What to do when your travel agent makes a mistake and says she'll get fired for it?

shellzj

An agency that isn't up front (printing out what you paid for, including perks) doesn't deserve your patronage. If your incentives somehow don't show up on your onboard account, you have no written proof that they were promised to you.

Several posters have offered great advice, which I won't repeat.

I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction. Poor service from an agency that we frequented for over 25 years is now one of the reasons we're dealing directly with HAL. And, yes, we did give this agency the opportunity to fix their mistakes which they didn't do, so we concluded that they no longer wanted or appreciated our business. We cruise at least 3 times a year, so that's pretty good business activity, IMO. Maybe it's time for you to give your business to another agency too.

An agency that isn't up front (printing out what you paid for, including perks) doesn't deserve your patronage. If your incentives somehow don't show up on your onboard account, you have no written proof that they were promised to you.

I think you (OP) bear some of the responsibility here.... if you accept the promise of perks with no documentation you are taking a big gamble. I wouldn't want to do business with this agency.

I wouldn't discuss the matter any further with the TA, only management. If they can't make good on the booking to your satisfaction I'd cancel the booking and start over. Take my losses as a lesson, and take my business elsewhere. What happens to the agent is not your problem, not your responsibility.

We have heard here of TAs that are less than stellar, kiting funds, bait and switch etc. Who knows what type of error this really was, and without documentation there's no way to prove your case unfortunately. I hope your next booking is happier, and thank you for explaining your situation so we can all learn. m--

OP, were it I, I would be wanting what I had contracted for, or an equivalent: she can refund me the $1200 in cash. If she wanted to give me that in OBC, so long as I would be refunded any not used, fine.

She may be speculating that she will be fired, but her employer has given her no reason to think that. Most employers will not fire someone on a first mistake, or even a second or third. First action is retrain! If the employer truly has threatened to fire the TA, then the TA really should be looking for another line of work, as they have already made more than one mistake.

Too many people don't want to report things to the boss, because they don't want the employee to get in trouble, but they are doing the employee, the boss, and other clients, a favor by reporting mistakes. How else will the boss know to step in and try to correct them?

How many other clients should be caused financial injury because of clients who don't speak up when something goes wrong?

The agency has errors & omissions insurance to make them whole. Let them use it to make you whole.

Hello Cruisers,

In July 2016, I booked my cruise over the phone with a very large travel agency for a Holland America 7-night Alaskan cruise out of Seattle with a June 3, 2017 sail date. I booked this cruise right after HAL announced their Explore4 promotion, which for the suite I booked includes the following:

• Signature Beverage Package
  • 200 internet minutes
  • Prepaid gratuities
  • Dinner for 2 at the Pinnacle Grille
  • About $1,200 in benefits I was/am excited about using

However, as I was booking plane tickets to Seattle, shore excursions, etc., I got worried that I didn't see any mention of the promotions on my HAL account. Low and behold, the agent booked the wrong rate code. Instead of booking Explore4, she booked the agency's "group code", which was supposedly $200 cheaper but didn't include Explore4.

I talked to the agent this week, and she knows she made a mistake (no self-respecting agent would knowingly book a rate that was $200 cheaper given that the promotions were worth at least $1200), and she sounds genuinely sorry about it. However, she says that HAL won't let her fix it and that her employer will:

1. Dock her pay check for the $1200 difference (to add the promotion items back in)
  2. Then fire her

She almost sounded like she was about to cry. This was at least the second cruise I've booked through this individual in two years (5th through the agency); she's not a novice agent, and she really tries to be helpful. But in this case, she just made a mistake because she's human.

So what would you do?

I don't want this agent to lose her job, but I also don't think I should be on the hook for $1,200. I think that this very large agency is probably one of the largest travel agencies in the US, and that they should be able to easily fix this without anyone losing money or their jobs.

And I can't imagine this is the first time that an agent has booked the wrong rate code.

