Long Cruises

papaflamingo

We are experienced cruisers, but not with Regents. We are looking at booking 44 nights to the South Pacific. It will be our first experience with Regents, and by far, the longest cruise we've ever taken. The longest we have done is 19 nights back to back but on larger cruise lines. My wife is concerned about being on the ship for that length of time. I have no concern. Does anyone have any thoughts? I know this is very subjective, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

One thing to keep in mind is that Regent has smaller ships than what you may be used to. Some of the common areas may start to feel a bit 'stale' after a certain time. But when we cruise, we enjoy the people and places as much as the ship. We've met some fascinating people over the years.

As you said, it's very subjective. Our longest cruise was about 2 weeks so I can't comment from personal experience, but I CAN say that at the end of our longer cruises, we always wish we were on board longer. I can always find something to do on board to keep me busy. If it wasn't for our pesky 'job' things and having a dog at home, I think I could easily live on a Regent ship. :D

A couple of years ago we did a 30 day cruise that with travel and extra time at the beginning and end was 40 days away from home. It was the longest one we had done with most of ours around 14 to 16 nights. i 'hit' the wall at 15 nights and was questioning myself as to how i was going to make it through the last half. That feeling lasted 1 day and by the next morning i was ready and looking forward to continuing. At the end i couldn't believe how fast the time had flown by. Good luck with your decision.

We were of the 14-day-max cruisers group since we were both working and could not take more time off than that. Retirement came along and we booked an 87-night Grand Voyage on Regent (having previously sailed on this line several times) that started 3 days after our retirement date. We, too, wondered how we'd fare with such a huge jump in cruise length. Turned out it wasn't a problem at all! The following year we ended up with 92 nights (B2B2B) and next year will be on the Navigator WC. We really enjoy the environment, the crew, and (for the most part) our fellow passengers. Hope you will, too!

Which ship are you on? Navigator is particularly small and can feel a bit claustrophic at times, although in the South Seas that should not be a big problem.

The other issue is being away from home for that long. We have been away twice now for a month, and it's not a problem for us, but for some 44 days might be.

What is the itinerary? When you say South Pacific, does that mean you are crossing the Pacific Ocean, so lots of sea days. Are you up for that? I don't see a 44-day itinerary like that listed on the website--which is it?

We've done three weeks on a cruise that included four days straight at sea on Voyager. I think you will love it if you find some friends on board with similar interests such as card or Mah jong playing. Also I found I needed good discipline to not overeat at meals or it became too much over time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

PapaF,

My first question is, what are your wife's concerns? The specifics need to be addressed.

As a veteran of two extended cruises, a 71 night cruise on Navigator in 2008 and a 120 night Crystal Serenity World Cruise in 2016, I understand about "hitting walls." Yes, as 1982CruzStart says, you do bounce back. It may be after a few too many seadays. Ports always break up the monotony.

You will make friends to do things with on and off the ship. With different segments, new people disembark and embark, changing the air on the ship.

There are different activities on the ship, like bridge lessons on longer cruises, lectures, cooking demonstrations, wine tastings, needlepoint, bingo, trivia, sporting competitions like baggo, golf, etc, and events like Equator Crossings.

You will find that you will settle into a routine while on board.

Hope this helps.

P.S., I am booked on the Navigator 89 night Grand Arctic Splendors for 2018. Looking forward to anothe rextended journey!

This is an interesting question as it is constantly discussed in our household. DW and I are in our mid-70s but still cruise and travel extensively.I prefer 20 days or more and she says 10 days are enough. We did a Sydney/Hong Kong cruise a few years ago and to be polite a lot went wrong. When it ended, however, we both said best cruise ever. We always discuss leaving our corgi twins--nearing 10 as a limiting factor; and it will be, so I would say the reason for reluctance is important.

Neither of us have ever felt the experience of traveling has been a problem; here I include the ship or itinerary if we are on land.

We do opt for PH or above depending on ship and itinerary.

Conclusion, lots of discussion ahead of time to be sure we are on the same page. After decision enjoyment:D

We just finished 28 days on Navigator. I didn't find the length of the voyage a problem, but I didn't especially like the Navigator itself nor the daily activities. We are not fans of putt putt, bridge, mahjong, trivia, or boutique and spa "lectures" so that left reading, napping, and some Smithsonian lectures. The passengers also skewed older and this was a segment of the world cruise which changed the dynamics of the voyage.

