Connoisseur Tour or Balcony cabin in Alaska?

txwriter

We took a connoisseur tour last June and it was great, plus our (suite) balcony had a 'obstructive' view. In reality (for us) this was just one metal pole supporting part of the mainframe of the boat, and did not both us at all, nor interfere with the view. Admittedly this was a suite balcony so larger than a normal one, but in line with other comments I recall seeing, in general it is not much of an obstacle.

The tour is great as it includes the majority of your meals, and you can choose whatever you want from the A La Carte menus, including the really expensive lobster and steak, plus it incorporates some of the more expensive (if paid for separately) and worthwhile tours whilst on land, and it is good to be together in a group for a week, then bump into them on the ship the following week to 'catch up'. Also, you get ad hoc entertainment and snacks thrown in, a great tour director to organise and cater for all your needs, a free cocktail evening and some general extra touches and 'get together' events.

Personally I would go for the former option you mention, as the tour is great, and you will still get a balcony with a beam on it that shouldn't cause you too much an issue.

Whatever you choose, have fun!

Definitely Balcony. Did the AK cruise tour in May and would not have missed the balcony experience that we had. It was great being able to wake up and see the scenery every morning and go out on the balcony anytime and see a different view. Most nights we just got our drinks and stood out there with our binoculars and zoomed in on the wonders that are Alaska.

Tour. In Alaska, there are often times when the balcony is of little use. We took an obstructed view guarantee north bound last summer. After getting cabin in that category, we were offered two upsells to a balcony which we declined. Got upgraded to a mini without a balcony, but right next to outside door at front of ship

I'd take the connoisseur tour in a heartbeat over the balcony. We did the tour last June and it was wonderful. Nothing to worry about. Nothing to figure out. We've sailed Alaska twice (so far :)) and didn't have a balcony either time.

Thanks for the replies, but it looks like I need to clarify that it is either Balcony OR connoisseur tour. We would do obstructed ocean view not balcony if picking connoisseur tour.

We spend hours and hours on our balcony in Alaska rain or shine.

Would never cruise there without one. ;)

Definitely would choose the connoisseur tour. It is a great way to see the interior of Alaska without any worries. The tour guide took care of everything, including dinner reservations at the times we wanted. Also, although I can't "prove" it, I believe that the connoisseur tours get the best rooms with the best views at the Princess Lodges (just my observation at the 4 lodges we stayed at). Also, on the cruise, we had a number of cloudy and cool (and rainy) days, so we did not use our balcony very much.

I would definitely to the connoisseur tour. Did this last May and it was outstanding. The tour guide was there to help every step of the way and the service was wonderful. That's the advice from here in Keller, Texas!

Thanks for the replies, but it looks like I need to clarify that it is either Balcony OR connoisseur tour. We would do obstructed ocean view not balcony if picking connoisseur tour.

I guess the quality of the tour is important. Last time we did this a couple on the tour had an inside cabin so they spent a good amount of time on our aft balcony! As already said, when on board you can always be on deck.

Personally I found the balcony very useful on the Alaska cruise but if the budget rules then I would say the better tour is the best value option.

I would definitely to the connoisseur tour. Did this last May and it was outstanding. The tour guide was there to help every step of the way and the service was wonderful. That's the advice from here in Keller, Texas!

Well, howdy neighbor! :D (We are in Bedford.)

I'm slightly hijacking my own thread to ask how did you find the weather? Temperature wise how does it compare to here (time of year/month is helpful)? We are planning a May trip too. I am also concerned about allergies. Mountain cedar has been a thorn in my side this year, and cottonwood is the bane to my existence. Do I need to pack the entire allergy arsenal?

I think you need to decide what's most important, steak for view. You can see the same stuff on either tour. If your taste runs to a four course meal, then maybe the Connoisseur Tour is worth it. If you're happy with a sandwich for dinner, then go with the balcony. It's not like there is anything you need to worry about on the regular tour. They give you exact details about luggage, meeting places, times, etc. A bus is a bus and a train is a train. All of the drivers are excellent guides. For me the Connoisseur tour would have been a waste of money.

Pick the Connoisseur tour. Yes, a balcony is nice, but you can go outside on deck to get the great views that Alaska offers.

You can read about our Connoisseur tour at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1727858

Well, howdy neighbor! :D (We are in Bedford.)

