pool usage on Antarctic cruises

BostonGCC

Hello, everyone. I am thinking about taking a December cruise on HAL, and wonder whether the pool is heated enough to use, and the sea conditions actually allow for pool usage. On previous cruises, I've seen the netting go up for very minor rolling, and the Drake Passage etc. seem pretty likely to be turbulent. I would appreciate any input from cruisers who've done this trip (Valparaiso - BA or vice versa), as well as general tips. Thank you in advance.

When I went to Antarctica in 2011, there were people who used the pool under the closed dome. They also held a water exercise class there in the mornings that looked pretty well attended.

The ship was the Veendam so we didn't have the outside pool, but I did use the outside hot tub while we were in Antarctica.

You don't go on an Antarctic cruise for the pool. It will likely be too cold... Pools are "solar" heated....if the sun is out and hot, the pool will warm up.

Absolutely not the whole story...another bum scoop. Pools can be and are heated by cruise ships.

We cruised to Antartica with Celebrity in March of 2013. We were unbelievably lucky when crossing the Drake passage and had a the Drake lake because it was so calm and smooth. Our ship had a covered pool that I used most days. My husband and i got in the hot tubs most nights too. I even have a picture in my hubby with his swim trunks on and Antartica in the background!! I hope you have an amazing trip Antartica is amazing!!

We have sailed to Antarctica on HAL. You don't mention the specific ship, but all of HAL's ships except the Prinsendam have a mid-ship pool with a retractable cover that absolutely can be used in any temperature. It may be closed because the seas are too rough to safely swim, but outdoor temperature won't be an issue. There was also a photo op swim while in Antarctica at the aft pool. I have pictures of DH in the aft pool during this. It was snowing and there is steam coming from the pool.

In 2011 Celebrity had a penguin plunge event. Passengers dived into the pool swam around and then petted the ice penguin. I watched this with coat, beanie etc AND a blanket wrapped around me. However they all seemed to have fun.