When Does CATS end on Oasis?

We are considering, for our 2019 cruise, going with friends who have never been on an Oasis Class. There have been several threads on which ship to choose. For me, one of the top factors will be if Oasis still has CATS in late April of 2019. For speculators, or people in the know what do you think? The history of the OASIS class ships more than 5 years old seems to indicate the shows have a 5 year contract. I never did see Hair Spray and went on OASIS when it had CATS. I'm glad I did it, but its definitely a NEVER AGAIN for me. My wife would see it again gladly, and she could take the lady from the other couple while HE and I did, I don't know, anything! I'm not totally bashing CATS, I hope some of you remember by Blue Collar review of it from last May.

I'm guessing we may book while on Adventure in about 8 weeks, if those itineraries are open. The slides of Harmony are no big attraction to me, they might be to my friend, and I may try them, that would be one year further past my back surgery. Getting back to shows, the main show on either Harmony or Allure would be fine for me. We saw Chicago last time on Allure. I'm assuming people think the aqua theater show is a toss up among all 3. I was very pleased with the 2nd aqua show, "splish splash" on Oasis, they didn't have that on Allure in 2011 or 2013. Anything like that on Harmony? Pricing wise might be a factor, hopefully Harmony won't be at a premium by then.

Of course Oasis IV, or should we just start calling it Symphony of the Seas could really change all this. I just started a thread for a cruise more than 700 days out, so feel free to reply with fact, conjecture, criticism, or just up your post count.

Edited by BillOh
typos

Cats probably is a lock for a few more years. I think it's contract was for something like 6-8 years, and it started less than 3 years ago, so we are stuck with the mess for a while.

I haven't heard that, but have no reason to dispute that. I was going on the 5 year history of Chicago and Hairspray. If my memory is correct, Oasis debuted in 2009 and Cats started in 2014. That would put the 5 year close to our anticipated cruise date.

I haven't heard that, but have no reason to dispute that. I was going on the 5 year history of Chicago and Hairspray. If my memory is correct, Oasis debuted in 2009 and Cats started in 2014. That would put the 5 year close to our anticipated cruise date.

The schedule will also match the dry-dock time for the Oasis. That's when they would do the costly and timely changeover.

IIRC, the last time, it went over to Europe in the spring of 2014, did the dry dock, stayed for a few months in the Med, and returned in early September. I would bet 2019 will be similar.

And I think it should be pretty firm that a dry dock will happen in 2019, since it seems to be a pretty strict 5 year schedule for the inspections.

• Like 1

Both Hairspray and Chicago were changed at the 5 year dry dock so Cats would either be on for 5 years or 10 as they can't change the show out without a drydock. My bet would be on the 5 year mark.

Also since Oasis will be having her 5 year drydock in 2019 she will most likely be doing a TA in the spring of 2019 so I'm not sure if this would impact your preferred cruise dates in April 2019.

The schedule will also match the dry-dock time for the Oasis. That's when they would do the costly and timely changeover.

IIRC, the last time, it went over to Europe in the spring of 2014, did the dry dock, stayed for a few months in the Med, and returned in early September. I would bet 2019 will be similar.

And I think it should be pretty firm that a dry dock will happen in 2019, since it seems to be a pretty strict 5 year schedule for the inspections.

Both Hairspray and Chicago were changed at the 5 year dry dock so Cats would either be on for 5 years or 10 as they can't change the show out without a drydock. My bet would be on the 5 year mark.

Also since Oasis will be having her 5 year drydock in 2019 she will most likely be doing a TA in the spring of 2019 so I'm not sure if this would impact your preferred cruise dates in April 2019.

These two posts have some validity, and we know Royal can change plans. Maybe instead of booking this one on our 2017 cruise we might wait till 2018.

These two posts have some validity, and we know Royal can change plans. Maybe instead of booking this one on our 2017 cruise we might wait till 2018.

The dry dock will happen for sure. Experts here have pointed out the 5 year schedule isn't flexible.

But the question of whether Cats will change or not is valid. I would expect it would. Not because of popularity (which has both plus and minus), but to just change to give us different things to see. It's not unreasonable to think that an average customer would sail one of these ships every 5 years.

The dry dock will happen for sure. Experts here have pointed out the 5 year schedule isn't flexible.