In contrast, we were on Voyager in May for 21 days and loved all the ports, cherished the sea days and we were impressed with the activities. This was an "Artful Travelers" cruise so we had a panel of documentarians and other PBS folks giving lectures. You could also sign up for group dinners with them and meet and greet cocktails. I could have easily spent another 21 days with this group.

We are experienced cruisers, but not with Regents. We are looking at booking 44 nights to the South Pacific. It will be our first experience with Regents, and by far, the longest cruise we've ever taken. The longest we have done is 19 nights back to back but on larger cruise lines. My wife is concerned about being on the ship for that length of time. I have no concern. Does anyone have any thoughts? I know this is very subjective, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Wow! What a thought-provoking posting. Yes, a lot depends onyou and your wife, especially what her concerns are.

We love cruising and Regent (8 cruises and 200 nights onMariner, Voyager and Explorer). Did a 33 night Asian cruise on Voyager; I verymuch enjoyed it but was more than ready to head home. When we disembarked inHK, DW wept “I want to stay on-board”.

Which ship are you on? Navigator is particularly small and can feel a bit claustrophic at times, although in the South Seas that should not be a big problem.

The other issue is being away from home for that long. We have been away twice now for a month, and it's not a problem for us, but for some 44 days might be.

What is the itinerary? When you say South Pacific, does that mean you are crossing the Pacific Ocean, so lots of sea days. Are you up for that? I don't see a 44-day itinerary like that listed on the website--which is it?

Thank you all for your perspectives. The cruise is 3 segments on Mariner, Honolulu to Papayette, Papayette to Aukland, and Aukland to Sydney. What attracted me was that it hits a number of South Sea Islands, New Zealand, and part of Australia, then we'll spend an extra day or so in Sydney. Also, includes Business Class back home.

To answer some questions, we have done 30 cruises but they have been on Royal Caribbean for the most part. I recently retired and have the time off now for this cruise. We have wanted to do New Zealand and the South Pacific for years. I looked at the options and it's very difficult to put things together to do it all on other lines. This cruise does it all. I think my wife's concerns are being on a ship for so many days, and, oddly, the amount of food we might eat. I know, "first world problem." I have told her that we would have to pace ourselves and eat more like we do at home. Salads sometimes, smaller dinners, baked chicken, etc. One important point is that we have come to love the peacefulness of being at sea. We don't need all the "bells and whistles" that big ships offer. We enjoy the smaller ships in Royal Caribbean's fleet. We like to relax on the balcony and read a book. The longest sea stretch is 4 days. We've done that before no problem. But she worries about this stuff. I don't. So I felt I'd get perspectives of those who have done Regents before. Thank you all, and any other perspective is greatly appreciated.

I think my wife's concerns are being on a ship for so many days, and, oddly, the amount of food we might eat. I know, "first world problem." I have told her that we would have to pace ourselves and eat more like we do at home. Salads sometimes, smaller dinners, baked chicken, etc.

PapaF,

Congrats on your retirement. It is a wonderful life!!

On my 120 night World Cruise last year, I lost 2.5 lbs. Still not sure how I did it and neither did my doctor!! :D

We are booked on the Honolulu to Papeete segment. We have done multiple long cruises including 2 Regent World cruises on Voyager and full circumnavigation of South America on the Mariner. We LOVED them. I think you have a fabulous itinerary and I'm guessing you'll love the Mariner.

With this said, I think you need to address Beth's question since we don't really know what your wife's concerns are. Everyone is different...My husband and I have NEVER been bored on any cruise and we much prefer the smaller ships.

We are booked on the Honolulu to Papeete segment. We have done multiple long cruises including 2 Regent World cruises on Voyager and full circumnavigation of South America on the Mariner. We LOVED them. I think you have a fabulous itinerary and I'm guessing you'll love the Mariner.

With this said, I think you need to address Beth's question since we don't really know what your wife's concerns are. Everyone is different...My husband and I have NEVER been bored on any cruise and we much prefer the smaller ships.

Thanks for the info. I think she's just looking at the length and concerned with that amount of time on a ship. But we've mostly cruised the Caribbean on larger ships. We usually go with a group, so it's "action packed," and can be quite exhausting. As I told her this would be a more relaxed cruise when at sea. We also enjoy that aspect of the smaller ships, just relaxing on the balcony, so I think she'll really enjoy it. It's really why I asked the question, to see if others had felt the same. I really appreciate all the input.

