Can we STOP complaining about the MDR food?

RecoveryDude

Wondering where you were

That the lines are designed to move up as you age

Sent from my iPhone

Not necessarily as you age. As your cruising experience matures and hopefully your wallet expands, they hope that you'll try some of their higher end lines. Carnival Corp has a little something for everyone. CCL is very specifically positioned as their entry level offering. Not that CCL is bad or there's anything wrong with that. Some folks like the CCL experience and stick with what's comfortable and familiar.

You're right, we shouldn't set the bar low, but I shouldn't have to spend an extra half hour in the dining room because the server is too stupid to know a steak should be served hot. I didn't say I'd accept it, I said I'd abandon it. I would then let them know at guest services. This wasn't a scenario I put forward BTW, some others here have suggested that food comes out cold which frankly would be a surprise to me.

How's the server supposed to know the steak isn't at the temperature you like it? That's what people usually mean when they say their food is cold, it's not at the temperature they want it to be (and we're probably talking 10-15 degrees, yes, people can be that picky). In any event, I've seen other people send food back for one reason or another and it doesn't take 30 minutes to correct the order, they typically have their replacement in less than 15 minutes. Sounds like we're both working on a theory here as I've never received food that was cold. I would prefer to address the issue head on at the point of service, you don't. But obviously while it's something that may happen from time to time it doesn't happen to everyone and it doesn't necessarily mean that staffing is an issue.

Not necessarily as you age. As your cruising experience matures and hopefully your wallet expands, they hope that you'll try some of their higher end lines. Carnival Corp has a little something for everyone. CCL is very specifically positioned as their entry level offering. Not that CCL is bad or there's anything wrong with that. Some folks like the CCL experience and stick with what's comfortable and familiar.

I disagree and it seems to me you're trying very hard to sound so elitist. Carnival simply offers "ABC". Other cruise lines offer "XYZ". If I prefer ABC to XYZ, why would I go on another cruise line? The fact that Carnival is usually cheaper makes it an easier choice. If I did n't like ABC then I would find a cruise line that had XYZ and even if it cost a bit more, I would sail that line because it had what I wanted. It has nothing to do with entry level, maturing, higher cost equals better or any of that crap. It simply has to d owith finding the line that has the amenities you are willing to pay for.

I don't pay attention to who the parent corporation is that owns the actual cruise line. I know that Carnival Corporation owns Carnival Cruise Lines and many others, but without using Google I couldn't name any of the others with any certainty. If there were anything behind your theory Carnival Corporation would extend past guest benefits across their lines. (But the odds are good that if the typical cruiser does branch out to try other lines that they will book with another Carnival Corporation line.)

OK, understand and agree

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't pay attention to who the parent corporation is that owns the actual cruise line. I know that Carnival Corporation owns Carnival Cruise Lines and many others, but without using Google I couldn't name any of the others with any certainty. If there were anything behind your theory Carnival Corporation would extend past guest benefits across their lines. (But the odds are good that if the typical cruiser does branch out to try other lines that they will book with another Carnival Corporation line.)

I don't know whether they have these so that as your cruises amass you will migrate as my friend says, but I do believe it is to afford options under the Umbrella. Carnival has many options for cruisers and hope you will find one under that. A couple of years ago, during the super bowl they showed their options with more or less that very theme.

I don't know whether they have these so that as your cruises amass you will migrate as my friend says, but I do believe it is to afford options under the Umbrella. Carnival has many options for cruisers and hope you will find one under that. A couple of years ago, during the super bowl they showed their options with more or less that very theme.

That was the best commercial I think I've ever seen them put out. They should've used it more.

I was on the Legend many times and didn't like a lot of the MDR food. Decided it might be me since CC folks seemed to like most of it specifically the lasagna. Ordered it again and it was delicious. Thought something's up here. Sure enough they had a new chef, made all the difference.

I have frequently gotten not hot food. Now I tell the server the first night I've had problems with food temps and have received proper temp food.

