Baby in diapers in the pool - Would you say something?

HawksFan74

Just off the Ruby Princess a couple weeks ago. One day, while in the pool with my 5 year old, I noticed a couple allowing their approx. 9 month old infant (wearing a swim diaper) to swim in the pool. Now, I know this is strictly prohibited for health reasons, but I never saw anyone from Princess do or say anything about it. Didn't see any fellow passengers say anything either. Admittedly, I could have said something but didn't because I tend to be a non-confrontational person.

So, my question here is, would you have said or done anything in this situation? Or better yet, has anyone actually been in the situation, and what did you do about it? Did you say something to the couple directly, or maybe find a Princess employee to report it to? Just curious.

It's not your job to enforce the rules, so I'd say something to a Princess employee rather than the couple. The bigger concern is the health risks of the child actual soils the diaper while in the pool.

I honestly wouldn't know what crew member to say something to. There really aren't any lifeguards or anyone watching the pools. And I wouldn't think the beverage waiters would be the right person.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any staff member you see should know who to contact for this.

No...swim diaper are made to contain poop and are Made for the pool. They were doing the right thing.

If it was a regular diaper, I would just get out...don't want to cause a scene for anyone:confused:

Not sure telling a cruise member would work... They are hesitant about removing towels from chair hogs when no one is there, so I doubt they would confront a passenger

No...swim diaper are made to contain poop and are Made for the pool. They were doing the right thing.

If it was a regular diaper, I would just get out...don't want to cause a scene for anyone:confused:

Not sure telling a cruise member would work... They are hesitant about removing towels from chair hogs when no one is there, so I doubt they would confront a passenger

So called swim diapers have no exemption and they do fail. No they are not doing the right thing by comprimising the health of all other passengers.

So here's what the CDC has to say about swim diapers.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/swimmers/swim-diapers-swim-pants.html

And it is a regulation from the US Public Health Dept.

So yes, it is a rule, but we have yet to see a cruise line enforcing it.

Not sure a bit of infant excretion is any worse than the things one can contract from adults!

So here's some additional light reading:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/swimmers/rwi.html

If it really concerns you, stay out of out of the pools/hot tubs.

When it comes to everyone's health, the right thing is to say something, period!

And if the cruise line doesn't respond properly, I would cordially remind the parents, they are not at home.

That comment is make to be a joke, right?

I would tell a crew member. And I will next time......

On our last Royal cruise, a passenger had their baby in the pool with a swim diaper, and it failed, and no one said anything prior. There was poop floating from the infant and the pool had to be closed to be cleaned. Aggravating.

As for beer and cocktails, I can't see then enforcing this - I always sit on the flat portion with drink in hand. These certainly don't biologically contaminate the pool if spilled.

My experience with issues such as this is that a crew member is unlikely to do anything about it. Princess staff appear reluctant to challenge passengers about anything. It seems that on Princess some passengers ARE always right.

My experience with issues such as this is that a crew member is unlikely to do anything about it. Princess staff appear reluctant to challenge passengers about anything. It seems that on Princess some passengers ARE always right.

I would disagree. I have seen them move pretty swiftly when it comes to a hazmat situation in the pool.

In one of my college summers I ran a pool at a boys camp and fully understand the concept of pool sanitation. We had to submit a water sample to the state every week to show we were in compliance. If I saw a baby in the pool wearing any kind of diapers, I would report it not to a deck attendant but a supervisor. This is a very serious sanitary issue and needs to be reported quickly. The pool has to be drained, completely cleaned and then refilled. It is not a simple task.

My personal feelings is that anyone who would endanger the health of a whole cruise ship needs to be put off the ship at the next available port. It is a very selfish thing to do.

• Like 1