(Before you ask or make accusations, I didn't notice the error on my e-invoice in July because for whatever reason, this very large agency never documents these types of promotions in writing. None of my last 4 bookings with them has ever enumerated free drinks, gratuities, etc. You just have to trust it's there and/or double check directly with the cruise line - which, lesson learned, I should have called HAL sooner.)

(Update - I emailed her and told her I didn't want to lose her job and offered to pay the $200 in the "mistake fare." But now I wonder if she's playing me? I found a screenshot I made at the time of booking at another site advertising a lower fare than I paid with the same promotions, but I can't be sure it was the exact same booking type.)

Thanks for your collective help.

many years ago we booked a cruise with a small agency, we were promised an on board credit, nothing in writing... at the time of final payment... still nothing in writing... I asked about the credit. Agent did not recall the promise. I chalked it up to never accept a promise if it is not in writing... figured my lesson had been learned the hard way.

We left for our trip, were sitting in our hotel in Ft Lauderdale... got a call from the agent, who had arranged through the cruise line to get us upgraded to a full suite for 10 days in lieu of the on board credit.

I think the agent should talk to her boss, if large agency, I would guess between the agency and cruise line something could be worked out to your satisfaction.

I don't think HAL has any obligation since the travel agent used the wrong rate code. I would negotiate with the management of the travel agency -- not the travel agent who made the mistake. Also, in the future I would not deal with a travel agent who would not list all the promos and shipboard credit on their confirmation. You really need printed proof when you go on your cruise just in case the ship doesn't have a record of the perks to which you are entitled.

First of all, it's extremely kind and caring of you to be concerned about your agent's wellbeing in light of this costly mistake! You shouldn't have to pay for it, though. She needs to make good on it. If it was a $50 mistake, you could let it go to potentially save her job, but this is a gigantic amount of money. One thing you could do is ask to speak to a supervisor and tell him/her that you don't want the agent to lose her job because she's been really helpful, but you do need this fixed. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And I can't imagine this is the first time that an agent has booked the wrong rate code...

I am willing to bet that it is not the first time that this particular agent has made this mistake.

When agents make mistakes like these - it not only costs the agency money in out of pocket compensation, but trust is broken with the passenger and the agency. It also raises a red flag between the agency and HAL as HAL is paying the agency to look after its passengers.

Remember - these mistakes are easily rectified by the agent at the time of booking. The agent just needs to make the booking and then before disconnecting the call, review the complete details of the booking with you for accuracy. Clearly, your agent did not do this.

You are not responsible should the agent lose their job. The agent is responsible for her own mistakes and her own short comings.

I agree with the others that you need to hold the TA's feet to the fire. That is the purpose of a company having E & O insurance. However, why are you dealing with a TA that won't specify a promotion detail on your invoice? We have always had our online TA's include that on our confirmations. Change your TA!

Here is why I think she is playing you...

If she knows that the correction would be for her employer to *both* dock her pay AND fire her then it would be to her benefit to just pay the $1200 out of pocket and not inform her boss. Since she is going to lose the money anyway she might as well keep her job too.

I think she is being dishonest that she will be fired which *to me* says she needs to be reported. That is highly unethical to guilt a customer for an employee mistake. Yes, everyone makes mistakes but we are all expected to face our mistakes and not try to weasel out of it by making others feel responsible for the repercussions. If this is her first mistake (and would be fired) then she probably shouldn't be working for a place like that anyway and at some point will realize it. I highly doubt this is her first mistake, or second, if she would really be fired.

She is playing you. Some people are experts at mock sincerity.

This is exactly why travel agencies pay for Errors and Omissions (E and O) Insurance. It is a cost of doing business. Employees make mistakes. I remember a time when a travel agent did not tell a client that Brazil required a visa to enter the country on business. The client missed a meeting that caused his company a multi million dollar contract!! No travel agency operates (or should operate) without E&O Insurance!!

