Have you ever tried this?

hllwdcruiser

Although Steve is strictly a scotch drinker and I am perfectly happy with wine, on a cruise we really do enjoy the tropical drinks poolside. We normally prepay for a bottle (or two ;p) of Scotch to be delivered to the room which seems to turn out to be quite a savings over the bar prices.

This year we were thinking we would order the Soda and More package for each of us and then prepay for not only a bottle of scotch, but maybe a bottle of rum and one of vodka as well. Our cabin is on the Lido deck so we thought it would be really easy to order a mocktail, go back to our cabin, add a shot of rum and either enjoy it on our balcony or return to the pool.

Has anyone ever tried this? Did it work for you or is it more of a pain than the savings is worth?

We did similar with our coconut rum. Except we would put the rum in the covered cup before we went to get refills. One time the waiter thought it was water and poured it out before adding the coke:o

I've never added alcohol to drinks but if this works for you, then do it. My DH used to bring a bottle of vodka when it was allowed but that's ended. I'll never forget an older woman who showed up to play trivia pretty sloshed. As the game started, she opened her purse and pulled out a flask. She gave her Coke a big shot (or three) of rum. (Yes, she was helpless with the questions after that!)

yes do it all the time starting when the calypso bar opens in the morning, walking out of HC, order a virgin mary till after the shows at night ordering a mocktail. have purchased vodka and rum from room service and think it is not an inconvenience at all.

I don't think you will save that much money (if that is the goal) by doing it that way....a "mocktail" is only a little less expensive than a real drink.....by the time you pay for the booze by the bottle...AND the mocktail, I think you'll be losing money!

Although Steve is strictly a scotch drinker and I am perfectly happy with wine, on a cruise we really do enjoy the tropical drinks poolside. We normally prepay for a bottle (or two ;p) of Scotch to be delivered to the room which seems to turn out to be quite a savings over the bar prices.

This year we were thinking we would order the Soda and More package for each of us and then prepay for not only a bottle of scotch, but maybe a bottle of rum and one of vodka as well. Our cabin is on the Lido deck so we thought it would be really easy to order a mocktail, go back to our cabin, add a shot of rum and either enjoy it on our balcony or return to the pool.

Has anyone ever tried this? Did it work for you or is it more of a pain than the savings is worth?

It's more work than I'm willing to deal with.

It can be done, and you would be within "policy" to do what you are suggesting. I just think it's easier to get the AIBP. For us we just prefer the convenience of not thinking about beverages we order. It's not for everyone.

If your process works best for you, go for it.

We get a bottle of Tequila and order OJ with morning room service b-fast and start there, we also will order OJ in the cans,6 pack, and keep in fridge, works for us, Tequila and OJ.

I didn't know you could purchase tequila for room service. It's not on the list on their website as an item sold for room service. May I ask what label?

Try it-- then, you'll know where it fits on the convenience versus cost savings continuum for you.

I roughly estimate a 1.5 oz pour per shot for drink and the room service bottles delivery approximately 8 pours, which makes a shot of room service liquor cost in the neighborhood of $2.50 per shot (2.3 according to the calculator, but let's round up because we pour more generously ;)

So that is your basic savings versus buying direct from the bar--the mocktail cost plus 2.5. It would probably bring it in range of the Happy Hour B1G1, but not limited to happy hour location and time.

Only you can judge what is worth it. For one or two drinks, I might not bother, but for my daily Bloody Mary, I'm game to save the cost.

yes do it all the time starting when the calypso bar opens in the morning, walking out of HC, order a virgin mary till after the shows at night ordering a mocktail. have purchased vodka and rum from room service and think it is not an inconvenience at all.

I wasn't even thinking about Bloody Mary's and we love them. What a great way to start the morning - thanks for the idea!

I don't think you will save that much money (if that is the goal) by doing it that way....a "mocktail" is only a little less expensive than a real drink.....by the time you pay for the booze by the bottle...AND the mocktail, I think you'll be losing money!

