Voyager - Singapore-Hong Kong, 2/20-3/7/17 - Wes, Rachel & Rumor, LIVE!

Mr Rumor

I would also like to wish George a very happy birthday. I'm very pleased he got his birthday wish of some stormy seas but also hope it wasn't too bad overall.

I'm really enjoying all the input and effort from you guys and the photos and commentary have been fabulous, it's making me want to fast forward our next one now.

Keep having a blast.

Pam.

Thank you, Wes, for the crew visit update. I can't even imagine what it is like to leave your family for such long stretches of time. It is the ultimate sacrifice to assure that your loved ones have a better life. Your post brought tears to my eyes!

My apologies, Mr. Rumor for thanking Wes instead of you for the lovely update on the crew. I wasn't yet on my second cup of coffee!

If there is a person who loves life more, and is more fun to be around than George, I haven't met him yet. Our eight-top in Compass Rose was celebration central last night (and that was even before the Brandy Alexanders started to flow!). Just as we were about to adjourn, a passenger from a nearby table came over to wish the big guy a happy birthday, exclaiming that she wished she had been at our table.

Forgap, Jackie, forevertravel, so glad you enjoyed the crew Manila spotlights and follow-up. I was sensitive toward the crew members' feelings about answering personal questions such as I posed. But each was delighted to be approached. Jennilyn seemed to speak for the others when she responded by patting her heart and telling me it was her honor.

By the way, Jennifer, I recall your posting earlier that you and Georges have booked Singapore-Sydney next year. So have we! It will be great to meet you and Georges (I feel I know you both already from your wonderful blogs). I'd be game for a joint blog if you are!

Speaking of cruise bookings, I only recall one instance on this entire cruise--yesterday, late afternoon--when Cruise Consultant Bruce wasn't huddled with passengers as I walked by his office. I took the opportunity to ask him which itineraries have been seeing a lot of onboard-booking action. He immediately responded Lisbon-Cape Town (November 28, 2018, 24 nights, Explorer) and Shanghai-Tokyo (March 28, 2019, 18 nights, Mariner). We booked the latter one ourselves early on our first sea day. Bruce told us that day that 50 cabins had already been booked on that one.

In just under an hour we'll be docked in Kaohsiung, so I better end this now so I can grab a quick bite. Ginny and I have booked the six-hour "Sacred Fokuangshan" excursion. We're guaranteed a good time as Rachel and George will be joining us!

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good morning Kaohsiung Taiwan!

Kaohsiung is the largest municipality of Taiwan with a population near three million. The city is located on the southwestern coast of Taiwan facing the Taiwan Strait just about 112 miles facing it near neighbor--China.

Today we will take a four hour ship's excursion called, a Glimpse of Kaohsiung.

Pics of our sail in to Kaohsiung

5e937dec160cd43c7e1f24966fa41cc9.jpg3ef2d63162cd3ae1cab1b736a2809d49.jpg

By the way, Jennifer, I recall your posting earlier that you and Georges have booked Singapore-Sydney next year. So have we! It will be great to meet you and Georges (I feel I know you both already from your wonderful blogs). I'd be game for a joint blog if you are!

So delighted! We also have friends traveling also who were on our 2014 Bangkok to Dubai cruise - Bill, Dan, and Eleanor. All three are intelligent, warm, and urbane! We struck up our friendship during our pre-cruise to Angkor Wat when we were waiting in an endless line at the airport. Georges and I were discussing politics and, since we were of like minds, they responded to our conversation. Since we seemed to be the only ones of a liberal persuasion on this cruise, we became fast friends. Although in this current climate, it's best if political discussion is off the table!

I look forward to the joint blog!

The Main Shrine at Fo Guang Shan. This was a great excursion. The vegetarian lunch was terrific! Also, thanks to the monastery for the fast, free internet.

a2acb94870290bd48f4e90b7d402b466.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peggy, you are so very welcome, we're all glad you're enjoying our pix.

Rich thanks for sharing your beautiful photos as we get to experience a part of Kaohsiung that our temple-centered excursion did not show.

We finished our nearly five hour ship's excursion visiting three temples and Lotus Lake (named after the beautiful Lotus flowers that grow there). The largest temple we visited was the Chi-Ming-Tang temple, where our Taiwanese guide explained how they talk to God when the prey. Please enjoy some photos of this excellent excursion where we got to know this multi-cultural, beautiful Taiwanese Port city.

The next to last photo is of koby, the gorgeous long haired dachshund "Kobe" that reminded us of our 2b's (Bella & Bailee) hopefully they have forgotten us as we are now 40 days away from home.

Lastly, is a copy of the special Asian menu that Regent Seven Seas Voyager is having for the 102 Grand Voyage cruisers at a special dinner tonight in the restaurant, Sette Mari.

Ida giving the Tiger and Dragon pagodas at Lotus Lake two thumbs up

3b93ca5e8941b62e39b76eb549afa4ab.jpg

The largest temple in Kaohsiung Chi Ming Tang

4b8ded7a57057c6567f7619b1d155e27.jpg4576ad664baf656caf530c9572ea05c7.jpg96f1d870535bbcfde74789a9b6f4ce9e.jpg

We just had to capture a photo of the long haired dachshund to help us remember our Bella and Braille who are now at home while we galavant through Oceania and Asia.

