Voyager - Singapore-Hong Kong, 2/20-3/7/17 - Wes, Rachel & Rumor, LIVE!

Mr Rumor

Thanks, Jackie. I always enjoy interacting with the crew, No doubt in part because I was crew myself back in the '70s. This time was extra-special because of the extra-special occasion. My one little regret in booking the nine-hour "Corregidor: The Last Bastion" tour tomorrow in Manila is that we'll miss out on the hugs and laughs and, I'm sure, tears.

We are now anchored at Boracay Island. Ginny and I are signed up for the four-hour "Beach Escape" and will be headquartered at the Hennan Regency Resort. Ginny, a beach lover since she was a little girl, is already sporting quite a sunburn from yesterday on the Pool Deck, so she better watch it! (I know I will as I'm just not a beach guy, but I am looking forward to walking around and photographing.)

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

Wonderful Boracay photos Rich and echo Stan's comments--wonderful profile of our hard working crew from the Philippines, thanks for briefly profiling these crew stars.

Ida and I enjoyed a very good Borocay island tour that included multiple snorkel stops. First, tho Ida posed with the Voyager Sommelier team (including Rina, head sommelier Alan and two additional Voyage Sommeliers.

4a38630fb2bed867853f8339866b95c0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We then boarded our Island tour boat and headed out to three snorkel and one beautiful beach stop. First photo is Ida and fellow guests including Nicolas (from the Destination team) getting their snorkel equipment ready). Note the beauty of Boracay even Nicolas is chilling admiring the incredible colors of the Boracay coast.

b4e1150200096667be2b6de9058225fd.jpg

Nicolas chillin:

3ebf0999ddd090796fa4362b5c193d92.jpg

Simply beautiful Boracay waters as we headed to our first snorkel spot. Ida and I enjoying are beach stop, then having our lunch (Regent club sandwiches) as we enjoyed the sun/beach

a6a50dd0990934ee4decdb76f7a782a7.jpgd4b4854851f459c04cf1e8327a0e21e5.jpg

And Ida pointing towards the Voyager with gorgeous Boracay in the background:

13a50de972e0d347f1168dee37643b9e.jpg

Mabuhay! Thanks (salamat po in Tagalog) so much to all of you for sharing your cruise with us. The recent set of pic brings back so many memories as a young officer stationed in the Philippines with a new family and running around the island of Luzon without a care in the world. I can't wait to hear about your impressions of Manila and to see your pics.

Rachel: you are a hard core rock star :cool:. I would be sucking my thumb and asking to be read a bedtime story.

Z and TB

I am enjoying this blog so much since I have serious PVDS (Post Vacation Depression Syndrome) since returning home after 28 days on Navigator. We are doing Singapore to Sydney next year but I really love this next segment. Hmmmm...can I convince G to add on a segment? Thank you, Wes, Rich, and Rachel!

Jennifer

February 28,2017-Borocay Island, Philippines

Yet another smooth sailbrought us to Borocay in the Philippines. I had never heard of this place until I was telling a friend what ports we were visiting. She used to live in the Philippines and came here for weekends. Borocay is renowned for its beaches and water sports.

At 8 am, the captain came on the overhead announcing that the wind was really strong and that he had considered canceling the port. But then he quickly added that we were going to give it a try. Part of the issue is that it is a tender port. And tendering was indeed interesting. I was of course worried about hurting my arm, but we got on and off without incident, just a bumpy ride.

We were signed up for a snorkeling excursion. Obviously snorkeling was out for me, but George could still do it, so I just watched. The boats here are mostly homemade and rustic. They are like big covered canoes with outriggers on each side. Seating was wooden benches, but we had plenty of life jackets and used them for cushions. Then you just went off each side to snorkel. They did have a wooden ladder, but George just dove in then climbed back up on the outrigger when he was through.

Reports on the snorkeling were that there were lots of small fish, but the area was too deep to see anything on the bottom. We went to three different areas plus a beach. The beach was just ok-- no place to sit and relax and a lot of vendors trying to sell stuff.

Coming back to the ship on the tender was a little dicey as the wind had really picked up. Our tender driver had a hard time bringing it along side the ship, and it took 3 tries

to get it. Even then, George had to catch one of the lines they threw out to the tender.

Back on board, we enjoyed burgers by the pool, then George went to the gym while I did my steps. Trivia was a bust today as we misunderstood one question and just flat didn't know another.

The gold, platinum, titanium event was in the evening before dinner. I have been to lot of these. Sometimes it is just a few people, others a whole bunch. This time feel in the whole bunch category as there are so many repeat cruisers on board. They held it in the theater. One of the crew, Juan Perez, sang, and he is very talented. They had brought his mom onboard to hear him, and I think everyone got a little misty eyed when he sang a song dedicated to her.

We had a wonderful dinner in Chartreuse with Rich and Ginny and new friends Shirley and Bert. Bert is a retired lawyer, so he and George had fun telling stories. The food was outstanding as usual.

The entertainment tonight is the pianist, but we have an early tour in the am. I am going to sleep.

I was interrupted while writing the previous post and omitted a couple of things.

First, I expected Borocay to be a quiet sleepy little island. Nothing could be further from the truth. The jetty where we landed in the tender was a bustling beehive of activity with ferries to other islands loading and unloading and all sorts of vendors and taxi drivers hustling for a fare. Apparently this island is a very popular place for Filipino tourists.

Second, I did not feel the beaches lived up to the hype at all. There was some powdery sand in places, but there was also a lot of green algae which our guide said happens frequently. The beaches of Tahiti, the Hawaiian islands, even Norh Carolina are way nicer IMO.