Hello Cruisers,

In July 2016, I booked my cruise over the phone with a very large travel agency for a Holland America 7-night Alaskan cruise out of Seattle with a June 3, 2017 sail date. I booked this cruise right after HAL announced their Explore4 promotion, which for the suite I booked includes the following:

• Signature Beverage Package
  • 200 internet minutes
  • Prepaid gratuities
  • Dinner for 2 at the Pinnacle Grille
  • About $1,200 in benefits I was/am excited about using

However, as I was booking plane tickets to Seattle, shore excursions, etc., I got worried that I didn't see any mention of the promotions on my HAL account. Low and behold, the agent booked the wrong rate code. Instead of booking Explore4, she booked the agency's "group code", which was supposedly $200 cheaper but didn't include Explore4.

I talked to the agent this week, and she knows she made a mistake (no self-respecting agent would knowingly book a rate that was $200 cheaper given that the promotions were worth at least $1200), and she sounds genuinely sorry about it. However, she says that HAL won't let her fix it and that her employer will:

1. Dock her pay check for the $1200 difference (to add the promotion items back in)
  2. Then fire her

She almost sounded like she was about to cry. This was at least the second cruise I've booked through this individual in two years (5th through the agency); she's not a novice agent, and she really tries to be helpful. But in this case, she just made a mistake because she's human.

So what would you do?

I don't want this agent to lose her job, but I also don't think I should be on the hook for $1,200. I think that this very large agency is probably one of the largest travel agencies in the US, and that they should be able to easily fix this without anyone losing money or their jobs.

And I can't imagine this is the first time that an agent has booked the wrong rate code.

(Before you ask or make accusations, I didn't notice the error on my e-invoice in July because for whatever reason, this very large agency never documents these types of promotions in writing. None of my last 4 bookings with them has ever enumerated free drinks, gratuities, etc. You just have to trust it's there and/or double check directly with the cruise line - which, lesson learned, I should have called HAL sooner.)

(Update - I emailed her and told her I didn't want to lose her job and offered to pay the $200 in the "mistake fare." But now I wonder if she's playing me? I found a screenshot I made at the time of booking at another site advertising a lower fare than I paid with the same promotions, but I can't be sure it was the exact same booking type.)

Thanks for your collective help.

Normally people do not get fired for their 1st or even 2nd mistake. $1200 is a lot of money. They need to make you whole and if she gets fired - tough.

DON

Years ago I was temporarily managing a well-known national travel agency when a senior agent came to me in a panic because, after collecting a deposit, she had mistakenly failed to book a honeymoon couple months before on a now sold-out Cunard sailing. I called a Cunard sales rep and got the problem fixed.

It didn't take long to see that this agent was lazy, gossipy and evasive, bullied other people, and put her energies into transferring bookings made by former agents to her own agent number (contrary to company policy) in order to earn commissions she wasn't entitled to. She was a bad apple poisoning the atmosphere for others who were looking for transfers to get away from her. Her unprofessionalism and errors should have been documented years before.

I'm not saying your agent is a bad apple - honest mistakes happen and can be fixed. But as others have posted, good agents don't typically lose jobs over such things unless there's a pattern. They don't put the burden on the client to fix their own screw-ups, and bad agents need to be reported to management.

And I'd definitely find a new agency that documents bookings properly.

Given the length of time that has passed, you bear someresponsibility, IMO for this error remainin g for so long don't you always check booking confirmations? If not, why not? Do you care that muuch a bout the $$$ for this woman to lose her job? Had you sen the errrors ooner, perhaps HAL may have permitted her to correcxt it?

Is it worth that much to you? I am not saying you do not have the right to say, yes, you care that much. I would not but, that is a personal choice and circustsance. I would aways err onthe side of someone maintaining their livelihood. None of us are perfect and we all make mistakes. Should we all u lose our means of supporting ourselves and our families? h AVE A HEART. I'D choke ON that money if I cost a TA her job be ause she made a human error I don't love money enough to live with that.