1aa6a442c7f67951df225b75fcee3706.jpg

ad4314859417ed817dadd473053475a1.jpg

Edited by WesW

What the Blogateers won't do to deliver the posts to you. Just encountered Wes in the Kaohsiung terminal (along with lots of crew), where we can get a fast internet connection.

b3381018d13a3d9d7eaa27f05a82034d.jpg

March 3, 2017-Kaohsiung Taiwan

After George's big b-day bash last evening, we crashed. The seas were very rocky and bumpy until about 4 am. Great for sleeping and a perfect finish to the b-day celebration.

We awoke to hazy skies, with temps definitely cooler and less humid than what we have been experiencing lately. I would say in the low 60s in the morning and up in the 70s by afternoon, perfect for touring.

Our excursion today was to the Fo Guang Shan Buddhist monastery. Since my knowledge of Taiwan is very limited, I really didn't know what to pick, so just chose based on length (moderate) and activity level (3 walking men). It turned out to be a very good choice indeed. Ginny and Rich had also chosen this one.

Kaohsiung is the most populous city in Taiwan. We drove through by bus on our way to the monastery, but the traffic was not bad at all. The roads were very good. I would not be scared to drive here (something I would never consider in Vietnam or the Philippines). We drove by multistory buildings with businesses on the ground floor and apartments above. Most were pretty utilitarian and non descript. There were a few high rises that looked fairly new. Every so often a pagoda, colorful and with the traditional architecture and roof, would appear. Our guide David, a very energetic older gentleman who was a retired fire commissioner as far as I could understand, gave good commentary.

We arrived at the monastery which is huge and in two parts. A Buddhist monk from Germany was our guide for this part of the excursion. We walked up and up the stairs through lovely gardens to the temple at the top. Shoes had to come off to go inside. The interior was very ornate and decorated floor to ceiling. He then took us through a gallery with beautiful oriental paintings, all of flowers and nature. I could have spent much more time hereEverything was immaculately clean, and there were gardeners working to keep the plants looking perfect.

We then re boarded the bus to go to the museum and conference center where the centerpiece is a huge gold colored Buddha. Again lots of flowers and gardens. There were also lots of food outlets, all perfectly clean, and including a Starbucks and a Hagen Das ice cram place. Also some very nice high end gift shops.

We walked down a long wide avenue with pagodas and towers on each side to the main building where we visited a couple of shrines, one with a huge ornate jade buddha and another with a gold plated Buddha. Then up to the terrace to view the grounds and the huge Buddha that is outdoors. David was good at keeping us all rounded up and moving.

We then had lunch at a terrific vegetarian restaurant in the complex. It was one of those Chinese affairs were they have a large turntable and put dish after dish on it which you serve yourself from. The ladies just kept bringing out food. We had Chinese broccoli, a noodle dish with yummy mushrooms, a sticky rice dish, braised tofu and vegetables, a dish with faux chicken and cabbage, soup with turnip and faux beef, a bunch of different fruits, dried fruits and seaweed, hot tea. It was very healthy and delicious.

After lunch, we had an hour to explore on our own or shop. The shopping was good if you were looking for high quality. George and I did some more exploring on our own.

Back to the ship, we took a little nap, then did poorly in trivia. I had a couple of right answers but not enough.

Sail away at 5 pm. Lots of people out on the shore waving. It quickly got super hazy though. I don't know if it is fog or smog, but it was clear during the middle part of the day.

There is a special dinner tonight up in sette mare for those doing the entire grand voyage. Then the Beatles night at 9:30. We will see if I can convince George to go.

Whilst in Taiwan (and assuming you're stopping in Taipei next) if you get the chance when you're in one of the temples ask one of your guides to show you how to tell your fortune by tossing the "orange segment" wooden shapes. Good fun and an interesting insight to a different culture.

Loved all the photos from today and sorry I missed wishing George a very Happy Birthday. My good wishes may be late, but they are no less sincere!

Gilley, we learned from our Kaohsiung tour guide yesterday that tossing of the organogenesis "divine blocks" allowed the Taiwanese people when praying to speak directly to God. However, they could only ask yes or no questions and only when the blocks flat surface and one with a curved surface appeared, it meant God answere yes, (Is it time to get married?)

Good Morning Taipei, Taiwan.

We will soon arrive in this lively Taiwanese metropolis, where we will take an afternoon excursion title, "Sky Lantern and Shifen Waterfall.

Last nite we had yet another delicious dinner with George and Rachel in the Regent Seven Seas Voyager main restaurant Compass Rose. Photo below.

7c9275d5dc6c32109f1f7946fbd50406.jpg

Familiar with the expression, "Happy wife, happy life"? (In fact, I've reminded myself of it a couple of times on this cruise as DW insisted on yet another quick foray into a warren of souvenir shops.)

Well, ol' Rumor has a new one for you: "Happy guide, happy ride." This morning I'm still savoring yesterday's outstanding "Sacred Fokuangshan" excursion, which clicked on every level, including quality of tour guide.

David, who got his master's degree in forensic science in the United States and went on to serve (if I understood correctly) as fire commissioner for Kaohsiung, was a jolly soul of a guide. He cracked us up numerous times with his enthusiastic commentary on the bus, and did a great job of shepherding us around on our tour, which covered a lot of acreage (more than five miles' worth, according to Rachel's Fitbit).

His English was darn good, but just a little fractured in the most charming way. When I inquired about the local TV film crew filming a portion of our visit to the monastery, he looked at me wide-eyed and exclaimed, "Of course! You are dignity!"

Today we'll be doing "The Best of Taipei," an eight-hour tour that has an added charge of $109. I'm most looking forward to our two-hour stop at the National Palace Museum, repository of 700,000 pieces of ancient Chinese imperial artifacts.

Rich