River Cruise Travel Agent

Mda1964

Hello fellow cruisers,

I know specific travel agencies are prohibited from being named, but I need some advice on finding an agent, specifically one who can help me with a European River Cruise.

I searched CLIA and found one fairly close to me, but when I asked for information, she wouldn't proceed without receiving personal info (dates of birth, full names). We're planning on traveling in Summer 2018, and are only wanting help with the initial planning.

So, how do you choose an agent you can trust?

Mda1964

Hello fellow cruisers,

I know specific travel agencies are prohibited from being named, but I need some advice on finding an agent, specifically one who can help me with a European River Cruise.

I searched CLIA and found one fairly close to me, but when I asked for information, she wouldn't proceed without receiving personal info (dates of birth, full names). We're planning on traveling in Summer 2018, and are only wanting help with the initial planning.

So, how do you choose an agent you can trust?

Mda1964

Do you use a travel agent for ocean cruising? If so, I would start there. If not, some of the river cruise lines (not all use travel agents) web sites have links to high volume agents. Personally I wouldn't limit myself to someone close by. Our agent is with an on-line travel agency and has provided us great service and prices over the last 7 or 8 years regardless of where we were living.

While looking for an agent, make sure you look at cruise critic's River Cruising board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=191. It is full of useful information (including the stickies at the top of the menu) and very knowledgeable posters.

TA's are very valuable and provide a legitimate service to the industry. It is reported that 75% of all cruises are booked through TA's. But finding the right on is important.

My criteria is pretty basic. I want a live person that I can talk to, with whom I can build a relationship regarding my preferences, etc. I would also want a company or individual who specializes in cruises and has a track record with the type of cruise I am interested in.

There is no need to provide any information such as that requested to have a discussion about cruise options. All that accomplishes is building their data base for emails, etc., and should not be a requirement to proceed with the service they offer. Providing your name and contact phone or email is all that you should provide - and only after you decide to proceed with them towards a booking.

I would also ask up front what their booking policies are regarding any fees charged. If they charge any fee separate from that of the cruise line you are interested in for originating, modifying, or canceling a booking made through them, I would move on. Those fees serve only to restrict your flexibility and generate extra revenue for them not supported by the cruise lines.

The key is to take your time and talk with several before making any decisions regarding a booking with anyone. Ask questions and get clear answers before you decide - it's your vacation and your money.

Did you say you were only going to use them for initial planning??Are you planning on using a TA to book the river cruise when you are ready?

When you talk with a TA let whoever you talk with know about when you plan on booking, they may have better information regarding early booking etc. I would ask questions of the TA such as what their specialty is and how many river cruises they have taken. Ask if they are connected with any Travel Agent groups that may have special events on certain cruises.

If you really are only doing initial planning and do not plan to book through the TA, watch for Travel Expos that are usually held once or twice a year in many cities - here you can get brochures and talk with professionals with your questions. This is also a good place to find a TA to work with.

TA's work for commission

if you are just going to ask questions & pick their brains with no booking in the end I am not surprised the agent would not talk to you without your details

that said

talk to friends & family ask who they used

google River cruise agents or just book direct with the cruise line

... If not, some of the river cruise lines (not all use travel agents) web sites have links to high volume agents. ....

I'll just repeat - not all river cruise lines use Travel Agents. Vantage is it's own travel company (not just river cruises) and, as such, doesn't work with other travel agents.

Go to the website for the river cruise line that you would like to book. You cannot book these directly with the river cruise line in most cases, but can see prices and information and then contact them for pricing. The river cruise line will put you in touch with one of their preferred travel agents or someone who only works for them. If you are just seeking information, look at the river cruise websites as they are fairly thorough. Ask people here about the various lines. Basically, I can tell you that most of these lines have outstanding food. Some lines have ships that are more basic than say Viking or Uniworld. Most river cruises have cabins for 1 or not supplement. It is an awesome way to travel!

It is not like an ocean cruise - the excursions are included for the most part, although you can just do your own thing if you wish - they usually have bicycles you can use if you want, however do ask where the boat will be when you get back - sometimes they move during the day.

Thank you to all who replied. I will certainly check the river cruising board, Capriccio. I've booked my ocean cruises (only 3 of 'me) myself.

Although I'm in the initial planning stage, I would absolutely book through whomever gives me information I can use and with whom I establish a relationship.

You guys have given me great advice and I appreciate it.

Mda1964

Thank you to all who replied. I will certainly check the river cruising board, Capriccio. I've booked my ocean cruises (only 3 of 'me) myself.

Although I'm in the initial planning stage, I would absolutely book through whomever gives me information I can use and with whom I establish a relationship.

You guys have given me great advice and I appreciate it.

Mda1964

I hope it works out for you. We have been avid ocean cruisers for the last decade on Princess but 2 years ago my brother's 82 year old mother in law (who can run circles around me) was looking for her children to accompany her on her first river cruise. To make a long story short my brother and sister-in-law were the only set of her kids willing to go so we signed on too. We went on Uniworld (recommended 'by somebody in her gym :D") on a Budapest to Amsterdam cruise in August 2015 and were hooked. Last May/June we took two more cruises on Uniworld (the Seine and the Rhone) and having just received Uniworld's brochure on Friday I suggested an Amsterdam to Basel - including the Moselle River - cruise to the group this evening. Now we are alternating ocean and river cruises. So much cruising to do but so little time (not to mention money ;p).

If you're apprehensive about using a TA, several of the lines we've used for European river cruises, we've booked directly with them. In fact, there is one I can think of that you can ONLY book directly through them.

My river cruise agent is someone who has actually taken river cruises. I found it to be extremely helpful to work with someone with first hand knowledge. She was also very helpful in planning a pre-cruise stay for me. Since she often travels solo, she books me in places and areas that she knows are safe for women traveling by themselves.

I have a different agent for ocean cruises. River and ocean cruises are two different animals.

Roz