I don't classify this as catastrophe.

For those or you mistake proof persons. Good for you. ;)

I'm shocked that you don't think that a $1200 mistake is serious..:confused:

Agree the Psgr. is also to partially to blame for not double checking her booking, but the Travel Agent should rectify a $1200 mistake immediately..

As others have said, that is what "Errors & Omissions Insurance" is for..

I previously used a local (but big national) travel company and now use a HAL PCC (personal cruise consultant). In dealing with both I made sure I got a hard copy of the benefits/perks/price/extras immediately and double checked them. Mistakes have been made by both, but were quickly fixed due to my pointing them out the same day.

Also, I would never book any non-refundable airfares (or the like) until I had everything from my cruise booking "set in stone" and confirmed.

Some people (like most of my relatives) think I am too paranoid about reservations, but after 30 years of travel for business on a weekly basis I have experienced far too many "messed up" situations that I really do not want to repeat again.

As the saying goes "Trust but verify"!

Exactly our approach after many years of frequent business travel. We never buy any airfare until we are inside the final payment window (if flying to a cruise). Same for non refundable hotels. Over the past few years we have actually found it less expensive to buy air inside this window that far in advance.

If we buy a cruise, airline seat, or hotel night we get everything in writing and double check the dates. If we buy it through a third party we immediately go on to the travel provider site to ensure that the reservations codes, restrictions, dates, etc. agree with the third party documentation that we have received from the agency. If we deal with a TA it is not a friend nor a friend to be. Strictly a business relationship.

Trust but verify is also our travel motto. Most especially when we are buying travel insurance! We have dealt with far too many clueless TA's who are afraid to say those words...'I don't know the answer to that but I will find out and get back to you..

Exactly our approach after many years of frequent business travel. We never buy any airfare until we are inside the final payment window (if flying to a cruise). Same for non refundable hotels. Over the past few years we have actually found it less expensive to buy air inside this window that far in advance.

If we buy a cruise, airline seat, or hotel night we get everything in writing and double check the dates. If we buy it through a third party we immediately go on to the travel provider site to ensure that the reservations codes, restrictions, dates, etc. agree with the third party documentation that we have received from the agency. If we deal with a TA it is not a friend nor a friend to be. Strictly a business relationship.

Trust but verify is also our travel motto. Most especially when we are buying travel insurance! We have dealt with far too many clueless TA's who are afraid to say those words...'I don't know the answer to that but I will find out and get back to you..

Same here. I've actually gotten to the point where I book everything on my own directly with the companies. I've had bad luck with TA's in the past. Meaning I'm the one who has to chase them down because I've noticed the price has dropped on our trip or even final payment is due and they haven't contacted me.

One of my sisters was a TA for years and even she gave me the run around. lol. She left the business because the commissions earned on trips had gotten so small it was no longer profitable for her.

She misses the agent travel perks but the salary wasn't great.

I think this is why so many of the agents we've dealt with just don't go that extra mile any longer.

Same here. I've actually gotten to the point where I book everything on my own directly with the companies. I've had bad luck with TA's in the past. Meaning I'm the one who has to chase them down because I've noticed the price has dropped on our trip or even final payment is due and they haven't contacted me.

Do you know of a cruise line that will contact you in the event of a price drop?

Is this a serious question? [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It would appear from post #44 (below) that it is reasonable to expect the cruise lines to contact you in the event of a price drop.

I think this is why so many of the agents we've dealt with just don't go that extra mile any longer.

One reason that a business would pay for insurance against this type of loss is that they cannot legally (at least in the states where I have done business) take the money from the employee. If they do fire her and try to take the funds (or continue to employ her and take the funds) her next stop should be at an attorney's office.

This is NOT the customer's problem.

It would appear from post #44 (below) that it is reasonable to expect the cruise lines to contact you in the event of a price drop.

I never said cruise line...read my post I said travel agent.

2 different things