I'm slightly hijacking my own thread to ask how did you find the weather? Temperature wise how does it compare to here (time of year/month is helpful)? We are planning a May trip too. I am also concerned about allergies. Mountain cedar has been a thorn in my side this year, and cottonwood is the bane to my existence. Do I need to pack the entire allergy arsenal?

Good to hear from a fellow Texan. On this trip the weather was great and maybe even a little too warm for Alaska. Several days we checked the weather back home and it was cooler in Keller than it was in Alaska. Our other trips to Alaska were also in May and the weather was very cool but not so cold you couldn't enjoy being outside. I can't speak to the allergies since they don't bother me. Have a good trip!

I can't really tell which would be better but I CAN tell you our decision process. We went to Alaska in 2012 and stayed in a window suite (suite but no balcony but did have large windows although dirty with water and salt residue). We just went up on deck to get a 360 degree view. We went near the beginning of June and weather was cold. I could not imagine sitting out on a balcony for long.

Fast forward to this past December. We decided to do another Alaska cruise in 2018 but this time do a land tour too (didn't do that in 2012). I asked lots of questions on this board and the Alaska board. One of my questions had to do with the Connoisseur tour. It seems that people who took it loved it and respond on these threads with that info. Less people who took the Denali Explorer tours respond although they seemed to like their tours too. Mostly people who took Connoisseur tour mentioned details while Denali Explorer people did not. At least one respondent did give some details. No one had ever done both tours and could compare them.

For us we were going to get a balcony anyways so the big question was do we spring for the extra money (can't remember but I think it would have been $900 more per person) for the Connoisseur tour or just do the Denali Explorer. We looked at the menus for the different restaurants at the lodges (it seemed like they had a lot of the same things) and definitely decided we could eat for far less. We did upgrade our tour at one of the lodges (can't remember which one) to the Tundra Wilderness Tour (included in Connoisseur but Denali Explorer has a shorter and not as good tour.. name of which escapes me at the moment). We also added in tips to people and still came out much less. Seeing as it is now several months later I can't remember what else we did to compare.

Over all it is a personal money issue. I felt I should do the Connoisseur because so many people seemed to love it yet I could not see it worth the extra $$ involved. If you want do a search on Princess forum and also Alaska forum under my username to try to find my posts from very beginning of December to find the threads and read what others had said.

Whichever you choose I am sure you will have a wonderful vacation.

I can't really tell which would be better but I CAN tell you our decision process. We went to Alaska in 2012 and stayed in a window suite (suite but no balcony but did have large windows although dirty with water and salt residue). We just went up on deck to get a 360 degree view. We went near the beginning of June and weather was cold. I could not imagine sitting out on a balcony for long.

Fast forward to this past December. We decided to do another Alaska cruise in 2018 but this time do a land tour too (didn't do that in 2012). I asked lots of questions on this board and the Alaska board. One of my questions had to do with the Connoisseur tour. It seems that people who took it loved it and respond on these threads with that info. Less people who took the Denali Explorer tours respond although they seemed to like their tours too. Mostly people who took Connoisseur tour mentioned details while Denali Explorer people did not. At least one respondent did give some details. No one had ever done both tours and could compare them.

For us we were going to get a balcony anyways so the big question was do we spring for the extra money (can't remember but I think it would have been $900 more per person) for the Connoisseur tour or just do the Denali Explorer. We looked at the menus for the different restaurants at the lodges (it seemed like they had a lot of the same things) and definitely decided we could eat for far less. We did upgrade our tour at one of the lodges (can't remember which one) to the Tundra Wilderness Tour (included in Connoisseur but Denali Explorer has a shorter and not as good tour.. name of which escapes me at the moment). We also added in tips to people and still came out much less. Seeing as it is now several months later I can't remember what else we did to compare.

Over all it is a personal money issue. I felt I should do the Connoisseur because so many people seemed to love it yet I could not see it worth the extra $$ involved. If you want do a search on Princess forum and also Alaska forum under my username to try to find my posts from very beginning of December to find the threads and read what others had said.

Whichever you choose I am sure you will have a wonderful vacation.

Definitely balcony on the appropriate side for Glacier Bay. We ate simply on our Denali Explorer tour and did not go on the Princess park tour but used the Eielson shuttle. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2371979