What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

I have sailed NCL in the haven a few times but this is the first time i have received a chance to bid for an upgrade on the Escape in the haven. My strategy in determining the amount i bid was decided by doing some research on the fish web site. I looked at past cruises on the same ship and date last year as well as future cruise prices on the cabin categories on which I will place bids. I have 70+ days to wait, so we will see what happens

This might sound novice, but haven't been on CC for a while.

What is the "FISH WEB SITE" and how do you mine that data that you mentioned. We're sailing Escape last sailing in November into December.

Thanks (to anyone who can answer).

They most certainly do. My first cruise I upgraded from an H5 to an H2 30 days out. But be careful what you wish for! Ever since I can only cruise in an H2!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How much did you bid if you don't mind my asking.

The banner has not been showing up when I log in the last few days so I'm not sure if it is a glitch or if they stopped taking offers for my cruise which is 51 days away!

I can get into my offers by clicking the link in my bid confirmation emails but nothing from logging into my NCL.

I guess time will tell so let the waiting begin :confused:

Has anyone had a "poor" bid accepted? Wondering if there is one particular room category we want but would be okay with a different if we should just bid on the one we want to increase our chances of getting that?

Hi, I did win a H2 with a poor bid. I lucked out. I had originally booked a H6.

Just an FYI to all cc members sailing NCL. If you booked through one of the online travel providers, say one ending with "go", you will not receive an upgrade bid email from Norwegian Cruise Lines.

Some of these sites have "opted out" of the program and you will not be "allowed" to participate in the process. This is very frustrating since I have successfully participated when booking directly, but by using the online travel provider I am precluded from receiving or participating.

Beware when you book to ask your TA or the online provider whether they participate in this protocol.

Good Luck to all.

R and K

Hi -

We are crazy people and just booked a week out for the July 22nd Gem cruise out of NY. Do you think we might get a chance to bid or no? We are in a mini suite. We have upgraded to the Haven last year, through the secret phone number. So this bid process is all new for us.

Thanks

This might sound novice, but haven't been on CC for a while.

What is the "FISH WEB SITE" and how do you mine that data that you mentioned. We're sailing Escape last sailing in November into December.

Thanks (to anyone who can answer).

Not sure why it's such a secret that we have to email for an answer. Take the word "Cruise", stick the word "fish" on the end of it. Then add a ".net". I'm also not sure it's of any real value in determining a bid since most people are looking for a price well below any actual offered price. But, the site will show you what a cabin category has been priced at so you get an idea of how full the ship is by the trend in pricing.

Just an FYI to all cc members sailing NCL. If you booked through one of the online travel providers, say one ending with "go", you will not receive an upgrade bid email from Norwegian Cruise Lines.

Some of these sites have "opted out" of the program and you will not be "allowed" to participate in the process. This is very frustrating since I have successfully participated when booking directly, but by using the online travel provider I am precluded from receiving or participating.

Beware when you book to ask your TA or the online provider whether they participate in this protocol.

Good Luck to all.

R and K

Mine with a royal name told me that I was not allowed either because my booking was under a group booking.. beats the heck out of me why that would preclude me from getting an offer.

I put a bid in to upgrade from an inside room to a balcony. If my bid is accepted, is it worth calling NCL to see if we can get upgraded further to a mini suite or suite? My hunch is our bid will be accepted, partially because it looks as if there are lots of open balconies and mini suites for our sailing (it's a little under a month and a half away). I wish I could place a bid on a category higher than balcony.

I put a bid in to upgrade from an inside room to a balcony. If my bid is accepted, is it worth calling NCL to see if we can get upgraded further to a mini suite or suite? My hunch is our bid will be accepted, partially because it looks as if there are lots of open balconies and mini suites for our sailing (it's a little under a month and a half away). I wish I could place a bid on a category higher than balcony.

If your bid is accepted before the cut off time, you would probably be able to re-bid for categories that are above your new one using the banner/email link. It seems like inside to balcony acceptances happen more often before the 48 hour cut off. But there is still a chance you won't know before the 48 hour cut off when it is too late to re-bid.

If your bid is accepted before the cut off time, you would probably be able to re-bid for categories that are above your new one using the banner/email link. It seems like inside to balcony acceptances happen more often before the 48 hour cut off. But there is still a chance you won't know before the 48 hour cut off when it is too late to re-bid.