Love reading these boards but so tired of people complaining about the "quality" of the MDR food on Carnival. THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE FINE DINING FOOD, people .... Perhaps some people just need to adjust their expectations? I consider the MDR food to be "Banquet Quality" ... which is as good as anyone should expect ... its not possible to push out thousands of "fine dining" meals in such a short amount of time. With my "Banquet Quality" expectations ... I am rarely disappointed with anything I get in the MDR, and If I am, I just order something else. Better yet I typically order multiple entrees and starters anyway and usually like at least one thing they bring. :)

If you truly want an elevated food experience ... then simply factor an extra $245 into your cruise fare and book the Steakhouse every night for your 7 night carnival cruise -

.....And before you start saying that "This line or that line has better food than CCL" ... consider that "those lines" also charge significantly MORE to book your cruise than carnivals fare + $35/day for the steakhouse.

Thank you for letting me rant. :)

Just returned from the Pride's Repo to Baltimore. We thought that the MDR food and service was very good. Between Royal, NCL and Carnival, we like Carnival MDR food the best. Princess is a level above. THIS IS ONLY OUR OPINION AND OTHERS MAY DIFFER.

What I love about reading all the complaints (and not saying there aren't some very legitimate poor food complaints) is then watching all the people pile on the food at the buffets and ask for 3 entrees and 4 desserts at dinner. or complain they had to wait 3 minutes in the omelet line for that 2nd omelet being prepared especially for them.;p

SOME of the complaints are really funny. One guy complained that they shelled his lobster for him but didn't peel his shrimp. Poor guy.

Carnival was our first cruise and RCCL was our second. Granted it has been a long time since we sailed on RCCL we have stayed with Carnival ever since and one of the reasons is their food. We prefer the selections and taste of Carnivals food. Has RCCL changed their food since than, I'm sure they have. I still think I would prefer Carnival's food choices. We even like the latest changes to Carnival's MDR.

No. We can't. Because once we accept lower quality, then we have given up.

Once we accept lower quality, Carnival will lower the quality yet again.

Once we accept lower quality, then the standards will never rise.

Do not accept. Complain about the food. Complain about the lack of tablecloths. Complain about cold entrees Complain about the lack of service. Be heard.

I will not be complacent with my money. :)

The old saying "You get what you pay for" applies. Carnival remains one of the most budget friendly cruise lines. If you want fancy white table cloths and Michelin quality chefs, check out Viking or Seabourn but be ready to shell out some serious dough! No cruise is perfect, figure out your nonnegotiables for the standards you expect and pick one that will deliver. If you keep picking the same brand and are expecting a different result, than you have no one to blame for that but you or your wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The old saying "You get what you pay for" applies. Carnival remains one of the most budget friendly cruise lines. If you want fancy white table cloths and Michelin quality chefs, check out Viking or Seabourn but be ready to shell out some serious dough! No cruise is perfect, figure out your nonnegotiables for the standards you expect and pick one that will deliver. If you keep picking the same brand and are expecting a different result, than you have no one to blame for that but you or your wallet.

Agree, especially on the wallet. Some would also say "You give me peanuts, I give you monkey".

CCL's food used to be great, but with the roll out of the American Table menu it's "Chain Store Quality" at best...

Hmmm, other than the AT menu having different items, I dont recall the food being any better or any worse than it was 9 years ago on my first Carnival cruise. The food is still pretty good to me. Must be easy to please :)

No, I do not think cruisers should quit complaining, however, the complaints should be directly with Carnival. What is odd though, since we put negatives on a questionnaire, we have not received any! We have been cruising for many years and have seen many cutbacks. During the last two there were several days where you had a much greater variety of selection for the lunch buffet then dinner in the MDR or in my opinion anyway. From what I have read on the boards over several years there will always be those that defend them to the hilt. I have always wondered if they were employees of Carnival or Travel Agents? I would have no problem with Carnival raising rates then go with further cuts.