One more comment on my wife's concerns. After talking with her this morning, one of her main concerns is the amount of salt used in food preparation and the swelling it causes. On our last cruise on RCCL, both of us, after 7 nights, had quite a bit of swelling in our ankles. Her concern is the affects of 44 nights of this. Any thoughts or experiences?

papaflamingo: I too had problems with ankles/ foot swelling. Even had calf swelling...all due to extra salt in the food and from the way fresh drinking water is treated on board the ship. As much as I tried to avoid the salt, by day 5 or 6 I was in 'full swell'. So I took it up with my doctor. The trick is to elevate the ankles above your heart. And to do that for about 20 - 30 minutes every day. Worked like a charm for me. No more swelling no matter how long the trip.

While it isn't the easiest thing to do I lay on my back on the sofa in the suite and rest my feet on the wall next to the sofa. I know it sounds strange and isn't the most elegant thing in the world but it works. And since I am closer in age to 70 than I am to 60 and not exactly in athletic shape, if I can do it than anybody can. Try it at home and you will see that it is very doable. And what a difference it makes when you are cruising!!

Well we did a 30 day cruise on "O", nice time and enjoyed it much. However we did get a little tired of eat in the restaurants every night. We a had a nice suite so that made it better. But you have to let you butler know what you want, some nights we just wanted to watch a movie and a tuna sandwich with out all the fuss. If you like sea days that will be a plus. But even as much as we like to cruise I was happy to get off the ship and go home. Would I take a 30+ days again, no, but I'm glad we did it once.

papaflamingo: I too had problems with ankles/ foot swelling. Even had calf swelling...all due to extra salt in the food and from the way fresh drinking water is treated on board the ship. As much as I tried to avoid the salt, by day 5 or 6 I was in 'full swell'. So I took it up with my doctor. The trick is to elevate the ankles above your heart. And to do that for about 20 - 30 minutes every day. Worked like a charm for me. No more swelling no matter how long the trip.

While it isn't the easiest thing to do I lay on my back on the sofa in the suite and rest my feet on the wall next to the sofa. I know it sounds strange and isn't the most elegant thing in the world but it works. And since I am closer in age to 70 than I am to 60 and not exactly in athletic shape, if I can do it than anybody can. Try it at home and you will see that it is very doable. And what a difference it makes when you are cruising!!

I had this problem on our cruise as well, MIA-Lima, and presumed it was the salt in the food, although I did not find most dishes over-salted. But then after the cruise we were in Lima for a few days, then Ecuador, and my ankles swelled back up, so I think it was the heat perhaps.

I did put my feet up on pillows and that worked a treat. As soon we got home, feet back to normal.

I concur that the worst part of a long cruise is eating too much. It's almost impossible not to indulge to some extent. Our latest was 18 days, longest yet, and I shudder to think how much I gained--have not had the courage to step on the scale yet!

Deepfreeze, We loved our cruise in that part of the world. DW while ecstatic was still ready to go home.

PF, We did a longish cruise in an OS on Oceania. There was a scale in the bathroom. Thank Goodness. After 5 days the increase was 5 lbs. I changed from my full breakfast to oatmeal or similar and by the time we left Nautica the gain was down to 3 lbs. What a bummer as a big breakfast is one of my pure joys.

It shows, however, care does pay and serious problems can be avoided.

Thank you all for your thoughts and experiences. Hamasgirl, I'll try the feet elevation thing. We are headed out again in July for 19 nights so I think I'll have a chance to try it.

Deepfreeze, We loved our cruise in that part of the world. DW while ecstatic was still ready to go home.

PF, We did a longish cruise in an OS on Oceania. There was a scale in the bathroom. Thank Goodness. After 5 days the increase was 5 lbs. I changed from my full breakfast to oatmeal or similar and by the time we left Nautica the gain was down to 3 lbs. What a bummer as a big breakfast is one of my pure joys.

It shows, however, care does pay and serious problems can be avoided.

Oh boy, you've got discipline! (I don't.) I did cut back on my breakfasts, but just cut down on bread and meat, sticking to eggs and fruit.

In my case, I don't think it's the food I eat (because I don't think I eat *that* much more on board) - but it's more likely the pre dinner drinks, the glasses of wine with dinner (how many!?) the post-prandial cocktail and so on....every night! I (really!) don't drink a lot, but it adds up, doesn't it?

In my case, I don't think it's the food I eat (because I don't think I eat *that* much more on board) - but it's more likely the pre dinner drinks, the glasses of wine with dinner (how many!?) the post-prandial cocktail and so on....every night! I (really!) don't drink a lot, but it adds up, doesn't it?

Yes, but so much fun,no?