If it's after the 48 hour window, could I call upsell and see if I can get another upgrade that way? Or do all room bookings have to be final by that point?

I'm kicking myself, because I originally booked an ocean view room but then downgraded to inside because I didn't think $3500 for an ocean view was worth it & I planned to try to get an upgrade right before the cruise-- but this is before I knew about the new upgrade advantage program. I wish I'd just kept it, then I could've bid on a mini suite. (Traveling with a 1 year old and I'm realizing a balcony is imperative, she will not nap if we're right in the room with her, and mini suite even better!) ... guess we could always sit outside the door during naps.... :confused: Really hoping September Alaska cruises aren't overly popular this year.

I thought you were able to bid on 3 different catagories higher than you inside.

I thought you were able to bid on 3 different catagories higher than you inside.

No, you can only bid on next two higher categories. If you are in a Inside, you can bid on OceanView and Balcony. If in OceanView, you can bid on Balcony and MiniSuite.

If it's after the 48 hour window, could I call upsell and see if I can get another upgrade that way? Or do all room bookings have to be final by that point?

I'm kicking myself, because I originally booked an ocean view room but then downgraded to inside because I didn't think $3500 for an ocean view was worth it & I planned to try to get an upgrade right before the cruise-- but this is before I knew about the new upgrade advantage program. I wish I'd just kept it, then I could've bid on a mini suite. (Traveling with a 1 year old and I'm realizing a balcony is imperative, she will not nap if we're right in the room with her, and mini suite even better!) ... guess we could always sit outside the door during naps.... :confused: Really hoping September Alaska cruises aren't overly popular this year.

Of course calling can't hurt. But, don't get your hopes up. Besides the fact that the upsell people won't do anything for those on ships that use upgrade advantage, at the 48 hour mark, all the rooms are almost certainly gone.

No, you can only bid on next two higher categories. If you are in a Inside, you can bid on OceanView and Balcony. If in OceanView, you can bid on Balcony and MiniSuite.

Good to know, Thanks. Do you know what is above a Spa Balcony on the BA?

Good to know, Thanks. Do you know what is above a Spa Balcony on the BA?

For bidding, they just lump all balconies together. So no matter what balcony you have, they would offer you the chance to bid on Mini-Suites and Haven/Suites. I wouldn't bid from the balcony room I had chosen to a random Mini-Suite. I wish they would let us bid for Spa Mini-suite. That would be worth a bid!

It is possible that if you have a Spa Balcony they might accept your bid over another similar one from a regular balcony since they could then try to sell your Spa Balcony for full price. But that's just a guess.

Not sure why it's such a secret that we have to email for an answer. Take the word "Cruise", stick the word "fish" on the end of it. Then add a ".net". I'm also not sure it's of any real value in determining a bid since most people are looking for a price well below any actual offered price. But, the site will show you what a cabin category has been priced at so you get an idea of how full the ship is by the trend in pricing.

Following cruise critic posting guidelines:

Cruise Critic reserves the right to approve or deny links which lead directly to or link to cruise-related material or message boards that are not located within Cruise Critic. Additionally, we respectfully request that you do not use our forums to promote or advertise other cruise-related websites.

For bidding, they just lump all balconies together. So no matter what balcony you have, they would offer you the chance to bid on Mini-Suites and Haven/Suites. I wouldn't bid from the balcony room I had chosen to a random Mini-Suite. I wish they would let us bid for Spa Mini-suite. That would be worth a bid!

It is possible that if you have a Spa Balcony they might accept your bid over another similar one from a regular balcony since they could then try to sell your Spa Balcony for full price. But that's just a guess.

Thanks, we are happy with the Spa Balcony especially since our 14 day cruise is in February leaving out of NYC. Hopefully will be able to upgrade to a Haven cabin

I do have a question about paying if you when I bid. I would like to surprise my wife if we do get upgraded. NCL has our AMX on file for the current cabin. Can I switch the added payment to another CC if we get an upgrade? I have another card I could put it on so she wouldn't see it

I do have a question about paying if you when I bid. I would like to surprise my wife if we do get upgraded. NCL has our AMX on file for the current cabin. Can I switch the added payment to another CC if we get an upgrade? I have another card I could put it on so she wouldn't see it

You have to put in card info when you make the offer so you could use any card you want!