I think you may have misread my post - we are going to buy the soda and more package for $8.05 a day and then buy the room service bottles. One drink with gratuity cost about $10.00 so once we have our second one we will be ahead. Although the bottles are about twice the land based prices, they are still more economical than buying all our drinks at the bar.

We did similar with our coconut rum. Except we would put the rum in the covered cup before we went to get refills. One time the waiter thought it was water and poured it out before adding the coke:o

I would have loved to have seen your expression when he did that! Thanks for the head's up - methinks we'll add the alcohol after.

I've never added alcohol to drinks but if this works for you, then do it. My DH used to bring a bottle of vodka when it was allowed but that's ended. I'll never forget an older woman who showed up to play trivia pretty sloshed. As the game started, she opened her purse and pulled out a flask. She gave her Coke a big shot (or three) of rum. (Yes, she was helpless with the questions after that!)

Too funny! I hope she wasn't on your team!

It's more work than I'm willing to deal with.

It can be done, and you would be within "policy" to do what you are suggesting. I just think it's easier to get the AIBP. For us we just prefer the convenience of not thinking about beverages we order. It's not for everyone.

If your process works best for you, go for it.

We thought about the AIBP but we just can't drink that much. We've been to many all inclusive resorts and we always start out strong but end up wiped out by the end of the week. Sadly, when we were younger we could have definitely done the package justice but it just doesn't hold true for us anymore.:o

Not to mention the difference in price is huge too - buying 3 bottles and the Soda and More package for both of us is $163.45. The AIBP for both of us - $804.30, a difference of $615.85. Plus we still have the old Coffee Selects card with unused punches and an unused New Grounds card.

I think we are going to try it. If it doesn't work there's always another cruise in our future!

Try it-- then, you'll know where it fits on the convenience versus cost savings continuum for you.

I roughly estimate a 1.5 oz pour per shot for drink and the room service bottles delivery approximately 8 pours, which makes a shot of room service liquor cost in the neighborhood of $2.50 per shot (2.3 according to the calculator, but let's round up because we pour more generously ;)

So that is your basic savings versus buying direct from the bar--the mocktail cost plus 2.5. It would probably bring it in range of the Happy Hour B1G1, but not limited to happy hour location and time.

Only you can judge what is worth it. For one or two drinks, I might not bother, but for my daily Bloody Mary, I'm game to save the cost.

Thanks for the calculations! I am most likely going to try it. Steve has given up soda in our real life but he does drink it on vacation and not having to lug his diet cokes with us in our carryons is also a win.

Of course that doesn't mean we aren't going to have our martinis at Crooners or visit the platinum elite lounge for our pre dinner $5 drinks. :D

I would have loved to have seen your expression when he did that! Thanks for the head's up - methinks we'll add the alcohol after.

Yeah, we both grabbed for the cups and said oh no! Fortunately, it was our favorite bartender and he graciously add the rum back in!

Depending on how much scotch and how much wine you drink, you could order the AIBP for Steve - not for you. He would get his scotch (and any other drinks he wanted) from the AIBP. He would purchase bottles of wine for you at 40% off using the AIBP. Even though he can't share his AIBP drinks, it is completely legal for him to share his 40% off bottles of wine. In fact, there is no reason for him to drink from those bottles - you can have the entire bottle and he would order glasses of wine (using the AIBP) if he wanted some wine.

It really depends on how much and what the two of you want to drink. I think I would get tired mixing my own drinks on vacation, but that's up to you.

I am tired already. :cool:

Maybe you should take a nap? Heard through the grapevine you retired quite some time ago (from the same field as my DH) - perhaps that's why the idea of mixing drinks exhausts you so much....;p

I am tired already. :cool:

I know -- all this work to garner a few savings, but it's all good ... we're plotting and planning for the next cruise and using the intervening time in cruise related investigations!

Couldn't one slip some room service booze into a water bottle so's not to have to leave poolside?

And then ...

If past is prologue a sip 'n sail sale is in our future -- we have 49 days covered so far.