But the question of whether Cats will change or not is valid. I would expect it would. Not because of popularity (which has both plus and minus), but to just change to give us different things to see. It's not unreasonable to think that an average customer would sail one of these ships every 5 years.

I don't know whether or not Cats will leave during the 2019 dry dock, but the regular production shows often last much more than five years. Repeat customers having already seen the shows is not a prime consideration for Royal Caribbean.

I have read a few reports of delays being granted, I thought I remembered at least one big ship in Royal's fleet being delayed a year once. (again my questionable memory)

I don't know whether or not Cats will leave during the 2019 dry dock, but the regular production shows often last much more than five years. Repeat customers having already seen the shows is not a prime consideration for Royal Caribbean.

To me, those shows are different. With the full musicals, they are a much higher feature, to the point that they will draw some customers to those ships. And so far, the only ship that hasn't changed it's show is the Liberty and Saturday Night Fever.

Plus, the licencing fees will be totally different- I doubt any of the RCI owned shows will change much- there's no extended licence fee or contract time to worry about. So while it's likely that a show like We Will Rock You will change, I don't see The Gift changing.

To me, those shows are different. With the full musicals, they are a much higher feature, to the point that they will draw some customers to those ships. And so far, the only ship that hasn't changed it's show is the Liberty and Saturday Night Fever.

Plus, the licencing fees will be totally different- I doubt any of the RCI owned shows will change much- there's no extended licence fee or contract time to worry about. So while it's likely that a show like We Will Rock You will change, I don't see The Gift changing.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I'll have to go google the RC/CATS announcement and see if I can find anything.

Old Post from the RC Blog.

Royal Caribbean announced today Andrew Lloyd Weber's Broadway musical CATS is coming to Oasis of the Seas following the ship's refurbishment in the fall of 2014.

Well that agrees with my memory and probably settles my primary question, it will probably still be there April of 2019.

On one of our Freedom theater tours, I asked our host/guide crew member why the Ice show has been the same for so long. As with other shows on other ships, it is obviously expensive to change out the costumes, the set, and retrain the performers.

He said it was cheaper to just send the ship to a new home port, picking up a whole new set of cruisers (for the most part anyway) that had not seen the show yet. It was fresh and new for them. ;)

On one of our Freedom theater tours, I asked our host/guide crew member why the Ice show has been the same for so long. As with other shows on other ships, it is obviously expensive to change out the costumes, the set, and retrain the performers.

He said it was cheaper to just send the ship to a new home port, picking up a whole new set of cruisers (for the most part anyway) that had not seen the show yet. It was fresh and new for them. ;)

Whilst that is true RC don't seem to move their ships that much.

Old Post from the RC Blog.

[/font]

Well that agrees with my memory and probably settles my primary question, it will probably still be there April of 2019.

I was in the audience for the first full showing of CATS on Oasis Oasis TA sailing Oct 14/14

• Like 1

We had reservations for cats on our last sea day, on our 1/22 cruise. When we got there, the crew member at the door told us the show was cancelled due to technical problems, and the previous show was cancelled also (though they never bothered to inform passengers of that in advance).

For some reason we still had a great time on the cruise. ;) I don't cruise a ship (or not cruise) due to whatever show is featured on a ship. If I don't like what the featured show is....I simply don't go. :cool:

We had our 2 girls read Old Possums Book of Practical Cats and after reading that, they loved the play as they were familiar with the poems set to music other than Memory. Also they knew the back story about T. S. Eliot.

How can anyone not like Bustopher Jones, the St. James's Street cat?

Can't attest to quality of musical, but when we saw it in London, it was great. I would love to see it on Oasis, hoping they did not cancel the performance! :rolleyes:

We were on the 1/29 sailing. I had no plans to see Cats as 1) I have seen twice on and off Broadway and while I enjoyed it both times, it just doesn't seem like something I would want to watch on a cruise, and 2) I knew my husband would not want to sit through it as he hates musicals.:D We were just walking around the ship one day and stopped in the theater during the second half of the show. The sets were beautiful and the music & singing was amazing. I stayed for about 20 minutes but husband did not stick around.

I was surprised at how empty the theater was, maybe 1/3 full. I doubt if reservations were needed that day.:D

Sherri:)