see every review as someone's opinion that might be very different than mine for exactly the same thing. When negative reviews are discouraged a biased view can emerge. Let's all support and value a full range of opinions.

We're going on our second cruise on the K'dam in a couple of weeks and it will be interesting to see what changes have been made since our July cruise up the Norwegian coast. Back then they had some growing pains to deal with, especially when it came to getting 2,600 people on and off the ship at tendered locations.

Also, have they ever painted a ONE WAY sign yet on a wall along the promenade deck like they have on so many of their other ships? We made that recommendation on our first cruise as we thought it would go a long way to easing the congestion in the more tighter spots.

On this upcoming cruise we're thinking of eating dinner up on the Lido deck and have heard they serve the same food that's offered in the MDR, even on gala nights. Has anyone tried this approach and were you happy with the results?

We ate dinner in the Lido quite a few times on our TA on the Koningsdam. We found the choices to be very good and lots of the things that were available in the MDR were available in the Lido. There were strip-loin steaks every night and they were very good. On one of our formal nights the Lido had lobster and filet mignon just like the MDR, as well as smoked salmon and other seafood as appetizers. We were very impressed with the food quality and choices. We felt the food was the best of any Lido we have eaten in. We talked one night to a food and beverage manager and mentioned how impressed we were with the quality of the beef on the Koningsdam compared to recent cruises on other HAL ships. He said they had recently changed suppliers for their meat.