I was interrupted while writing the previous post and omitted a couple of things.

First, I expected Borocay to be a quiet sleepy little island. Nothing could be further from the truth. The jetty where we landed in the tender was a bustling beehive of activity with ferries to other islands loading and unloading and all sorts of vendors and taxi drivers hustling for a fare. Apparently this island is a very popular place for Filipino tourists.

Second, I did not feel the beaches lived up to the hype at all. There was some powdery sand in places, but there was also a lot of green algae which our guide said happens frequently. The beaches of Tahiti, the Hawaiian islands, even Norh Carolina are way nicer IMO.

Based on what I read on this thread, the beaches were definitely disappointing. I was expecting a beach like one would see in the Caribbean or Southern California. This is good to know for future reference!

My reason for wanting to go to the Philippines is only because of the crew and their families and it sounds that I'll be very satisfied in that area and will likely not take excursions.

Thanks everyone for the photos! Looking forward to the ones of Manila and the families onboard the ship.

Based on what I read on this thread, I was also disappointed with the beaches. I expected to see the kind of beaches that are in the Caribbean or Southern California. This is good to know for future reference.

Thanks everyone for the photos. Looking forward to photos of Manila - particularly of the families onboard the ship (which is the main reason that we look forward to visiting that port).

Forgap/Jennifer & Georges, you're very welcome and we also loved y'all's blog when we had the time to read so thank you--esp your frank assessment of sailing on the Navigator--helped us nix sailing Norway on the Navigator and instead do China on the Mariner.

Good Morning Manila and Corregidor, Phillippines!

We arrive in Manila shortly and then head out on a nine hour excursion to Corregidor (Gibraltar of the East) site of the last major bloody battle for conquest of the Philippines by the Japanese imperial army during WW II. Ida and I can't wait to visit this historical site that saw some of the most brutal combat during WWII resulting in about a thousand dead on each side and 11000 US and Philippine POWs.

If you want to learn more about the Battle of Corregidor, wiki pedia has a good primer.

Our room stewardess, Sarah Jane is from the Philippines and has not seen her family for three years. Her family and about 600 Philippine family members will visit the Voyager today. Regent does these tear jerking crew family reunions exceptionally well.

We told Sarah Jane to take the day off today and NOT to make up our room so she would have more time with her family. Almost, knocked on our suite neighbor doors to ask them to do the same but did not. Sarah Jane just beamed when I told her this and thanked us profusely.

We also gave our stewardess the "day off" as did most of her other clients along the corridor and she was so grateful to able to get away to see her young children for the first time in over year. But she had to stay on board to service one suite/pigsty whose slovenly owner insisted on a full service. What is the matter with these people.

Rachel, I wasn't going to say how disappointed we were by the beach at Boracay, partly due to the algae (and partly due to the fact that I dropped my camera in that fine sand) We didn't like all the sellers and found the area around the beach to be tacky too. I thought it was "just us", but having read your comments, feel relieved! Yes, there are far better beaches elsewhere, I agree.

It is heartwarming to read about those of you that gave your stewards and stewardesses the morning off so they could see their families. Bravo to all that participated in this act of kindness!

Still hoping that someone has some family photos of the day. We plan on staying onboard most of the day when we are in Manila as I would rather be onboard with the crew and their families.

It is heartwarming to read about those of you that gave your stewards and stewardesses the morning off so they could see their families. Bravo to all that participated in this act of kindness!

Still hoping that someone has some family photos of the day. We plan on staying onboard most of the day when we are in Manila as I would rather be onboard with the crew and their families.

I'm sorry but why do you think the crew would want to share their precious time with their families with passengers? Surely this is their private time.

Good afternoon from Corregidor Island, Philippines. Ida, Rachel, George, Rich and I enjoyed a nine hour outstanding Regent Seven Seas Voyager excursion on Corregidor. We took a ninety minute fast ferry ride from Manila to this tadpole shaped island, known as the Gibraltar of the East. Shown first is Ida boarding our trolley that moved us all around the island. First, we visited Middside Barracks that was destroyed by heavy bombing during the Corregidor battle.

We visited many of the heavy gun artillery positions used during WWII against the invading Japanese forces.

You note pictures of Ida and I, Rachel and Ida, and Rich, Ida, George and Rachel in front of different gun positions. And we have a picture of all five of us in front of the huge artillery piece that fired 4omm rounds weighing 1000 lbs over 8 miles.

Also, shown is a picture of the bombed out longest Barracks in the World (topside barracks)that housed up to 6000 soldiers. The Philippines was a coveted posting as these soldiers had a comfortable barracks, their own pool and movie house. Plus, the beach was just a short walk away.

We had a very nice lunch of fish and pork and then took pictures with the three blogateers (Rich, Rachel and I). We then took a group picture of all of us.

We then headed to the Pacific War Memorial and the Topside parade ground memorial close to the PWM.

Finally we headed for a tour inside Malinda tunnel and a visit to MacArthur memorial at Lorch point where Gen MacArthur left the Philippines for Darwin, Australia.

This was a terrific excursion--well done, if you recall the opening of the movie Titantic, this is how we felt walking the hallowed grounds of Corregidor--you could imagine the concussions of bombs being dropped imagine you smelled the cordite/gunpowder, and witnessed the bravery of the American military fighting side by side the Philippine military.

We will shortly leave Manila enroute to Taiwan.

Will download pictures either late tonight or early morn.

Zqueeze, a promise is a promise: This San Miguel is for you! (Actually it was for me, but you know what I mean.)

53de6b2ce59d433359ae833b784a60ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich: You are the man! Thanks for remembering and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Z and TB