Has anyone actually eaten in Share?

wishfulone

We dined there on its grand opening voyage aboard the Emerald. We like quality dining but not food that's too frou frou; Share was too frou frou for us. The ambiance was cold, the food good but rich and just not the types of flavors we would want to experience again, especially not for the price point of $39 pp. It was fun to try once, but we have no craving to go back. Now Crown Grill is my fav restaurant at sea, and I constantly crave that!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's high praise indeed! Not sure I'll be lining up for your wine selections though. Penfold's Grange isn't often on my shopping list ;)

Actually, the Grange is way out of my price range. I only know it by reputation. The Tignanello, however, was delightful, and the SHARE tarriff was less than the "street" price for me here in California. Another good one on the SHARE list is the Ridge Lytton Springs. Of course, I am a California red wine bigot, and, in my opinon the Ridge LS is, year in and year out, one of the most reliable wines there is.

;p

The leeks aren't showing on the Sun's sample menu. Sounds like dining tapas style would work well. Thanks for the suggestion.

No, the Sun menu is actually quite boring. I think the leeks were on Emerald or Ruby.

We ate at SHARE several times on the Emerald and enjoyed the experience. We went the first night because we had a specialty restaurant voucher, but liked it so much we went back twice and paid the tariff. I tried everything except the Beef Cheeks and liked it all.

Some have commented about the ambience, or lack of it, and I think the room does appear a bit sterile to those used to the other specialty restaurants, but I like it a whole lot better than the Crown Grill on the Royal and Regal where some of the seating is next to a noisy bar. When we were first seated I swear my ears were no more than three feet from the piano and I could not hear a thing my wife or the waiter was saying. I cannot imagine anyone enjoying their extra cost meal in the CG with all of that noise from a bar next to them.

... Try the leeks? Is that the chicken and leek pie from the MDR menu? ...

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. No, the leeks are not the chicken and leek pie from the MDR menu. I'd be surprised if there was anything at Share that was also in the MDR. The leeks in this dish were the star. It included eggs and cheese and was kind of gooey. I wouldn't have tried it except that earlier in the week several people were absolutely raving over it. They were right. Now I'm a big fan of properly prepared leeks.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. No, the leeks are not the chicken and leek pie from the MDR menu. I'd be surprised if there was anything at Share that was also in the MDR. The leeks in this dish were the star. It included eggs and cheese and was kind of gooey. I wouldn't have tried it except that earlier in the week several people were absolutely raving over it. They were right. Now I'm a big fan of properly prepared leeks.

You must be Welsh :cool:

Unfortunately I don't think that dish will be on our ships's menu but Share is sounding more promising than I expected.

I can't wait till it's replacement arrives. Hopefully it'll be something like the old Sabatini's.

From the sound of the amount of people who actually enjoy SHARE, it would't be long.

That's funny, 90% of the posters here enjoyed it, I'm guessing the stone haters have been slow off the mark.

That's funny, 90% of the posters here enjoyed it, I'm guessing the stone haters have been slow off the mark.

I suppose that style of food does appeal to some of the people but my tastes tend to be more basic.

My first experience was with the Curtis Stone items in the MDR & they were absolutely terrible.

I'm patiently waiting for it's replacement. :cool:

I suppose that style of food does appeal to some of the people but my tastes tend to be more basic.

My first experience was with the Curtis Stone items in the MDR & they were absolutely terrible.

I'm patiently waiting for it's replacement. :cool:

In the MDR on the Regal one of the Curtis Stone items was "pork belly". One of our table mates said that he couldn't understand how somebody could eat such a horrible thing. The next day I saw him with an enormous plate of bacon.

It just shows that those who haven't eaten their but still complain don't have the slightest idea what they are talking about.

Thanks for all your wonderful comments. I'm curious as to why so many of you ate at Share three times on the one cruise. Was there a special offer?

For us we ate twice on the first cruise, because it was just so good, but only once on the 2nd as there were several of us in the group and we had made lots of different plans so didn't have the time to go again - if we could have, we would have.

In the MDR on the Regal one of the Curtis Stone items was "pork belly". One of our table mates said that he couldn't understand how somebody could eat such a horrible thing. The next day I saw him with an enormous plate of bacon.

It just shows that those who haven't eaten their but still complain don't have the slightest idea what they are talking about.

There's an enormous difference between bacon & what was presented in the dining room as "pork belly".

If the Curtis Stone items were so good in the DR, why are they gone?

I got a surprise too. Still not sure if we'll give it a go though. We really didn't like the MDR offerings at all.

I thought leeks were something you avoided on ships

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There's an enormous difference between bacon & what was presented in the dining room as "pork belly".

Bacon equals fatty pork, cured.

Pork belly also equals fatty pork.

I can't understand why someone who eats cruise ship crispy bacon would turn their nose up at pork belly (assuming it's cooked nicely). :confused:

Anyone who loved it, but then was forced to dine there with my 'meat and potatoes and iceberg lettuce salad drowned in blue cheese dressing, preferably accompanied by an ice cold domestic beer' husband, would probably do as I did, which is decide it wasn't nearly good enough to offset that and then enter therapy to recover.

We havn't tried the Share, but we do not at all care for the menu changes that Curtis Stone inspired.In fact we gave up entirely on the dining room menus and now eat solely in Horizon Court or the specialty restaurants.

Many of our old favorites disappeared sadly

Doug

Thanks for your replies. It seems like a 50-50 situation to me. I reckon we'll have a look each night at how many people are dining in Share, ask around onboard and consider what we'll do. $78 on top of the already paid cruise tariff is a lot to pay for an iffy dining experience. I suspect our curiosity will get the better for us and we'll either enjoy the experience or waste our money. Will report back either way.

We are just off the Crown on a B2B that lasted 24 days. Every time we went by the Wheelhouse bar, they were begging for diners. We did see the food one night being delivered to a table of 4 and it looked good. We had decided to try it but never made it so maybe next time.

There were two Curtis Stone dishes showing up on the evening meal in the MDR on different nights. It was not every night. I had the seafood stew twice and liked it. I can't remember what the other dish was.

We are just off the Crown on a B2B that lasted 24 days. Every time we went by the Wheelhouse bar, they were begging for diners. We did see the food one night being delivered to a table of 4 and it looked good. We had decided to try it but never made it so maybe next time.

There were two Curtis Stone dishes showing up on the evening meal in the MDR on different nights. It was not every night. I had the seafood stew twice and liked it. I can't remember what the other dish was.[/quote

I was not aware that the Crown had Share. When was it added?