Background Music - over and over and over and over...

Greyhound3

Just off the Grand on the Mexico itinerary and noticed that the background music played almost everywhere on board was a loop of the same 18 songs played over and over again, just about all of which I'm trying VERY hard to forget. It reminded me of 1960's era AM radio - the same 20 songs every hour. On a 10 day cruise, I'll tell you, that gets old really fast. If I had heard Steven Tyler screaming one more time at the end of "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing", I may have gone clear out of my mind. :eek:

Princess, is it really that difficult to load an iPod with 500 or 600 songs of different genres (we aren't ALL 20-somethings, y'know), set it on shuffle mode, and connect it to the sound system? Sheesh, you wouldn't even have to schedule a drydock for this... how about it?

Grey

Edited by Greyhound3

I have to admit it slipped my mind, even though I had multiple opportunities. The current CD, Aaron Mac, was everywhere during the cruise - very approachable and a darn nice guy.

Grey

I don't think I've ever noticed any background music playing onboard. Is this something new or am I just really that unobservant? Sounds weird to me. Wouldn't in conflict with the music being played live in the atrium, etc.???

Each ship is required to track what songs and how many times they play it during a month. Royalty fees are then paid on those songs. Don't know if there is a "discount" on repeating songs or if it's a flat fee per song, It definitely can get annoying!

I know that it is expected but I truly, TRULY am bothered by the Hawaiian music on the Hawaiian cruises when it is played over and over and over again. Not everyone who cruise to Hawaii do it for the cultural immersion.

It drives me crazy on a 10-day cruise. Imagine being a bartender and having to listen to the same 18 songs for 10 months...

Yes, they have all the reason to complain. They can't put on earplugs since they won't hear the guests' orders.

I don't think I've ever noticed any background music playing onboard. Is this something new or am I just really that unobservant? Sounds weird to me. Wouldn't in conflict with the music being played live in the atrium, etc.???

Same here. Never noticed it. I'll have to be more aware on our upcoming cruise.

Each ship is required to track what songs and how many times they play it during a month. Royalty fees are then paid on those songs. Don't know if there is a "discount" on repeating songs or if it's a flat fee per song, It definitely can get annoying!

No,

They buy a royalty package, no need to count how many times each song is played.

Hi Thrak,

Just letting you know on the Rowboat. We only play " A Pirates life is a wonderfull life". If you don't like it :mad:No rum for you :o :o. Only that Princess Champagne they make in the boiler room on Thursday.

From the Captain of the Rowboat.

Tony

Just off the Grand on the Mexico itinerary and noticed that the background music played almost everywhere on board was a loop of the same 18 songs played over and over again, just about all of which I'm trying VERY hard to forget. It reminded me of 1960's era AM radio - the same 20 songs every hour. On a 10 day cruise, I'll tell you, that gets old really fast. If I had heard Steven Tyler screaming one more time at the end of "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing", I may have gone clear out of my mind. :eek:

Princess, is it really that difficult to load an iPod with 500 or 600 songs of different genres (we aren't ALL 20-somethings, y'know), set it on shuffle mode, and connect it to the sound system? Sheesh, you wouldn't even have to schedule a drydock for this... how about it?

Grey

Great idea.

No,

They buy a royalty package, no need to count how many times each song is played.

Just passing on what we were told on a behind the scenes tour. That ship had to let someone know how many times and what songs were played. Don't know more than that.

Just passing on what we were told on a behind the scenes tour. That ship had to let someone know how many times and what songs were played. Don't know more than that.

As someone who has dealt with music and film rights on many levels, you were given an oversimplified explanation in hopes that it would pacify your curiosity. Believe me, the last thing anyone wants to do is count song rotations 24 hours a day.

As someone who has dealt with music and film rights on many levels, you were given an oversimplified explanation in hopes that it would pacify your curiosity. Believe me, the last thing anyone wants to do is count song rotations 24 hours a day.

No need to get snarky. Glad you know it all. Give up trying to offer any help. That is what is wrong with cruise critic. Everyone thinks they are THE expert.

Did you give this as a comment on the post-cruise survey?

By the way, I do not remember any background music on Princess having anything other than the music itself. No singing. No screaming.

Music played outside on the pool deck is something different.

I know that it is expected but I truly, TRULY am bothered by the Hawaiian music on the Hawaiian cruises when it is played over and over and over again. Not everyone who cruise to Hawaii do it for the cultural immersion.

I actually enjoy the Hawaiian music. It gets me in the mood for visiting the islands. Our last three cruises were the Hawaiian ones, with the last two featuring Elua as the cultural ambassadors. My hubby and I would check the Patter to see where and when they're performing every day.

It drives me crazy on a 10-day cruise. Imagine being a bartender and having to listen to the same 18 songs for 10 months...

when I was first out of college and working at a store while job hunting, the owners would put the radio on some dorky (IMO) station. Every day, I would hear "You Light Up My Life," a song I detested. when the owners were gone for the day, we would switch the station to one playing jazz.

I was on six Carnival cruises and I got so sick of hearing the same songs over and over again "dude looks like a lady" for every pool game (no wonder I hate pool games) and "Hot Hot Hot" (which by the time we got married, I told the party place owner that in no way, shape, or form, do I want to hear that song)

I actually enjoy the Hawaiian music. It gets me in the mood for visiting the islands. Our last three cruises were the Hawaiian ones' date=' with the last two featuring Elua as the cultural ambassadors. My hubby and I would check the Patter to see where and when they're performing every day."[/color']

That would work perfectly fine with me. The music is in a specific area for entertainment but the Grand plays it all over the ship and all throughout the day. That's the part that I find annoying and yes, we've also been to Hawaii three times on Princess and going again next month. We go for the sea days, and the beautiful nature on the islands. I certainly wouldn't want to take away the arts and cultural entertainment that is offered on board. I know that many people enjoy it.

We cruised 15 days SF/Hawaii on Star Princess and there was absolutely no Hawaiian music at all. It was sad. The did offer Ukulele lessons and Lei making lessons but that was it. We might as well have been on a cruise to Russia or somewhere for all one could tell from the shipboard atmosphere. The CD was JJ Ulrich and we didn't care for him at all. I asked about the Wake Show trivia and he said something like, "Oh, yeah. I need to pull those forms. I don't do that stuff.". I mentioned a previous CD we liked a lot and he just smirked and said something like, "Oh, yeah. He's a bit "different". The wake show was pretty much all done from venues that have extra charges and were like an advertisement to get you to spend money. Hopefully we will never have this particular CD again. We had really thought there would be something around the ship - music, decor, something - to show it was a Hawaiian cruise. Nope. Not a freaking thing.